eight

The Crown

It was a weird feeling to be in the same space as the young royals of the House of Kim for Soojung, simply because it felt awkward as they were younger and she had to show respect, despite the two insisting that it’s fine and she shouldn’t. In fact, she is called ‘noona’ and ‘unnie’ by Prince Mingyu and Princess Doyeon which shows their desire of wanting to be friends with the older woman.

 

“You know, our brother used to have a poster of noona in his dorm room,” Mingyu informs her on her left side. Doyeon confirms this on her right side. “Yeah, even our uncle knows of it.”

 

“The King?!” Soojung gasped at the thought of it.

 

Seeing how surprised the actress looked, the two proceeds on explaining how one time, the royal family decided to visit the prince unplanned. Of course, Jongin was very happy about seeing them. So happy in fact that he forgot that he had some merchandises of the actress including that big poster of hers when she endorsed this certain brand of car. Embarrassed, the prince tried to hide the poster but was unsuccessful.

 

“And that’s the story of how the Crown Prince of Jeju became a fool in our eyes.” Mingyu finishes.

 

“Ah, what a beautiful tale.” Doyeon smiles cheekily as she glanced at the astonished Soojung. “According to Eunuch Byun, he always seems silly when the topic is you. But you didn’t hear that from me.”

 

“I-Is that so?” The actress forces an uncomfortable smile. It was hard for her to imagine the charismatic prince like that, especially because of her.

 

How can Prince Jongin become very shy and foolish when it came to her when all this time he had been very confident when he talks to her? In fact, it was her who had been acting like a little kid when he’s around, stuttering and getting nervous when she talks to him even though she doesn’t want to be like. She just couldn’t help it. She still couldn’t believe she got to be acquaintances with him.

 

“Anyways, we’re not trying to embarrass our brother. We’re just trying to help him make the move on you.” The princess explains. “How has he acted towards you? Is he awkward with you? Forgive him for that. He hasn’t had a girlfriend since birth. I’m not even kidding.”

 

Not knowing how to reply, Soojung just shyly shakes her head. She couldn’t process all these information about the prince in her mind. 

 

Mingyu cuts her off, “I think he isn’t awkward with her. He even let her drive when they first met.”

 

Soojung doesn’t understand Doyeon’s reaction, who seemed really shocked after hearing that. “Apart from the fact that he must have his own personal driver, what’s wrong with that?”

 

“Jongin hyung has a phobia of somebody else driving him. He developed it after our father’s car crash. He has only had one driver, and it’s the same one that he had when he was younger.” Mingyu explains. “Apart from that driver, it’s either him or Eunuch Byun who has to drive, or else he won’t ride the vehicle. Hell, he doesn’t even let me drive when I’ve been studying very hard.”

 

“I mean… Your driving honestly . It’s very dangerous to be in the same car when you’re the one driving.” Doyeon gives his brother a judging looking. “I’m pretty sure the only reason why that driving agency will let you pass with your driving skills is that you’re part of the family.”

 

This is the part when the two siblings start fighting, not minding Soojung sitting in between them. She was unbothered, at least physically. After finding out the prince’s phobia, she had suddenly felt guilty for persuading him on driving that car he drove the night they first met. No wonder he insisted so many times to drive until he finally gave in. Now she’s feeling tier than before.

 

 

 

Honestly, Jongdae wasn’t really nosy. In fact, he didn’t give any on whatever the people around him would say, whether it’s about him or any other member of the royal family. And yet, he ish seen peeping on the keyhole of his father’s office to catch a glimpse of the king scolding his cousin for his actions last night. Or at least that’s what he thought.

 

Of course, it was completely useless. A small hole doesn’t equal front row seats to a rare sight of King Junyoung raising his voice at Prince Jongin. Oh, how he wishes he’s there to see that. He gives up on the sight, but not completely on hearing it so he brings his right ear on the door, but the only thing he could hear was murmurs. 

 

Curse these huge French doors!’ He thought to himself in annoyance.

 

“What are you doing Jongdae?” The sudden voice of his brother makes him jump which causes amusement to one of the guards standing next to him, who chuckles. The typical thing Jongdae would do was to fire him immediately, but he could only glare at the man as he was once called by Junmyeon. “Jongdae?”

 

“Oh, nothing hyung. I was just… admiring the interior of the palace. I don’t know why it took me so long to do so.” He does a fake laugh. “How about you hyung?”

 

There was no need to ask the stupid question as Junmyeon was wearing his horseback riding gear, but he panicked. “Uhm, I was just about to head to the stables if you want to come-”

 

“Goodness! I’m just so busy that I can’t come! How sad.”

 

“Alright…” Junmyeon raises an eyebrow while Jongdae just stood there awkwardly. How can he not know that this is his own way of telling him to get lost?

 

He was slowly losing his patience and was about to tell him directly when the door he had been leaning on suddenly opens, making him lose balance.

 

“Oh dear! Hyung!” Jongin utters as he caught him on time, but Jongdae immediately tries to maintain his composure though with difficulty.

 

“Jongin! What a surprise! I didn’t know you were there!” Jongdae displays a bad fake smile followed by a nervous laughter. “I was just about to talk to father.” At this brief moment, he studies the facial expression of his cousin, but there were no signs of frustration or disappointment on his face, much to his dismay.

 

“Is that so? I must really take my leave then.” Compared to Jongdae’s fake gesture, Jongin showed a grin that he couldn’t control, sparking the confusion to Jongdae and interest to Junmyeon. He walks away from the two brothers, but not before complimenting Junmyeon’s outfit. 

 

What has to happen to their cousin behind the closed doors, Jongdae doesn’t know but he’s sure as hell that it wasn’t he expected.

 

 

[enter-talk] HEOL, JEJU'S FILM FESTIVAL IS SOMETHING ELSE ;;

Honestly, I didn't want to watch the Film Festival
But since I heard Kentaro Sakaguchi will be there, I decided to check it out on Twitter
I wanted to see him interacting with Korean Celebrities ㅎㅎ 
But all I saw was that gif of Prince Jongin kissing Jung Soojung

I was seriously so surprised.....
Do you think they're dating?

[+949][-335]

 

ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+772][-236]
I was there when it happened.... It was surreal. Just like a scene from a movie.
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+709][-123]
He really is The Crown Prince. Look at that aura.
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+615][-68]
Kiss??? Did they really kiss????
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+384][-56]
He kissed her hand
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+593][-173]
I thought she was dating Lee Jongsuk?
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+578][-159]
Prince Jongin just came back though? I doubt that they're dating. 
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+532][-56]
Ah, I thought you'd post the gif. Where is it?
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+492][-202]
They look like they really enjoyed it
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+461][-194]
I mean, he can do whatever he wants. He's the prince afterall.
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+400][-126]
But can we talk about how handsome the royal cousins looked???

ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+384][-65]
Let's talk about this guy too

ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+231][-7]
Our princess looked the cutest
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+325][-148]
Isn't that what they do in Europe though? He's tecnically European so I don't why everybody's surprised
 
ㅇㅇ |2018.08.21 20:01 [+183][-74]
It looks like he's adjusting well
 

“Well, the comments aren’t really that bad. It seems like the public is more shocked than mad.” Amber states as she scrolled at the 23rd Pann post that she had read about the now famous hand kissing scene from last night’s festival - all of which are trending on the site. But it’s not just internet blogs that are buzzing with that specific moment. News sites have been headlining it with theories and relationship analysing and are even garnering more views than actual news articles about the festival itself. “Most comments are just people admiring how the prince looks.”

