Chapter Seven

No Homo, But

Changkyun lies in bed that night, staring through the dark at his all-too-familiar ceiling. Glow-in-the-dark stickers stare back at him judgingly with their fading light for making out with his best friend earlier today… Or, at least, that’s how it feels to the teen. 

The boy sighs, flopping onto his side in aggravation. He blindly grabs for his phone in the dark, and presses his lips together in defeat as he goes through his contact list. It’s short, so it doesn’t take long to find the name in question. 

The phone rings and rings, and Changkyun is about to give up. It is kind of late, he’ll admit, but the older should still be up… He’s honestly about to admit defeat, but then his hyung finally picks up.


“Honestly, hyung,” Kihyun sighs, shaking his head at the older. Hyunwoo glances over at him with that terribly adorable Buddha-smile of his. 

“What?” he asks cutely, holding his hand out invitingly. Kihyun chuckles as he puts down the third bowl of snacks of the night only to rest his hand in the older’s. Hyunwoo gently pulls him into his lap, a place in which Kihyun makes himself comfortable all too well. The younger can’t help but smile brilliantly as he wraps his arms around Hyunwoo’s neck.

“You’ve certainly brightened up since beginning at your university, hyung,” Kihyun comments teasingly, leaning forward to press their foreheads together.

“It’s easier to deal with than high school,” Hyunwoo replies. “Not nearly as much judgment, ya know?” Kihyun hums, knowing all too well the judgments Hyunwoo have faced in that past—mainly from his parents, granted—and he knows how much the older is to be out of that toxic situation. Though, not nearly as happy as he is for his love to finally be living happily. Now he doesn’t have to worry nearly as much.

Hyunwoo’s arms come up to wrap around the younger’s waist, and holds him even closer. Kihyun holds onto his boyfriend, delighted to just hold him close. A bubble of fluffy joy surrounds them, and all Kihyun wants is for this moment to never end. 

Sadly, though, his ringtone suddenly blares through the air, bursting their bubble all too soon.

Kihyun sighs heavily, and regretfully pulls away to answer the call. Though, he makes sure to not leave Hyunwoo’s lap, which is honestly his most favorite place in the world. His brow creases, though, at seeing it’s his most favorite dongsaeng.

“Kkungie?” Kihyun answers, brow creasing as he speaks. Hyunwoo frowns in concern, a hand already moving to draw soothing circles into his boyfriend’s back. He knows how worried Kihyun can get about the sophomore, so he tries to do his best to keep him grounded.

“I…” Changkyun mumbles, sounding very much at a loss for what to say. Kihyun’s eyes begin to flit this way and that, wondering just why his dongsaeng is obviously so distressed. Hyunwoo raises a questioning brow, and Kihyun can only shake his head in confusion. 

“Jooheon-hyung and I kissed at the arcade today.”

Kihyun in a breath through his teeth at the younger’s words, eyes widening in shock. 

“You what?” he asks, finally disembarking from his perch on the older’s lap. He leans forward, staring hard at the coffee table in front of him. “When? How? Does this mean you—?”

“I don’t know!” Changkyun bursts out, making Kihyun feel guilty for firing off question after question. “I… I don’t even know why I did it. He said that he wanted to kiss me, and I told him I wanted him to, and then he did, and then we were getting kicked out of the arcade! That stupid pizza!” Kihyun has absolutely no idea what the younger is talking about now. It’s obvious that the younger is currently spiraling down a tunnel of panic, and Kihyun glances over at Hyunwoo helplessly.

“Take a deep breath,” he tells Changkyun. “Just start again, but from the beginning.” Changkyun does as he’s told, and Kihyun takes the opportunity to tell Hyunwoo what’s happening. “Yeobo,” he whispers, holding a hand over the mic of his phone so the younger won’t hear, “I’m sorry, but Kkungie really needs—”

“It’s okay, Kihyunnie,” Hyunwoo tells him, smiling gently. He then leans forward, pressing a kiss to the younger’s temple. “I’m going to bed. Come join me when you’re done.” Kihyun smiles gratefully at the older, and halts Hyunwoo in his movements only long enough to give him a proper goodnight kiss on his lips before allowing him to leave.


Changkyun, oblivious to what’s happened on their end, then dives into a full retelling of what’s transpired that day between himself and Jooheon. Kihyun manages to keep his interjections to a minimum, only bursting out once at the beginning when Changkyun admits to nearly getting hit by a car. Though, at Changkyun’s albeit cute whine, he presses his lips together in order to contain himself until he’s sure the younger is done. By then, there’s only one burning question left in his mind.

“So, does this mean you’ve figured out… how you feel?” He isn’t too sure how else to word it, too worried the words ‘So have you figured out if you’re hetero or gay as a tangerine?’ not feeling right at all. Changkyun heaves in a deep breath, and Kihyun can see almost too clearly the younger chewing on his bottom lip.

“… Yeah,” Changkyun answers after a moment of silence, his voice sounding almost relieved. “Yeah, I think I have.”

“Then you need to tell Jooheonney,” Kihyun tells him. “And don’t wait! I can just see that boy staying up all night worrying about you.” Changkyun laughs for the first time in the hour-long conversation, and it brings a smile to his face. 

“I know, hyung,” Changkyun says, as if that were the most obvious thing in the world. Kihyun chuckles, shaking his head. “Thanks for listening. You always listen when I need to talk to someone. I… I really appreciate it.” Kihyun hums, standing to begin turning off the lights in Hyunwoo’s tiny apartment to finally join his love.

“Think nothing of it, dongsaeng,” Kihyun assures him. “Good night.” Changkyun hums in acknowledgment, and ends the call. Kihyun finally pulls the device from his ear and crawls into bed with his boyfriend, snuggling up close and smiling until he falls asleep.