four

The Crown

Taemin didn’t even budge when he hears his phone ringing on his nighttime table. He was determined that he won’t answer it, having had a tiring afternoon. He sets up a memo on his head to call whoever is calling as soon as possible tomorrow. But his phone wouldn’t just stop ringing. It wasn’t just bothering him, but it was also annoying the woman beside him. He finally gives up and reaches for his phone, knocking up some things in the process. He didn’t even bother to look much less to pick them up.

 

He answers with a yawn, but as soon as he hears his father’s voice, Taemin sits up. “Yes, father.”

 

Taemin glances at his desk clock and sees that it was 10 minutes to 11. His father would never call him up this late, unless it was very important. Hell, he wasn’t even the type to call him up, being a text kind of person. Taemin quickly glances at the woman beside him while he talked to his father. Seeing her gives him the sudden urge to hang up so he could do it again with her. That was until his father mentioned a name.

 

“Yes, I’ll do it immediately.” He answers, hanging up the call. He then stood up from the bed to open the television. Due to the noise it produces, she wakes up without him even knowing.

 

Usually he’d get when she kisses his neck and wraps her tiny arms around him, but Taemin’s eyes stayed glued on the screen. Wanted him to turn his attention to her, she was about to do much more than that, until she hears Jongin’s name and realizes that the news was reporting his coming back to the country. 

 

Stunned, she lets him go and walks closer to the television.

 

“I think we need to go back to Jeju-do, Jinri.”

 

As he expected, her mind goes black after hearing his name. He could only imagine what it would be like once they see him again.

 

 

It seemed like Jongin had his tongue cut as he was unable to speak a word in awe. But then what would he say? Sure the woman in front of him was the same actress he had been crushing on since his early teenage years, but it’s not like he could just tell her how he loved her movies and series and how she helped him ease his homesickness and depression.

 

Not now at least.

 

“I said, who do you think you are?” The actress asks in between sniffs. His appearance has distracted her without her even knowing. She has then move forward towards him, a few steps further from the cliff.

 

“I…” Jongin was actually about to formally introduce himself out of habit, but he suddenly realized something. She actually doesn’t know who he is, which is quite ironic considering how his arrival back in Jeju is all over the news. She must have a really tight schedule if she doesn’t know what’s happening around her. As she waited for an answer, Jongin wondered whether he should say the truth of who he was or not. But he was almost sure if she knew who he was, she’d pretend like she was okay and it’s not like he’s being nosy, but he wants to help her out in a way. “It doesn’t matter who I am. What matters is you and-”

 

“Me? Do you have any idea who I-” Suddenly, she seemed into panic after remembering that she’s a well known actress. “Wait, you… you do not know me, right?”

 

It looks like she was hoping that he doesn’t know her so he just shook his head slowly. She didn’t seem completely convinced but she had let it go, not even asking him again. It is then when she realizes that she had stopped crying. “See? You don’t even know me but yet here you are stopping me. You have no idea what I do or I’ve been through so if you could just please leave-”

 

“Miss, I know nothing of you but that doesn’t mean that I’ll leave you here just to…” He doesn’t dare to finish his sentence and just sighs. “It may be odd that I’m suddenly here and trust me, I really don’t know how I stumbled upon you, but I promise you,” He takes a step closer to her, his hand reaching out for hers, “I want to help you. I won’t hurt you.”

 

Soojung just looks at his hand, “How can I know that I could trust you?”

 

“I have no weapon with me.”

 

“It’s probably in your car or something.”

 

“If I wanted to kill you, I would have pushed off the cliff.”

 

“Okay, good point.” She looks away, turning her back to him. “Still, I don’t trust you.”

 

Of course she wouldn’t, Jongin had thought. Who would actually go with a stranger so suddenly anyways? He understands her thoughts, but he wouldn’t just leave her there. He just couldn’t after seeing her troubled. It wasn’t even because he has a crush on her, nor is he being nosy of why she’s miserable. He was genuinely, utterly worried for her.

 

Soojung didn’t even notice that he has stood beside her until he spoke again, “I know it’d be hard to just trust a stranger, but if you need to talk to someone, I’m staying here.” He then proceeds to sit on the ground to have a better view of the island, leaving her surprised.

 

 

“Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to be a star?” Soojung asked, earning a glance from him. For a second, he thought that she’s going to finally admit that she’s the Jung Soojung, but she was obviously talking about the stars above them that they were gazing at while their legs dangling off the cliff. It had made him nervous at first, but she has calmed down for the past 10 minutes. “Just floating there… Shining…”

 

“Hmm, it must be nice. They’re beautiful to look at too.” He smiles. He then points at one, claiming that it was it’s his favourite, though to her they all look the same.

 

“Sure, they are.” She mumbles lifelessly. “Do you think they get tired too?”

 

Jongin had to look at her one more time. She may or may not be unknowingly talking about her life and was just using stars as a metaphor. “Tired of what, exactly?”

 

“Of existing, I mean… They’re just there, looking pretty and .” He hears her say. “What is their purpose?”

 

“To give light to people.” Jongin answers firmly as thought about how much she helped him.

 

She didn’t seemed amused by his answer however as she didn’t reply immediately. “What is your purpose?”

 

“To lead my people.” Is what the most fitting for a prince to say, but of course he did not say that.  “To make my parents proud. That is my purpose in life.”

 

“Hmm, I see.”

 

“And yours?”

 

“I’ve done my purpose and I’ve failed it.”

 

Would it be too dramatic to say that it broke Jongin’s heart a little when he heard that? Because it did. To think that she was the one who kept him going all these years without even meeting her, and now finding out that she was unhappy in whatever she has done, he had wished he could have done something.

 

After hearing her laugh suddenly, Jongin realizes that Soojung was staring at him back. It was the first time in person that he sees her like that, and the first time since their first meeting to see her smile. For a second, he has forgotten what they were talking about as he was hypnotized by her sweet laughter. She was truly and undeniably gorgeous, Jongin had thought.

 

“What?” Soojung asks in between giggles.

 

“What what?” He asks back. He was a tad bit confused by what’s happening but he’d be lying if he didn’t say that he was enjoying this little moment.

 

“It’s just, it seemed like you’re about to cry by what I said.”

 

“I mean, it’s a bit… sad, you know? To hear you say those words.” He tried to explain, but she kept on giggling, amused by how affected he was. In the end, she just sighs but he could tell that she was still smiling.

 

After another period of silence, Soojung suddenly asks, “Did you mention that you have a car or am I just making things up?”

 

“No, I do have a car with me.” The prince answers, sitting up. He didn’t know what was happening on her mind, but she seemed like she wanted to go somewhere which he had been rooting for. He wanted to show her around, and now seemed like the perfect time. “Why? Do you want to go somewhere?”

 

Soojung nods excitedly, also sitting up just like him. This time, both of them were smiling. “Can I borrow your car keys-”

 

“Excuse me?” He manages to spit out before she could even finish her sentence. He wishes that he had just misheard what she said, but the girl said what she wanted.

 

 

Despite meeting her literally just an hour ago, Jongin already has an idea of how Soojung is. She is, without cameras, very talkactive, not that it was a bad thing. He found it amusing actually. She seems to be really shy and reserve on her interviews, letting her co-stars shine most of the times – not that he watches her interviews a lot.

 

(He totally does.)

 

But really, she’d speak about everything. She was telling a story about her friend who travelled a lot when they passed by a dog and she got distracted. Mind you, she was the one driving at the time and it actually took Jongin a lot of courage to let her touch the wheels as it has always been driven by his grandfather and his father. Upon seeing a stray dog passing by, the actress gets a little too excited, moving her eyes from the road which caused the car to swerve a little bit from its lane. Thankfully, nothing grave really happened.