 

“I just read a comment saying how pretty Soojung looked with her gown and makeup. I quote, ‘Jung Soojung turns every event she walks into in some kind of Hollywood red carpet with her outfits. She is truly is the ‘It Girl’ of our generation.’” Sunyoung brags. Qian throws her a quick compliment but that wasn’t what she wanted. She wants comments about the prince and their princess.

 

When a loud thud on the door was heard, the three women quickly turned their heads from the screen off their phones. As soon as they saw Soojung on the door, they didn’t think twice on finally leaving their phones to swarm her. They quickly demanded every single detail that she had spent with Prince Jongin which immediately makes her frown. 

 

“I’m doing great, thanks for asking.” She answers sarcastically, pushing them away so she could sit down on the couch. It was as if they’ve totally forgotten about the fact that she fainted. Again. “Nothing happened between the prince and I so don’t even make any assumptions.”

 

“The company called. Do you want to know what they said?” Qian sits right next to her.

 

“Am I fired?” The actress still had a sarcastic tone, though she was somewhat hoping that they really did.

 

Oh, honey. You should watch or at least read the news.” Her manager laughs. Soojung hates reading it. All she ever sees are negative comments either about her looks, acting or attitude. Sometimes all three. “They’re dubbing you ‘Lady Jung’ and are calling you two ‘The Prince of Jeju and The Princess of the screen’. I’ve come to realise that I exaggerated last night. I really thought it’d backlash.”

 

Soojung sighs. Even the prince gets tangled to her now. “Though technically it’s kind of his fault…” She thought to herself.

 

“The company is elated. They’ve never received such good press before. In fact, they want you to date the prince so that-”

 

“What?!” Shocked by Soojung’s reaction, Qian and the girls were a bit taken aback. This wasn’t what they’re expecting. She didn’t look very happy and she didn’t even let her manager finish her sentence. That was so unlike her. Most of the time, she’d just sigh quietly whenever Core Entertainment tells her to date some celebrity. “You have to be kidding me. They can’t make me date him. He’s a prince for God’s sake! They can’t just drag the poor man to their ty schemes. He has a kingdom to run!”

 

“So you don’t want to date the prince?” Her manager asks, confused. 

 

“I’m pretty sure the prince doesn’t want to date me.” She sighs as she slouched back to the couch. “I’ve done some pretty bad things to him without even knowing. I even called him a for not wanting to eat dulboki.”

 

As soon as she says that, Amber lets out a loud laugh while Sunyoung gasps dramatically as they finally realise that the prince of Jeju and the man she was in love with for a night was the same person. Enraged by how she acted, Qian scolds the younger woman like the mom that she is to her. It wasn’t even because he was the prince, she shouldn’t have acted like that to anyone. Soojung knows all that, of course. But she was drunk, and helpless, and maybe a little too comfortable that night. 

 

Tired and already feeling guilty because of what she has done, Soojung walks away from her friends to lock herself in her room. The past forty-eight hours have been quite eventful for her that she needs a little time to breathe.

 

 

It was funny how close they all suddenly were even though they haven’t seen each other in ages, Jongin had thought. He noticed how some things are still the same, like how Jinri would tug her hair behind her ear when she gets embarrassed or how Taemin still has that ridiculous high pitched laugh that he so tried to get rid of when he was in high school.

 

There were also some things that were quite new for Jongin. Like how Jinri leans forward Taemin when she laughs. He doesn’t remember that much of skinship from her. Or how Taemin would look intensely at her whenever she’s saying something that Jongin forgets that he’s even in the room with them. It’s not that he minded. It’s just he didn’t know about it.

 

But then again, what does he know?

 

Jinri excuses herself for the loo, and Jongin is hoping that he could take this as a chance to ask Taemin things. Why was there a sudden pause to their friendship, what has happened all those years and why is everything suddenly back to normal? Did they miss him as much as he missed them, or was he the only one who felt that way?

 

Unfortunately, Taemin beats him. He asks a question first. “So are you going to tell her?”

