Daehyun: New Friend

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  We reach the dining hall where my siblings and father are standing near their seats. As I look around, I notice Himchan and the other Youngjae were not here. Judging by the number of plates, the crowd will be small. I make sure Jaebum enters first before I make my way to my seat.

  As he passes my father and to the end of the table, everyone’s eyes are on him. They follow until he pulls out his chair and sits down. We all bow in sync and sit. I take a seat next to Sumin since Seungho is sitting next to my father. I don’t know who is worse, Sumin or Father, but I do know no matter where I sit, someone will be giving me judging glares.

  We sit in silence as we wait for Himchan and the other Youngjae to arrive. There’s clear tension in the air. While we’re sitting here, I’m reminded of the times when I lived alone without my family and with just my servants. I’m reminded of how lonely it was when I sit on that chair and drink a glass of animal blood. However, that loneliness didn’t last long as more and more humans came into my life. They changed me and helped me remember my uncle and why he was so fond of the human world. As I’m sitting here, there may be multiple people I know in the same room, but they don’t give me the same comfort that Zelo, L, and especially Youngjae gave me.

  The doors burst open and everyone stands. Himchan and Youngjae rush inside. Their footsteps are heavy. Their expression is grave. Himchan and Youngjae settle on either side of Jaebum. We all bow as a greeting before sitting down. As if on cue, the food is brought in which consists of raw meat and glasses of blood. My stomach churns at the scent, knowing that these are all from humans that were captured and kept specifically for meals.

  “Eat,” the other Youngjae commands and motions Jaebum to take something.

  Jaebum doesn’t move and simply stares at the meal.

  “Oh, yes, I forgot. You don’t eat or drink the same things as we do. Miko!”

  A young human maid enters. She’s trembling.

  “Could you ask the cook to prepare something for our dear Father? Maybe something like beef or pork. Anything really as long as it’s cooked.”

  The maid bows and hastily makes her way back to the kitchen.

  My brows furrow as I stare at Jaebum. He doesn’t drink blood? He can eat food like any normal human? If he’s like that, then why do we have to feast on raw meat?

  I don’t touch the food as everyone else digs in. Sumin notices and jabs me on my arm.

  “Don’t worry, your precious human isn’t among these dead carcasses.” She sneers and rolls her eyes. “Just because you refuse to eat human meat and drink human blood, you can’t deny the fact that you’re a bloodthirsty being.”

  I glare at her. I know what she means, but I can’t bring myself to eat.

  Himchan clears his throat.

  “Daehyun, eat,” my Father commands. His dark eyes are digging deep into mine. For a split second, they glow red before returning to the normal dark brown color.

  My hands are shaking as I reach for a glass. The smell of human blood is certainly tempting. It smells and tastes so much sweeter than animal blood, but deep inside, all I can think about is Youngjae and the way his blood tastes and how he smelled of flowers. It’s only his blood that can satisfy me. I let my lips touch the glass and sip onto the blood. It’s enough to make me want more as my primal instinct takes over. I take a piece of raw meat and bite into it and the fresh blood from it. My body doesn’t stop trembling, however, and I can feel tears forcing their way out of my eyes. All I can think about is Youngjae, and wonder if he is okay.

  As my teeth are sinking in on the meat, I glance up and see Jaebum staring at me. When I meet his gaze, he drops his eyes and finds somewhere else to look at. I let go of the meat and drop it on my plate. I can’t do this. I don’t want to be like this. Why did I have to be born into this world as a vampire?

  Youngjae. I hope you are okay.

  Moments later, Jaebum’s food arrives, but what followed the servants in is someone I have never met before. Upon entering, I can smell the blood coming off of him. It is human blood, but it isn’t blood I recognize. His eyes shift towards me and a chill runs up my spine. Who is this vampire? He scoffs and makes his way towards the other Youngjae without a bow.

  He leans over and whispers something into Youngjae’s ear.

  More eyes are now looking at me.

  “I see,” Youngjae says out loud. “So they are getting closer.”

  Himchan shifts in his seat. “If you don’t mind me asking, but what do you mean?”

  “There’s a group of humans who entered the outskirts of the Dome. Jackson was able to hold them off and prevent them from listening to our speech because,” he taps the temple of his forehead, “as a second generation vampire, he has the ability to speak telepathically to me, so I was able to stop myself from announcing our plan and vision for the future.”

  What does he mean by that? Wait. Was Youngjae among that group?

  “He has also informed me that your former Doll was there.”

  Himchan bites his bottom lip and clenches his fists. “So they’re starting to make their move. We need to finish our plan as soon as possible.”

  He raises his hand. “No need to rush things. My children will take care of them if they ever get close to the Center. Plus, they won’t be able to go unnoticed with that special human that’s with them.”

  My heart skips a beat. It’s Youngjae. I know they’re talking about him. I in a breath. He’s still alive.

  “You’re right.”

  The other Youngjae motions Jackson to go out. “You may leave and tell the others to go to their post. It seems that things will get slightly troublesome if we let those humans near us.”

  Jackson bows. “Yes, Father.”

  Father? I thought Jaebum was the original creator of us?

  As Jackson made his way out the door, he looks at me and his voice echoes in my mind, “It’s best to let go of your feelings for that human. He will die anyways.”

  I stand, causi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter