Chpt 3/?: Friendship

Why won't you fall in love?

A/N: HIIIIII THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO SUBSCRIBED AND COMMENTED!!! I really appreciate so much, it makes me happy that people read this fic though I know its not good material nor penmanship. I am in the middle of exams and i write to take my my mind off things, but I might not be able to update as quickly as I have been, hope you all will be understanding:)) But I will try my best! Here's a slightly sweeter chapter, but prepare for slight angst in the next chapter! (not because of Binwoo don't worry~) Have not read through this chapter for errors yet, will do so once my paper is over! Word Count:3172 


 

No days are normal now. Eunwoo won’t think it is, because every time he feels finally at ease, Moonbin will appear. Its almost as if he was jinxed. Except Moonbin hadn’t been around for two days and Eunwoo does not want to celebrate too early. He’s slightly late for his lunch, which he blames the chemistry teacher. Mr. Jang had asked if he wanted to represent the school in a nationwide chemistry olympiad quiz. Eunwoo didn’t mind, giving a smile nod and wave of hand as he left for lunch. The teacher will send him an email containing details anyway, so he did not need to ask more.

 

 

He skips steps as he made his way to the rooftop. The weather was fine that day, not too hot, a little windy just as he liked it. He pushes open the rooftop door with his sandwich in the other hand, expecting to see an empty place as usual.

 

 

Well, what did Eunwoo expect? There’s no more ‘normal’ days. Not when Moonbin is standing in the middle of his sacred heaven, with a dubious looking bag in hand. “Sup!” the cheery voice called out to him.

 

 

Eunwoo groans, rather quickly turning around, closing the rooftop door behind him and walks down the stairs away from where Moonbin is at.

 

 

Just two steps down and the door flings open as sunlight suddenly floods the stairway. “Stop closing the door on me! You’re late for lunch! Was there a girl or a guy that made you stay in class for so long?” The cupid teases, grinning slightly, tone slightly raised from excitement.

 

 

Eunwoo continues walking down the stairs, pretending that he heard nothing and seen nothing. Well that is until he felt a hand tugging at his own which was previously tucked firmly in his pants pocket. “I made lunch, stop ignoring me!”

 

 

The boy in question sighs, knowing he’s gonna regret it. He turns around swiftly to see Moonbin smiling like an idiot. Moonbin then took his hand, dragging him up to the rooftop like a parent dragging a depressed kid out of the toy store after telling them they won’t get to buy anything. Eunwoo followed, bracing himself for more questions when they get up.

 

 

“I thought you don’t eat. How do you even know how food taste?” Eunwoo asks, sitting down on the grounds resigned.

 

 

“Wait! Don’t sit yet.” Moonbin pulls him up, setting down a piece of cloth that is super soft and then letting Eunwoo sit.

 

 

“I’ve been spending the last two days watching youtube, gotta say they’re really informative and good,” Moonbin carefully takes out the lunch box he packed. It was all part of his plan, bribing Eunwoo with food and then making him spill everything to help him find the perfect match.

 

 

“Doesn’t mean that this food is safe, what if you are trying to poison me so that you can move on to another person!” Eunwoo says, exaggerating his expression.

 

 

“I’ve given some of it to a friend I know, she said it was good, so I know it is.” Moonbin challenges, slightly insulted that Eunwoo would think of him like that.

 

 

“You have friends other than me? Then why are you always hanging around me? Go hang around her!” Eunwoo says, hiding the slightly (jealous) dissatisfaction in his voice.

 

 

“Nah, she’s got someone to hang around. Besides, I like following you around,” Moonbin replies without missing a beat, eyes tracing Eunwoo’s hand as the boy opened the lunch box and eyed it suspiciously.

 

 

“Well, don’t get used to it.” Eunwoo pauses for a while, examining the lunchbox and poking around the veggies. “Is she a human then? Why is she able to eat and you can’t?” Eunwoo continues, glad that the topic has been drawn away from his private affairs.

 

 

“She’s half-human, half-cupid. So she can eat, and when she was 18, she decided to leave the cupid world behind and became a human. She gets a choice. I don’t. When you become human, you will forget everything about the cupid world, instead, you will be given new memories of being human. You can only even make this decision if the elder allows you to.” Moonbin explains in detail, “She is allowed to keep her memories because reasons. Elder would never tell us things like that.”

 

 

“I see,” Eunwoo acknowledged, taking a spoonful of the meal and carefully chewing it as if it’s the last meal he is having. Because it could very well be his last if there’s some poison inside.

 

 

“Wait… Who’s the elder?”

 

 

“They say he is the father of all cupids, but we don’t really know.” Moonbin replies, honestly he wasn’t very sure. He grew up together with other cupids in a home where older cupids took care of them. The concept of parenthood was never really explained to them, nor their origins and a lot of other things they deemed irrelevant.

 

 

“Father? So he made you all?” Eunwoo was curious, interested at this mystical world.

 

 

“Proabably? That’s what they tell us though. There’s a rumour that he only has one son who left the cupid world. And that we are just created by him artificially using his powers.” Moonbin concluded, tone unsure and eyes never leaving Eunwoo’s hand as he watched the boy eat the meal he cooked.

 

 

“Mmm, by the way, this doesn’t taste bad at all.” Eunwoo smiles a little, “Thanks for it.”

 

 

“No problem, told you I wouldn’t poison you!” Moonbin gently punched Eunwoo in the shoulders in a friendly manner. “Oh, and I am curious about things. What do you like to do when you are alone?”

 

 

“Listening to Astro, writing stories?”

 

 

“As in other than listening to music and writing and movies, like don’t you have other hobbies?” Moonbin pressed on.

 

 

“I like playing piano, violin, flute and I’m attempting to learn the guitar,” Eunwoo elaborates, emphasising the word ‘attempting’, because really, he’s somewhat terrible at it.

 

 

“Favourite food?”

 

 

“Spicy Rice Cake, Kimchi Stew, Black bean noodles, though I really eat anything that I can find, because all food is good food.”

 

 

And then they spent the lunch break talking about random things, even spending minutes discussing Astro, which Moonbin had come to like because he hears Eunwoo humming it and he went to research a little more on the group. While it seems random to Eunwoo, Moonbin’s mentally noting down everything he has said, keeping those in mind for references when he uses his last chance to find the perfect partner for the boy.

 

 

The lunch break had ended earlier than both of them had expected, the bell ringing once to symbolise a 5 minutes to the end of break.

 

 

“By the way, the cloth you put on the floor is really soft, thanks for it.” Eunwoo smiles, which reminded Moonbin of an angel. Eunwoo seems less annoyed by Moonbin’s presence and the cupid pats himself on the shoulder for the improvement made. At least Eunwoo is not ending every sentence with ‘No’ or ‘Stop following me’, or ‘leave me alone’, which is really nice to Moonbin, because Eunwoo is sweet when he smiles.

 

 

“The cloth is made with cupid wing feathers, so it dispels dust.” He explains, “We shed feathers often and those feathers are perfectly usable, so we make them into clothes and cloth sometimes.”

 

 

“I see, anyway I have to go. So bye,” Eunwoo says, tone cold as always to hide his slight sadness. “Thanks for the meal.”

 

 

“Can I join you at lunch again tomorrow?” Moonbin ask, his voice hopeful and his hands nervously rubbing together. He’s never usually so shy, preferring to keep a confident and determined image instead, but somehow, Eunwoo’s a different case all together.

 

 

“No. Don’t follow me.”

 

 

“And I’m not going to listen. Byeee” The voice trailed off as he seems Moonbin leaning backwards off the edge of the rooftop. He panics, rushing over to the ledge because the scene was extremely familiar to him and he would almost suffer a heartattack from Moonbin’s actions. (Again) He sees the boy plunging down falling headfirst to the grounds and he almost calls out ‘Moonbin’ but his voice is stuck in his throat. However, he see Moonbin open his eyes midway and winking as if it’s a tease. The cupid turns midair and his white feathery wings open grandly and he catches the air and flies upward towards the sky.

 

 

Eunbin finally breathes, walking towards the rooftop door still slightly stunned. That sight reminded him of unpleasant memories and it just made him rush to class, urgently want to push out all those thoughts.

 

 

Just like that, the rest of the day progressed peacefully.

 

 

Every day after that, Moonbin would be at the rooftop, waiting for him with lunch he has made. At first, he would always turn away, but eventually he got used to it. He would always sit down and they would chat about the most random things ever, from favourite punchlines to favourite body parts. Their conversations were nonsensical most of the time, but Eunwoo started appreciating Moonbin’s company.

 

 

Maybe, it was alright to have a friend, just maybe.

 

 

Until about two weeks later, Moonbin did not come for lunch, and Eunwoo finds the empty rooftop slightly cold despite the hot summer sun still hanging high up in the skies. But he decided to ignore those feelings, closing his eyes for an afternoon nap instead because he had forgotten to bring lunch since Moonbin made him food every day. Eunwoo realised he had started to take Moonbin for granted, which was a scary feeling for him. To rely on someone, it’s a weird situation to Eunwoo.

 

 

But if Moonbin was not coming back anymore, Eunwoo convinces himself, that nothing would have changed. It doesn’t matter anyways, relationships are just sappy and pointless. Yet, his heart ached alittle when he thinks about it being ‘pointless’, which was something he would have agreed strongly with two weeks ago.

 

 

 

Eunwoo walks home while reading an ebook that day, mind still drifting back to his questions on why the cupid did not come for lunch. Besides the fact that he’s really hungry, he just felt oddly empty being left alone. He played the music in his earphones just a node louder, hoping to drown out all those complex feelings, because life should be simple. And he isn’t going to start making it complicated at just 20 years old.

 

 

He slowly unlocks his door, placing his shoes neatly on the rack as he always did. But there’s something different. A scent. A really sweet aroma filled Eunwoo’s nose and made his stomach protest like a dying bear. It smelt likes kimchi stew, coming from his house. He enters, seeing a head popped out of the kitchen as well as small amounts of steam coming from behind the head. Slightly jerking back in shock, but not really because he’s used to Moonbin’ sudden appearances, he restrained an urge to scream at the cupid.

 

 

“Missed me? I was sort of busy just now so I thought I’d make you lunch at your place instead.” That forever-chirpy voice came as expected.

 

 

“Not really.” Eunwoo lied, but he thinks he probably didn’t miss Moonbin, just felt weird he wasn’t there.

 

 

“Aww, but I missed you.” Moonbin’s face was decorated with a sad pout, lips jutting out. “I remembered you said you like Kimchi stew, so I got Hara to teach me. She is really good at it, at least that’s what she says.”

 

 

“Well, it smells alright,” Eunwoo replies, emphasising the word ‘alright’. “Was my bedroom window open again?”

 

 

“Ummm,” was all Moonbin said before turning around and retreating into the kitchen, perfecting his dish and prepared a huge serving for Eunwoo. He made sure that the bowl of rice accompanying it was soft and fluffy too. When he finished making sure that the dish looks heavenly, he placed it carefully on the dining table. Beckoning Eunwoo over with a gesture of his hands, he sees Eunwoo walk over to the table without a shirt on.

 

 

“Are you not going to wear a shirt? In case you didn’t notice, I am here.”

 

 

“It’s my house, its hot today and I’m literally drowning in my own sweat, so no, I am just gonna stay like this.” Eunwoo says, voice dismissive to hide the fact that his heart’s beating suddenly a little faster. (He’s blushing on the inside) True, there’s Moonbin in the room, but he figured that the cupid has already seen him half- before, so it is fine. He notices Moonbin’s face slightly pink, before rushing to Eunwoo’s bedroom and coming back with one of his shirts.

 

 

“You will catch a cold if you stay in an airconditioned room as you are now.” Moonbin hands him the shirt with both hands, head looking down as if avoiding eye contact with Eunwoo. Little did Eunwoo know, Moonbin’s just trying to hide his flushed cheeks, because for a moment, he thinks to himself, Eunwoo’s like an angel, with those chiselled abs and ethereal skin. He looks stunning and perfect.

 

 

Eunwoo snorts slightly, putting on his shirt only to watch the shirt stick onto him, clinging on like a koala. He shuffles to the dining table where he sees the stew. For someone who has not eaten lunch, it looked so amazing he would’ve just dug in immediately lest saliva drips out of his mouth. But of course, he had manners and he is aware of Moonbin staring at him while sitting in the chair opposite where he is supposed to sit.

 

 

“Looks good.” Eunwoo complimented, something he realised he has not done for a while, especially not to Moonbin.

 

 

“Are you waiting for me to feed you?” Moonbin asks, smiling excitedly in anticipation of finding out what Eunwoo thinks of the lunch he has prepared.

