The Reason

A Place Where I Belong

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WARNING: CONTAINS MATURE LANGUAGES, KAISOO/KADI SHIP AND GIRL KYUNGSOO (MENTIONS OF GIRL JONGDAE, GIRL CHANYEOL, GIRL YIXING AND GIRL BAEKHYUN). IF SUCH MATERIALS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT READ THE STORY. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Kyungsoo stood back and let the Oh’s in, Sehun whispered “I swear I didn't know they were coming.”

 

She just nodded and followed them inside the living room, where she saw that her mom was being hugged by Mr. Oh.  The sibling haven't seen each other in five years, and she knows her mom missed her brother. They were talking a mile a minute while her dad looks over fondly at them.

 

Then she turned her attention back to the older Oh, who had his nose turned up so high in the air, with the look of disdain on his face, completely ignoring her father.

 

There’s nothing she hates more than anybody hurting the ones she loves.  It makes her blood boil, and nobody can get away with it, even if the person was her mother’s father.

 

She dreaded this day, she was hoping that there wouldn't be any confrontation, even so, she still prepared for this. She will not let anybody use her to hurt any one, or be used for others gratification. She had five long years to toughen herself up, but she’s still nervous now that she was face to face with the man who tried to break her family apart over and over again.

 

“I see you’re back and talking to this boy.” Old man Oh addressed her while pointing to Sehun.

 

All eyes were on them.

 

She schooled her features, she had mastered the art of indifference, she won’t let anybody see what she was feeling, especially if they were trying to upset her, because when you give a reaction, they win. 

 

“Yes.” She answered, voice lacking of emotions, face vacant, she hoped she looks brave at least.

 

“You do remember what I told you before, am I right?” Old man Oh said.

 

“Yes, and I don’t care what you do, not anymore.” Said Kyungsoo.

 

“What are you two talking about?” Mr. Oh asks.

 

“Your father” Kyungsoo answered not looking away from the old man “told me not go with my parents when they left and stay with your family instead. And that if I leave like my mother did, that I can never talk to Sehun, and the Kims kids. And if I do, he will have Sehun whipped. And that if I didn't do as he say, there will never be a reconciliation between him and my mother.”

 

There was a chorus of outraged shouts, everybody was taking over top of each other.

 

She saw her mom was shaking and upset, but her father looked downright furious.

 

“I figured he wanted me to stay so he could groom me to replace my mother and be auctioned off amongst his business partners” she glared at the old man.

 

“You would be better off, you would have everything you want, you would be set for life, a good life. Look at you, you have been dragged all over the world just to keep his job.” the Old man sneered at the mention of her father.

 

“I have a good life, I have everything I need, a family that loves me, and not one who will treat me like an object to be bartered with.” She answered with conviction.

 

“Don’t think I wont punish Sehun, and its going to be your fault.” The old man said.

 

“You think I care what you do to him?.” Kyungsoo said with a straight face.

 

“You always do, you’re weak like your mother. You let your feelings run your life, you will never make it anywhere.” Old man Oh growled.

 

Kyungsoo turned to Mrs. Oh “Does Sehun have any heart problems or any health issues?”

 

“No, he’s perfectly healthy. What’s that got to do with anything?” The grown ups was confused by her question.

 

Kyungsoo nodded and the next thing they knew, Sehun was on the floor completely rigid and there was a “tick-tick-tick” sound on the background that lasted for five seconds.

 

Everybody couldn't believe what they just witnessed.

 

Kyungsoo had pulled a TASER® out of her bag and had fired it at Sehun.

 

The grown ups are all looking at her with their mouth open.

 

“What the hell, Soo. That really hurts. What was that for?” Sehun said, panting, he grabbed the wires and yanked the probes that was imbedded on his thigh.

 

“Just making a point.” She proceeds to change the cartridge on her TASER®.

 

“Honey, you don’t just go tasing people to make a point.” Her mom said.

 

“And what point? That you can hurt Sehun? I didn't know I have a schedule for electrocution this morning.” Sehun grumbled, still panting, then he laid back down trying to calm himself.

 

“My point is, the old man cant threaten me by hurting anybody if I didn't do his bidding. I don’t care anymore. And if he ever hurts mom or dad, I will bring his house down and everyone in it.” She glared at the old man.

 

“Uh, whats going on?” Jongdae asked, eyeing Sehun who was still on the floor, and Kyungsoo holding a TASER® and putting it in her bag.

 

“We knocked but nobody answered so we let ourselves in” Jongin said.

 

“We were just discussing things sweetie, why don’t you kids go and have a good time, OK” Mrs. Oh pushed Kyungsoo towards the door, Sehun followed. “I need to talk to your grandfather”

 

“Sehun’s grandfather, not mine” answered Kyungsoo.

 

Mrs. Do sighed and waved them goodbye.

 

* * *

 

There was boisterous laughters echoing inside a cafe, it was so loud that people can hear them even from across the street.

 

They stopped at a cafe to get breakfast. They’re sitting in a booth, with Jongdae on Kyungsoo’s side and the boys are sitting across from them, they are waiting for Tao to come.

 

That was when Sehun told them what happened at the Do’s house, that resulted to Jongdae almost spilling to the floor from laughing so hard. 

 

“She did what now?” Jongdae was wiping tears and drool off of her face, still cackling.

 

Jongin was side eyeing his sister, asking himself why can’t she be quiet for once.

 

“It was not funny.” Sehun still looked cross.

 

“I said I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo said. She really was sorry.

 

“I know, but I also know that your going to do it again in a heartbeat to prove your point.” Sehun said.

 

Jongdae started chortling again “why do you even carry one with you?”

 

“Dad said a girl can never be too careful. And that if Luhan gets a little too frisky, to shoot him in the crotch.” Answered Kyungsoo.

 

The two boys winced and unconsciously covered their nether region with their hands.

 

“Is that why you never contacted us? Because your grandfather threatened you?” Jongin asked.  He cant believe her own grandfather would do that, well, he can, after all, he disowned his own daughter for choosing to marry out of love not out of duty.

 

“His grandfather, not mine.” Kyungsoo pointed to Sehun. She was about to add something else when she notice three girls standing by their table. One leaned over and looked at Jongin.

 

“Hi Jongin” one girl said in her sickening saccharine voice, batting her eyelashes at Jongin. She was wearing a very short pink long sleeved body-con sweater dress with a plunging neckline and a pair of pink stilettos. The other two girls are almost just as bad, skin tight dresses and high heels.

 

Kyungsoo tilted her a bit on the side, she was wondering how can they contain those “girls” inside their dresses and how in the world are they not cold, when the temperature is below freezing? Those high heels on icy roads are injuries waiting to happen. Not sensible.

 

And sensible is her middle name, Kyungsoo thought looking down on herself. She’s wearing some very sensible thermal undergarments underneath the jeans and sweater. 

 

“Jinri “ Jongin looked pained for some reason.

 

“Fancy meeting you here, and who is she?” Jinri pointed a manicured finger at Kyungsoo.

 

“She’s my best friend, got a problem with that?” Jongdae sassed while hugging Kyungsoo’s arm.

 

Jinri squinted her eyes at Kyungsoo, who just calmly looks back at her. But quickly decided she wasn’t worth her time, and turned her attention back to the visibly squirming Jongin.

 

“Jongin, since you’re here, why don’t you accompany us? We need some muscles to carry our shopping bags.” Jinri said while caressing and squeezing Jongin’s arm.

 

The two girls behind her, now giggling, answered at the same time “Yes, come with us.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows shot upwards, she was impressed with the synchronization.

 

“He can’t, I’m hanging out with my friend, and he’s babysitting us.” Jongdae said.

 

Times like this, Jongin really appreciates his sister.

 

Jinri looked irritated at Jongdae for a bit but quickly smiled and turned to Jongin  “Then I wouldn't want to keep you from bonding with your sister,  but you have to come with us next time.” 

 

“Yes, you have to.” Said the two girls on back at the same time.

 

Now, Kyungsoo wondered if they practice for this, because they are good.

 

She watched as the three girls sashayed  their way out of the cafe.

 

“That, was Jinri, President of Jongin’s fans club. She has been after Jongin since they were in middle school.” Said Jongdae.

 

“Fans club?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Yes, Sehun and Tao have one too. They are popular at SMA. The whole student body are all good looking, except for these two.” She stuck out her tongue at her brother who only glared at her.

 

“You two are popular?” She looked at Jongin and Sehun, surprised at the information.

 

“Why are you surprised?” Sehun said.

 

“That must have made getting a girlfriend easy huh?” Kyungsoo teased.

 

“Hah! No, this two, well, three actually, doesn't have the guts to ask a girl out.” Jongdae scoffed.

 

“Why? Wait, are you two...?” Kyungsoo motioned to them with her two fingers in a scissoring movement.

 

“What! NO! That’s gross.” Exclaimed Jongin and Sehun and that started Jongdae’s cackling again.

 

“You know I wouldn't mind, it will not matter what your ual preferences are, as long as you’re happy  and I’ll keep it a secret if you’re not ready to come out yet.” Kyungsoo promised, crossing her heart.

 

“NO! Nonononono. We. Are. Not. Together.” Insisted Jongin “I’m just, you know, too busy with school, and stuffs.”

 

Sehun staged a whisper “He’s got ED.” Which earned him a punch on the shoulder but just laughed.

 

Kyungsoo forehead wrinkled with worry “Is that true?”

 

Jongin felt mortified, its not that he’s worried about whatever condition he has, but he didn't want to look weak or for Kyungsoo to think less of him. “No. No...... I don’t know. I just haven’t been attracted to anyone.”

 

“Not even to her? Jinri? She’s really pretty and obviously, really likes you.” Kyungsoo pointed towards where Jinri and her posse disappeared to.

 

“I don’t like her type” Jongin shrugged.

 

Kyungsoo nodded. “Don’t worry, you’ll find that special someone sooner or later.”

 

“Yeah, I’m in no hurry.” Jongin grinned, he was glad she understood.

 

“I think he already found her, he’s just to thick to even realize it.” Sehun interjected.

 

“How do you know, when he doesn’t even know himself?” Kyungsoo asked Sehun.

 

“We all know, its pretty obvious.” Jongdae seconded.

 

“Stop babbling nonsense, you two.” Jongin sighed.

 

“Who is it then, if you guys know?” Kyungsoo asked curiously.

 

That started the bickering about the what and the why of Jongin’s love life but for some reason not they who. 

 

After a few more minutes Tao arrived and they had to fill him in with whats everything that had happened, which meant Jongdae started cackling again that got them booted out of the cafe for disturbing the other customers.

 

* * *

 

At the mall, Jongdae had force Kyungsoo to try on articles of clothing, that in her opinion, are too frilly, too pink, too sparkly, or there’s not enough fabric.

 

Sehun and Tao went on a different shop to look for clothes for themselves when they figured that its going to take a long time for Kyungsoo and Jongdae to agree on an outfit, while Jongin decided to accompany the girls.

 

The girls are having an intense discussion - read argument - about whether the peach chiffon dress that Jongdae wanted Kyungsoo to try on, is appropriate for winter, when Jongin handed Kyungsoo some clothes.  It was a tartan circle skirt that is predominantly black with white and red stripes, a white long sleeved blouse with black Peter Pan collar and black cuffs and a red classic cardigan.

 

“I thought you might like this. They would blend well with the rest of the clothes in you wardrobe.” Jongin suggests.

 

Kyungsoo gave him a grateful smile, a real, full blown heart shape smile. The one that was missing in the pictures. He felt good, he had missed that, and he planned on putting that happy look on Kyungsoo’s face more often.

 

“And Dae, don’t force your style to Soo, let her choose what she wants to wear.” Jongin told Jongdae.

 

“You’ve seen her closet Nini, she’ll choose something boxy again and I want her to look pretty.” whined Jongdae.

 

“She’s pretty no matter what she wears, and so are you, if you would just shut your mouth for a bit.” Jongin lightly rapped his knuckles on his sister’s forehead.

 

Jongdae stuck out her tongue at Jongin.

 

“Now I need to find something to wear!” Exclaimed Jongdae pulling Kyungsoo behind her.

 

“I thought you will be wearing a maid costume?” Kyungsoo asked Jongdae.

 

“I need something to change into, when its done. Ohhh, I think I want this.” She found a cropped sweater in cream, then grabbed a lacy camisole.

 

“It’s the middle of winter Dae, you’re going to catch a cold in that.” Kyungsoo said, shaking her head in disapproval.

 

“Don’t be silly, of course I’m going to wear a coat on top of it.”  Jongdae said dismissively.

 

Jongdae then dragged Kyungsoo into the changing room, to try on the clothes they have, while Jongin waits for them.

 

Kyungsoo liked the outfit that Jongin picked, the skirt’s length ends just above her knees, the blouse hugs her curves, but the cardigan cover them up, she just need to wear some wool tights and knee high boots and she’ll be warm enough.

 

When the girls came out of the changing rooms, all three boys are waiting for them, complaining that they are hungry.

 

Jongin took the clothes from Kyungsoo and said “here, I’ll take care of them.”

 

“I still need to pay them” answered Kyungsoo.

 

“I’ll pay for it.” Jongin said.

