The Boy Who Likes Reading

The Place We Call Home

Jeonghan likes visiting the local library. There is this sense of tranquility and mutual respect that calms him. He also likes the smell of books. Jeonghan does not mind spending his whole day there.

Lately he has been going to the library in another district closer to the city because they offer special books that were usually not available in other libraries. Jeonghan has been studying Psychology part-time and he was seeking books, specifically novels, that depict human emotions in ways not possible by the restrictions in textbooks. He liked to explore and learn by feeling the way humans think rather than reading it off the textbooks.

For the three weeks that Jeonghan started visiting this library, there was this boy that was always sitting in the same table close to the windows by the corner far from everything else, at the same time - Jeonghan found out by unconsciously peeking - reading the same book. Sure, a book takes long to finish, but this boy has been reading the same page. Jeonghan knew because he didn’t hear any rustling of the page turning.

It was never in Jeonghan’s intention to approach the boy. He understood that the boy wanted to be alone and he respected that. The boy probably sought refuge in the library and revelled in the peaceful silence it offered.

But one day, the boy didn’t read any book and just slept in his spot. The glasses that usually adorned his face was on the table. Jeonghan noticed the handsome features and figured a smile would suit his face more. On this very day, Jeonghan decided to stay back until the library closed, and his hunch was right, the boy was still sleeping. Jeonghan slowly inched closer to the boy and patted his back, hopefully he got the signal to wake up and leave the library, and in fact he did.

Wonwoo opened his eye to the face of a beautiful man and was startled at the sudden human contact. He took the cue to quickly get up and gather his belongings. He didn't want to have any human interaction. He chose the library because he could be alone, so he didn't have to go back to that place. The place he used to call home, now in shatters.

“Things that are bound to happen will happen.” - Jeonghan said with firmness in his voice, trying to reach out to the stranger.

Wonwoo stopped on his track to the entrance of the library. For the first time, he chose to not run away but looked back. What he saw was the smile of an angel.

“Care to join me for a cup of coffee or two? And this book you've been reading, let's not read it anymore, the parents had no consideration of the child when they chose their end. I have plenty of good ones at home if you don't mind coming with me to my place.”

Wonwoo chuckled, “Is that an offer for date, well, two dates?”

Jeonghan didn't reply and simply looked straight into Winslow's tired and dull black orbs.

“My name is Jeon Wonwoo.”

***

When Jeonghan came home with a stranger, Seungcheol immediately knew what's up. He sighed, thinking about how he could get a new bed and rearranged the room for a sleeping space. Oh, there's food to take care of too. And school, if the boy was still young. There would be a lot of works for him, but as long as Jeonghan was happy, he didn't mind it one bit.

Wonwoo was a boy of few words. He prefered to enjoy reading books by himself in the quietness of the house. Due to this, Wonwoo was extremely knowledgable. Jeonghan chuckled to himself, Wonwoo is the very embodiment of the library, and to his surprise, Wonwoo could crack a dad joke or two. He also really liked being lazy. Wonwoo might be much taller than Jeonghan and looked intimidating, but he was simply an overgrown endearing sloth.

One day, Seungkwan and he went out to shop for supplies. When they came back, they saw Wonwoo asleep on Jeonghan’s shoulder with a half opened book in his hand. Jeonghan meanwhile was watching TV with such a low volume it was practically silent. Seungkwan pouted. That was his spot. He put down the shopping bags and went straight for the empty spot next to Jeonghan. He plopped down and leaned on Jeonghan’s free shoulder.

Seungcheol had to suppress his laugh when Jeonghan gave him the stare and a warning not to wake Wonwoo up.