 

It turns out that Soojung had wanted to go to an aquarium. She had told him that she had been to Jeju a lot of times, but has never been there. The aquarium was actually about to close the moment they arrived. However, the moment they entered the establishment, the staff had stopped closing. At first Jongin though that they recognized him. That was until they started to crowd around Soojung herself. He had just pretended that he was too amazed by the fishes to notice what was happening.

 

“I like looking at fishes. Watching them make me so calm.” Soojung says. She was now wearing a hat from the aquarium’s shop. Apparently it’s her incognito look. “I have two clown fish in my apartment. They’re called Ariel and Eric.”

 

“Do you?” The Prince asked in amusement upon hearing its names. “I never knew you had fishes. Let alone a pet.”

 

“That’s because I didn’t mention it anywhere.” She looks at him suspiciously by his choice of words, and he knew of it. “You sure you don’t know me?”

 

“Am I supposed to, miss?”

 

The actress scoffs as she looks back at the huge fish tank. She thought of how persistent the boy was. She was pretty sure he knows her. “Well, I know who you are.” Surprised, Jongin almost chokes on his saliva upon hearing what came of . “You’re a carnapper, aren’t you?”

 

“No…?” He replies, utterly confused. He wonders and awaits for her explanation for such a random thought, in which she does, “You have a really antique ride that must cost a fortune, and yet you’re wearing a fake Chopard.”

 

Jongin eyes his wristwatch. To be honest, it wasn’t even his to begin with. He had just decided to pass by his brother’s room before actually leaving to brag that he’s going to drive their father’s old Ferrari (as if he hasn’t been doing that all dinner) and saw the watch on his table. Mingyu didn’t mind his brother trying the watch on his wrist, mainly because he was on his phone, and Jongin, being excited to go the shed and to drive the car, forgets to give it back. But even Kim Mingyu wouldn’t wear a fake watch. At least that’s what Jongin thinks. Now he’s totally questioning his closeness with his brother.

 

“You don’t sound very sure. I bet the car is G-Dragon’s. I heard he has a house here somewhere.”

 

“I don’t even know who that is.” He mumbles to himself, confusedly. He makes a mental note to check out more trendy musical artists in the country these days to not embarrass himself from his siblings.

 

“Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone. Promise.” He looks at her to see her wink, then offering a pinky promise. He didn’t know what expression he had but he must have a really puzzled one as she started to explain how it works, but Jongin was quick to insist that he does know what it was and how to do it. Though he is totally, in no way, a damn ‘carnapper’, he still twists his pinky into hers, but it’s totally not because he wanted to have a little skinship with her.

 

Soojung looks at their hands intensely, and then back to him, “So you’re really are a-”

 

“I am not!” Jongin whines, almost sounding like a little kid, which makes her laugh.

 

 

“It’s just… It’s just so sad.” The actress sighs, before crying once again. “Nobody… Nobody ever listens to flight attendants when they’re explaining the safety procedures. I just feel so bad for them!”

 

Also teary eyed, Jongin nods his head slowly. It was true, but he’d be lying if he says he hasn’t done that too. “Respect for flight attendants, am I right?!”

 

“Exactly!”

 

Never in a million years would the Prince of Jeju think of eating in a shabby old shop that sells Korean street food, and yet he finds himself sitting in one, in front of the girl he has a crush on. The fact that they’re drinking together has earned a place on his 'memorable things that he has done' list. He really had no idea what was happening, but he was liking the fact that they were alone in that place and talk.

 

“Sorry, it’s the time of the month and I’m getting emotional.” She says, wiping her tears as an indication that she’s not going to cry no more. Jongin didn’t understand what she meant, but says ‘same’ anyways to be relatable. Soojung just pretends like she didn’t hear it. “Ahjushi, five more bottles of soju please!”

 

Jongin gestures the owner not to, seeing Soojung already red due to the alcohol despite her insisting that she has a high tolerance to alcohol. She catches him doing it and she was obviously not happy. “Hey, handsome. Just because I’m with you doesn’t mean you get to decide what I do.” Jongin didn’t hear anything but the words, ‘handsome’. “, are you even legal?”

