Youngjae: New Enemy

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  We find a spot close enough to listen, but far enough not to be detected. We can't see anything from where we are as the walls obscure our vision of what goes on in the Center. However, it is more important to hear rather than see what is going on.

  "Junhong, what is going on in the Center?" Yongguk radios in. He looks around to make sure no vampire is around.

  There is none.

  "Exactly how we saw it last night. Vampires are gathered everywhere and just waiting. I'm assuming they haven't started?"

  "No. Just keep watch. If you see someone leaving the first wall, you must let us know immediately."

  "Of course."

  I feel uncomfortable as we wait and listen to the speech going on at the Center. The boy's face constantly appears on my mind: his eyes wide and cloudy as the blood pooled around his wound. My eyes glance at the prisoner who shot the boy and immediately make eye contact. I glare before diverting my gaze to Yongguk. I want to ask him questions specifically about Himchan. What was their relationship before all this? Why was he quoting him? How does he not show hatred to the vampire that is partially responsible for the fall? I'm unable to ask as we hear someone introducing someone with a name like mine. 

  Youngjae? There's a vampire that has the same name as me? I think to myself. It's such a strange feeling to hear my name. It's as if I'm the one who's being introduced. Could Daehyun be feeling the same way? I listen carefully.

  "Deepest apologies for making you gather here this early, but I wanted you all to meet Father while he is feeling well. Ever since Father's awakening, he's taken a while to fully recover as his body was dormant for so long. Now, he is able to talk and run as much as he wants to," the other Youngjae starts. His voice sends a chill down my spine. There's this strange confidence that emits from him. I can just imagine what his appearance is like - probably looks ten years older, tall and built with cold and dark eyes.

  The speech continues, but I hear nothing as I feel eyes watching me. I look to where the ex-prisoner is, but he, too, is listening to the speech like everyone else. What is this feeling? My hair at the back of my neck stands and I can't help but sense someone else is with us. However, Junhong hasn't communicated with us about anyone leaving the Dome. That is unless someone stayed behind.

  I continue to scan the area, but see nothing. Maybe it's just my imagination. I must be on alert from previous experience. 

  Everyone around me tenses. I try to listen to the speech, but no matter how much I try, something in the back of my mind is screaming to be careful. What is going on?

  Suddenly, my head throbs and everyone in the team falls to the ground and groans in agony. Someone, somewhere is emitting pheromones. These pheromones are not like the pheromones I've encountered before. I typically can't feel the pain that comes with vampire pheromones, but this one is stronger and filled with hatred.

  Whoever this is is coming closer. The pain in my head increases, almost making me feel dizzy.

  Yongguk is on the ground, curled in a ball with his hands grabbing his hair.

  I hear Junhong, but I can't make out his words. The world around me blurs. I spot a silhouette of a tall figure approaching us. If this goes any further, I know I will pass out as my vision goes in and out.

  The figure comes closer with slow steps. His red eyes are clear within the impending darkness. Who is this? I have never met someone who could make me feel the effects of pheromones. My body is trembling.

  Then, all at once, everything returns to normal for me. Everyone around me is still on their knees, frozen on the spot. He must still be emitting pheromones that I cann tolerate. The silhouette manifests as an unknown vampire. He's wearing all black like a grim reaper. His expression is stone cold and his gaze is set to mine. I nearly fall to my knees. Who is this vampire?

  He smirks. "My, my, my. Looks like I've hit a jackpot. I'm surprised that a mere human didn't fall to their knees after experiencing my pheromones. You must be the boy who has the same name as my Creator, Youngjae."

  I squint my eyes. How does he know my name?

  As if he read my thoughts, he chuckles. "You may think that no one knows who you are, but in fact, you are quite popular with my generation. After all, your blood is quite special." He takes a deep breath with his eyes closed as if trying to smell me from where he was. "Yes, your blood is special and very familiar to my nose. He his lips. "I wonder what it would taste like if I drank some. I'm sure Daehyun wouldn't mind."

  I stiffen. Daehyun? "How do you know about Daehyun?" Does that mean he's alive?

  "Did I hit a weak spot?" He comes closer. "Daehyun is very much alive, but he might as well be dead. After all, he's created plenty of sins that are unforgivable, and one in particular involves you."

  My heart skips a beat. How? How does he know so much about Daehyun and my relationship? Did Himchan inform him? That can't be. "Where is he?"

  "Isn't it obvious? He's at the Center, but don't worry, he plays an important role in our plan, so no one is allowed to harm him, sadly. In fact, it was Himchan's orders. I don't know why he would want to keep a traitor like him. He doesn't belong to our kind. Ah, enough chit-chat. I've been waiting here for so long. It's about time something interesting happens, so let me congradulate you for allowing me to be entertained." His eyes scanned the rest of the group before pouting. "Boring. Everyone here is too weak for my pheromones. It won't be fun if I kill everyone here without a challenge."

  I step in front of Yongguk who is slowly recovering. He's now on his knees and head raised, but it's clear he's still in pain as he doesn't even stop me from protecting him. I will not let anyone die. I'm not going to allow myself watch the people I care about disappear from my life again. I will not let another event like Luca's or Daehyun's occur ever again. "You will not harm anyone here."

  The unknown vampire raised his eyebro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter