Pastel and Dark, Never Apart

Not-so-secret SPOOK

Pairing : Dia x Myungsoo (Infinite)
Genre : Fantasy, Fluff, Romance, Slightly angst
Words : 7,761
Written By : Shino159

 


 

Animus. The mind where they play.
 
This time she was just a sound, shifting from the creaks of loose planks in the mansion to the shuffling of one's feet and the to the moon. She could feel the fear seep from the predator already even though she didn’t do much. Tonight was an easy target. Because for all things, fear was the most fundamental for nightmares.
 
“We reached our number already,” Minseok spoke happily as the trio gathered around after their rounds. Inserting just a few more words, he stored the report away in his dark coloured cloak that swirled from crimson red to dark blue.
 
“It’s going quicker than usual, it only makes it boring,” Sehun muttered sadly and crossed his arms. “I was anticipating to try my new idea.”
 
“We can’t help it. I heard it’s the time of year again where humans celebrate something called Halloween. It’s filled with scary stories. They’re bound to get a bit more sensitive and jumpy,” Dia explained with a smile and patted the boy’s shoulder. “Let’s head back now?”
 
The two replied with a nod before they returned to their home; Conscientia Academy.
 
Today was Sehun’s turn to hand the report to their teacher. The three had agreed that their teacher for the practical field work, Seollin, was not that loveable and to make it more bearable for all of them, they had agreed that they would take turns in reporting their night’s journey. The tall lad had just excused himself when they reached the cafeteria.
 
Just a few seconds in and the girl could hear the familiar voice teasing her, sending her heart in a sprint.
 
“Do your feet hurt? Because you have been running through my mind all day.”
 
“Yes they do, chasing people in their nightmares is hard work,” Dia said with a grin while Myungsoo smirked at her reply. “So how did your field work go? Conjuring rainbows and unicorns again?”
 
“That only works with children,” he answered seriously but bumped her playfully before he headed for the door.
 
“Where are you going?” Dia asked, trying to sound disinterested.
 
“Still need to get my report to Yixing,” he replied and turned to her once more. “Don’t miss me too much.”
 
When he actually left, the girl sighed in disappointment while Minseok chuckled in amusement. Right. Her friend was still there, having witnessed it all.
 
“It’s almost painful to watch you two flirt like that,” he said amused, but she wasn’t affected in the least. Not when she saw who was just entering the cafeteria.
 
“And it’s so cute to see you all shy,” Dia cooed with a grin.
 
“I’m not. Why would I be shy around you?” he asked confused, but the sound of skipping feet and the sight of the light cloak instantly turned his cheeks red.
 
“You guys are back so soon!” Heejin said happily while waving her hands as greeting and stopped between the two. The sudden halt made her cloak swirl around her, the light pastel colours of the fabric swirling around like clouds. “Jihye enjoyed her dream creation too much so we lost her for a moment… But we found her!”
 
“That’s good to hear,” Dia said with a chuckle. “Everything went smoothly for us.”
 
“With Halloween coming...” Minseok stuttered. “Was it hard for you?”
 
“It took a bit more time, but it went well. I have lots of plan B’s under my cloak,” she said with a smile and looked at him bashfully.
 
Dia covered as she watched her friends so obviously infatuated with each other. It was too cute to see.
 
“Jealous?”
 
A not so sophisticated yelp escaped her lips and she smacked the arms of the boy who had returned. She forgot that Yixing’s office had been nearby the cafeteria.
 
“I’m not jealous. That,” the girl said and nodded at the two, “Is not really my style, I suppose.”
 
“Then what is your style? Push and pull?” Myungsoo asked curiously while they headed to the food together.
 
“I’ve never had a chance to find out,” she replied and thanked him when he gave her a tray. Walking smoothly along the queue, they each put their tray full and Minseok had one extra for when Sehun would be back.
 
Before Myungsoo could make another remark to reply the nightmare seeker he got interrupted by the electric buzz of the intercom.
 
‘Good night everyone, this is your principal Yerin speaking. I will hereby announce a new regulation that will be valid as from today onwards. All students are not allowed to leave to field individually and are required to go with a minimum pair of two. I repeat; all students are not allowed to leave to field individually and are required to go with a minimum pair of two. Please resume your activities. Thank you.’
 
It was quiet after that announcement, only the sound of footsteps was heard as everyone was trying to find a seat.
 
“So... going in groups and making a dream together? It’s just like when we first came to the academy,” Heejin said with a pout. “Did we get downgraded again?”
 
“I don’t think the school has any doubts in our abilities,” Minseok theorised while Dia patted the girl's’ shoulder.
 
“If anything...” Myungsoo began and furrowed his eyebrows as all friends looked at each other in turn.
 
“They are hiding something from us,” Dia finished.
 
“But what?” Heejin asked the question for all of them.
 
“I might know the answer,” a voice said and they all looked up. Sehun was back and he looked quite distressed.
 
Taking a seat next to Minseok, he quickly took a spoon of his food as if to try and calm himself. The others, however, were more curious than hungry and wanted him to just speak up.
 
“Alright,” Sehun began as soon as he swallowed. “I just walked through the hospital wing and I saw Hye. She was unconscious and her cloak…”
 
He gulped before he finally ended his sentence.
 
“It was black.”
 
---
 
“Please stand in line, the ceremony will begin shortly!” a woman yelled as she lazily handed everyone a transparent cloak. Dia thanked her, but the teacher was too busy to hear her and already took off to the next student-to-be.
 
“How impolite,” she mumbled softly and tried on the cape.
 
A grunt of discomfort slipped her lips as the fabric held tightly to her shoulders. It was too small for her. She couldn’t believe her luck on the first day already. Trying to look for the teacher in charge, she already knew that if she would find her, she had to wait. And she disliked to wait, disliked being an understatement.
 
“The cloak is too big for me,” a voice in front of her spoke out and she turned around to see a girl hold the item in front of her with a pout.
 
“Just wait for the teacher to walk back here,” the boy next to her advised.
 
This was her chance!
 
“The size is too small for me,” Dia called out and showed her own. “We could swap? I think it would take a bit of time before she returns.”
 
“That’d be great!” the girl said happily. “It’s not a problem, right? To switch?”
 
“The cloaks are not personalised until you walk through that gate, so it should be fine,” another voice answered. The said boy was wearing his robe already and smiled at them shyly, his cat like eyes darting around between all the new faces.
 
“Oh thank you, we didn’t know. You must be really smart!” the girl chirped, but the boy who stood next to her opened his mouth already while the ‘smart boy’ blushed at her blunt comment.
 
You didn’t know,” he corrected and it made Dia chuckle a bit as the girl looked so offended by his words.
 
“Attention please!”
 
Before an argument could break out, everyone was silenced as the principal stood at the top of the stairs, overlooking all the students who were now wearing a cloak.
 
“I, principal Yerin, welcome you all to Conscientia Academy. I see our lovely teacher Seulyi has given you all a cloak. The cloak that will determine your entire school course, the cloak that will be your lifeline.”
 
Students started to gasp and whisper harshly, making the woman chuckle.
 
“Rest assured my students! Maybe my last words were a bit exaggerating. It is true that the fabric on your shoulders will depict your lifeline, but it will not affect it. If you’re cloak is ruined, you’re fine!” she said with a laugh, while the students only sighed in relief.
 
“Let’s not go around the bush now and start our ceremony. Soon each one of you shall step through these gates. Will light colours arise from your cloak, you will be titled a somnium, responsible to create dreams. Should dark colours paint your cloak, the name of somnium exterreri shall be bestowed upon you. It is your responsibility to shape nightmares in one's mind. That being said, let the first person go through.”
 
---
 
“You must have seen it wrong by the lighting or something,” Heejin muttered softly, fear wavering her voice.
 
Sehun only shook his head at her comment. “I saw it, I’m sure. I know how our cloak looks like and that was not it. It was black I tell you. Pitch black.”
 
“Would it be possible Hye is...” Dia trailed off, but the others shook their head.
 
“It couldn’t be… maybe she’s just ill,” Myungsoo tried to reassure them. “Let’s not jump into conclusions now. I’m sure the teachers are trying to figure something out IF there is something going on.”
 
---
 
After the announcement, everything had resumed as normal. There were no signs of anything that could be wrong. The only thing that could have been a clue to recent events was Hye, but she wasn’t found again in the hospital wing. Rumour had it that she had returned to her home temporarily, resting because it was all getting overwhelming.
 
Dia hadn’t bought any of that as she knew the girl and the school. If anyone had problems or something was starting to be too much then the academy would try help and solve anything that could be troubling you. It only made this situation more suspicious.
 
It wasn’t after the second heard incident that she was growing suspicious. They were supposed to go on less rounds and mold dreams and nightmares. Again, Sehun had the honour or the misfortune to witness all again; the black cloak. This time it was Yeon who didn’t take the new rule serious and went off on her own. And this is where it got her.
 
“There is something going on,” Myungsoo muttered next to Dia and she nodded. Most students showed an expression of fear and confusion, but not them.
 
“We should try and figure this out… We have information, it’s not much but something at least.”

“Let’s meet tonight in the library?” he whispered softly as the others continued to speculate. Their conversation went unnoticed by most of them as Dia silently agreed.
 
---
 
“Going somewhere?” Sehun asked suspiciously as Dia stopped in her tracks.
 
“I’m going to the library with Myungsoo,” she said nonchalantly which only made the boy sigh.
 
“Look, I know you care about him and all, and that’s alright. But we’re supposed to coexist. Not fall in love with them and whatsoever,” Sehun stated in a matter of fact.
 
“I know Sehun. And no one said anything about falling in love,” Dia retorted, only making her friend snort.
 
“You don’t have to tell me. It’s obvious.”
 
And he was right. The girl did like the dreamseeker. Maybe even loved him. Myungsoo was smart and talented in what he did. But that wasn’t all. He could have his moments of dorkiness and that made him all the loveable. Plus the fact that he was helpful and friendly and she could go on and on.
 
What she also knew was that he was different than her. It was always so clear with the cloak’s clashing. Dream and nightmare. Positive and negative. Dia didn’t know if she had the courage yet to do anything but silently admire him.
 
But that was not what was important right now. So she stopped herself and finally dared to look back at her friend’s piercing eyes.
 
“Sehun-”
 
“I don’t care what you do, but know everything you choose has consequences,” he said sternly.
 
The girl frowned, getting riled up because of his words. Of course she knew, she wasn’t stupid.
 
“Please don’t tell me you are jealous,” Dia replied with disdain which only made Sehun scoff.
 
“Don’t try to avert this and point it to me. You know we’re only friends, that’s why we work. And don’t try to bring Minseok in it, because I know he’s in the same boat as you. But we’re talking about you now,” he reasoned.
 
“Yes, I do like him. And there is nothing wrong with that. Right now we want to look into these weird accidents. I don’t see anything that could make this ‘rendezvous’ romantic,” she said and motioned her fingers to quote the word ‘rendezvous.’
 
“But I know you feel special, because you’re the one he asked.”
 
“Sehun, this really isn’t the time for this talk,” Dia countered, not admitting he was right. “Maybe this only is a simple crush, who knows? You don’t have to worry so much about me, alright? Only I can handle my feelings.”
 
With that, she went off.
 
---
 
Dia had been laughing as Hyunmi revealed her method of creating a nightmare for someone. She would conjure Woohyun to one’s mind and the person would usually fall for him. Of course, the nightmare seeker did not like this one bit and it would fuel her desire to make the nightmare as horrible as could be. If occasionally the person did not like Woohyun, that was no problem either. She could not believe it if someone didn’t like him and in turn that fuelled her as well. It was a win win.
 
“Big news big news!!” Jihye yelled as she rushed to the hallways and interrupted the lovely chatter. “There are another two students found and in the hospital wing!”
 
Before she could run any further, Dia had stopped her shortly as Minseok and Sehun gathered around as well.
 
“Do you know who?” Minseok asked curiously as the others had the same expression as him. Jihye’s tears and panicked expression could already signal she was quite close to the two.
 
“They’re dreamseekers. Kimmi and Heejin.”
 
Before any of them could react to the news with more than a gasp, they could hear the familiar static buzzing before a cough could be heard.
 
‘Good night everyone, this is your principal Yerin speaking. I will hereby announce a new regulation that will be valid as from today onwards. All students are not allowed to leave to field. I repeat; all students are not allowed to leave to field. Please resume your activities. Thank you.’
 
----

“Where do you think you are going?” Myungsoo questioned as he stormed after her.
 
“Obviously the school is keeping something from us and I’m going to find out what it is. They can’t do this to us when some of us have been injured already. So don’t stop me,” Dia blazed from determination.
 
“That’s not a good idea, Dia.”
 
"There is nothing else to do. We should go out there. We should fight whoever or whatever is doing this to us. Even your sister got attacked for nightmares sake. Can't you be a bit more worked up?!"

"Well it won't help anyone that I mindlessly go out and possibly get attacked too! And she's my adoptive sister," he argued back harshly. He was agitated, but tried to control it.

"... Why do you care so much about the adoptive part?" Dia asked quietly. She knew he cared about her, but still. Myungsoo still forcefully put up a wall between Heejin and himself because of that word. And Dia had seen how it had affected Heejin. How she didn't feel part of anyone's family that way.

The question made the dreamseeker sigh, but it also blew some of his agitation away with it. He shook his head a bit, as to say it wasn’t important. Dia, however, wasn’t having any of it and tried to patiently wait while looking at him.
 
“Before we came here… I had always thought I would be a somnium exterreri,” he stated and Dia gasped. She hadn’t even imagined that.
 
“But I got chosen as a somnium.”
 
“The cloak never lies,” she muttered softly and he nodded.
 
“I know… but I didn’t expect it in the least and it took some time to produce all this… positivity? And then I saw her doing it so naturally.”
 
And that’s when it clicked for Dia. Myungsoo was unsure of his own abilities. She knew he had his pride, including to be the big brother Heejin could look up to. But he was feeling less in his abilities. Was this his form of hiding it? Averting his adoptive sister’s attention from the good and instead to the bad? Of him pushing her away? True to that, it was easier to think of negative thoughts, Dia had thought so at least.
 
For a moment Dia thought about being a somnium, but for her it was a horror. She imagined that she could not produce so much positivity in one day.
 
“You have an inferiority complex,” she spoke in a matter of fact, making him scoff.
 
“Are you surprised?”
 
“A bit,” Dia said with a smile and patted his arm. “But I’m glad I got to know more of you… thank you for telling me.”
 
“You’re actually the first I told anyone about this,” he confessed softly and chuckled nervously.
 
“Then I’m feeling even more honoured. Now, let’s find a solution to let your little sister admire you more,” she said with a chuckle and started her way .
 
“Not by going out, I hope.”
 
“Will you stop me from trying to save all of us?”
 
“Who said I was going to stop you?” Myungsoo asked and quirked his eyebrow.
 
His words made her halt in her tracks and turn around to face him. He didn’t have the usual teasing grin on his face, but a soft smile to tell her he supported her. They were together in this.
 
“You’re not?” she asked suspiciously.
 
“Well, if you’re going out there, then I will. First we should get some information and I know just where to look,” he said and grabbed her hand to lead. At this moment, with her friends hurt, there was no moment to think of something else but she still blushed. She tried to memorise the feeling of his slender fingers around her smaller ones, the warmth of his palm that spread along her skin. The proximity they were now. If there was no time of crisis, would they have gotten so close? If there was no time of crisis, would she confess her feelings? And there was only one answer. She didn’t know.
 
When she noticed where they were going, she frowned.
 
“Myungsoo, we’ve already searched in the library for any information. We couldn’t find anything.”
 
“I got a key from the history teacher saying he’s so proud that his student is striving to be a historian,” he said with a smirk and showed a gold key. “It’s getting us to the ancient books where we weren’t allowed to read yet.”
 
“That’s brilliant,” Dia said with a grin and only sighed now at her lack of self-control. If he hadn’t stopped her, who knows what could’ve happened if she went out there without any knowledge?
 
“Thank you. For indirectly saving me, I mean. It’s just been so confusing and our friends...”
 
“You don’t have to thank me, it’s obvious I’d try and hold you back from less smart decisions,” Myungsoo said with a smile and squeezed her hand.

----

 
The hospital wing. That was what Myungsoo had said. Minseok had rushed to the empty corridors, still not sure if he was brave enough to visit or turn back and regret not going.

The school wasn't able to hide it anymore. There was something dangerous going on, that fact was true. The cause for all of this though, he was positive it would soon be revealed.

Entering the wing, he spotted the dream girl almost instantly and out of reflex he hid behind a curtain. What if she wasn't happy to see him? Maybe she needed more rest.

‘She would like your company,’ Myungsoo had said to him with a grin, but he could still feel the nervousness and fear creeping up to him.

Before he could take another deep breath, he jumped up as Heejin had already noticed him behind the curtains and called out to him. His shadow was clearly visible for her through the curtain. He should’ve been more careful.
 
“What are you doing here?” she asked curiously and motioned him to the bed to come closer.

"I- uh... I got you some food... I wasn't sure they'd give you enough and if it was tasty... and you love to eat so..." he said flustered and handed the bag of snacks to her.

"Thank you! I can never have enough food," she said with a giggle and placed her book away to take the bag.

Minseok quietly watched her contemplating on what snack to eat first and his eyes drifted to the side of the hospital bed where her cloak hung. Unlike the others, her cloak was only half covered in nothing, entirely black. But another half was just like before, bright and colourful just like the girl herself.

"... Were you scared?" He asked after a while. He wasn't sure if she wanted to talk about it but she was calm and chirpy enough to eat a bag of chips already. And his curiosity was killing him.

"A bit, but Kimmi was with me. We saved each other so we could escape," Heejin said with a smile, but her body did shake a bit from the memory.

"How come you're not like..."

"The others? I'm not really sure... are you glad I'm not?"

"Of course I am!" He said quickly, making her giggle. The girl got him all flustered.

"I do know a theory though," Heejin said seriously then. "We got attacked on our heads. Our mind, that's where our creations come from when we create the dreams and nightmares that we need for our world. But I think it forgot the fact we have hearts too. My heart is still intact and it can produce even more dreams... because a dream is a wish your heart makes! I believe that's how we survived, Kimmi and me. For the nightmare seekers, I just think their minds could conjure negative thoughts for nightmares, but they are pure at heart. That concluded the disappearance of their abilities."

"A pure heart... that's a nice thought," Minseok said with a smile. Being a nightmare seeker, he always saw himself as dark. He never thought about the possible separation of heart and mind.
 
“Right? That’s why it’s not my theory,” she said with a laugh and he chuckled along. “It’s from Myungsoo.”
 
“He gave a lot of thought to it.”
 
“He’s bound to have some theories to satisfy his curiosity,” she said with a smile, but soon started to grin. “He’ll confess to her one day. Because he believes that there can’t be anything going wrong if our hearts are the same. Nightmares and dreamies are afraid to connect since the beginning of our time… but he’s willing to take the risk. Myungsoo is waiting for the right moment when Dia doesn’t feel that afraid anymore. He doesn’t want to rush her or push his feelings on her.”
 
“That’s… I wish I had so much courage,” he mumbled and looked down to his hands.
 
“Me too...” she agreed quietly.
 
---
 
If the library could be any more quiet, then it would be like this. There were no sounds of shuffling feet or the scribbling on paper, only the sound of their breathing and the occasional turning of a page. Since they had found this part of the library, they had plunged in the many books they had found.
 
Between the seriousness of the readings, they still found some moments to try and relax the other from the tension as they searched for yet another book and blew just a bit of dust playfully at the other.
 
“I think we’ve been going on for quite a while, let’s call it quits for today?” Myungsoo asked and stretched his body.
 
“Dia?” the lack of response made him look curiously to the side to see her bend forward and her head resting on her arms, peacefully asleep.
 
Before he knew it, his hand went forward but he stopped himself and retreated his hand back.
 
“Stupid! You’re a decent man, you know better than to touch a woman when unconscious. Or conscious for that matter,” he muttered to himself and wanted to bang his head. He was just sane enough to not do that though.
 
ing his cloak, he took it off and placed it over Dia. Her red hair seemed to radiate more as the light colours seemed to highlight the fiery strands. Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile and watch quietly, hoping she wouldn’t wake up because of him.
 
“You know, staring is rude too, not at all like a decent man,” Sehun stated as he leaned against one of the bookshelves and the dreamseeker barely could hold himself back from screaming.
 
“How did you get here?”
 
“Well, the entrance isn’t locked and I never saw this part from the library,” he shrugged and walked over to them. “What are you guys doing?”
 
“Trying to find what all this commotion is about, but we haven’t found anything yet,” Myungsoo admitted with disappointment.
 
“I’ll help,” his friend concluded and started skimming the shelves row for row. He vaguely remembered his grandfather telling him all kinds of stories from before their time. Not that it was relatively long. Nevertheless there were a lot of adventures made in that period. If these adventures were true or not, recorded or not, he did not know.
 
“Why didn’t you ask for our help anyway?” Sehun asked, preoccupied with the task on hand. “Wanted to keep it secret?”
 
“We’d tell you if we found anything,” Myungsoo defended, but he yawned and his attitude seemed less serious.
 
“Right,” his tall friend replied skeptically and picked up a book to read. “It’s not a crime to admit you wanted to be alone with her. She must like it too. You both don’t want to admit.”
 
“There’s no rush, Sehun,” was all that Myungsoo replied. He didn’t mind that other people knew, he wasn’t embarrassed. He just didn’t want to scare Dia away.
 
“But what if there is? What if this whole situation with students getting hurt might turn out into something apocalyptic? Wouldn’t you rather tell her now?” Sehun wondered out loud, his gaze to his friend and the book momentarily forgotten in his hands.
 
“Telling her because there is a crisis is not the motivation I was going for-” Myungsoo explained but jumped up when Sehun screamed ‘eureka.’ This made Dia almost fall out of her chair as well as making her wide awake now.
 
“What’s going on?!” the girl yelled, but went silent when she saw the light robe around her. She smiled and silently gave it back to Myungsoo. Her eyes said all the thankful words she couldn’t muster up.
 
“I found it,” Sehun spoke up, interrupting their little moment and showed the book he was holding.
 
---
 
Dia and Myungsoo sprinted through the hallways with fire in their eyes. They couldn’t believe the school did not tell them anything and had hidden something so big from them. So while Sehun went off to find their friends and update them with the new information, the other two had set off to the principal office to confront the woman.
 
Marching in, they were greeted by the principal’s assistant who instantly grinned at them happily.
 
“How can I help?” Chanyeol asked with a grin, but it faltered as they did not stop at his desk.
 
The two students jumped right in the matter and opened the principal’s door.
 
“Hey! You can’t just barge in like that!” the poor assistant yelled to deaf ears and Dia swore she could hear a list of profanities and the complaint of teenagers never listening to their elders.
 
“What is all this commotion about?” Yerin asked patiently although a bit irritated.
 
Myungsoo slammed the book open on the desk, making the woman frown with wonder why he had the book once she read the content. A sigh escaped her lips as she knew only one person who had the key to these books.
 
“You know what’s going on and you’ve been hiding it all this time for us,” Myungsoo started and pointed at a particular part of the book.
 
“These things, nihil, they interfere with our dreams and nightmare. They evaporate them,” Dia explained. “If they do this for all, the humans won’t ever have dreams or nightmares, which means our world would cease to exist. The source won’t exist anymore.”
 
“It has become even more alarming now that they don’t only attack the minds, but also us,” Myungsoo stated and turned the page. “At the beginning of time, there was, however, one of our kind that had protected us all and had sealed this creature.”
 
Dia took a deep breath as she said the next few words. “But not without a sacrifice.”
 
Myungsoo then proceeded to close the book. The image of their fellow students, and his sister, adoptive sister, went through his mind. “If we would look at the situation at hand it would be the most logical thing to sacrifice the weak.”
 
“Which would be Kimmi and Heejin considering they’re still conscious despite being attacked.”
 
“But we won’t let you,” they both said at the same time and looked at each other with a slight smile as they finished the story together.
 
“I suppose you forget I am the principle of this school and my words are absolute,” Yerin stated and before they could protest she continued with a strict tone to shut their mouths. “And that a principle tries to protect her pupils. There is no need for you to stop me, because I will not wish any of you a death.”
 
Myungsoo and Dia stayed silent, trying to let the words sink in.
 
“... Please elaborate.”
 
“As I said, I won’t give up any of my students. Instead, we are going to overcome this dilemma,” Yerin said and smiled as she tried to find something in her drawer. “I didn’t think my own students would turn against me.”
 
“Well, it seemed to become a very dreadful situation,” Dia muttered embarrassed. They had mistrusted the school.
 
“I understand, and I am very happy I have such courageous students as you. It proves well for the future,” she said and found the box she was looking for. “I was about to ask you for your help.”
 
“Our help?” Myungsoo asked curiously and eyed the box. It was the colour of the darkest royal blue that existed in a rectangular shape. She opened it but the lid still covered their eyes from the mysteriousness what was inside it.
 
“From every student really.”
 
With careful precision did she take out the item from its confinement to show an arrow. The colour seemed to have deteriorated and it was left with a rusty brown layer.
 
“With this relic from our ancestor we are able to lock the nihil away, but for it to work we need the cooperation from every student to give the arrow the power it once had. To shoot it though, we need to lure the creature and let it reveal itself to us.”
 
“A decoy,” Myungsoo commented.
 
“Exactly.”
 
“I’ll do it,” Dia said with determination. As she didn’t want anyone to get hurt, she couldn’t help but have curiosity towards this creature so she was going to see it for herself.
 
---
 
“I don’t understand why she lets you act as bait when she doesn’t want anyone to get hurt,” Sehun mumbled as the couple had explained their encounter with the principle.
 
“It’s because I won’t get hurt,” Dia said simply. “I trust it will be fine and we will all live our normal lives again.”
 
“And get our friends back,” Minseok nodded.
 
“So how do you know it will be alright?” Heejin asked curiously, but before anyone could answer, the intercom was activated.
 
‘Good night everyone, please find your way to the auditorium in ten minutes. I repeat once more, please find your way to the auditorium in ten minutes.’
 
“There’s your answer,” Myungsoo said with a smile.
 
---
 
Dia stood at the school gates trying to even her breathing. There was no doubt in her that this plan would succeed. She would go on as usual, exploring for minds and creating a nightmare. It was supposed to attract the nihil as everyone was ordered to stay put which meant there were no dreams or nightmares active in one's mind. She would be the only one.
 
Just moments ago, every teacher and student, the ones who were awake at least, had gathered as they were told. She had forced Heejin to stay put, but she had walked out of the hospital wing by herself in the end. Such a stubborn friend she had. Nevertheless she was grateful, there was a sense of comfort and calm that her friends’ power (and others) would be the ones that would save her in a few moments. It was all collected in one tiny object. It was remarkable for her that such an object could hold so much power from so many people. She made a note to look into it more when she would be back.
 
As the clock struck from the tower, Dia knew it was her cue to go. The teachers would arrive after her with Myungsoo in tow who would shoot the arrow and lock the nihil away from here. She remembered him asking if she was scared that he was the one who would shoot, not one of the professors. She could only smile and softly admit that it only made her more assured if he did it. After all, they did do archery together once in awhile. The girl knew he was good. The boy could improve his posture though.
 
Even if the conversation had been casual, Dia could feel it. The unspoken words hung in the air for both of them that time, because there was still chance it could go wrong but they both chose to ignore that nagging possibility.
 
Stepping away from the school, Dia only realised then how long it had been to be out for field work. A smile grazed her lips as she loved going out, test her imagination and all the plots and twists she could come up with. Letting her creative juices flow, so to say. It was a nice challenge.
 
Darkness had surrounded her as she ventured out and she tried to think of something for this moment. Slowly patches of grass started to grow beneath her feet and her view got obstructed by the many trees surrounding her as the deep blue sky settled above her. No stars were visible and the moon barely gave any light as it was almost time for a new moon again. Dark and aery, the water damps hung in the air and gave a cooling touch to the skin. At least if you weren’t scared or else it would have felt like something was touching you all the while.
 
Hearing the stirring of nature, she assumed the owner of the mind had already gotten afraid, but when she turned around she saw nothing but a blotch of darkness slowly moving. It had no shape as it lifelessly started floating, not even touching the grass anymore. Dia considered herself lucky that it had been touching the grass or she wouldn’t have noticed the nihil so closeby.
 
Dia was entranced so to say. This creature had hurt her friends? She never pictured anything that seemed like slime to be harmful. Then again, she had heard all the stories and wasn’t going to risk experimenting if the nihil actually felt slimy.
 
The darkness started to shape itself silently in what seemed like a cloaked man and Dia had started to feel panicked. Where were the teachers and Myungsoo? Wasn’t this the cue? Did she need to use her strength? But she didn’t even know if it would have any use.
 
Before Dia could think, she had conjured a wall between the two when she noticed it was forming sharp spear like weapons. Her fear had heightened and she started to run. The walls had barely stopped the objects and were already falling apart. Trying desperately to stay calm she thought and thought. She didn’t dare to look back but not hearing the nihil as it floated freaked her out even more.
 
“This is a good moment to come out,” Dia screamed and summoned the first thing she remembered. A loud howl resonated through the forest and she smiled as it worked. She remembered Minseok show her a picture of a wolf. He had seemed fascinated by the creatures that had several myths and legends spread around the world. He had wondered if there were tales of them too.
 
As the girl heard the violent crash behind her, she turned around to see the wolf gnawing on the darkness but it had soon spread along the wolf’s fur as if it was a virus.
 
“This could be one of my new ideas,” she thought out loud but quickly shook it off. Now was not the time as she stood face to face with the creature, the wolf being demolished by it.
 
Dia could run more, but she was certain it would follow her. Now that the girl had witnessed the true power of their threat there was no option other than one. This was it, this should be the moment they would be here or the very instant she needed to say her prayers to whoever could hear her, and help her possibly.
 
With gained courage she pushed her fear aside and remained on her spot, looking at the nihil dead on. The same spears that had pierced through the wall earlier started to take its shape again and she tried hard to just keep breathing.
 
Then in her sideview she could see the shining line of the arrow coming towards them and she could feel relief fill her body but froze just as soon when the dark sharp object darted to her as well. Luckily the arrow hit the target and it spread its rays around the dark creature, shaking violently around it before merging together at the top as if it was now caged inside a prison.
 
