five

The Crown

“Dude, where have you been? Qian has been really stressed.” Amber exclaims after seeing her friend come back to her hotel suite.

 

However, as she was still over the moon due to her sudden rendezvous with this mysterious man, Soojung did not say a word, nor did she bother listening to whatever Amber has just said. Instead, she squeezed her friends cheek, something unusual for her to do, which is how Amber realizes that something strange has happened. Stunned, she just let her enter the room.

 

“See? I told you she’s coming back, Qian.” Sunyoung shouts from the couch as she watched late night news while eating some crisps. Amber joins her seconds after.

 

Out of nowhere, a hysterical Qian appears in front of Soojung, screaming and shouting as she questioned her sudden disappearance. And just like how she approached Amber, Soojung was unfazed even when her manager was literally shouting in front of her face due to her mind being elsewhere.

 

“I can’t believe you come back to me drunk!”

 

“I am not drunk.” Soojung replies in a matter of fact tone. She tries to escape but her manager grips her wrist and sits her down on a couch opposite the television.

 

“Don’t lie to me, Jung Soojung. You’re red as !”

 

“Oh, please Qian. Relax. I am simply blushing.” She replies with a small smile which quickly turned into a grin as soon as she started her story, “You won’t believe what happened to me tonight! I’ve just met a mysterious man and I know it’s very early to say this, but I may or may not be in love with him.”

 

“Oh my God, she’s speaking nonsense.” The Chinese woman shook her head, sighing.

 

As Qian tried to remind Soojung the consequences of her running away so suddenly and without permission and how she almost called the cops on her, a news report of the prince arriving at Jeju International Airport and the movie festival tomorrow evening flashed on the suite’s HD television screen. Amber and Sunyoung exchanged looks. They both knew that Qian had been waiting for this report as she had wanted to hear both the Prince’s name and Soojung’s name together, but by the looks of it, it wasn’t the best time to interfere between the two.

 

 

Baekhyun thought it was weird that he was waking up without the sounds of the Star Wars theme song blasting his phone. It was the first thing he would hear, and no matter what happens it would always make him get up no matter how tired he was. (But then who wouldn’t? It sounds so frightening.)

 

It was then he realized that he was being woken up by the prince himself, as he shook the body of his eunuch softly.

 

“Your royal highness!” He quickly jumps off his bed to bow in front of him. While doing so, he glances at the wall clock. It was four minutes to seven. Four minutes till his alarm rings. It was so unusual for the prince to wake him up, let alone be in his room so he had suddenly felt nervous. Whatever the reason why he was there, it was surely important. “Oh man, I hope I didn’t drool last night.”

 

“Oh, Baekhyun! You’ll never guess what happened to me last night!”

 

The prince calling him by his first and real name could only mean one thing: he wasn’t there for his loyal servant. He wanted to speak to his close friend.

 

It meant that he could speak informally to him, that this wasn’t going to be a political topic, that he wanted to speak man to man. The first time they did that, Baekhyun almost cried. He felt so close to his prince and not all servants could say the same way and to think it was Jongin who asked him that. He would always feel like he had a connection with him despite being with him for only nearly six years.

 

As if on cue, Baekhyun sat on his bed comfortably. “Uhm, somebody recognized you?”

 

“Well, actually… I just realized it, but nobody actually recognized me. Huh. I’m kinda disappointed now.” Jongin followed suit, sitting beside him. His expression quickly changed from confusion to excitement after remembering what happened to him. “Any who, guess who I met!”

 

“Erm,” Baekhyun pauses for a long time, not really sure what to answer. “A former servant?”

 

“Such a dull answer! Come on, guess again!”

 

“Kim Jongun?”

 

“Okay, that’s a bit too much.” The prince shakes his head. As his grin turns bigger, he tells him, “I met Jung Soojung!”

 

“No!” Baekhyun gasps dramatically. So that’s why he was so eager to wake him up.

 

“Yes!” Jongin nods enthusiastically. His eyes started to shine bright as he started his story of how he found her in that cliff, which later resulted in them hanging out all night. “She was so genuine, so unlike her image on screen. She’s cute, funny, so… so imperfectly perfect, just like me.”

 

Baekhyun stares at his prince with happiness. He hasn’t seen him this excited since Germany won the World Cup last 2014. As Jongin continued to tell his story while doing a lot of hand gestures (Curse his European friends. Now he couldn’t stop doing that when he talks.), Baekhyun nods along, listening to every little detail of the story. Jongin wouldn’t even want to be cut off, immediately hitting ‘X’ on Baekhyun’s alarm went it went off.

 

“And oh, she doesn’t know me.” He finishes off, which confuses Baekhyun. How could she not know the Prince of Jeju? “Oh, don’t make that face Baekhyun. We didn’t even know what BTS was until recently.”

 

“But you’re the Prince of Jeju!”

 

“She’s a busy woman. Of course she wouldn’t know me.” Jongin says, as if he wasn’t an important person.

 

“Well, did you tell her in the end at least?”

 

Jongin shook his head. He did thought of doing that at first, but he was so surprised that she kissed his cheeks that he forgot who he was for a moment. “Oh, I forgot to tell one important detail which is the fact she freaking kissed me!”

 

“No way!” Baekhyun shouts in disbelief as he made a gesture of two people locking lips with his hands, but the prince shyly shook his head, pointing at his cheek.

 

Who would have thought that they’d be sitting on Baekhyun’s room at 7AM talking about his crush like a bunch of kids from middle school? It was a weird feeling for Jongin. He has still couldn’t believe entirely that they’ve already met, and that she had actually enjoyed his company, which he knows that is genuine as she hadn’t known who he was actually.

 

“My problem now is that I have no idea what to do when we meet tonight.” Jongin says, the tone of his voice suddenly becoming so serious. “It’s weird. I have met her and yet I’m still nervous at the thought of meeting her again.”

 

Despite Jongin always feeling uncomfortable whenever Baekhyun does that smile, he knows that the latter has a solution towards his easy problem. After all, he knew very well that he’s a big romantic. “Don’t worry. I got this.”

 

 

To Soojung, eating ramen at such an early morning was just weird, most especially when you’re staying at a five-star hotel and eating the said ramen in the hotel’s restaurant. But then again, who was she to judge Lee Jongsuk?

 

Maybe it was that exactly why she just couldn’t like his co-star despite their companies trying their best to push them together. The man’s weird and vain all at the same time, which was such an odd combination. One minute he’ll be flirting with her, and at the next minute you’ll see him sniffing his shoes or something. Still, he wasn’t the worst man she has encountered.

 

“What is your purpose?” Soojung asks randomly as he slurped his noodles straight to his mouth. She couldn’t help it. She was still thinking of last night’s events.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“What is your purpose in life, Jongsuk?”

 

Jongsuk stares at the actress with an eyebrow raised. He didn’t not know why she was asking such weird questions at this hour. “Uhm, I don’t know… to marry you? Why are we even talking about this?”

 

Soojung doesn’t even know why she asked.

 

“Ah, I know now. It’s because you’re sick. That’s why you’re asking such weird things.”

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“Qian told me you were not feeling well last night, hence why you cancelled our plans last night.”

 

“Of course she’d say that.” Soojung thought to herself. Her manager would lie about everything for her sake and she couldn’t be more thankful. She just couldn’t face Jongsuk last night. Not at that state. “Yes, I was. Sorry for such a bizarre question.”

 

“I mean, it’s okay. It’s just too early for my brain to answer those kind of stuff.” He finally finishes his noodles after sipping it for the last time. He places the empty cup on the table in between them and then lets out a disgusting burp which he didn’t even apologize for. Soojung didn’t buldge. She was used to that. “Have you eaten, by the way?”

 

“I have, yes.”

 

“Really?” Jongsuk raises an eyebrow. He doesn’t remember her mentioning that she has not had her breakfast, nor did he see her have anything prior to arriving there.

 

Soojung maintains a stern face. Her expression is totally unreadable.

 

“Alright then.” The actor shrugs.

 

 

“Looking dapper brother!” Mingyu says as he flopped down at the couch next to his brother who could only open one eye as he was being tended by his stylists.

 

Currently, one of the sitting rooms of the Nexus Palace, which was located in the newest wing of the royal residence, was occupied by these journalists from KBS who had managed to have an exclusive interview with Prince Jongin. It was set to air later that night after the live coverage of the film festival and he really didn’t know how they’re going to edit it. Either way, he was secretly nervous about it no matter when it was airing. After all, this was his first interview alone.

 

“What is this kid talking about?” He thought to himself. He always looked like that – a quaffed hairstyle with a suit. “What do you want, Kim Mingyu?”

 

“Jeez, I’m just saying hi to you.”

 

“You could have just said ‘hi’ to me.”

 

“Come on, hyung. You’re making me sound like as if I only talk to you when I want something.” Mingyu pouts. “Anyways, since we’re at the topic of favours and since the festival is still hours away, how about I put the Ferrari for a test drive-”

 

“No.”

 

“Hyung!”

 

By this time, the stylist have finished touching up Jongin’s hair and have left the two royals alone. This also meant that Jongin had managed to look at his younger brother and though it wasn’t a glare, he manages to make Mingyu shut up and pout in one look. Despite living miles away, the eldest Jongin still made some decisions when it came to his siblings, especially after he turned 18. He was never the strict type, but everybody knows that it’s no joke when he’s mad. 

 

“You don’t even have a driver’s license.”

 

“That’s why it’s a test drive…” Mingyu manages to mumble under his breath, still pouting.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“That’s right.” Jongin’s pats his brother’s legs a little too hard, which earned a groan from Mingyu. “Do you know who drove that car last night?”

 

Mingyu looks at his brother in disbelief. He has been bragging about how he was going to drive the car last night so there was no need for him to ask that. “Oh, I don’t know. I wonder who?”

 

Jongin glances at the busy TV crew around them before whispering, “Jung Soojung.”

 

“Jung Soojung?!” Mingyu gasps not so quietly. Jongin immediately covers his mouth.

 

“No need to shout, Kim Mingyu.”

 

“I’m sorry, it’s just… Wow.” Mingyu tilts his head in confusion. How the hell did his brother manage to let his childhood crush drive their father’s antique sports car? How did he even meet her in the first place? He thought that they were supposed to meet at the festival that night? There were so many questions in his head, and apparently it was evident on his expression as Jongin had started to tell him the story.

 

“I meant to tell you last night, but I came home late so…”

 

“Are you really sure it was her? Maybe it was doppelganger.”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

 

“Maybe it was just your imagination since you’re so eager to meet her tonight.”

 

Jongin scratches his head, a habit that he usually does when he wants to do something but he morally cannot. He might want to hit his brother on the head because of his stupid theories but not when they’re surrounded by people. Thankfully one of the crew had asked him to come with him to review the questions.

 

“I’m coming.” He tells the crew member before standing up. But before that he tells his brother, “She even knew that your watch is fake.”

 

“Watch? What watch?” The younger Kim had wondered out loud, not knowing what he meant until he remembers that his brother had worn one of his watches last night. “Oh, it’s from Hongdae! You should visit sometime!”

 

 

“What’s your purpose in life, unnie?”

 

Sunyoung looks at her actress friend with a smile as she did her makeup. She had thought that she was sleeping just like how she always does when she’s doing her makeup. It startled her to say the least when she suddenly spoke. Either way, her question intrigued her.

 

“What do you mean darling?”

 

“I mean, why do you keep on going? What is the reason?”

 

“Well, first of all, I enjoy doing my job, which is making you pretty.” Soojung opens an eye, and Sunyoung immediately knows why. “Pardon me. I meant prettier.”