 

 

“I can eat on my own. But thanks for it,” He politely smiles, “Thanks Bin.”

 

 

Moonbin sees the dark-haired boy begin digging into the meal, enjoying every bite and he felt his heart flutter a little. Afterall, Eunwoo has dropped his surname, meaning that Eunwoo has finally acknowledged him as a friend. It had meant a lot to him.

 

 

They talked all about Eunwoo’s day at school, though not without Moonbin asking that question that would’ve sent Eunwoo up the wall. “So, anyone in mind?”

 

 

“No, well, not really.” Eunwoo replies, concentrating on the amazing stew that really satisfied his taste. His stomach was also approving of it, because he couldn’t get enough of the dish and realised that he must have swallowed everything without chewing, a habit his old friend would definitely had nagged at him about.

 

 

“Geez, I get the dish is nice, but don’t swallow without chewing, you’re going to get indigestion.” There and then, Eunwoo stopped for a few seconds, before continuing with his meal.

 

 

“You are really naggy.” He commented, rolling his eyes jokingly.

 

 

And then, the question about his love life was not asked for the rest of the day and the two boys spent the afternoon watching a horror movie Eunwoo suggested. “Could you help me with this Binnie?” Eunwoo called from the kitchen and he sees Moonbin walk over slowly, not feeling any urgency even though Eunwoo was on the verge of dropping the bowl of popcorn he had prepared. It was a terrible decision, trying to carry two cups of soda and a huge bowl of popcorn in one trip, but Eunwoo was lazy, only realising halfway through the journey from the kitchen to the couch.

 

 

The whole evening was spent like that, both of them screaming at times from the jump scares and munching loudly on the popcorn while attempting to drown out the scary music in the background.

 

 

“So we’re friends now?” Moonbin says at the door before leaving. Eunwoo nods, acknowledging his own amazement of how he could open up to having a friend after that incident.

 

 

“So see you at lunch?” Moonbin continues, stepping out of the apartment.

 

 

“Sure,” Eunwoo shrugs, for once not telling Moonbin to give up and it feels strange, but really good.

 

 

The cupid waves goodbye before taking off into the skies. Only then could Eunwoo creep back into his apartment and lie on the couch. He’s conflicted. He is starting to enjoy his friendship with the brown-haired boy, but he knows Moonbin would be leaving in about two weeks time. Moonbin is here only because of work, he convinces himself, but it does not stop him from feeling sad about Moonbin’s eventual departure, maybe from his life, for good, just like –

 

 

Eunwoo sighs, spending the rest of the evening convincing himself to not get too attached and then forcefully shifting his attention back to his assignments which was due soon as well.

 

 

Meanwhile, Moonbin is just as conflicted. The poor winged boy realised that he has started taken a liking to Eunwoo. More than a liking, he concludes it might be a little more than that. He has noticed his face heating up slightly when their eyes meet, which is something that has never happened before. Moonbin is more than worried, because if this spells the start of falling love, it means he will be in deep trouble.

 

 

Because Cupids don’t get to fall in love as humans do. It is just not natural, at least that’s what the teachers used to tell them when their younger self asked about what it feels like to be in a romantic relationship.

 

 

And he has to finish the job and leave in 2 weeks. Meaning he may never see Eunwoo again, unless he is sent to check up on the boy. But that still meant that it will hurt, if he likes Eunwoo more than he should, he will just hurt on his own because Eunwoo obviously will never like him in the same way. And they will never be together, because Cupids are not supposed to fall in love. Cupids don’t mix with humans. They are not supposed to. Cupids help people fall in love, not fall for people. (But his lips are pulled into a small smile, because he thinks, Eunwoo’s not human, he’s an angel and the prettiest angel ever to exist.)

 

 

Moonbin thinks to himself, and he notices a tear dripping from his eyes unconsciously. He is starting to understand why Eunwoo thinks falling in love will only end with more pain. He closes his hands and balled his fist in an act of determination. Moonbin repeats and repeats, that he is only there to find Eunwoo a perfect first love.

 

 

But his heart aches when he thinks about sending the boy he obviously loves into the arms of someone else.

 

 

Moonbin wipes his tears, his eyes cold and raw from the cold wind blowing against him as he flies back to headquarters. He tells himself, that if he loves Eunwoo, he will make sure that Eunwoo is with the person he likes, and that the person is deserving of the angel that Eunwoo is.