 

“What?! No. It’s my stuffs, I’ll pay for it.” Kyungsoo said, pulling the clothes towards her.

 

“Let me, think of it as five years worth of birthday gifts.“ Jongin insisted, prying Kyungsoo’s hand off the clothes.

 

“Well, then I need to get you some clothes too, its only fair.” Kyungsoo insisted.

 

Jongin grinned like a fool, he liked the idea of wearing clothes that Kyungsoo picked out for him. So he agreed.

 

They didn’t notice three sets of eyes watching their every move, snickering.

 

* * *

 

They found a little mom and pops dinner to eat and made plans for what to do tomorrow.

 

The boys all agreed that they are going to pick Kyungsoo up in the morning so they could all go to school together. The three boys ride their bikes to school and they just need to go to a bike shop to get some companion seats for their bikes for her to seat on. Jongdae whined the whole time, complaining about going to a different school.

 

All of the boys’ family houses are far from SMA, so, they decided to look for an apartment closer to the academy to share. And funnily enough, the Do’s house is five blocks away from their apartment, and they will pass it on their way to school.

 

With that settled and their bellies full and arms loaded up with shopping bags, they decided to go back home. 

 

There was still a black car parked outside Kyungsoo’s house, and Sehun confirmed that it was his parents vehicle. The boys offered to come with her inside, but she refused.

 

Kyungsoo opened the door and entered the house cautiously, preparing herself for another confrontation, only to find that the old man had left, and it was just her parents and Sehun’s parents waiting for her.

 

They are all gathered around the dining table and asked for her to join them.

 

Kyungsoo set down her bags by the sofa and sat herself in one of the dining chair.

 

“We want to talk to you about your grandfather.” Mrs. Do said

 

“Sehun’s grandfather. Not mine.” Kyungsoo automatically replied.

 

“Alright, Sehun’s grandfather, he is an old fashion man, he thought that being tough and strict is the only way to raise a family, but he would never hurt them. He loves your mother, he just doesn't know how to show it.” Mr. Oh explained

 

“When he tried to prevent your mother from marrying your father, he only really wanted the best for his only daughter. He wants her to be with a family that will provide her with everything she wants, and when she refused to abide his wishes, he threatened her with disownment, thinking that your mother would get scared and have second thoughts. It was only a threat, he wasn’t really going to act on the threat he made.” Mr Oh continued.

 

“But your mother don’t scare easy.” They all laughed at that ”and when she ran away to be with your father, he was devastated, and sometimes, when people are hurt, they lash out. That’s what he did. But the closest to him know how he regretted his words and action, but didn’t want to appear weak, so he kept on acting angry.” Said Mr. Oh.

 

“And when you were born, being his only granddaughter, he saw it as a chance to make things right. But again, he is old fashioned, and say and do things that he thought he was supposed to say and do, and repeated the mistake he did with your mother and alienated you instead. He was sorry for all the things other people are saying against you and your family, but doing anything to stop them will be going against his words, so kept quiet.” Mr. Oh said.

 

“Believe me when I say, that your grandfather, I mean, Sehun’s grandfather, is trying to reach out to you, and was really trying to make amends, but his pride ruled again this morning.” Said Mr. Oh.

 

“That’s why, honey, we are asking you to try to get along with your or rather with Sehun’s grandfather.” Mrs. Do said.

 

Kyungsoo looked at her dad, silently asking for what to do, her dad looked at her and nodded.

 

Kyungsoo sighed, “alright, I will try, but only, only, if he stops ignoring dad, or say anything insulting him.”

 

Mr. Oh nodded “I will forward your request, its good to see you again Soo, our Sehun missed you, we missed you.”

 

When the Oh’s left for the night, she excused herself and went to get ready for bed, there was a dozen messages on her phone, asking what happened. Which she promptly answered for them to not worry, that she will see them tomorrow.

 

She closed her eyes, praying that this will be the last hurdle she needed to go through.  But she knows life isn’t that easy.

 

A quiet high school life is the only thing she wanted more than anything right now. She wonders how much it cost to have exactly that.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

THANK YOU FOR READING! If you enjoyed this story please take a moment to help other readers discover it by leaving a comment. Just a few words and an upvote can really help.

 

ALL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS IN THIS STORY, EVEN THOSE BASED ON REAL PEOPLE, ARE ENTIRELY FICTIONAL.

 

English is my second language so if you noticed any typos or grammatical errors, I will be grateful for the heads up.

 

‘Till next time!

 - Deedee  |(^o^)/