The Sickness

A Place Where I Belong

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WARNING: CONTAINS MATURE LANGUAGES, KAISOO/KADI SHIP AND GIRL KYUNGSOO (MENTIONS OF GIRL JONGDAE, GIRL CHANYEOL, GIRL YIXING AND GIRL BAEKHYUN). IF SUCH MATERIALS OFFENDS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT READ THE STORY. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

THERE ARE ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY, sometimes, even more. 

 

This is Jongin's side of the story.

 

Jongin was one year old, when his parents found out that they were expecting a new addition to the family. And that their friends the Do's were also expecting their first child. His mother was excited about being pregnant at the same time with one of her closest friend.

 

Jongin didn't understand anything and just continued to play with his friends Sehun, and Tao, who were the same age as him. 

 

Sehun's mother and Tao's mother are also close friends with his mother.  All of them were friends since they were in kindergarten and they want their children to be close friends too.

 

* * *

 

When Jongin was two, he was introduced to his new baby sister Jongdae.

 

He didn't like Jongdae. Jongin claimed that she's loud and looked funny, Jongdae cried harder.

 

Then three months later, he met little Kyungsoo, he was amazed at how quiet the baby was and how she looked like those babies that he sees all over the church that was so white and doesn't squirm like his sister or make noises like his sister.

 

He asked his uncle Do if he could have baby Kyungsoo as a gift, since it was almost his birthday, because he liked her, and that they could have his sister instead. The grown ups laughed at him, which confused him immensely, he guessed they didn't want his sister either.

 

* * *

 

Jongin was three when he witnessed Kyungsoo taking her first step.

 

Their mothers were in the kitchen and they asked him to watch Kyungsoo while they made snacks, he agreed immediately, there was snacks involved so you have to say yes. 

 

He was playing with his trucks and Kyungsoo was sitting on a blanket with some soft toys with bells and crinkles inside. He watched her grab one that looked like a bee and tried to shake it with her little arm, Kyungsoo giggles when it rattled, and he laughed too. He likes the happy sounds she makes, it makes him happy too. 

 

He was trying to make a car jump over one of his truck when Soo made a sound. 

 

He looked up quickly, scared that she got hurt, and its going to be his fault for not watching over her, and then there will be no snacks for him. But she was trying to stand up but keeps falling on her . 

 

She had this serious look on her face, like the one he makes when he’s trying to slip the button of his shirt through the hole. 

 

He tried to help her but she shook her head and grunts at him. So he just sat there, close enough to catch her if she falls forward.  

 

When Kyungsoo successfully stood up, the look on her face made his chest swell, he scoots over in front of her and motioned her to come to him, like how their mothers do when they want Kyungsoo to take a step. That's when their mothers came back with the tray of snacks, he was telling Kyungsoo to come to him while smiling and Kyungsoo was walking and giggling.  

 

Their mother took a picture of that moment, they framed it and he asked his mom to put it on his dresser beside his favorite monster truck. 

 

He wondered if his uncle Do, would finally gift him Kyungsoo on his birthday this year.

 

* * *

 

Jongin was five when he heard other people talk about the Do's.

 

Some people are talking about how they don't have a family and how the didn't like their kids to play with the half breed Do. 

 

How can they not have family? Theres a mom, a dad, and Kyungsoo, that's a family, he thought, and he didn't understand why they were calling Kyungsoo a half bread, you cant make a sandwich out of Kyungsoo. 

 

He didn't like how they were talking about the Do's, so he told his parents about it, and they told him to ignore those people. 

 

And this is also the time when he witnessed the other kids bully Kyungsoo, calling her a witch because of her red hair and green eyes. 

 

He didn't like seeing Kyungsoo sad or hurt, it makes his chest hurt too, so he decided he will make those bad kids to stop bullying Kyungsoo and to leave her alone. 

 

So, him, Sehun, Tao and his sister Jongdae will all protect Soo from the bullies. They always made sure that somebody was with her every time. 

 

Soo was so tiny for her age, at three years old she still wobbles slightly when she walks, because she's got short chubby white legs. They also made sure to walk slower or run slower when playing with her so her little legs can catch up to them. 

 

He still likes Kyungsoo more than his sister Jongdae. Jongdae’s still loud and cries a lot when she fell, while Kyungsoo would just sit and blow on her own boo boo. 

 

He still ask his uncle Do for Kyungsoo as a gift for his birthday.

 

* * * 

 

Jongin was six when he had his first kiss. 

 

He just successfully scared off the bullies that were bothering Kyungsoo, one of them even dared to yank her hair, said that those red hair was from the devil and it should be cut off.  

 

Kyungsoo was sitting on the dirt, looking sad, and trying to dust away the dirt from her scrape when she landed on her knee when one of the bullies pushed her. 

 

Jongin helped her walk towards the water fountain and helped her clean up, because he knows that aunt Do will be mad to see her dirty again. He even tried to fix her hair, he cant believe that someone could hate those red hair, he thinks they're pretty. 

 

And he told her so, that he thinks her hair is the color of strawberry, and strawberries are sweet and smells nice. 

 

Kyungsoo smiled at him and he forgot to breath for a couple of second, Kyungsoo rarely show those heart shape smile, she always has that blank expression trying to ignore the bad kids. 

 

And then she kissed him on the cheek, said she liked him the most. 

 

Jongin felt himself get warmer and his heart started beating faster, he thought there was something wrong with him, so he took Kyungsoo home and went home himself and asked for medicine because he said he was getting sick. 

 

* * *

 

Jongin was seven, and was going to elementary school, when he started buying candies and chocolate before going home.

 

He buys them so he could give them to Kyungsoo and his sister. 

 

Kyungsoo would look sad every time them three boys leave for school. So he would save his money to buy sweets for Kyungsoo, she likes them, and for his sister, to make her stop fussing for candies. 

 

Kyungsoo also started to wait for them to get home, to welcome them back and to receive her sweets. He likes seeing her happy for just a small thing. And every time Kyungsoo hug him to thank him, he gets palpitation. 

 

He figured its just from the walk he took from school to his house and that he is irritated because Jongdae keeps whining to him for more candies. 

 

He wondered if he could switch family, if his uncle Do wouldn’t give him Kyungsoo as a gift, maybe they could take him as a gift. He would rather have Kyungsoo as a sister, she’s quiet and never whines, unlike Jongdae.

 

* * *

 

Jongin was nine when he experienced his first broken heart. 

 

He didn't know he was heartbroken at first, he thought he was just sick because his chest hurt and he couldn't breath but didn't realize it only happens when he thinks about little Soo. 

 

He planned on telling his parent at dinner about him being sick. 

 

He also developed a strong dislike against planes for taking Kyungsoo away, he made a promise to do something about those planes when he gets bigger. 

 

He wished that uncle had given him Kyungsoo as a sister, so she wouldn’t have to go away.

 

* * *

 

Jongin was ten when he decided he wants to see Kyungsoo again.

 

He heard his parents talking about how Kyungsoo never made any friends because they were always moving. 

 

He also learned that Kyungsoo now know how to speak in multiple languages, he felt his chest puffed up a little, knowing that Kyungsoo is so smart. But he also felt sad that she doesn't have any friends. 

 

He sees Kyungsoo as the sister he always wanted and therefore, he needs to do something about it.  

 

His tummy felt weird thinking about how Kyungsoo must be sad, being alone out there, no one to protect her from the bullies, so he asked his parents if he could do chores and get some compensation, when asked what he needed the money for, he will say to see Kyungsoo. 

 

So his parents helped him find little jobs, like walking the neighbors dogs, or mow lawns, and wash cars. He saved all of his money, and if he keeps it up, it wouldn't be long when he would be able to visit Kyungsoo.

 

His heart beats a little faster and felt like he's gonna throw up, and figured that the chicken he ate last night was already bad.

 

* * * 

 

Jongin was fourteen when he thought he was suffering from erectile dysfunction.  

 

It was during a free period that one of his classmate brought out a magazine. 

 

All the boys were huddled together looking at the pictures of women, and all of them, except him, Sehun and Tao, were getting excited. 

 

When he looks at those pictures, all he could think of is that Kyungsoo would not approve. He doesn’t understand why he felt like he was betraying Kyungsoo by looking at the pictures. 

 

When all of their classmates were complaining about needing to relieve themselves after seeing women, he  wonders why he didn’t feel anything, his little brother down south was not reacting to any of it.  

 

When he got home, he tried touching himself, but nothing, he didn’t feel anything.  

 

He told Sehun and Tao about his problem and he got laughed at. And they about swinging for the other team.  

 

So he looked at pictures of men on line, and still nothing, he got nothing out of it but virus on his computer. 

 

He was grounded and his computer privileges was taken away. He felt ashamed for getting caught.  

 

But he came to a conclusion, that he was, in fact, suffering from ED.

 

* * *

 

Jongin was sixteen when he had his second heart break.

 

Though he still didn't know he was broken hearted, since he never had a relationship before, and it always felt wrong when girls tried to touch him, like he's doing something he shouldn't be doing. 

 

He thinks he is only having chest pain, he guessed it’s just heartburn.

 

He learned that Kyungsoo had a boyfriend named Luhan, his mother said he was handsome, he didn't think so, he looked like a pansy, like a strong wind could blow him away. 

 

He thought about all that money he saved to see Kyungsoo, he doesn't need it anymore if she have a boyfriend, since he would be the one to protect Kyungsoo, and that she wouldn’t need him anymore, the thought made his chest felt heavy. 

 

He contemplated about what to do with that savings.  

 

But four months later, he heard that they broke up, because the pansy bastard cheated on Kyungsoo.  He was enraged, he cant believe that he thought that the pansy man would protect Kyungsoo, but instead cause her more pain. He was glad he didn't spend the money yet, now he wants to visit Kyungsoo more, also, so he can punch that pansy bastard for hurting Kyungsoo.  

 

A couple of months later, he felt even happier than he had ever been in the last seven years, when he spied strawberry red hair by the waiting area in SMA. 

 

Kyungsoo’s back! But wait, why was she running away, he kept calling out to her, but they continued to walk and then drove away, Sehun told him to go to the information desk to know where they could find out what and why they were here. 

 

He thought there was something wrong with him though, his chest was tight and his heart was beating too fast, he thought its because he was running after them and yelling, he kept forgetting to mention his symptoms to his parents.

 

* * *

 

He woke up pretty early today, and he's been trying on different outfits, clothes are scattered everywhere, but he couldn't care less, he needed to look good today. 

 

His mother called last night and told him that they are going to visit the Do today. 

 

He needed to look good, but not too good that it would look like he was trying too hard. He decided on a pair of black jeans, light brown sweater, black blazer and a pair of leather shoes. He didn't bother with his hair, just kept it down, he figured that would make him look like he didn't made any effort at all. 

 

There was a bang on his bedroom door. 

 

Sehun said it was time to go, that his parents are outside waiting for them with his sister. He asked if Tao would be coming but Sehun said he had lessons with kids this morning and would catch up later if he could.

 

They run into Mr. Do on their way to their house, so they gave him a ride the rest of the way. He told them that Kyungsoo was upset and worrying herself sick about learning that she was going to the same school as the boys, and that he was glad to know that she will not be alone in the new school, because they were there. 

 

Sehun and him both agreed that they will look after her. 

 

As soon as the vehicle slow down as they were near the Do's house, Sehun jumped out of the SUV when it was still moving, he cant wait to see his cousin too. 

 

Sehun rang the doorbell, after a moment the door opened and a very sleepy looking Kyungsoo greeted them, still in her flannel pajamas with little penguin prints and still sporting a bed head , thought it was her dad and was asking for donuts. He smiled, she still likes her sweets, he thought to himself. 

 

He greeted her with a shy smile and was pushed by Jongdae to hug the still very surprised Kyungsoo. And then he almost had a heart attack, when she turned blue and started hyperventilating. He ran back to the SUV and grabbed both his parents medical bag. 

 

He knew from the medical books that he sometimes read, since he wants to follow his parents footsteps and to do research about all the illness that he was feeling, that she’s having some sort of a panic attack. 

 

She seems to have it when she is overly stressed and really upset. He watched carefully what his aunt and uncle are doing to calm her down, because he knows he would want to be the one to take care of her. 

 

He wonder if he was out of shape because he was kinda out of breath like Kyungsoo, but he didn't run that far. 

 

There was something wrong with him, maybe he have asthma, he thought.

 

He learned that Kyungsoo knows sign language, he needs to learn that if he wanted to help take care of Kyungsoo. He agreed with his sister that Kyungsoo is cool, because, she knows multiple languages, she's at the same grade as Sehun, Tao and him and she's two years younger than them. And he learned that she got full scholarship at the SMA which is very rare. He was mumbling to himself, and didn't notice the look that Mrs. Kim was giving him.  

 

When Kyungsoo and Jongdae went upstairs he felt his joints locked up, he needs to read up on meniscus tear in knee, he thinks his condition was getting worse, how was he going to take care of little Soo when he’s falling apart?. 

 

He couldn't move, he was torn between going after the girls or staying with his parents so he could hear stories about Kyungsoo more. 

 

His mother called him to come to the table and have breakfast, and he said he thinks his hyper acidity is getting worst, and rubbed his stomach. 

 

He keeps thinking about what the girls are doing and talking about that he missed the knowing looks everybody was giving him.

 

After breakfast they gathered into the living room and Mrs. Do handed them some photo albums. 

 

He frowned a bit at the pictures, Kyungsoo hardly smiles in them, and when she smiles it looked forced. He needs to fix that too. As he flips to another page, he scowled, he saw a picture of Kyungsoo and pansy man with someone with soft face and kitty eyes and a girl with sultry eyes or maybe the girl was just sleepy, he couldn't tell. Why was she surrounded by men who looked like they will crumble if you put your finger on them? When Jongdae came down and told them that Kyungsoo was napping, they proceed to watching homemade videos of the Do family, mostly of Kyungsoo and her milestones, like learning how to ride a horse, learning to shot bow and arrow, trying ballet. Kyungsoo was homeschooled, but her parents made sure to enroll her on other activities, so she can socialize with other kids her age.

 

When Mrs. Do asked them to wake Kyungsoo up, his stomach felt weird again, and his heart was beating a little bit faster than normal as he was entering the sleeping girl’s room. 

 

He’s got to agree with Sehun, when he said that Kyungsoo’s room looks worst than hospital rooms, but would disagree with Jongdae, who was being nosy, about her choice of fashion, black looks good on Kyungsoo, he thought, it would highlight the color of her hair, and the whiteness of her skin. 

 

Though he hardly talked, he was observing, he felt, as a brother stand in, he needed to be more attentive, since she never complains and she’s painfully selfless and would never ask for anything for herself or even dare think about being a bother to anyone. 

 

When they exchange numbers, he couldn’t help but smile down at his phone, thinking about being able to text Kyungsoo anytime about anything, he was grinning like an idiot and didn’t see the judging look Sehun was giving him.

 

He can’t wait to hang out tomorrow with Kyungsoo, of course, with Sehun, not his sister though, she’s noisy.  He felt some tingling feeling down to his bone when thinking about taking Kyungsoo out to shop and eat and maybe see a movie, he wonders if he has osteoporosis. 

 

He remembered Mrs. Do mentioned that she never really act like a teenager, maybe they can go to an arcade too, his mind was running a mile a minute that he was getting dizzy, but he just thought that his blood sugar was low.

 

He sighed and thinks that he really needs to see a doctor, as soon as possible, if he wanted to be the best big brother for Kyungsoo, he can’t be riddled with health problems.

 

He needs to be fit and healthy for Kyungsoo.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

THANK YOU FOR READING! If you enjoyed this story please take a moment to help other readers discover it by leaving a comment. Just a few words and an upvote can really help.

 

ALL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS IN THIS STORY, EVEN THOSE BASED ON REAL PEOPLE, ARE ENTIRELY FICTIONAL.

 

English is my second language so if you noticed any typos or grammatical errors, I will be grateful for the heads up.

 

‘Till next time!

 - Deedee  |(^o^)/