Chpt 1/?: Meeting Mr. Cupid

Why won't you fall in love?

A/N: I do not know how many chapters this will, but it wouldn't be too long, because I have other ideas I want to write on too! Word Count: 2038


 

Eunwoo swears the sun is trying to burn him. He can already feel his face melting, his school shirt clinging tightly to his back like a leech. His schoolbag dug into his shoulders, tearing apart his skin underneath. Its one of the hottest summer in Eunwoo’s memory, which makes it the worst because it means his quiet lunch will be accompanied by the sweltering heat.

 

 

Eunwoo loves being on his own, prefering to hide behind his books and his headphones. Its not that he isn’t well-liked in school – in fact, he is one of the most popular boys in the school, but then again its highschool, where people are interested in falling in love and breaking up. Eunwoo thinks that its not the time for people to fall in love, because it just means more heartbreak and more pain, and he hates that. Every day, Eunwoo would receive notes in his locker from various girls, some considered school’s beauties and others part of popular groups of people. Even guys have dropped Eunwoo notes, not that Eunwoo minded. But he left it pilling up in his locker, because he does not want to deal with feelings and all that complicated stuff.

 

 

Every day during lunch breaks, Eunwoo would bring the sandwich he made in the morning to the rooftop, enjoying time alone where people would not usually find him, because its secluded and also open-air. Which makes it hot, burning hot, especially in summers.

 

 

But as usual, Eunwoo spent his lunches at the rooftop, writing and reading, sometimes even staring into empty air. The piercing sun tries to force him into socialisation, but Eunwoo would rather endure the heat than deal with all the cheesy, fluffy, vomit-inducing cringeness going on in the classroom blocks or lunch areas.

 

 

After school, when the bell rings and the sound of chairs scrapping against the classroom floor can be heard, the first person leaving the school compound would be none other than Eunwoo. He always manages to disappear in the crowd of students along the hallways, escaping the compound before any girl or guy catches up to him. Today is no different, Eunwoo’s got his earphones plucked in, with an idol group’s song – Astro, his new favourite band – playing as he walks down the streets to his home. He lived 10 minutes away from school, hence he always enjoyed a slow walk back. But thanks to the glaring sun, he walked as fast as he could back home, anticipating the cold, comforting wind of his airconditioner back home.

 

 

Upon unlocking his door, he picks up his school shoes and laid it on the rack by the entrance. Plopping his heavy schoolbag on the ground, Eunwoo hurriedly switched on the airconditioner using the remote control on the cabinets at the door, locking the wooden door behind him carefully. Its times like this that Eunwoo is thankful that his family could afford an apartment near school for him, saving him hours of travelling time. (not really, but still grateful)

 

 

He takes off his sweat-drenched school uniform, rolling his tie neatly and stuffing it in the drawers. Walking across the living room to get to his bedroom for a change of clothes, he sees a stranger on the couch.

 

 

In shock, Eunwoo stopped dead in his tracks, gasping at the presence of a boy sleeping on the couch. Is it a thief? It cannot be right, since the boy looks so innocent and cute. Wait, cute? No, it cannot be, because a thief would have left his house already, a thief wouldn’t fall asleep in someone’s house like that. What if he’s an assasin? Eunwoo ponders for a second, mapping out his choice of action. But he considers, it can’t be, because he would’ve been killed already. So who is this boy?

 

 

He leans forward to the boy’s face, immediately jerking back when the boy’s nose started sniffing and his eyes sleepily blinks open. The boy seemed to be confused and tired, though not before realising that Eunwoo’s staring at him, without a shirt on.

 

 

“Ahhhh!” He screamed and then quickly covered his mouth. Eunwoo jerked back a little more, shocked at the sudden high decibel scream from the previously sleeping boy.

 

 

“You’re home, I overslept, oh man, I overslept.” The boy panics and gets off the couch quickly, pacing back and forth, as if contemplating something. “You’re half though,” his casual comment caught Eunwoo off guard, waking Eunwoo from his daze. Eunwoo’s cheeks turned rose pink as he quickly rushed to his room to put on his shirt. Once he was in his room with the doors shut, he colded himself for acting this way, which was super uncharacteristic of him anyways. What’s wrong with another man seeing his upper body? Its nothing, right?

 

 

He closed the door behind him as he left the room, determined to find out who this sneaky stranger was and how he managed to enter his apartment. The doors were locked and windows closed, there’s just no way someone could have sneaked in.

 

 

The boy sat on the couch, reading a tiny notebook. “You’re back,” The boy commented, not even looking at Eunwoo.

 

 

“Yes, it is my house you know, who are you? Why are you here? How did you even get in?” Eunwoo asked, deciding not to flood the nonchalent boy with too many questions even though his mind was racing with them.

 

 

“Geez, one at a time Eunwoo, I am Moon Bin. I am here to help you, its my mission and I am failing terribly. How did I get in? You left your bedroom window open.”

 

 

Eunwoo was busy processing the words, seeing the tired boy yawn as he stares at Eunwoo. Eunwoo yawns, embarrassed for staring, but he is more confused now. Mission? What mission? Of course, his bedroom windows, which he prefers to keep open to let fresh air in. Wait, did the boy call his name? How did the boy know his name?

 

 

“Wait, how did you know my name?”

 

 

“I’m a cupid. To be exact, I am a ‘first-love cupid’, which means I make sure people have a pleasant start to their love life. And you are my first mission Eunwoo, or should I say Dongminnie.”

 

 

Eunwoo was not sure if he could take the boy seriously now. Cupid? Isn’t that something from the greek mythology? How does that exist in the real world? Last he checked, greek mythologies are just myths, stories from the past, not literal real persons. But somehow, inside his heart, he was inclined to believe that it did exist. Just somehow, he believed this boy, what’s his name? Oh right, Moonbin.

 

 

Moonbin seems to recognise his expression, acknowledging his uncertaintly with a nod of the head.

 

 

“You don’t usually see cupids around, we’re invisible unless we show ourselves delliberately. I know you’re confused, let me prove to you,” Moonbin says with a proud expression, standing up and moving away from the furniture.

 

 

Moonbin held his hands together and Eunwoo sees the heavenly pure white wings emerge from Moonbin’s back, folding open to form wings you would only see in comics or drawings. It seemed unreal, the individual feathers bright and glistering in the bath of sunlight from the clear windows of the apartment. Moonbin’s hands also seem to carry a tiny pouch.

 

 

“Am I dead? Are you like some angel bringing me to heaven?” Eunwoo asks, still trying to take in the sight of a man with majestic wings almost twice the size of the boy.

 

 

“No you are not dead, but I will be soon if I don’t finish my first mission. As in not dead, but I will be fired.” Moonbin folds his wings and keeps them so that Eunwoo would not be able to see them. He then drops into the couch, sighing dejectedly.

 

 

“What mission, you mean -” Eunwoo stops, unsure if what he is thinking of is right.

 

 

“Yes, you need to fall in love, and I’ve been trying really hard.” Moonbin sighs again. He opens carefully the pouch and turns it upside down to release the contents. Out came a single stone in the shape of a heart. “Its my last try. Unlike what the media tells you all, cupids don’t actually shoot arrows, instead, we rub this stone and it will become an invisible shower of dust on the target. We are given a bag for each person we are helping, and usually it only requires one or two at most. Do you even know how many stones were in this bag?” Moon exasperatedly ask.

 

 

Eunwoo, on the other hand, had a blank look, still coming to terms with all the information suddenly poured onto him.

 

 

“50 stones. 50 first-love stone. Now there’s only 1 left. I’ve been working hard to get you to fall in love, I’ve been using so much dust on all the prettiest people around, the handsomest ones too. And it doesn’t work.” Moonbin sounded like a dying puppy, clearly done with this difficult task.

 

 

“How do you know it doesn’t work?” Eunwoo asks, finally catching up with the train of thoughts.

 

 

“Because when it works you will be with someone and I get to disappear back to headquarters.” He explains, seeing Eunwoo nod as he continues, “And since I am here, it means it didn’t work.”

 

 

“So all the attention in school and letters are because of you?”

 

 

“No, not all. Some people, cough, unlike the one I am dealing with,” Moonbin shoots him an annoyed glare, "actually have emotions like a normal human being. So that’s why I am here, because I only have one stone left to kickstart you love life, and if it does not work I will be fired. Fired! I don’t want to lose my job when I am only 19 years old!” Moonbin walked towards Eunwoo, holding the said boy’s hands and staring into Eunwoo’s brown orbs.

 

 

“So can you tell me, why won’t you fall in love? Can you please fall in love?” Moonbin pleads, his lips forming an adorable pout as his face is literally centimetres away from Eunwoo’s.

 

 

“No,” Eunwoo says after a moment of silence. He pulls away from the awkward position, retreating to the couch where Moonbin was sleeping in just now.

 

 

“Why? Pleaseeee,” Moonbin doesn’t like to plead, but he really does not want to lose his job for some strange reason, but whatever, he just wants to finish this task and move to another person.

 

 

“I said no, at least not anytime soon. I don’t want to fall in love and get involved in those dramatic, cringey and sticky relationship.” Eunwoo reiterated, his voice remaining firm even though his heart is melting thanks to Moonbin’s adorable pout. Adorable? Scratch that, Eunwoo decides to continue hardening his heart.

 

 

“Why won’t you? Relationships are fun! They make you feel all happy and –”

Moonbin explains, only to be cut off by the nonchalent and emotionless boy.

 

 

“and sappy and eventually you will be heartbroken and depressed. Thank you Mr. Cupid, but no thank you.”

 

 

“It’s Moonbin. I have a name.” Moonbin’s arms were crossed as he stares at the boy on his couch, flipping through a magazine that was on the desk.

 

 

“Well, Moonbin, you should just leave because I am not going to fall in love even you use 1000 love stones.” Eunwoo comments without lifting his head.

 

 

Moonbin takes the magazine away from Eunwoo in one swift action, throwing it to the coffee table. “I’m not leaving. I’m going to make sure you find your first-love.” His voice was determined and sure.

 

 

“Firstly, its rude to throw someone’s magazine. Not to mention, you’re in my house, disturbing me. Secondly, I am not interested in romance! Just give up.” Eunwoo stares back, his eyes equally firm and unwavering.

 

 

“I’m not giving up on you Eunwoo, I’m gonna make sure it happens.” Moonbin retorts. “I’ll give you your private space now, but I’ll find a way, I will.”

 

 

With that, Moonbin disappears. Eunwoo’s mind is as empty as the room he is in. He leans back into the couch, closing his eyes as his thoughts came running back to him. What just happened?