Youngjae: Observation

Freedom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  We hide within the shadows, watching from afar as vampires enter the remaining parts of the Dome. Ever since the attack months ago, the outskirts of the Dome were destroyed. What remained intact was the center, and it was the only place that had a roof at the top. This center was originally for the guards to keep watch of the inside which is why it's a separate dome within the large one.

  From where we are, we can see the top of the middle dome at a distance, but what we're focusing on now is how vampires are leaving their homes to traverse closer to the Center. Many of them carried a suitcase of some sort and few came with nothing but with the clothes on their back. It doesn't surprise me. Before the Dome fell, the outskirts of it always belonged to the lesser class and because there was no longer a roof above their head, the sun's intensity was too much to bear for many of the younger vampires. There are burnt marks all along their skin and doesn't seem like it'll heal for quite some time.

  "What is going on?" I hear one of the new recruits, Sehun, mutter to himself rather than towards the group.

  Yongguk seems to have heard him since he's the first to reply, "It's uncertain, but it appears that something happened for them to leave. It must be something having to do with Jaebum."

  Jaebum. It's that name again. It's a name that sends a shiver down my spine. I have never seen him but I've heard rumors. Apparently, nearly a thousand years ago, he roamed the earth while feeding off of people to gain immortality. It was said that he was the one who created the vampire race as there was no other until people discovered he captured a human and turned him into a creature that craved for blood and lived in the darkness. He was a dangerous monster who laid dormant for many years because someone was able to harm him.

  For years, his body was hidden until the war many years ago. The humans found his body underground on this island and hid him within the Center. Scientists would use his blood for experiments to create human weapons to fight against the vampires. There were many trials, but with those trials came death with many of the human volunteers. Even after the war, humans continue to create these "weapons."

  "Are they all thinking of living in the Center? I don't think they will all be able to live in such a small area," Sehun states while never leaving his eyes on the vampires. He must be worried that we might get caught. It's a reasonable fear, but they all seem to be occupied with their own things.

  Yongguk scratches his chin. His dark eyes squint. "No. Many of them will end up living outside of the Center. They must be leaving now because I believe they will officially welcome their Creator."

  Another shiver runs up my spine who knew that their creator is standing among them? I open my mouth to give my own input, but I hold myself back. I may know a few things about Jaebum and the past, but I know Yongguk has more knowledge about it since he's been a hunter for longer than I have been.

  "It's scary to know that our main enemy's 'Father' is awakening at a time like this. Do you think they felt it beforehand?" Again, Sehun asks more questions.

  He's lucky that Yongguk is patient or else he would earn a quick punch on the shoulder to quiet him down. Instead, Yongguk calmly answers the younger's questions. "We were not certain at the time which was why we were sent here in the first place." His hand unconsciously rubs the back of his neck where the snake was tattooed to indicate his imprisonment with Himchan. "I would suspect they knew since everything seems to be falling into place for them. For now, all we can do is just watch while gathering information for the base. Once we know what we're up against, then we will make our move and hopefully stop this from spreading towards the rest of the world."

  Sehun seems to be satisfied by the answer and nods his head slowly. He says no more and returns to observing the vampires.

  I do the same, but instead of taking note of their actions, I can't help but have my mind wander to the Night of the attack.

  Everything was dark. Screams echoed throughout the area, but all we could do was run. There was no time to waste. If we stopped then, who knew how many more lives we could've lost. The pheromones around us were intense, but due to our adrenaline, everyone was forced to ignore it. The scent of blood filled the air, almost causing me to gag. My legs were aching, but we kept moving. We ran and ran until we reached the edge of the Dome. There was a metallic door that was supposed to be bolted shut, but was wide open. What awaited for us were not vampires, but the remaining guards that were stationed outside of the Dome. Their guns were pointed right at us. Upon seeing our beam of light, they allowed us through and continued to guard the door.

  It was night outside, and for the first time in months, I could smell the fresh scent of dew and moss. The chilly air caused me to shiver. The moon above shone brightly in the sky. I didn't have much time to revel in this somewhat freedom as Yongguk pulled on my arm and led us further through the island. I turned to see Zelo was still behind us, panting and sweating, but even he doesn't stop.

  I don't remember how far we ran at that time, but it felt like forever. When we finally did stop, we were near the edge of the island. Not too far, I could hear the waves crashing against the rocks protruding out of the ocean floor and the scent of saltwater replaced the scent of moss. I watched as Yongguk bent over a bush and reached under. He tugged on something and opened up a latch.

  "Get in," he ordered all of us, "Quick."

  One-by-one, each of us climbed into the hatch. When it was my turn, I looked down. It was pitch black. My head spun, thinking about how far down the ladder would take me. What if I slipped? How long would it take me to reach the bottom? I tried to shake it off and took my first step down. By the fifth step, I glanced up to see Zelo following after me. Seeing him made me realize that I was no longer in that mansion. I was no longer imprisoned inside the Dome. But it also made me realize I was no longer with Daehyun.

  As I make my way down once more, I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes.

  Daehyun.

  Where could he be? Was he attacked by the guards or possibly the other vampires? Was he still alive? If he was alive, was he worried about me? So many of these questions popped into my head, I didn't realize I reached the bottom until my feet landed on concrete ground. I hadn't even realized the place was lit. I spun around and found myself at a long tunnel, leading to who knows where. It threw me off as the Dome was an era behind with candles and carriages. Now, there were lightbulbs and wires everywhere.

  I waited for Zelo and finally Yongguk to arrive before making our way through the tunnel. We walked in silence for a while until Zelo finally had the breath and courage to say something, "What is this place?"

  Yongguk stared straight ahead, "This is a shelter. Our ancestors created this place for emergencies like these. We have plenty of supplies that would last us for years, but it seems with th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter