Daehyun: Awakening

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  I wake up earlier than usual for reasons I cannot understand. I didn't have a nightmare and nothing around me would have disrupted my slumber. It doesn't matter since Himchan and the other Youngjae will have another announcement tonight before sunrise.

  I leave my room that's certainly smaller than the one in my old home and find a dark and empty corridor. Since the Center used to be a place for guards and scientists, they were all confined in single rooms on the first floor while underground was where they worked. Many vampires who are part of the Bloodlines live here, but for the rest of the high class family, they live within the city. Unfortunately for me, Himchan is a room over. I wasn't interested in conversing with him if he comes out of his room, so I make my way through the corridor and out the door.

  It's still quiet as many of the shop owners and such are not ready for the night. A few vampires roam but mainly to search for wandering prey outside the Center. I pass through. This place is similar to the town the Bank used to be in, but now we have several walls barricading us from the rest of the island. The sky above is still fake, but soon we will be able to live within this fake sky during day and night. One day, I will be able to see what humans see when everything isn't so dark.

  I reach into my pocket and feel the box in my hand. My heart wrenches as I wrap my fingers around it. I know that one day Youngjae and I will meet again and I will give this to him just like I had planned to. I continue to walk around the streets and take in a deep breath. There's no longer the scent of blood filling the air. Instead, the smell of perfume enters my nostrils as I pass by one of the shops. It reminds me of the old life I used to live.

  "All that's gone," I mutter to myself.

  It's only twilight, close to dawn. The Sky is pixelated with shades of orange, pink, and purple while the Stars and Moon shine where it is dark. I can step out of the Center and enter one of the divisions, but I refuse to do so because eyes are constantly watching me. All I can revel in for now is this fake sky and be glad that I live in the more luxurious area.

  I'm walking with my own thoughts when someone crashes into me. I scowl and glare at the man in front of me. He's someone I have never seen before and he appears to look my age.

  "Sorry!" He exclaims and bows. As he stands, his eyes shift to the side and widen. "Uh... Sorry again!" He bows a few more times before bolting the other direction.

  What just happened? I glance around and see these two vampires who are usually guarding Himchan bounding up to me, huffing. They both stop by me. One hunches over to catch her breath while the other asks, "Young Master Jung. Have you seen someone run by and if so, where did he go?"

  I'm assuming they mean the guy I just bumped into. I point to the direction where I saw him run off to. "He went that way."

  He bows and pats his partner. "Let's go."

  She groans. "Why do we have to take care of him?" She complains.

  "Himchan's orders. Hurry."

  They run off.

  Just what is going on? I shake it off and continue my little walk with no interruptions until the announcement booms across the Center and beyond: "We will have another meeting in an hour." Maybe walking an hour more doesn't hurt. I make my rounds, taking in the scenery. After about ten minutes, I find myself walking back towards the building.

  "Little bro, what are you doing out so early?" Sumin comes up from behind me and turns me around.

  All I want is a calming walk with no interruptions. I roll my eyes. "What is it, Sumin?"

  She squint her eyes and a scowl appears on her lips which soon turns into a smile. Her nails dig into my shoulder. "I came to pick you up. Father wants to talk to you and make sure you're all dressed up because after our little announcement, we will be dining with Youngjae and Jaebum."

  "What if I don't want to go?"

  She squeezes my arm tighter. I try not to flinch. Through clenched teeth, she orders, "You will go or else we will starve you until you're on the brink of insanity and I know how much you love it when we send you down to the prisoners."

  I give in. "Fine." The last time I went berserk was the first time I came to the Center. I refused to feast as the image of corpses flashed before my eyes. The longer a vampire doesn't drink blood, the more desperate they become to search for food. First, they become weak, and once they pass that point, they become a ravenous hunter, tearing anything in their way. I was well aware of that fact, but every time I drank the blood of another human, I throw it up. It took a week until they confined me in a prison cell with three other human prisoners. Every memory of that encounter was empty. All I can remember now is the torn bodies below me and the blood across my mouth and hands.

  Sumin releases me and pats my shoulder. "Glad you understand. Well, even if you refuse a second time, I would've just knocked you out and carried you to Father." She giggles and turns on her heel. "Well, c'mon Little Brother. Father is waiting."

  We don't speak as we return to the building and walk down the corridor. Once we reach my father's room at the end of the hall, Sumin doesn't knock and steps right in and announces, "Now we have everyone here."

  Not only is my father in the room, but so is Himchan and my step-brother, Seungho. All their eyes are on me as I make my way to the center of the room. "What is going on?"

  Himchan grins. "We have a few things to discuss before we all step onto that stage."

  All of us will be on stage?

  "Since your father and I are running this whole rebellion, Youngjae told us that he wants to properly introduce us to our Father," Himchan explains. "Unfortunately, we ran into some trouble last minute, so we will have to save the introductions for later."

  "Then, I can leave." I'm ready to go. All these eyes on me are making me uncomfortable.

  "Not so fast, Daehyun," my father's voice booms.

  I freeze.

  "You will behave when we are with Sir Youngjae and our Father. I don't want to cause any trouble."

  I nod. What can I say? I'm completely defenseless when it comes to my father. In the corner of my eye, I see Himchan smirking. I ignore him. There's no point in wasting my attention on him. "If that is all you have to say, I will take my leave." I walk past Sumin who is standing behind the door. She doesn't seem to stop me, but as I have my hand on the knob, my father's voice comes again.

  "I want you to look your best tonight and try not to sulk so much. Everyone will be watching you."

  All eyes will be on me and my family tonight. I don't know how I feel about this. I typically try to avoid any major events like this when I'm the center of attention but it seems that I cannot avoid this one. "Yes, Father." I push the door open and leave the room.

  I meet with my family, including Himchan backstage of the open auditorium. From there, I can hear everyone gathering just as they did last night. There's probably more tonight since our Father will be making his appearance and more housing is being opened for those living in the outskirts of the walls.

  "Seems like we're still missing Father," Himchan comments as he comes up behind me.

  What is with everyone coming from behind tonight?

  I ignore him and walk near the end of the stage to see how many citizens are present. Looks like it stretches beyond the Center walls.

  Himchan sighs. "Still being rude as usual, huh?"

  I say nothing.

  "You're lucky all you have to do is stand there and look pretty while your father and I work our off to prepare a speech. You do understand that leading this revolt is quite difficult. There's just so many things you have to consider and you have to find a way to keep the majority happy." He throws his arms up.

  Why is he even talking to me? It's not like I care. "Are you telling me I should help? I do agree with a world where we can live during the Day, but I don't agree on killing the humans to do so."

  Himchan is silent for a while, his eyes darting from side to side and not looking at anything in particular. Then,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter