Chpt 2/?: Uninvited guest

Why won't you fall in love?

 

A/N: Sort of slow burn, but well, it takes time for people to get to know each other^^ Word Count:3110


 

The next few days were just as normal, he would stay at the rooftop for lunch, walk him alone, finish all his homework, watch some drama or practise his instruments. Eunwoo’s glad that he has his peace once again, and that the war with the satanic weather was ending. The sun was slightly less angry with him as it seems, given the occassional blowing of the wind and cloudy afternoons that made his rest at the rooftop all the more pleasant.

 

 

Eunwoo’s new favourite song ‘Baby’ was playing in his earphones and he was enjoying the tune and nodding his head to it. Astro is a refreshing boy band, with really good music and dance skills. The music puts his mind at ease, especially since has just finished Calculus classes, which always took a toll on his brain. Nothing can make this day worse –

 

 

Dammit, Eunwoo thinks to himself, he said it too soon as he sees Moonbin with his wings folded standing at the edge of the rooftop.

 

 

“Move it, you’re blocking the view,” Eunwoo casually commented, trying to make sure his perfect afternoon with Astro would not be ruined.

 

 

“Excuse you, I am the view.” Moonbin says with his arms on his waist. His wings spread open, blocking Eunwoo’s entire line of sight now. “Is that how you greet your friend?”

 

 

“Friend?” Eunwoo sits up, taking out one earpiece.

 

 

“Are we not?” Moonbin says, though not wanting to hear a reply and continues immediately, “Anyway, has anyone cute or pretty catch your eyes yet?”

 

“I said I’m not interested.” Eunwoo deadpanned, putting his earpiece back and lying down on the ground again.

 

 

Moonbin walks down from the ledge and stoops beside Eunwoo. He takes out one of the earpiece and puts it into his ears. “Good song choice, what’s the name of the group?”

 

 

“Its Astro, and don’t take my earpiece out without asking,” Eunwoo says with a slightly annoyed tone, even though he didn’t actually mind.

 

 

“Its nice,” Moonbin lifts Eunwoo up from a lying down position, and Eunwoo tries to resist, wanting to lie down instead of sitting upright, especially after he has just sat through four hours of boring lecture. Moonbin props Eunwoo up and lies down on the ground with his wings spread out. He then gently pulls Eunwoo back down, letting Eunwoo lie on his feathery soft wings.

 

 

“Wha–” Eunwoo’s slightly stunned by the sudden action, heart feeling warm and fuzzy because of Moonbin’s actions.

 

 

“The ground is dirty, you shouldn’t lie on it like that.” Moonbin notes, putting his hands behind his head and stares at the sky.

 

 

“I’m used to it. Won’t your feathers get dirty too?”

 

 

“Nah, our wing feathers repel dust, which helps us fly faster too.” Moonbin smiles, looking up at nothing. “Why do you lie here anyway? There’s nothing to see in the sky, just clouds…”

 

 

“Thanks,” Eunwoo says in a whisper, wondering when he has felt so soft and warm before. But nevermind that, he cannot let himself get caught in all the lovey dovey business. “That’s the point, to see nothing. I feel at ease when I do not have to be constantly thinking of something.”

 

 

Moonbin nods slightly, trying to enjoy the sight of the blue sky where he just came down from.

 

 

Moonbin closes his eyes slightly, feeling the wind caress his cheeks. Nevermind that he has to finish his work here within a month or he will get fired. It just feels so peaceful not needing to think of his job for a moment, to truly enjoy the moment. Slowly, Moonbin drifts into sleep, mind empty but free.

 

 

When he wakes up, the place is empty, Eunwoo has left and the cloud are slightly tainted with coral pink and orange. He sits upright, only to see a note in his hand.

 

 

[Moonbin: Stop following me around, I’m not falling in love anytime soon, please give up on me. From: Eunwoo]

 

 

“Looks like I overslept again.” He mumbles, hiding the disappointment in his heart and putting a smile on his face. He’s saddened that Eunwoo finds his presence annoying, but he pushes those feelings away, because he is determined to find Eunwoo’s first love for him. “Another day then!”

 


 

The next day, Moonbin didn’t appear at lunch, and Eunwoo thanks the heavens for the much-desired quiet lunch break. Perhaps the note he left with Moonbin did have an effect, because the cupid was no where to be found. It’s not so much that Eunwoo did not like Moonbin, but he just didn’t want to deal with romance and love. It gets annoying when everyone ask about your love life, he already receives enough unwanted attention in school and when he meets with his very busy familiy (Who seems extremely keen on digging out stories about a love life that he does not have.) Eunwoo is initially flattered, but it got annoying after a while.

 

 

All Eunwoo wants to do, is to become a writer, travel the world and write stories of them. Maybe he can become a musician too, given his ability to play the piano, violin and flute, he knows he can find a way to achieve his dreams. He doesn’t see a point in romance, which he concludes, will only bring ache and tears.

 

 

He remembers his friend from middle school pouring out tears from a painful rejection, he remembers how his friend gave up his will to live when the girl said horrible things to their faces, he remembers how his friend was gone forever, and he thinks to himself, what’s so good about being in love?

 

 

He shoves those thoughts aside, packing up his bag as he observes the needle in the round clock slowly inch to the number 12. As the bell rings and the students get up to greet the teacher, he does so quickly and disappears out of the campus. Plugging his earpiece in, the song ‘Confession’ filled his ears as he walks down the streets. Astro never fails to make his day better, he agrees with a nod with a smile decorating his face.

 

 

As he nears his apartment, he starts rummaging through his bag for house keys. Stopping in his tracks at the door, he looks up to unlock it, only to be faced with Moonbin standing there with hands in his pockets, without wings but with a smirk on his face. Initially, he stepped back in shock, only to feel irritation stiring in his chest next as he moved closer to the door.

 

 

“What do you want, gosh, you’re not giving up aren’t you?” Eunwoo says, though immediately regretting the annoyed tone in his voice. Well, he was annoyed, but it wasn’t very nice of him to keep doing this someone who just wants to help.

 

 

“Of course not!” Moonbin beamed, stepping aside to allow Eunwoo to open the door.

 

 

“I don’t see why you hate the concept of love so much. It’s really great! When you meet the right person, it’s like there’s rainbows everywhere and you’ll be really happy!” Moonbin tries his hardest to convince the boy who was only half paying attention to his words.

 

 

“Yea right,” Eunwoo replied, “I’m gonna take my well-deserved break now, so goodbye and don’t follow me!”

 

 

With that, the door closed onto Moonbin. It wasn’t a loud slam, but definitely a rejection that would’ve left the cupid dispirited. But it’s Moonbin, the biggest kid of all who believes everyone can be changed.

 

 

Eunwoo, on the other hand, is just exhausted from seeing Moonbin. Maybe exhausted because his heart won’t stop leaping. But he will never consider that as anything more than a biological problem he has from not having enough social interactions. He drops his bag by the door as he always do, switches on the aircondition and changes his shirt. He takes out his laptop, pondering on whether he should do research for his paper or if he should watch a movie online.

 

 

Despite Eunwoo being usually studious and picking the choice of researching for his papers, he was not in the mood. Browsing through the movie catalogue, he finally picks one, a crime and mystery movie that he would appreciate for its suspense. He downloads the film, getting up from his position and walks lazily into the kitchen to make himself a smoothie. Smoothies are great, but even better in the summer where the sun is out and burn holes through your skin. He prepares the drink, sipping on it as Astro’s music came into his mind. (Speaking of refreshing­) Eunwoo is actually anticipating a good movie and snack, his lips pulling into a smile as he walks into the living, only to come face to face with none other than–

 

 

“Gosh! You could’ve gave me a heart attack!” Eunwoo shrieked, almost dropping his precious smoothie. “You need to stop scaring me like that!”

 

 

“Well, habits, I’m usually not visible to people anyways. Looks like you enjoy crime and mystery genre?” Moonbin casually remarks.

 

 

“Yea, its fun to watch. How did you get in anyway? Didn’t I say not to follow me?” Eunwoo sets his smoothie down on the table, his voice is resigned and tired.

 

 

“Bedroom window. You left it open, as always. Yea, you said not to follow and I said I am not giving up.” Moonbin smirks, scrolling through the comments on the website. “People say that the plot twist is really boring and expected. It doesn’t sound like a good movie. Let’s watch some romantic comedy! Maybe that will inspire you to find love!” Moonbin suggests, his eyes hopeful.

 

 

“No, no, gosh, who said WE are gonna watch a movie? I am going to watch my movie and you are going to find someone else to bother, because for the last time, I am not interested!” Making a mental note to close his bedroom window next time, he plops himself down and squeezes Moonbin out of his seat. “The door is there, I’m not walking you out. Help yourself.”

 

 

“How about no?” Moonbin childishly pulls out another chair and sets himself in front of Eunwoo, staring intently at those beautiful eyes of said boy. Beautiful? Well, Eunwoo did have a pair of gorgeous eyes…

 

 

“How about yes.” Eunwoo lazily stares back. “Don’t make me shove you out of the door.” He pointed in the general direction of the door.

 

 

Moonbin gets up from his seat, walking in the direction Eunwoo pointed at, though stopping short of the door. He pretends to yawn and stretch, changing course and lies down on Eunwoo’s couch. “I’ll be staying here till you decided to fall in love then,” he says, closing his eyes and slowly drifting into slumber. Well, he has been busy despite what Eunwoo would think, afterall he had spent his day finding out Eunwoo’s preferences and likes and dislikes only to conclude, this mission of his is close to impossible. So he sleeps, because sleep is great.

 

 

Eunwoo hears the soft snores of the cupid on the couch, deciding to just ignore him. They say when you ignore something, it will go away. He plucks in his earpiece, watching his movie while drinking his smoothie. Eunwoo may sound cold and mean, but he’s secretly considerate and feels slightly sorry that he keeps pushing the boy away. He just doesn’t want to feel anything, losing his best friend early broke him, from then on he decided to shove all his feelings under his bed, its better this way anyways.

 

 

After about half an hour, Eunwoo had finished the entire cup of smoothie. The movie is as boring as it can possibly get. Before the case is thoroughly investigated, Eunwoo has already figured most of the solution already. He decides to get some chips from the kitchen to fill the space of the smoothie.

 

 

Heading to the kitchen, he sees Moonbin curled in his sleep. Somehow, his legs decided (without consulting him) to bring him to his bedroom to retrieve a warm blanket, placing the cloth over the sleeping boy. What even… Eunwoo decides to ignore what his stupid heart just made him, shuffling as he walked to the kitchen and back, with a bowl of chips in his hands.

 

 

As he munched on the chips, he tossed aside all thoughts and focused on the boring movie. Instead of watching the plot, he began to notice other details, like the soundtrack, placement of things in the room, until the movie had ended, just as he would have expected. Glancing at the time displayed on his laptop screen, he realised that it was 6 in the evening and the sky was starting to be painted with a darker hue. Time for dinner, his stomach told him. He trudges to the kitchen, aching from sitting in a terrible position just now out of boredom.

 

 

He takes out ramen, pausing to decide whether to make extra portion for the univited guest sleeping on the couch. Eunwoo’s a nice guy, and he agrees with his brain that he should make some ramen for Moonbin. Besides, Moonbin probably hasn’t eaten all day either.

 

 

It isn’t long before the scent of kimchi ramen wafted out of the kitchen, stiring awake the cupid, who was struggling to open his eyes.

 

 

He sits up, pushing aside the blanket that was previously not there as he remembered. Trying to wake his mind, he shakes himself a little, scratching at his arm slightly. As he steadies himself and attempts to look for where the smell is coming from, he sees Eunwoo carying two bowls of ramen from the kitchen and setting it at the coffee table by the couch.

 

 

“You eat two portions?” He asked, still half-asleep apparently.

 

 

“No… its for you?” Eunwoo hesistantly replies, worried that it might not suit Moonbin’s taste. Then again, Moonbin shouldn’t get to complain since he still an UNINVITED GUEST. Yet, Eunwoo still looks at Moonbin who is staring at the food.

 

 

“Cupids don’t eat,” Moonbin explained, obviously dishearted. Truth is, the ramen looks so delicious, he really wanted to try some of it. “Thanks for the offer though, its really sweet.”

 

 

Eunwoo shrugs, pulling the bowl slightly closer towards him. “Sure you don’t want a bite?” He offers, only to see Moonbin smile sadly, pushing the bowl towards Eunwoo. “Well, that means more for me I guess.”

 

 

Moonbin watches Eunwoo eat the ramen, obviously enjoying the sight of said boy slurping his noodles and drinking soup each time. It’s adorable really, because Eunwoo has a habit when eating. Moonbin has been watching Eunwwo so much, he has realised that Eunwoo likes to his lips each time he swallows something, as if to get rid of any sauce or oil lingering on his lips.

 

 

“So what do you want in you future partner?” Moonbin asks curiously. He is very curious, in fact, because he has tried to get Eunwoo all sorts of partners. Sporty kind, Artsy kind, intelligent ones, beautiful ones, cute ones, y ones… From boys to girls, he really tried everyone… With one last chance at finding Eunwoo’s future first-love, he really wants to get it right.

 

 

Eunwoo, on the other hand, almost chokes on the noodles that he was slurping on. He wipes his mouth clean, his lips as usual. “What? Nothing, I mean, I don’t look at people so I have no idea…”

 

 

Moonbin eyes him suspiciously, nodding to himself for a while and glances at Eunwoo, who was struggling with the second bowl of noodles.

 

 

“Do you like cute girls?”

 

 

“No.”

 

 

“Cute boys?”

 

 

“No.”

 

 

“Bad boys and girls?”

 

 

“Stop it. I said no.”

 

 

“Good boys and girls?”

 

 

“Moonbin!”

 

 

“If you don’t like the good ones and the bad ones, then what do you like? Why are you so difficult! God save me,” Moonbin exasperatedly pleads to no one in particular.

 

 

“Can we not talk about this?” Eunwoo says, putting another mouthful of ramen in his mouth, chewing on it as if his life depended on it. Really, he just zoned out, like he always do when he is unsure of what to think. So he just focused on chewing.

 

 

“Then let’s talk about what you like to do!” Moonbin chirps, not giving up on his goals and trying to find other ways of prying information from Eunwoo.

 

 

“I like being alone.” Eunwoo absentmindedly replies.

 

 

“That’s not fun…”

 

 

“It is. You don’t have to deal with a lot of things, things like social interactions are complicated and tiring.” Eunwoo explains, slightly more comfortable with this topic which is a little further from his love life, as Moonbin calls it, the boring machine’s nonexistent desire for affection.

 

 

“Don’t you have school friends? Best friends?” Moonbin asks without intentions. He cannot imagine what it’s like without friends, so to him Eunwoo is like a puzzle that he cannot piece together.

 

 

“Used to have, but not anymore. Like I said, relationships are –”

 

 

“I’m your friend!” Moonbin protests, voice slightly louder but not fierce.

 

 

“Whatever helps you sleep at night,” Eunwoo smiles slightly, the warm feeling of friendship seems to swirl in his stomach, something he has not felt for years, though he quickly subdues it and keeps a cold expression on his face.

 

 

“Anyways, don’t you have to go home? Its late now. Where do cupids even live?” Eunwoo asks, genuinely eager to find out. The idea of cupids existing parallel to the human world seems so far-fetched but so real at the same time, and Eunwoo just feel compelled to believe in it.

 

 

“Up there,” Moonbin points at the ceiling, something they both understood as the sky. “It’s the headquarters.”

 

 

“I’m gonna wash the dishes now, you should head back. It’s getting late,” Eunwoo chides, receiving an approving nod from the cupid. “And stop following me around please.”

 

 

Moonbin looks up to the skies, now darkened and silent. “I’m going back now, but I’m not giving up! I still have 28 days to succeed!” Moonbin smiles with determination burning in his eyes. He sees Eunwoo shake his head, waving slightly as if acknowledging that Moonbin will be leaving. Moonbin returns the wave, taking off into the night sky are leaping through the living room windows.

 

 

Eunwoo’s apartment is finally silent. Silent in a sense, it feels strangely empty. He washes up and cleans the tables, before going to wash up. He thinks about Moonbin’s mission of matchmaking him with someone, only to just shake his head at the mess Moonbin has made him into. When there’e no one around, Eunwoo admits, his heart is just a bit messier than it should be.

 

 

And it is all Moonbin’s fault.