Chpt 4/?: I will catch you if you fall

Why won't you fall in love?

A/N: Sorry for the long waitttt *bows*, I am in the middle of preparation for a major national exam that is super important so I didn't have alot of time to write:( BUT ASTRO IS COMING BACK TODAY AND I AM SHOOK.) So here's a small chapter that actually means alot to me, like I feel like its an important point in Binwoo's relationship. Anyways let me know what you all think!:) Word Count: 3526 words

 

Moonbin starts coming for lunch again, and when he has other plans, he made sure to tell Eunwoo a day before, leaving on Eunwoo’s table lunchboxes of food he had prepared. Hara was a great teacher and Moonbin is a quick learner. He is happy when he is with his friends, and even happier knowing that he’s making food that Eunwoo will like.

 

 

They sat together at the rooftop once again, now a week before Moonbin’s deadline. Yet, Moonbin remained cheery, hiding his feelings and just being very chatty as usual. The two boys have gotten a little closer, and Eunwoo had asked Moonbin so many question about cupids so much that Moonbin is losing his mind. Moonbin learns that Eunwoo is a naturally curious person, despite his dismissive attitude towards the younger boy at the start.

 

 

After a sandstorm of questions have buried him and he had managed to dig himself out of it, he decided to ask a slightly more personal question. It had been something he was genuinely curious about, since he sensed that Eunwoo tended to avoid that topic alltogether.

 

 

He wait for a while before asking, his mind wandering a little and palms sweating. It’s a sensitive topic and now that he and Eunwoo got closer, Moonbin really did not want to say the wrong things and destroy the friendship that they had built. Even if it was not fated to last anyway. After moments of trying to find the right words, he decided to just go with his feelings. “So you were saying you used to have a friend. If you don’t mind sharing, what happened between you guys? I mean I know its not my business to find out, and its okay if–”

 

 

“His name is Taehyun. He’s not in this world anymore though.” Eunwoo cut him off, looking down at the ground slightly, his fringe blocking his eyes as he lowered his head. Despite that, Moonbin could see his face darkened as if there’s a storm brewing within the said boy. He immediately regreted making Eunwoo relive those painful memories. “He decided he could not take it anymore, and he gave up. Just as I almost did.” The dark-haired boy looked up to the skies, as if trying to see through the clouds and glimpsing at heaven, where he always imagined his friend would be, looking down and smiling at him as they did a few years back.

 

 

Moonbin suddenly felt compelled to hug the younger boy, his body involuntarily shifting closer to Eunwoo and his hands naturally wrapped around the slim waist that had trembled slightly. “I’m glad you did not give up Dongmin.” Moonbin’s voice was serious, his voice quiet but his eyes were stern. Usually he wouldn’t have called Eunwoo but his real name, but it felt important to do so. Afterall, it was what Eunwoo was called until he buried his memories deep inside his heart. Moonbin remembered his basic research about the boy, including when he changed his name. It had matched the year that Eunwoo said he decided that being alone was better. Well, safer at least.

 

 

“I watched him cry. I watched him die. I was there, but I couldn’t join him in the end.” Eunwoo’s eyes started watering, pearls of tears threatening to spill out of them. Moonbin didn’t speak, letting his friend collect his feelings and calm himself. Yet, he never let go of Eunwoo, not that Eunwoo minded. Occasionally, he would whisper in the boy’s ears ‘Its alright Minnie’, but mostly he would just pat Eunwoo on the back slightly, rubbing it carefully as he waits for Eunwoo to elaborate.

 

 

“He was my best friend since we were toddlers. We went to the same kindergarten, same elementary and middle school. We swore never to leave each other, but I guess promises don’t always last.” Eunwoo holds Moonbin’s hand tightly, as if he was gathering strength from the cupid. “A girl came, she took his heart and broke every last piece of it. I remember all the nasty things she said to him and I almost wanted to beat the hell out of her but he stopped me.”

 

 

Eunwoo laughs at himself slightly, letting the beads of salty liquid drip down eye lashes and roll down his cheeks. Moonbin hurriedly took out a cloth made of the purest cupid feathers he had saved to give Eunwoo before leaving on the last day. Carefully, he wiped those precious tears off the said boys eyes.

 

 

“He told me how much he loved her, yet all I could think of was how much I loved him. I’m so selfish, I know I am.” Eunwoo’s breath hicks as he laughs slightly at himself. The wounds of his heart reopened, he felt every cell in his body burning and destroying his insides. “He said he was hurting. And then when it was too much for him to bear, he hugged me, told me he wished he never loved her and then he fell. He leaned back from the rooftop of our middle school, and he fell, fell while closing his eyes to everything, everyone including me.” Eunwoo managed to keep his voice from quivering. Maybe it was the fact that Moonbin’s arms were warm and steady. Steady and secure and protecting the fragile shaking him within.