 

Soojung smirks as Sunyoung continued her eyemakeup, making the latter laugh. “I knew you’d say that.”

 

“I enjoy your company, I enjoy seeing you do your thing, I enjoy being with Qian, Amber and you. That’s why I’m here.”

 

Though it was such a lovely answer, Soojung still didn’t understand completely. She still couldn’t think of a perfect response for that question. Was entertaining people her purpose? The younger version of herself would agree, but she wasn’t so sure these days. It felt more of a job than a purpose. It was more like she had to, not because she wants to.

 

Don’t get her wrong. Despite being capable of singing or modelling, Soojung would choose acting than any of those two. She liked the thought of pretending. It was her excuse to be someone she is not.

 

“Miss Jung’s dress is here.” One of their staff pops their head into the room to inform the stylist on the arrive of Soojung’s gown.

 

“Perfect. Just on time.” Sunyoung applies the last bit of lipgloss on Soojung’s plump lips. She looks at the finish product of her ‘art’ and couldn’t help but to smile. Soojung looked like a princess, even while wearing a bath robe.

 

 

One of the protocols the royal family has to follow is the fact that the royal siblings must never travel in the same vehicle. Maybe it doesn’t apply much with Junmyeon and Jongdae, but it is a must when it comes to the heirs Jongin with Mingyu or Doyeon who are the next, second and third to the throne respectively. Though Mingyu or Doyeon have been going back and forth from Jeju to Seoul for school together, The Crown Prince has never travelled with his siblings in fear of an accident striking the family which can cause to a loss of a line to the throne.

 

He must admit, Jongin does feel lonely and abandoned most of the time when he travels. Sure he enjoys travelling with his friends in Europe, but it’s still different when he’s back home. He could only wish he could be in the same car with Mingyu and Doyeon and goof around, but he wouldn’t want to risk the throne either, no matter how crazy their beliefs are.

 

Thankfully, his cousins are there to accompany him to the film festival, much to Jongdae’s annoyance.

 

“You look quite thrilled.” Junmyeon comments after noticing Jongin’s small smile that he tries to hide.

 

Jongin had been thinking about tonight’s events. He was wondering if Jung Soojung’s looking forward for the festival, or if she’s excited to see the prince just like how the prince is excited to see her again. Upon hearing his cousin, Jongin’s thoughts were brought back down to Earth. “Me? Of course I am. Tonight will be such a good night.”

 

Honestly, Jongin wasn’t just excited about that night. He was also feeling nervous at the moment, and it wasn’t just because of Jung Soojung. That night was his first public appearance ever so it was quite an important event. Much more since the festival was especially done in his honour. He was like a mystery in Jeju despite being its prince since he has grown up in Europe. If there was something everybody knew about him is his reportedly love for movies, hence why the first Jeju Film Festival was born. It was like a welcoming gift for him.

 

Upon exciting the car, Jongin was met with a bowing crowd which lasted for about 10 seconds until they finally started to do their thing – taking pictures. He has never seen cameras flash so fast in his life as he was never really used to this kind of treatment in Europe. He does know he should be used to it now, being The Crown Prince. After being stunned for a second, he proceeds on walking through the red carpet, with both Junmyeon and Jongdae behind him, unintentionally making a triangle formation as Jongin walked in front of them.

 

After giving constant interviews for 15 minutes, the scream of the crowd becomes louder than usual and it’s not like celebrities have stopped arriving. The noise was so loud that Jongin has to shout his answers to the reporter conducting his interview. He doesn’t know if it’s rude, but it was the only way of conveying his response. He apologizes, but the reporter just laughs.

 

“It’s okay. It’s usually like this when Jung Soojung is around.” The reporter informs, and as if on cue, his head automatically turns around.

 

And there she was, looking so good in this golden off-shoulder couture gown, getting off the car with the help of Lee Jongsuk. It was strange, Jongin had thought. How come time is suddenly slowing down now that she was here?

 

While Jongin is enjoying the view, Soojung was not despite her looking like she was. Upon arriving at the venue of the film festival, she and her co-star were reminded to look ‘lovey-dovey’ as much as possible and it seems like Jongsuk was down to it. Him being okay with all of the their company is telling them to do is a mystery for her. It’s not like they’re both rookie actors anyways, and she could confirm that the boy has no feelings for her, seeing him flirt with other girls all the time.

 

“Damn it.” She thought to herself when Jongsuk tightens his grip on her waist. When he did, the fans got excited. The only reason why she still has a smile to her face and hasn’t pushed him off was because of the cameras in front of them as they posed. He must think they’re Song Joongki and Song Hyekyo.

 

Soojung looks around to search for a reason to escape, but so far all she sees was the crowd, the flashing lights of the journalist and the staff. She looks more further to the right and finds a man grinning at her. At first she had thought that it was just a normal fan wanting to have her attention so she returns him a small smile, until she realizes who it was.

 

“It’s him.” Her light suddenly lights up. “It’s actually him!” She now couldn’t hide the bigger smile on her face. It was easy to escape from Jongsuk’s grip as she unexpectedly slithers away from him. The actor just thought she was giving him the spotlight that he deserves. Hipnotized by the camera flashes and unknowing to him, his co-star was about to make the highlight of the night.

 

To Soojung, this was destiny. Seeing him again was something she didn’t expect. She thought last night was the last night she’ll ever see him again. Now that she was meters away from her, she thought maybe, just maybe, there is something to this. There was a reason for them to meet again.

 

For a second, she had forgotten that they’re in a public place and her heart was telling her to hug him. But her mind knew that she had to remind herself of who she is and where she is. So instead of hugging him just like she thought she would do, her arm raises slightly as if she was asking a high five from him. It was an awkward scene to see, especially since the boy was just looking at her initially.

 

“Dude, give me a high five.” She tells him mentally. Unfortunately for her, he didn’t have telepathy.

 

Instead, the boy carefully takes her hand in front of him, and inspired by all the romance movies that he has watched, kisses it in front of the seven hundred people in front of them with his eyes still looking at hers.

 

Chaos insured during that moment. Suddenly all the cameras were on them, not on the celebrities surrounding them. Even Soojung who has been in the industry for most of her life hasn’t seen so many flashes going off, but for some reason she doesn’t hear the cameras or the screaming of the crowd. The only thing she could hear was her own heart beating than normal, something that she hasn’t felt for so long.

 

Typically, she should be freaking out. A man just kissed her in front of everyone. There’s no doubt that this will be on the front page in seconds. But for some reason, all she could feel was the butterflies in her stomach. She was now more impressed with this mysterious guy who had the guts to kiss her when they’re not even alone.

 

“What a rebel.” She feels her cheeks flush red, but that didn’t keep her and his smile away.

 

Why is she so comfortable with this guy, she didn’t know. But she liked it.

 

The next thing she knew, she was harshly grabbed by her manager in her shoulder, which was so unlike Qian. When she turned around, everybody had worried expressions in their faces. She didn’t understand why. Sure somebody kissing her was quite scandalous, but it was just on her hand. They were acting as if she has killed someone with their dirty looks.

 

“You idiot! That’s no ordinary man you’re flirting with!” She tells her off. “That’s The Crown Prince of Jeju, Prince Jongin!”

 

At first, Soojung wanted to laugh. There is no way the Prince of Jeju would be roaming around the city with her last night. She turns around to him once again, only to finally notice Prince Junmyeon and Prince Jongdae behind, whom she both met before on former events. They have the equally surprised faces as everybody else and it could also mean one thing.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Miss Jung. I’d like to formally introduce myself,” The boy smiles. It annoys Soojung because it was genuine smile. He really was happy to see her which meant that it was really true. “I am Prince Jongin, the Crown Prince of Jeju.”

 

Soojung, being the actress that she is, keeps her composure. That was until she remembers that she called him a last night. “E-Excuse me, I think I need some air.”