 

Jongin had no idea who ‘her’ was, but he guesses that it was Jinri they’re talking about. “Tell her what?”

 

“She hasn’t said anything, but I know she has seen those articles of you and Jung Soojung. She’s with her phone all day so…” Taemin prevents having an awkward eye contact with him by playing with his glass of whisky. Still, the prince was confused.

 

“Okay, you have to more specific with me because I really don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“You know… When we were kids. The two of you. She still keeps that idea in her mind.” His friend replies, leaving him stunned.

 

Back when they were still living together in the royal court, the young prince Jongin was often teased to Jinri. Though not a princess, the youngest of the Chois was born off noble blood and is educated the same way as the royal cousins. She was the perfect candidate to be the future queen of the island - she was born in Jeju, she has the same age as Jongin and she’s beautiful inside and out. They were very close as well, so in reality, the only thing that prevented their parents from actually making them marry each other is their young age.

 

Honestly, Jongin never really thought about it growing up. And he thought, all these years she did the same as she would just shake her head or hide when they’re teased. He would often tell her that it was just a joke their families make to comfort her, but hearing what Taemin just said, he stood wrong.

 

“But our ‘engagement’ was never really official since we were young. Very, very young.” He states, taken aback by what he said. “And besides, I thought you had something with her.”

 

Taemin abruptly stops playing with his glass, placing it in front of him before giving Jongin a look. Though it wasn’t a scary or intimidating one, it was like he was telling him, ‘What the are you talking about?’ When in fact the only thing that he replies was a simple, “No.”

 

“No? What was all that about then? Not that I mind, I’m just hurt that I wasn’t informed.”

 

“There’s nothing going on, Jongin. It’s just when you left, we both started to live in Seoul and got closer. That is all.” He explains, being defensive and all. “I can’t believe you would think that way.”

 

“And what’s wrong with that? You sound so offended.” He chuckles in disbelief. 

 

“Because I know that she has a thing for you, and for you to say that… It’s ridiculous.”

 

“Well, I must really talk to Jinri really soon. I have no intention of fulfilling any of our families’ silly jokes when we were kids. It was just for their laughs, and it will stay that way. I simply think of her as a sister and nothing else.” The Prince explains firmly and as he thought of Soojung, he continues. “Besides, I already have my eyes for another woman.”

 

Intrigued, Taemin’s eyebrows knitted. “Don’t tell me… Is that woman the same woman that I’m thinking right now?”

 

Jongin shrugs, mainly because he doesn’t know who he was talking about. He doesn’t know how to read minds, but it seemed like Taemin does as he playfully punches Jongin a little too hard then he supposed to that his bodyguard clears his throat as he stood a few steps away from the two men. Either way, Taemin couldn’t contain his amusement and excitement.

 

“Dude but, have you consulted your uncle for permission? Are you actually thinking of asking her out?”

 

“Of course, I have. And I will if I see her in Seoul next week. She’s probably flying back there currently.”

 

“But do you think the public will approve of this? Don’t get me wrong, I’m very excited by just imagining you two if you cannot tell.” As someone who is the reason for him to know her through her movies, Taemin is now considering himself as the wingman in this future relationship. To think that his friend has been crushing on this girl since his early teenage years and that they might actually have a chance of dating was somewhat amusing to him.

 

“Can I be selfish for once, and think about myself for once?” The prince shows a small, cheeky smile. “But in all seriousness, I’ve just thought about what future might seem like with her this afternoon, so I haven’t really got that in my head. Either way, Soojung is a wonderful person. Everybody loves her already, and I know people will love her even more.”

 

“You sound as if you’re very close with her.” Taemin grows suspicious of him, that Jongin had no choice but to tell him everything that has happened to them so far: from him randomly meeting her for the first time in that cliff to him confess his feelings. Surprised but in a good way, Taemin was speechless for a few minutes. “Well, I guess the real question now is if she even likes you.”

 

“I mean, who doesn’t even like me?” Jongin tells him jokingly and silently, in fear that the people passing by their table would misunderstand him.

 

“Cheeky bastard.” Taemin shakes his head, laughing at him. 

 

“Seems like you two are having so much fun without me.” Jinri finally returns, with her looking at the two boys suspiciously, wondering what the hell they’re laughing about. “What did I miss?”

 

“Nothing much, darling,” Jongin tells her with a smile. She was about to go back to her seat when Jongin whispers something to her while Taemin just looks on.

 

 

If there was something Soojung liked the most, it was finally having time to herself. Don’t get her wrong. She absolutely loves meeting and thanking her fans. They’re the only reason why she hasn’t given up yet. But most of the times, her introvert self would get tired of the huge crowds she usually sees, and where else could she get the alone time that she well deserved than in her penthouse in uptown neighbourhood.

 

With no makeup and her hair all tied up in a messy bun, she lets her silky bathrobe fall into the tiled floor as she plunged into the tub full of bubbly water. As soon as her skin gets into contact with the warm water, she lets out a relieved groan until she’s fully soaked under water.

 

“I missed this.” She mumbles quietly, playing with the bubbles around her. She already knows that a long deep sleep will follow her bath. It was a pity that she could only use that twice a week, as it is the only times that she could go home. Her head turns to the window where she could overlook at the skyline of Seoul but as she stares more profoundly, she finds herself looking at her reflection instead.

 

There, she sees how tired she looks. For some reason, the words of confession of the prince echo through her mind suddenly, causing her to blush and turn back to the bubbles. She still hasn’t moved on the fact that the prince has actually confessed to her, and it seems like she won’t be able to any time soon. Soojung feels like as if she was deceiving him, as he had spoken good things of her like it wasn’t their second time meeting.

 

“At least you won’t see him anymore.” She tells herself as she sinks into the tub. 

 

Though it was supposed to make her feel secure, Soojung had just felt lonelier.

 

 

“Hmm, it’s a bit spicy, very strong… I can also taste some berries.” Junmyeon brings the glass of Burgundy on his nose for him to smell, then takes a quick sip once again before finally saying, “Dom de la Pousee d’Or Clos Tavanness, 2011.” He answers, finally removing the blindfold he had on his eyes. When he did he sees his cousin Jongin with his jaw wide open, speechless at his knowledge of wine. 

 

“I know you’re keen on wine, but I never knew that you like it this much hyung.” The Crown Prince states as he kept his shocked expression by his older cousin’s accurate answer of the wine that he had just tasted. Their wine tasting was supposed to be just a simple game, by Junmyeon was killing it. “I’m very impressed. I thought I’d win this game as I have been living in Europe, but we have a clear winner.”

 

Being the humble guy that he is, Junmyeon just smiles. “Is there a reason behind this random and sudden game of wine tasting or does my little cousin just misses me and wants to hang out? I sure hope it’s the latter.”

 

“I’m afraid it’s both, hyung. I’ve been here for days now but I never got the chance to be alone with you, however, I must speak to you about something as well.”

 

“You have my attention,” Junmyeon says, intrigued. 

 

“I will be meeting Prime Minister Bae for the first time the day after tomorrow and I was informed that he has a bit of a dislike towards the royal family. Of course, I meant that secretly. He wouldn’t dare to say that publicly.” Both of the cousins chuckles. “But I heard from a little bird that you’re quite close to the Prime Minister. How is that?”

 

“Ah, yes.” Junmyeon smiles before continuing. “I was close to his daughter Bae Joohyun as we went to the same university before. We’re still quite close if I may say so myself.”

 

 

“Perfect! Come with me then!” Jongin grins. “I’m officially inviting you to my royal tour of Seoul.”

 

Because of the sudden request of his cousin, Junmyeon was only able to blink as an answer. He doesn’t know what to answer, hell he doesn’t even know if he has a free schedule during the week, but he doesn’t refuse the Crown Prince, much to Jongin’s glee. While all of this was happening, Jongdae had been silently watching from the stairs that led to the underground wine cellar of the palace. He was looking for his brother all around and he just knew he would find him here.

 

“Your Highness, it is time.”

 

Jongdae feels the presence of his Eunuch, Minseok, and it is when he finally speaks. “Tell me, Eunuch Kim. What do you think my brother and my cousin are doing?”

 

“Seeing the bottles of wine and the unfinished goblets around them, I believe they’re having a wine tasting session, sir.” Eunuch Kim answers the obvious.

 

“What a load of bullocks.” Jongdae rolls his eyes. He then loses his patience and struts towards the two princes. “I see you’re enjoying yourself, brother. I hope you didn’t forget about the meeting with father.”

 

Junmyeon’s eyes widen a bit, not because of his brother’s random and sudden appearance but because he has forgotten about it. But of course, he won’t admit that. 

 

“Ah, Jongdae hyung. Maybe you could also come to Seoul with us.” Jongin asks him cheerfully. The thought of his cousins touring with him was making him all giddy like a little child. “The more the merrier.”

 

“My schedule’s a bit tight, but surely I could squeeze in.” He lies. He had no schedule at all but he wanted to sound like he had. “Anyways, I’m afraid my brother and I cannot stay any longer. Father is not very patient as you know.” Jongdae states though it sounded more like a threat to Junmyeon. The younger Kim quickly turns his back to the two, followed by Junmyeon who bids goodbye to Jongin.

 

 

Usually, when King Junyoung wants to have a word with his children, it would be in his office. This time, for whatever reason, he wanted to talk in his room. As Junmyeon waited for the doors to open, he glances at the younger Jongdae who seemed so calm and collected. It seems like he was the only one who had a bad feeling about all that. Hell, it’s already nerve-wracking for Junmyeon when he talks to him in his office, but who knows how personal their meeting today is. He was never very close to his father growing up, let alone now that he’s an adult.

 

The doors were open, but they were led to the open balcony where the King was.

 

“Your majesty, the princes Junmyeon and Jongdae.”

 

Both the young princes bowed to their father despite him having his back on his children. After doing so, the two stood in between him - with Jongdae on the left side while Junmyeon stood on the right. It is when he realises that his father has been smoking. The princes were then offered cigarettes by the servants, with Junmyeon politely refusing. Jongdae didn’t even think twice on accepting.

 

As soon as Jongdae’s cigarette was lit up, the servants leave, closing the door of the balcony to give the royal family privacy.

 

Jongdae, being himself, spoke too soon but was immediately shut off by the king. “You speak so much, child. You’re not even letting me speak.” Junyoung scolds with a glare, which made his youngest look down. 

 

“Jongdae is surely sorry, father. Forgive him as he is just excited by this sudden meeting.” Junmyeon tries to cover up for his brother. “I am equally curious, father. May we know why we’re called?”

 

Before speaking, the King lets out a sigh, putting out his cigarette. “The weather is changing in Jeju. It’s going to be cloudy soon.” Confused, the brothers exchanged looks as if they were thinking of the same thing - what the hell is their father talking about? The weather is always changing in Jeju, just like in any other city in the country. 

 

“How long have I been in this throne? Fourteen- Fifteen years?” 

 

“Yes, indeed father.”

 

Fifteen years, actually. Junmyeon still remembers that very day they lost their late uncle. He was at the palace’s library looking for books to read when he heard a commotion outside. He went out to the hallway to see everyone in a frenzy. He had no one to ask to as their servants were all running around, and though he had no clue, one’s thing is for sure – it was never a good thing if people were running in the palace.

 

Then comes Jongin together with the maids that took care of him. They were crying, he was not, and yet there was a panicked expression on his face. An expression he never sees on his cousin, an expression Junmyeon never forgot. He tried to ask him what was happening, but the younger Kim just shook his head, wordless. He continued walking leaving Junmyeon more confused.

 

Later that day, he and his brother were informed that starting that day, their father is king.

 

“As you both know, I was not originally to be made the king despite being the oldest. If my brother didn’t meet his untimely death, I wouldn’t have bear the crown. It has always been Jonghyuk, and then his first born, your cousin.” The King pauses for quite a while thinking about his nephew. His very own firstborn was noticing how his expression was getting serious, and somewhat annoyed for some reason. “But I have no intentions of letting Jongin sit on the throne.”

 

The two brothers looked at their father, both in shock of what they just had heard. Even Jongdae was scandalised despite his rocky relationship towards his cousin. If Kim Jongin was to be just tossed aside by their father, who is set to be the next king? Is their father planning to abolish the monarchy? It does seem like something Junyoung would do. But what a waste. The loyalists have fought hard against the government just so they could reestablish the monarchy and this is bound to happen?

 

“I am not just throwing away the crown if that is what you’re thinking.” The King states as if he just read their minds. “I am not letting your cousin inherit anything from his father,” He then turns to his right-hand side, “Because I want you to wear the crown, Junmyeon.”

 

Just when he had said that Junyoung catches the horror in Junmyeon’s eyes. He was horrified and taken aback by the words of his father. He had no intentions of becoming the next king. He had no intentions of stealing something that was not his. On the contrary to the reaction of his brother, Jongdae smirks in delight after hearing what the king has just said. Despite wanting to be king himself, the thought of having his brother as their king was more bearable than having their cousin as their king.

 

“It seems like my brother doesn’t want to, father. If you want, I volunteer myself to the job.” Jongdae utters in an almost joking manner, puffing another smoke.

 

“Nonsense! It is right and just for Junmyeon to take it. He is the first born after all. Just like how it should have been me in the first place.” He quickly turns to Jongdae to scold him, but the youngest of his sons was more relaxed now. He just took a step back, the smirk still on his face. The king then turns to Junmyeon again. “But it is quite true. You do not seem very happy.”

 

“Father, you know for a fact that I am not fit to be king. It is Jongin who should and must be king. He was born for this. I simply cannot… I cannot be king.” Junmyeon explains nervously. Jongdae doesn’t know if he’s disgusted that he’s talking to their father like that, or impressed that he’s actually speaking his own voice. “I am in no position to lead this kingdom.”

 

“You dare to defy my orders?” The King asks in his loud, booming voice. All this time, Junmyeon had done nothing wrong for his father to do that but here he was, trembling upon him like his seven-year-old self. “Here I am thinking that I’m doing something good, correcting a mistake my parents made when my brother and I were younger. But you’re making it look like I’ve done wrong. Am I committing an offence if I follow the rules, Junmyeon?”

 

“N-No, not at all father. But you know how hard Jongin have been working just so he could make his late parents proud. He has been studying all his life, training as the future king and sacrificing so much in the process. I am nothing in comparison.” He mumbles, his words getting more and quieter as he spoke. “Jongin is the only rightful heir.”

 

King Junyoung looks at Junmyeon with a glare. “He’s so much like his mother. Always thinking about the good of others.” He thought to himself in annoyance. “You know I don’t take ‘no’ as an answer, Junmyeon. I am your father. I am your King. You will do as I say, and you will mention nothing to your cousin. Do you understand?”

 

He was right. His father was right. He lets his eyes drop to the floor to hide his emotions. Despite not wanting anything to do with his plans, Junmyeon sighs quietly and nods along anyways.

 

“Very good.” His father says, giving a tight grip on his son’s shoulder. Junmyeon feels him leave the balcony and yet he still had this heavy feeling inside him. He then feels a pat on the back from his brother before he heard him leave, and though he wasn’t looking at him, he knows Jongdae was smiling.