 

“Of course I am!” Jongin answers, a little offended that she thinks he's younger. “We have the same age!”

 

After hearing what he said, Soojung smiles cheekily, “Heh. I may be tipsy, but I never recall mentioning my age.” Realizing what he has said, Jongin quickly insisted that she was hearing things since she’s drunk. She responded by teasing him and poking his cheeks. For whatever reason, it makes his heart flutter. “You know, I really feel like I know you.”

 

“R-Really?” He asks her. He doesn’t even know why he’s suddenly nervous.

 

“You’re one of those rich kids that I’ve seen on events, aren’t you? You’re a socialite. You own a Ferrari, you been pretending that you like fishcake but I know you want to vomit it out and you have an extensive knowledge of various things. Surely because you live abroad and is just currently visiting the country.” She proclaims confidently. “You’re a rich kid, but the humble kind.” This time she was a hundred percent sure. But the boy just shakes his head. “Then who are you and why did you decide to be with me tonight?”

 

“Just like what I told you before, it doesn’t really matter who I am.” He explains. “When I saw you in that cliff, the first thing that I thought is to stop you in whatever you were planning. You don’t have to be a friend of mine to receive this kind of act. I knew that I must help you.”

 

Soojung, startled by the sudden seriousness in him, looks at him in awe.

 

“I don’t know what you’ve done before that failed, but let me tell you that you still have the time to change that. You can’t let the past change your future, you have to let the future change the past. Surely it will be hard, but there is nothing in this world that you cannot change.” Jongin assures her as he holds her hand to comfort her without him even knowing what he was doing. “So tell me, what is your purpose in life?”

 

She was lost for words. She was absolutely moved that tears were started to form in her eyes, and this time she couldn’t even blame her period on it. Those words. She had been dying to hear those words. And it comes from a stranger, no less.

 

 

Soojung looks at the mysterious man in front of her, wondering who he really was. His sunkissed tan, his jet black pushed back hair and his golden chained necklace that was on his exposed chest. It was an image she was surely never forget. His gentlemanly ways, his sharp words,  his sophisticated manner. Was he a God? An alien, perhaps? Maybe an angel? How could a man like him exist? And why would he appear now?

 

She was intrigued.

 

“Are you still going to refuse to tell me who you are? Not even your name?” She asks him after he helps her get out of the car. As she expected he refused to do so, but she was really hoping he would since they were already bidding their goodbyes. Soojung shakes the thought of them meeting together again. It’s not like they could be friends anyways. Or anything more than that. With her busy schedule, it’s impossible. “Well, I know I don’t have to say my name.”

 

Still, he didn’t budge. He mentions no name. He doesn’t say her name.

 

What a stubborn one.” She thought to herself. She bids him goodbye as she walked to the stairs of her hotel. She stops on the last step to dramatically turn back to him. She sees him waving goodbye with a smile on his face, as if he wasn’t affected by the fact that this will be their last time seeing each other.

 

But no, she wasn’t going to be stubborn like him. Jongin was startled after seeing her run back to where he was and jump from the last step to hug him. He had no idea where to put his hands, and was too scared to touch or wrap his hand around her.

 

“You know, I actually had fun. Thank you.” She whispers, hugging him a little longer than she expected she would. When she broke off the hug, she plants a quick kiss on his right cheek and before she could even see his reaction, she runs back to the stairs.

 

“Miss Jung!” He finally manages to blurt out after all that. After hearing her name come out of his mouth, she turns around with a smirk. He was red as a tomato, something he wished she wouldn’t notice but it was impossible not to. He was absolutely smitten. “Uuhh… Sweet dreams!”

 

She’ll be having sweet dreams all right. “I swear to God, if this gets out to the media because of you posting it on your SNS, I will look for you myself.”

 

a/n: bruuUUHH i watched infinity war like three days ago and im still a WRECK. u marvel, and u thanos. i cant believe they did that.