Youngjae: Mission

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  The vampires cheer, throwing their fist up in the air. From the screen, we can see their eyes glowing with determination. Whatever is happening inside, it is something everyone is agreeing upon. Soon enough, the crowd dies down and they begin filing out. Among the crowd, I still search for Daehyun, but no matter how hard I try, everyone's faces become a blur. From behind, we hear the door open and Sehun steps in. He bows before going to Yongguk and whispering to him.

  "I'll be there in a mintue," Yongguk states and turns to us. "We have word from the outside. They will be sending ships to transport some of the prisoners to safer land."

  I tilt my head. "Would that really be a good idea? What if a vampire spots the ship and they try to take over it?"

  Yongguk pats my head like a little child. "Have you forgotten that vampires only live in the darkness? We will be transporting them in the morning, but even then, we will take precautions." Yongguk turns his head towards the door where Sehun is waiting. He nods to him before turning to us. "Once you're done here, I want you all to rest. We will start anew tomorrow night and want you all to be alert, especially you, Youngjae. We will be entering the ruins to gain more information about this new Center." He gives us stern eyes, indicating we can't argue with him, so we nod slowly. He smiles. "Good. I will see you tomorrow night." Yongguk walks up to Sehun and allows him to lead him out the door. It shuts quietly behind.

  "It sounds like a good idea," Jongup states. His eyes are still glued to the screen. Vampires are still filing out in clusters, but none seemed to stop and talk amongst each other. "After all, everyone is getting a bit jittery down there. I know if I wasn't assigned to this position, I would be so bored out of my mind."

  Junhong nods his head. "And if we keep them there any longer, we won't have enough food or water to serve them."

  My eyes continue to stare at the screen as Jongup and Junhong continue their conversation. At one point they changed topic, but all I can think about is Daehyun. I just need a sign - something - to know that he's still alive, yet no matter how hard I try, nothing seems to calm my nerves.

  There's barely anyone left in the views of the camera, and those who remained were simply standing there, talking amongst each other. They seem to pay no mind to their surroundings, but then that also makes me wonder how they don't notice the cameras. If you stare long enough, you will notice the red dot to indicate it recording. I continue to stare and just as the vampires head turns, I'm broken from my trance when I feel a tap on my shoulder. 

When I turn to see who it is, I find myself looking at Junhong with a worried expression plastered on his face.

  "Are you alright, Youngjae? You've been staring at that screen without saying anything for a long time."

  "Huh?" I become aware of my surroundings. "I'm fine. I was just spacing out."

  Junhong doesn't look convinced, but he shrugs it off anyways.

  Jongup presses a few buttons and switches the screens towards the ruins. There's still some time before they would return to their 'home.' "Looks like there won't be that much activity tonight," he states while sitting back. "If you want, you two can go to sleep. After all, I have a partner with me." He rolls to the other side where our other Techie, Jihun, is sitting.

  Jihun gives him a look and rolls his eyes. "You better not fall asleep like last time," he mutters.

  Jongup laughs nervously and scratches the back of his head. "It's not like I do it on purpose. Plus, nothing really happens in the morning. Most of the activity happens at night." He rolls back to his station and looks back up at us. "Yeah, so, anyways, get some rest and Junhong, you can take my place when you wake up. And you, Youngjae, try to sleep. You have bags under your eyes."

  I simply give him a half smile. I try sleeping as much as I can, but I always wake up in the middle of my slumber as my dreams of the past come back and haunt me. The night the Dome fell constantly replays in my head, and sometimes it would continue, following what might have happened to Daehyun. Most end up him dying while others end up with him being tortured for who knows what, but then, there's always that little hope that he's alive and well.

  Junhong and I step outside and walk towards our rooms. The halls were silent even when people pass us by. Not many of us are friendly with each other as some who volunteered are prisoners. It's hard for me to comprehend what they're thinking inside their heads. Maybe since we're all fighting the same enemy, we have this unspoken truce, and as long as we all get out of here alive, no one would harm each other.

  "You still think about him, don't you?" Junhong asks as we turn another corner.

  I nod. "Everyday."

  "Me, too. It's probably not the same way you think about him, but I kind of do miss working with him." He pauses and stops at his door. "I'm sure he's fine. I can just feel it. I know he's strong. He even managed to help Jongup, so please don't beat yourself up because you couldn't do anything. I know it'll be hard, but I believe in you." Junhong stares into me, trying to read my expression. When he doesn't receive an answer, he sighs and enters his room.

  I stand in the hallway for a moment, letting his words sink in. Everything is easier said than done. He doesn't understand how many times I tell myself Daehyun will be alright and that one day I may meet him. However, no matter how many times I think that, I can't help but have this heavy feeling weigh me down. Something big is going to happen. The vampires didn't call out a meeting like this just because they wanted to. Jaebum is alive and they already know their plans. I shiver, reminding myself of Himchan's words: "It's time for the fall of humans and the rise of vampires." 

  "Don't think too much about it," I mutter to myself, "We'll be able to stop them." I step inside my room and am greeted with emptiness. It's a tiny room with a single twin-sized bed pushed to the side. There's a small drawer to keep any essentials such as clothes and little trinkets, but I don't have much. The only clothes I have are whatever was left from this bunker and whatever Yongguk had from his own trip here on this island. Underneath all those clothes was the handkerchief Daehyun gave me. I take it out and place it close to my face. The peppermint scent is fading, but it's still there. Please, don't disappear. I need this to remain as a reminder of him.

  I place it back inside and climb on my bed. I still can't sleep and end up staring at the blank ceiling. This bunker will not last long, considering all the people in here, but if we can transport them in groups, then maybe we'll have more time to prevent this war from happening. I shut my eyes, trying to force myself to sleep, but it takes about an hour until I let myself go.

  Peppermint. I can smell peppermint filling my nostrils and for some reason, a warmth courses around me. I open my eyes to see a sleeping Daehyun next to me with his arms wrapped around me. Why do I feel this warmth? He's a vampire. He should be cold.

  No.

  This is not the same warmth you get from being in contact with another human being. This warmth is the feeling of comfort and security. As I'm lying here, I can feel his breath tickling my cheeks and can't help but smile. My hand reaches out and caresses his own checks.

  His eyes flutter open and find myself getting lost in those deep brown orbs. His thick lips curve into a smile.

  We say no words. In fact, we just lay here, staring at each other and sending mental messages to each other. Daehyun buries his head into my neck and pecks it lightly. I can feel his lips moving as if he's talking to me, but I can't hear a thing.

  "What?" I ask and lift his head.

  He simply smiles and kisses me gently.

  I wake up with the sound of someone knocking at my door. It takes a while for me to get up. Sluggishly, I drag my feet to the door and open it to reveal a very awake Yongguk.

  His eyebrows raise. "You're still not dressed? Hurry, we have another mission. We saw some movement within the Center, and it looks like they have another announcement."

  "What time is it?"

  "It's three."

  "This early?"

  He nods. "It's unsure why, but it seems that this cannot wait." Yongguk shoves me into my room. "Get dressed, and we'll head out." At those words, he shuts the door behind me.

  I rub the temples of my forehead as a mini headache was forming. Groaning, I do what Yongguk says and throw on my clothes and get ready for the day. I meet everyone at the elevators, but it looks like I'm not the only one who was woken up in the middle of their sleep. About

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter