The Boy Who Always Cries

The Place We Call Home

It wasn't the path he always took.

Sometimes, happiness came at the most unexpected time, Jeonghan liked experiencing new things, taking new paths, telling new stories.

Meeting new people.

Fate was not planned, but would undoubtedly come to you. Jeonghan was a firm believer of fate, and that was how he had been living his life. Fate brought people together, but it was up to the 'you' and 'us' to decide if we wanted to persevere or destroy. Destruction was always the easy way out, and that was what most people ended up choosing. To be able to persevere took more than just courage. It was about what resided within our hearts, and love was something Jeonghan had plenty to give.

Jeonghan smelled of coffee. Probably from the hundreds of cups he brewed everyday. Jeonghan liked to believe it was his natural scent, just as everyone had a scent that made people went 'ah, this smelled like you'. Jeonghan deeply loved coffee. Coffee was bitter, yet sweet. Coffee was like humans. Coffee was like his heart, except Jeonghan's coffee never went cold.

On one hand was a hotly brewed cup of vanilla latte, the other holding a phone with GPS opened. Jeonghan sighed for the nth time. "This doesn't feel right." He was lost, in a neighbourhood he never had the chance to travel to, until now. He decided to go back the way he came, but before that, he would have a nice lunch to make up for the walking he had done for the day. About three blocks in front of him situated a small family restaurant that sold different kinds of stews. He promptly walked towards the welcoming fragrance of boiling hot soups.

That was when he spotted the crying boy.

The boy was sitting on the cold ground of the alleyway between the restaurant and the neighbour grocery store. He was sipping on the beef stew, all while crying hard at the same time. It looked like no one seemed to take notice of him despite him being quite a sight. Maybe they simply didn't care, too wrapped up in their own selfish desires.

Jeonghan's heart ached for the boy. He had never met the boy, ever. Yet, it felt like nature for him to walk to the crying boy and said:

"You know, tears don't mix well with soup."

The boy immediately shot up, confused.

"And the ground is not very comfy. I know a better place to enjoy the soup."

The boy momentarily stopped crying.

"Come with me."

The boy asked no questions, and followed Jeonghan's steps.

***

It has been three weeks since Seungkwan started living in Jeonghan's and Seungcheol's shared house. Two bedrooms, a common area for cooking, meals and entertaiment, one bathroom. It may not be that grand of a house, but to Jeonghan, it was his everything, his dream house, a place he could proudly call home.

Seungkwan shared a bed with Jeonghan since they didn't really expect to have a guest. Seungcheol did not question Jeonghan when one day he brought in a boy that looked like all he ever did was crying, what with the swelling red puffy eyes and snotty nose. Seungkwan settled in quickly. It was as if they had known each other way before that fateful encounter. Seungcheol could see that Seungkwan had taken a strong liking to Jeonghan, and Seungkwan also found Seungcheol a pleasant presence. Seungkwan didn't say it, but, Jeonghan and Seungcheol felt like home.

And home was a luxury to Seungkwan.

They later learnt that Seungkwan was 7 years younger than Jeonghan and should have currently attended second year of high school had he not been expelled for unexplained extended absence, to which Jeonghan vowed to re-enrol him because "education is important for growing boys", accompanied by a silent "don't be like me".

They also learnt that Seungkwan was a huge crybaby. He could cry and would cry at anything. A children show where the hero finally woke up the sleeping princess. A lost dog that finally found his way home. An abandoned child that finally met his mother. Apparently he cried the day Jeonghan met him because the beef stew was just so good and tasted like home. Jeonghan did not pry further.

Seungkwan was a sensitive boy, Jeonghan was going to protect him with all his heart and bask him in his unconditional love.

Jeonghan tried to remake the "so delicious I cried" beef stew from the family restaurant. It may never match Jun's cooking but Jeonghan still tried either way. Seungkwan happily finished the soup in one go and asked for seconds. Jeonghan mentally added "make the best beef stew" to his list of to-dos. He would have to meet up with Jun later.

On one evening, when everyone was cozily wathcing an old Korean sitcom after dinner (Jeonghan called it quality family time), Seungcheol suddenly announced that he was set on buying a new bed for Seungkwan. Seungkwan fiercely rejected, and Jeonghan could literally see Seungcheol's ears drooped. Seungkwan noticed and he immediately said, "I like sleeping and cuddling with mom."

Seungkwan went beet red and Seungcheol whipped his head so fast it's a wonder how it's still connected to his neck.

Jeonghan simply smiled.

 

---

Author's note: this story is going to be chaptered but I'm super slow with updates so bear with me.