 

 

Eunwoo kept a smile on his face even though it was so painful to even think about what happened that day. Eunwoo kept looking up at the skies even though Moonbin’s eyes were fixated on the other boy. He knows Eunwoo is smiling only as a reflex to try to stay strong, to keep himself together, not allowing himself to fall apart even for a second.

 

 

“I was so shocked I could not move. Its all my fault, I did not hold him and stop him fast enough, when I rushed to the ledge, I had heard the thud. It was too late,” Eunwoo’s face remained calm, although Moonbin could clearly see the slightly tremors in his body, his eyes still wet and his hands sweating but cold. “I wanted to join him, but I was not brave enough. Its my fault he’s not here anymore, and I can never forgive myself for letting him go.”

 

 

Moonbin pulled Eunwoo into his hug, using one of his hands to getting push Eunwoo’s head onto his shoulders. Gently, he rubbed the boy’s back, only to feel Eunwoo’s defences crumbling down as the watergates broke open. It hurts to see this boy he has come to love in so much pain, and he was unsure if talking about it will truly help Eunwoo. If it had done nothing but bring him more pain, Moonbin would never forgive himself too.

 

 

Eunwoo’s hands had fisted Moonbin’s shirt, gripping rather hard and he allowed himself to come undone after holding it together for so long. The tears soaked into Moonbin’s shirt as if the rain was falling on him, but the tears were warm, warm and painful for Moonbin to feel. Eunwoo rarely cried, he simply had not allowed himself to. But it felt so right, that Moonbin’s holding his broken pieces together in the hug. He hears Moonbin’s voice, sweet and gentle in a small whisper. And even though he could not process all of what Moonbin had said, it was so soothing, like healing cream over the wounds of his heart that he had covered up with bandages while knowing it kept bleeding out.

 

 

“Its not you fault Minnie, you are so brave, so much braver than you know. To go through all of that, you’re the strongest person I have ever known.” Moonbin’s heart is bleeding for Eunwoo, because life isn’t fair to put him through all of that, at such a young age, to witness to death of someone you loved. Maybe he cannot never comprehend how that feels like, but he wished Eunwoo never needed to feel that way. “It’s never your fault.”

 

 

“Binnie, I loved him. But I never got a chance to tell him that.” Eunwoo’s voice was cracked, with saliva and tears choking him and he struggled to finally spill his feelings out. Moonbin’s eyes were understanding, as he nodded slightly. I don’t know if I will be able to tell you I love you Minnie. Will you forgive me if I do? Maybe it is better I don’t.

 

 

“I know,” Moonbin’s cupid wings emerged from his back and unfolded to its full size. The wings slowly enclosed Eunwoo, as if an extra pair of arms were hugging him. Under the radiant sunlight, Moonbin’s wings were white like snow, with a pure glow emiting from it. Within the embrace of Moonbin and his wings, Eunwoo felt warm from inside out, as if a fire had rekindled inside him and the flames were spreading throughout him. He held onto Moonbin equally tight, afraid that when the pillar he has grown to rely on leaves, he will be left in the cold embrace of loneliness.

 

 

“I believe he knows Minnie, and I am sure he is at a happy place too. You need to be happy too.” Moonbin softly said, “He will want you to be happy, and I want so too.”

 

 

Eunwoo’s muffled cries started softening, his sobs reduced to small whimpers. His voice remained raw and pained, but he managed to say in a low tone, “Thanks Binnie.”

 

 

“I’m sorry you have to be here and listen to this, you can leave me be,” Eunwoo murmured, voice apologetic but it made Moonbin’s heart clench. “Ahhh, so embarrassing,” Eunwoo’s voice came in a whisper that didn’t go unheard by the cupid. All Moonbin could think of, was how much love this boy should have gotten, comfort and understanding. Yet Eunwoo had to endure everything alone, afraid of his own feelings and wearing a cold mask every day.

 

 

“Don’t be sorry, I will stay here with you. You can let it all out, if you fall, I promise to be there to catch you.” Moonbin firmly said without thinking of any insinuations. He held Eunwoo in a tight hug, strong arms steadying Eunwoo as the boy struggled with his breath and tears that will not stop flowing.

 

 

After a few minutes of silence, Eunwoo pulled away slightly, looking into Moonbin’s eyes for light. And he felt that after years of walking alone in the darkness, an angel –cupid, rather– glowing in heavenly light reached out his hand. And Eunwoo took it hesitantly. He knows how this friendship will end, but it was so comforting, letting the light the angel provided warm him for the first time in forever.

 

 

His fingers brushed past the wet patch on Moonbin’s yellow shirt, rather carefully, causing the fabric to crease under his digits. Moonbin’s hand tenderly reached for Eunwoo’s fingers on his shirt and brought it down, holding it gently as if he is worried that it may break apart. Eunwoo’s head bowed slightly as his eyes traced Moonbin’s hands. It is then did he notice how intimate this position seemed, but somehow it was so pleasant and comforting. The cupid’s smooth and lean fingers carefully caressed the older boy’s ones as he used his free hand to slightly lift Eunwoo’s chin.

 

 

“I will never give up on you. Please don’t give up on yourself.” Moonbin firmly asserted, voice dead serious and his eyes not leaving Eunwoo’s brown orbs. The cupid could almost feel himself getting into those beautiful eyes and drowning in them forever, but he quickly pushed away all his feelings aside. Eunwoo’s eyes did not quiver as he looked back into the eyes of the younger boy and felt his soul being set on fire.

 

 

Eunwoo nodded. Moonbin notices a lone tear escaping its confinements and he immediately used his cloth to clean it, dabbing at the impossibly flawless and pure skin. “I believe in you.” Moonbin replies reassuringly. His wings folded back and disappeared, the sunlight now directly shining on the two of them. Moonbin, who was facing the sun, looked like he was shining, his lips slowly stretching into a smile that Eunwoo has grown to like.

 

 

After laying down the feathered cloth he used previously for Eunwoo to sit on, he motioned for him to sit beside him, patting the cloth lightly. “Thanks so much, I never thought I would ever tell people something so personal. I feel lighter now that its all out.”

 

 

“Its my duty to go through all the ups and down with my friend, so I’m just glad you are feeling better now.”

 

 

“Haven’t cried in such a long time, it feels strange. Its embarrassing,” Eunwoo shyly admits. The cold walls he put up seemed to crumble into dust when the cupid’s around. He wondered if he can deal with Moonbin leaving, but decided quickly to just live in the present for a while.

 

 

“You shouldn’t be so hard on yourself, you know? Crying is normal,” He reassured the boy who was just looking down at his own fingers that felt lonely without someone holding it. The silence shared between the two felt comfortable, and Eunwoo’s glad he opened up to the cheerful boy who was so annoyingly persistent before. Maybe Moonbin’s not so annoying afterall…

 

 

“Emotions can destroy a person.” Eunwoo mutters softly to him, hoping Moonbin did not catch the negativity in his voice. He frankly hated this side of himself. That very cold self he always presented to other people, he had always resented it. But he always told himself that relationships don’t last. In the end, those who care, will get hurt.

 

 

“But emotions build people up. Emotions make a person strong. Yes, being open with your feelings may make you vulnerable, but that fragility is what makes us human.” Moonbin says, as if reading off a book. Except his voice is definitely more sincere and soothing to listen to. “Fragility makes something precious, don’t you think? That’s why love is so precious.”

 

 

“Say, do you even know what it is like to fall in love? I mean, you could describe it that time, but do cupids actually have those kind of feelings?” Eunwoo asked, looking into the distance at the wide and edgeless blue skies.

 

 

Moonbin’s face is tinted with a different pink Eunwoo has not seen before. Yea, I think I am in love with you. But he promptly replies, “I don’t know, I mean, I have always thought cupids existed to help others fall in love. I have never thought about such things before.” I have, but I don’t know if I can tell you I love you.

 

 

“Isn’t it weird though? That you are helping others without knowing what love is?” Eunwoo laughed a little, an indicator his mood being slightly better.

 

 

“I mean, I do watch people end up getting married and do all sorts of lovey dovey stuff too, so I guess I can recognise it pretty well? Mind you I scored perfect marks in training classes! Top of the class and my teacher said I get the job done no matter how hard it is!” He says, voice raising a little when he emphasised on his grades, something that he has always been proud of.

 

 

“Well you are determined I will give you that.” His eyes had beamed into crescent-shaped slits, smiling at the memories of Bin insistently following him around and him enduring countless shocks from suddenly appearing.

 

 

“Of course! I will never give up on anything I do!” The cupid’s voice is so confident Eunwoo rolled his eyes watching him pound on his chest. It was as if Bin had won a war, the pride radiating from his fist clenched and eyes shining.

 

 

Once Moonbin had come back to sense, he looks to the ground, the slight embarrassment returning quickly as well. He hits his neck habitually, something he does when he is flustered in front of someone important. Refusing to meet Eunwoo’s eyes, he decided to change the topic.

 

 

“Anyways, when you saw me for the first time, you were half , remember?” he says, face slightly turning peachy as he recalled that body he saw. It was buff and yes, Eunwoo definitely had perfect abs covered in perfect skin that he thinks no human has.

 

 

“Ahhh right, I was gonna scream ‘ert’ then.” Eunwoo’s voice trailed off in embarrassment. “Wait, was that not the first time you saw me too?”

 

 

“No…” Bin’s voice trailed off sheepishly as he huddled his knees close and plumped his face on his white pants. “I mean, I sort of have to do research.”

 

 

“You stalker! I should’ve screamed ‘ert’ and call the police on you!” Eunwoo exclaims rather exaggeraedly, purposely making his voice slightly higher and his expressions more obvious.

 

 

“You wouldn’t…” Moonbin’s eyes squeezed into a cat-like squint as he eyed Eunwoo.

 

 

“Yes, yes I would, Mr. Stalker.”

 

 

“No way! We’re like real good friends now! You wouldn’t betray me like that, right? Dongmin?” He pleaded, his eyes opened big like a little kitten begging for a snack. Those eyes that melted Eunwoo like he was a popsicle on a hot summer day, which is infact not very far from the actual truth. His real name sounded nice on Moonbin’s tongue, and he secretly wondered why he allowed this cupid (whom he has met only for a few weeks) to call him by that name he buried so deep he wouldn’t even allow himself to say.

 

 

“I don’t know, maybe I still would…” the playful tone was evident as Eunwoo’s eyes wandered to the skies above.

 

 

[In that short moment, Eunwoo felt like he saw his friend Taehyun smiling at him from above, waving slightly and turning around, walking away. Suddenly, he felt like lighter. Watching Taehyun walk away didn’t send his heart panicking and his mind hurting as it used to. Not anymore. Instead, he felt calm, he felt comforted. Although his friendship with Taehyun didn’t end the best way, maybe it was okay to move on. Maybe, it was okay to forgive himself. Maybe it was okay to believe in friendship again…]

 

 

“Nah, I know you wouldn’t.” Bin’s voice broke him out of his trance. "Yow were willingly half the next time I saw you, so you wouldnt." Bin commented plainly, recalling how the second time he saw that body Eunwoo hadn't cared about showing himself to him.

 

 

"Maybe I didn't care then, but I do now," Eunwoo fought back. Truth be told, he didn't care about his body, but this sudden questioning made him change his mind a little about it. Anyway it is fun calling Bin a 'ert' and watching Bin defend himself.

 

 

 “Whatever, as I was saying, you were half and ­–”

 

 

“Geez, saying that really makes you sound like a ert, seriously” Eunwoo deadpanned.

 

 

“Let me finish, I was just wondering, do you go to the gym?”

 

 

“Yea, why? So much for research done, I thought you stalked me enough to know.”

 

 

“Just cause I know stuff about you doesn’t mean I know everything!” Bin retorts as his expression moulds into one of being offended.

 

 

“Doesn’t change the fact that you are one creepy cupid.” Eunwoo can’t help but eye him suspiciously in joking manner. “As you were saying?”

 

 

“I am not creepy! I was just doing my job. But, back to my reason, its because the gym at headquarters is rather crowded and everybody is super fit and I wanted to find some gym on earth to work out between my task. Preferably one that doesn’t have a lot of people.” Bin explained, “I mean, I’m like flabby and its embarrassing to train with all my friends who look like they lift trucks for sport.”

 

 

“Mmmhm ,I see, but everyone starts out like that, you don’t have to be embarrassed.”

 

 

“I just am. I can’t help it.” Bin absentmindedly hit his neck again, rather flustered. H e felt judged and senstivie in front of Eunwoo. It was not like him to be so flushed, but in front of Eunwoo, sometimes his confident persona decides to take a vacation without informing him.

 

 

“Well, the gym I go is pretty empty and its near school. I go there when I don’t want to deal with the world and all those burdensome emotions humans have. Maybe I can bring you there?” Eunwoo offered, but not before adding:

 

 

“Unless you are there to see me when I shower afterwards. Then I will scream ‘’ and report you to the police.”

 

 

“I am not going to! You’re never gonna let that go, are you?” Bin’s voice was cute. Wait, what? Eunwoo’s smirk had been wiped off as his cheeks blossomed pink. Yea, Bin’s voice is pretty cute, the cupid in generally is pretty cute, he finds himself admitting that and nodding to that thought. (Something he probably wouldn’t believe he allowed himself to think a few weeks back.)

 

 

“But if you don’t mind, I would love to check out that gym. How about after school today?” Bin continued, huffing his cheeks in an adorable way as his eyes somehow found Eunwoo’s brown orbs.

 

 

“Yea, sure.”