nine

The Crown

No matter how much he tries, Junmyeon couldn’t face Jongin properly after that talk with his father. It was like he didn’t just have some wine with his cousin just before it happened. He stood feet away from him in the airport, looking at him as Eunuch Byun explained something, perhaps something about their schedule in the capital. Funny how he changed after a few hours.

 

“Prince Junmyeon.” He turns around to see his Eunuch, Kyungsoo. To Junmyeon, he was more than his personal assistant. He was his right hand. He was his brain. He was so good of a server that he would never do anything without his advice. Without even speaking, Kyungsoo already knows that his prince doesn’t want to be near his cousin, seeing that he froze from his place. So instead of telling him that the Crown Prince is looking for him, he makes a lame excuse. “I’m about to talk to Eunuch Byun about our schedule. I will report back immediately.”

 

The Eunuch slightly bows to inform his leave but pauses when his name was called. “Eunuch Do, I must talk to you about something when we land in Seoul.”

 

“I understand, your highness,” Kyungsoo says, before finally walking to where Prince Jongin and Eunuch Byun were while Junmyeon could just follow him with his eyes.

 

Upon seeing Eunuch Do, Prince Jongin immediately asked for his cousin and seeing Jongin look around the area made Junmyeon panic. That was until he felt somebody’s grip on his shoulder, making him jump a little.

 

“What’s wrong with you hyung? Why are you standing here all alone?” His younger brother asked looking utterly confused. It was when he caught Jongin at the corner of his eye when he realised what was happening. He chuckles before talking. “Are you seriously going to ignore him now?”

 

“You have to help me to convince father about this,” Junmyeon begs quietly. “I cannot do this, Jongdae. I can’t face Jongin like nothing’s going to happen to him. I don’t want to do this.”

 

Jongdae laughs at how desperate he sounded. “Can you hear yourself talking brother? Me? Help you convince our father? As if I have the power to do that!” The older Kim looks away, upset. He knows that they can’t speak against their father but maybe, just maybe, if the two of them talked to Junyoung sincerely about it they could change his mind. “Why are you being so negative anyway? If you think about it, father was right. He was and should have been king in the first place anyways. Just because he accidentally made us doesn’t make him less of a person.”

 

Junmyeon sighs. 

 

“And besides, look at the bright side. You can do whatever you want if you become king. Imagine all the you can get-”

 

“Kim Jongdae.” Junmyeon looks at him with a stern look. Jongdae says no more and just raises his hands in defeat. “Go and greet Jongin for me before I could tell you off. I’m going to grab some coffee.”

 

Usually, Jongdae would suggest having their eunuch get it for them but he knows his brother is trying to avoid Jongin so he lets him leave. Smirking, he heads to where Jongin was to let his presence be known.

 

“Hyung! I am so happy you could come.” Jongin exclaims at the older man upon seeing him. Once again, he looks around for Junmyeon but sees him walking in the opposite direction of where they were. “Where is he headed to?”

 

“Ah, Junmyeon hyung?” Jongdae also looks at the direction of where his brother was walking. “Don’t worry about him. He’ll come soon. He’s just constipated.”

 

 

“You know I particularly don’t have the best liking towards the king, but it’d be interesting if one of my friends actually dates one of his family members.” Shinhye, one and perhaps Soojung’s closest celebrity friend, exclaims as they watched a news report of the three Kim cousins on the news. They were visiting Gwanghwamun plaza and laid flowers in a statue of King Sejong. In unison, they all bowed at the old king, their supposed ancestor, which caused eerie to Shinhye. “Anyways, how does the crown prince treat you? I heard that you became the apple of his eye after the festival.”

 

Soojung just simply shook her head, blushing a bit as she tried her best to push the memories of the festival at the back of her mind.

 

“How is King Junyoung anyways? I heard he’s a total .” Shinhye’s face suddenly appears in Soojung’s vision which totally ruined her thoughts, not that it was such a bad thing. 

 

“Unnie! I haven’t seen you for ages and this is what you want to talk about! You haven’t even asked how I am!” Soojung pouts causing Shinhye to back away quickly. While the older actress apologises for her sudden curiosity about the royal family, Soojung was once again back to her thoughts. She had just realised that she has met each member of the most influential family in Korea, except for the head himself.

 

Frankly, she was quite glad that she hasn’t seen nor heard anything from King Junyoung considering the fiasco that she and his nephew have made. You see, it isn’t just Prince Jongdae who is quite popular with the rumours, but his father as well. The only exception is that the criticism for the king is kept hush hush and away from the media and the internet in fear of treason. But the people will always talk about his bad doings, something he is known for since his teenage years.

 

Apart from his constant womanising ways which resulted in his two sons, Junyoung was infamous of his gambling and corruption scandals which are always swept under the rug. Though these days the king is mostly seen in the headlines for his charity works and diplomatic relationships with other countries, Junyoung’s image will always be tarnished for what he has done in the past, something he’s so insecure about.

 

“Oh, they just mentioned your name.” Shinhye points out to Soojung, who was not listening at all. Confused, the latter looks up at the television screen to see a grinning Prince Jongin.

 

 

“Your father, the late King Joohyuk, was around your age when he announced his engagement to your mother, Queen Eunsook. Is it possible that you’ve started thinking about marriage? Perhaps… with actress Jung Soojung?”

 

And with just one question from a journalist, Baekhyun gets triggered. After all, he firmly advised the media not to mention anything about his coronation and especially nothing about Jung Soojung, mainly because both the palace and her entertainment company have denied their dating rumours (much to Core Entertainment’s dismay). And yet here they were, casually slipping it in no more less in a live press conference. This is why he hates these bloody bastards.

 

In comparison to his reaction, Prince Jongdae cracks a smile and nudges Prince Jongin who was sitting in between him and his brother. This will surely be interpreted as encouragement from his cousin, which probably is. After all that conversation with their father, encouraging Jongin to be with his little lady friend is the best thing he could do for now even though he doesn't like her for him.

 

Sitting at the furthest end of the table, Baekhyun glances at his Prince. Of course, he’d be grinning at the mention of her name. Of course, he would. It wouldn’t be a great conception if he interrupts the question so Baekhyun just mentally begs the prince not to say anything about his admiration towards the woman, not now at least.

 

“Marriage is not my current priority.” The prince simply says, and his eunuch lets out a sigh of relief.

 

Before the reports could ask another question about Soojung, and they actually do, Baekhyun announces that the press conference has ended. Sensing the annoyance from his eunuch, Jongin immediately stood up from his seat to bow in front of the cameras, followed by his cousins next to him. 

 

 

Perhaps this was the most difficult question Kyungsoo has received from Prince Junmyeon.

 

“Must I disobey my father’s wishes and follow what is truly right? Or must I deceive my own cousin who is the rightful heir?” He questions his eunuch after his long story of how it came to be. Junmyeon looked at the view of Seoul’s skyline from his room, worried.

 

To be fair, or unfair in this case, it’s not the first time King Junyoung has done or forced Junmyeon to do something he didn’t want to do. At age 8, he spoke and wrote fluently in Mandarin. At age 11, he had his first violin performance in front of a thousand people. At age 17, he befriended Bae Joohyun to make it seemed like everything seemed well between the King and the then-future Prime Minister. The last one was the only one he actually enjoyed doing.

 

“If you think about it, helping the crown prince to be dethroned is basically treason.”

 

Junmyeon groans. “You’re right.”

 

“But he is the king currently. And even if he wasn’t anymore, he is still your father which, in my opinion, is a much bigger deal.”

 

“Are you suggesting that I follow what he says? To just… to just kick Jongin out of the throne?” The prince looks at his eunuch in disbelief, almost mad at what he had just said. But Kyungsoo was quick to shake his head lightly.

 

“That is not what I meant, your highness-” He was about to explain himself when footsteps were heard outside the prince’s bedroom. Junmyeon didn’t move an inch until it was announced that Prince Jongin was about to enter his room. Panicking, he looked at the door to see his cousin looking quite concerned.

 

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

 

“Hyung, are you feeling better now?”, were the first words that came out from Jongin’s mouth. Though he sounded so sweet, Junmyeon was confused. He wasn’t feeling ill in the first place so why was his cousin asking that? He glances at his eunuch, who looks equally puzzled until he remembers the words that came from Prince Jongdae.

 

“He’s just constipated.” Jongdae’s explanation to Jongin about his brother’s absence echoed through his mind. Kyungsoo looked at his prince as if he was telling him that he will explain later.

 

“We’re about to have dinner now, but you don’t need to force yourself to go to the dining room. I’ll have dinner brought immediately.” Jongin continues. All this time, Junmyeon had been looking for excuses to ignore him and instead of coming off cold to him, Jongin had just been thinking that his usual cheerful cousin was not feeling good. Junmyeon felt guiltier.

 

“Jongin… I…” He sighs, not knowing what to say. “Thank you.”

 

The younger Prince smiles softly. “I’m sorry for dragging you into this when you’re not feeling your best. I’m hoping you’ll feel better soon.”

 

And with that, he bids his goodbye. 

 

“See? This is why I can’t do this. He’s too good. He doesn’t deserve this.” Junmyeon frowns. 

 

“My Prince, I think you already know what you’re supposed to do.” Kyungsoo looks at the prince firmly, but he looked away as he closed his eyes, fearful of what might happen to him, to his cousin, to their family.

 

Defying his father’s orders were something Jongdae would do, not him. No matter how absurd they were, he followed every single one of them. He had always believed that it was for his own good, that his father is just looking after him, but now at his current situation, he couldn’t think the same.

 

Another knock was heard on his door, this time the servants announce that it was his brother who was about to come in.

 

“Prince Jongdae had told Prince Jongin that your highness was having constipation, hence why Prince Jongin had been thinking you’re sick,” Kyungsoo utters before the younger prince could even enter.

 

“He did what?” In shock, Junmyeon asks to repeat what he just said though he heard it perfectly. It was late as Jongdae already enters the room. He was greeted by a glare from his brother causing confusion to him.

 

Jongdae’s eyebrow arches. “I haven’t even said or done anything. Don’t look at me like that.”

 

Ignoring what he just said, Junmyeon turns to Kyungsoo. “Thank you, Eunuch Do. You may leave now.” The servant bows his head as a sign of goodbye. Feeling like he had something to do with his brother glaring at him, Jongdae also glares at Kyungsoo until Junmyeon snaps him out of it. “How nice of you to tell Jongin that I’m suffering from constipation.”

 

Realising what has caused his reaction, Jongdae chuckles. “Oh come on, brother. Would you rather me tell him that you’d like to ignore him for the time being due to personal reasons? I’m quite sure he’d rather hear the former.”

 

“Gosh, it must be really hard for you to just simply say that I wasn’t feeling well.”

 

Jongdae internally rolls his eyes. Of course, his brother would suggest saying something so boring like that. He bites his tongue, careful not to say anything that will offend him. After all, he’s there to ask him a favour.

 

“What is the reason you’ve come to me instead of going directly for dinner?” The older Kim slouches at the couch nearby while the younger one chose to stand up. He was expecting him to follow suit but he didn’t. “Actually, I know why you’re here but before you say anything, I’d like to inform you that after a long time of thinking, I’ve decided not to follow father’s order this time so you better go to the dining room instead of wasting your time trying to change my mind.”

 

“I don’t think you’ve thought about it that much.” Jongdae insists. This time, he sounds serious.

 

“Listen, Jongdae. We may be brothers, but I must remind you, we’re not the same. Our interest is not the same. Fooling around may be your thing, but it isn’t mine.” He tells him firmly with actual sadness in his tone. He wishes he could have been a better older brother for Jongdae, he wishes he could have helped avoid the stupid things Jongdae is doing now, he wishes he had been a better supporter to Jongdae, unlike their father. Refusing to do what their father wants would be the start of him fulfilling those wishes.

 

“You don’t understand-”

 

“I really don’t, Jongdae. I really don’t understand why you’d think that I’d be willing to accept father’s ill intentions towards our cousin just so you can go around and do those stupid things? Even if I’m in power, I would never ever let you do that, Jongdae. I know we have our differences but-”

 

“Our mothers, hyung.”

 

As he didn’t hear properly what Jongdae said as he was mumbling, Junmyeon asks him, “What are you talking about?”

 

“It’s just…” Jongdae looks down at his feet, embarrassed to face his brother to ask him a favour. It was incredible to see his attitude quickly change in just a matter of minutes. “There is something we need in common, and the only way we could have it is if you sit on that stupid damn throne. You’ll have to be the king, hyung. That way we can finally meet our mothers.”

 

The desperation in Jongdae’s face and voice was a shock for Junmyeon. He hasn’t seen that expression from him in years. The last time he saw him like this was when he ed up for the first time and he had thought he’d be killed by their father himself. He changed so much after that.

 

Junmyeon was left speechless, and so was Jongdae. Apart from their father’s past, their different mothers was a topic they rarely talked about as it was closely linked. Back when their uncle was still the king, they were still aware that their mothers were not of the same background as they were but no one in the family really talked about the two women. Only the servants who took care of them told stories that they themselves never knew about.

 

Then, the coronation of their father came, and the situation got worse. Even the names of their mothers were like curse words that were prohibited to even whisper within the palace walls, let alone their whereabouts. A nine-year-old Jongdae once innocently asked his father how come his friends had mothers and he did not, he was not answered but told off instead for asking such a question.

 

“I know you’re equally curious as I am and I am fully aware of the differences that we have, but just this once… Can we not sacrifice something for our own good?” Jongdae looks directly at his brother’s eyes, tears forming in his eyes. He was genuinely asking from the bottom of his heart. If there was something that perhaps didn’t change from Jongdae when he was younger, it was his love for his mother. It was funny. He hasn’t even met the woman himself. “I mean, even if it’s just you, hyung. You’ve been obeying father for as long as I could remember. There is nothing wrong if you use your power for something you’ve been wanting to do. It’s not like you committing murder or something-”

 

“As if Jongin’s not going to help us if he gets the throne.” Junmyeon looks away, trying his best not to be convinced.

 

“Oh, he will. I know he will. Being the saint that he is, Jongin will try to help us, but do you think the council will let him? Those people have treated us as if we’re nothing! They didn’t even recognise us as royalty until our father became king!” This time, Junmyeon closes his eyes. “Don’t you get it, brother? It may seem that all of this is a way to kick Jongin off, but admit it or not, deep down it benefits us and perhaps, our father’s just looking after us.”

 

Though he sounded so sincere, Junmyeon has known not to fall for Jongdae’s schemes. He opens his eyes, but still avoids his brother’s eye contact. Instead, he looks at him by the mirror that was across his seat. “What an idiotic thing to say.”

 

At this point, Jongdae doesn’t really care anymore. Call it whatever his brother wants to call it. He knows he made some sense. “Hyung, please. I beg of you.”

 

“Jongdae, I also beg of you. Enough of this nonsense!”

 

Jongdae had no choice but to turn to his last resort. He actually didn’t want to do it because of his pride and ego, but he knew he had to eventually. He looks at Junmyeon’s shoulder and sighs. He then folds his legs, letting it reach the floor so he could do a low bow in the presence of his older brother. Taken aback, Junmyeon was unable to say anything nor move. It took him a minute or two to finally process what was happening.

 

His vile, egocentric brother. Jongdae was bowing before him. It was so unlike him. It just showed how desperate he really was.

 

The older Kim had tried to lift him up, telling him to stop, but fails to do so. It somewhat hurt him seeing his brother like that. “I don’t understand. What is that you want from your mother that you want to meet her so badly? You know how hard it’s going to be if we try. They’re probably expelled for all we know!”

 

“I do not care how hard, or how impossible it is. I want to meet my mother.” Slowly, Jongdae, who had been bowing down, finally looks up to Junmyeon. His eyes were teary. He was silently crying. “I want to ask her why she didn’t kill me when I was in her womb, unlike my father whom I sure would have done just that if he was in her place.”

 

 

A huge smile greeted Junmyeon when Jongin finally arrived at the dining room, which was delightful for the former. It’s just have been silent and awkward in the room with him and his brother. Jongdae had only muttered a lazy greeting to him and has been avoiding any conversation nor eye contact by distracting himself with a newspaper. Surely it’s because of their little talk last night.

 

While they were having a traditional Korean breakfast, Eunuch Byun talked through their day’s schedule. Jongin was slightly distracted by the newspaper Jongdae is reading. You see, he spots a picture of Soojung alongside an actor he didn’t know who at the back of the newspaper and he just had to mentally pray that it wasn’t a baseless dating rumour. Jongdae notices this and thought that his cousin was staring at him. It wasn’t until he looked at him when he realised that Jongin was trying his hardest to squint his eyes to discreetly read the news. Equally curious, Jongdae turns the paper so he could read it himself.

 

“My God. Why is he so foolishly into this woman when he doesn’t even know her very well?” Jongdae rolls his eyes. Though disgusted, he lets Jongin know what it was all about. “To save you some time, it’s not some dating news.” Jongin sighs in relief. “She’s just announced that she’s getting married.”

 

“I beg your pardon?!” The crown prince was quick to freak out. Seeing his reaction, Jongdae lets out an unintentional snort.

 

“Jeez, couz. Chill. She’s just been cast in a drama or something.” Jongdae passes the newspaper to Jongin, who quickly reads the header of the article he had been trying to read.

 

PARK BOGUM, JUNG SOOJUNG CAST IN ‘GOBLIN’ WRITER’S NEW DRAMA

 

Junmyeon, who had been silently having his breakfast and watching their conversation unfold, had no need to ask who they were talking about. Just seeing how pleased Jongin was after reading the said article, there was no doubt it was about Jung Soojung. It just made him wonder about the real score between them. But who was he to ask?

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, what’s going between you two anyway?” Jongdae asks as if he had just read Junmyeon’s mind. 

 

“Uhm, I-I don’t know. There’s nothing really… Nothing yet.” 

 

The brothers exchanged looks. Jongin never stutters. Was he actually getting flustered by a simple question about her?

 

“What do you mean… nothing yet?” This time, it was Junmyeon asked. He had a feeling he didn’t like where this was going.

 

“It’s just… Soojung. She’s one of a kind. She makes me feel like I’m a different person when she’s around. It's too early for me to know my feelings towards her but I’d like to know her better, honestly.” Jongin tries to hide this sheepish grin he had but fails to do so. Jongdae gags internally. “I was planning on asking her out one of these days.”

 

“Asking her out?” Junmyeon unintentionally questions in a judging manner. He didn’t mean to say it out loud as he had thought he was just thinking about it, but it seemed like he wasn’t the only person who was shocked. Jongin was understandably taken aback while Jongdae had an eyebrow raised. He was confused as that was something he would say, not him. “Forgive me for asking but why?”

 

“Yeah definitely forgive my brother, Jongin. He has never been in love.” Jongdae not so quietly whispers to Jongin, faking a laugh so he’d think he’s actually encouraging him. He looks at Junmyeon before continuing, seeing that his brother was trying his best to hide a glare. Of course, it didn’t stop Jongdae. “I think that’s a wonderful idea, couz! I know some great restaurants uptown if you want a proper date.”

 

Junmyeon just shakes his head. Everybody was playing their roles - Jongin being the innocent, naive one, Jongdae being his usual sly self and then there was him. He was unintentionally playing the bad guy like he was opposing Jongin’s plans, when in fact, he was just protecting him. What would the public think if the first thing the crown prince does after coming back was to flirt and play around this woman who is first and foremost, not of noble blood? Hearing how confident Jongin sounded, Junmyeon was almost sure that his father has given him permission to actually court the woman. It doesn’t surprise him at all.

a/n: after all this time, im still not over them.