Her eyes followed its every movement even though it was too bright for her. But she wouldn’t miss a moment of it and ignored the sting in her eyes. The light slowly closed its gap and in that last moment, she had sworn she had seen the smiling face of Myungsoo before it was one orb of light that dissipated in the air. Was that her regret for life passing by? The possible fact that she could have died without confessing?
 
The girl didn’t have time to think any further as the teachers came out from behind the trees, Myungsoo in tow with the bow in hand. Only when he approached her after giving the bow to one of the teachers did it dawn upon her that it was finally over. It was like his embrace had melted her and she gave in, wrapping her arms around him.
 
“That did shook me up a bit,” Dia admitted softly and buried her face against his shoulder. The pastel cloak didn’t seem to be as bright anymore after that attack but she still closed her eyes. Or maybe it was to relish in his comfort.
 
“I’m sorry we didn’t come earlier,” Myungsoo said apologetically and patted her head.
 
“It’s alright now. We’re safe and we did it, that’s all that matters,” Dia replied with a smile.
 
Upon realisation that the teachers were still with them, they had parted reluctantly. They could still feel each other’s warmth but for the extra contact they had entwined their fingers together as they went back to the academy.
 
It turned out that the rumours were partly true and Hye had gone home to ‘rest’. Her parents had taken care of her body until the teachers had figured it all out. Same went for Yeon and everyone cheered as the students came back healthier.
 
Kimmi and Heejin had gotten dismissed out of the hospital wing and were already jumping about, Kimmi into Minhyuk’s arms while Heejin had bothered Sehun as she was too shy to initiate skinship with Minseok.
 
And she saw it clear as day that this would be the moment, the moment Dia had been waiting for, the moment when Myungsoo would finally confess his so obvious feelings. The girl couldn’t be happier to witness it with her own eyes. Or so she thought at least.
 
“That’s right! Now that all danger is gone,” Myungsoo started and brought her out of the cafeteria as it was rather crowded with the celebration going on.
 
“Well, what is this? Taking me away like that,” Dia teased and smiled satisfied as she could see a slight brush creep on his cheeks and ears. It wasn’t everyday he became flustered because of her.
 
“I’m positive you already know what I am going to say so maybe I should keep quiet,” Myungsoo said amused when he saw the grin on her face.
 
His comment made Dia shut her lips tight and the delight in her eyes ceased just a bit. Maybe if she wouldn’t argue back, he would tell her what she thought he was going to say? Hoped him to say?
 
“So I’m not really good at this… stuff,” Myungsoo started and scratched his neck nervously. “I didn’t want to tell you during all that commotion and danger because of a possibility that something could’ve gone wrong… but partly also because I didn’t have the guts yet.”
 
Dia couldn’t help but smile as he slowly tried to prepare himself for the actual words. She was so happy when she had a confirmation that all these times together, he had felt the same. It wasn’t an assumption anymore. Or was she getting over her head now?
 
Let him finish talking,’ the girl thought to herself.
 
“I wanted to say I like you and I’m serious about you, but it’s not going so well,” he mumbled embarrassed.
 
“You just did,” Dia said pleasantly and daringly stepped closer to him.
 
“I just did,” Myungsoo realised and smiled, holding both of her hands. “I like you.”
 
“This mean we are together now, right? A couple?”
 
“Pretty much,” he replied with a grin and she couldn’t help but do the same.
 
They both didn’t know how they needed to act just after a confession and a change of status. But they would figure it out together. For now they knew it was awkward but exciting, it was cold sweat but tingling warmth, it was love.

 
--BONUS--
 
“Your children are waiting,” Myungsoo said and kissed her softly to calm her nerves.
 
Dia smiled and pulled away as she once again looked at the door. She had been nervous and excited for this moment to happen. Deciding to just go for it, she gave Myungsoo one last hug before opening the door.
 
The woman could feel the sheer excitement as she saw all the curious faces, some nervous, some excited. She never thought she’d be back at school again but here she was, standing instead of sitting at one of the tables. All the different colours of their cloaks entranced her still, even though she had seen them all her life. The third kind, however, was very rare. But she would make sure the child would not feel left out. Not in her class!
 
“Good morning,” Dia greeted excited. “So welcome to Conscientia Academy! I am Dia and I will be your professor for Magnification.”
 
“Magnification is a preparatory course for the field work you’d have to do later in the year. You have to be able to fill one’s mind wholly, but for now we’ll try to fill the whole shoebox,” Dia said with a smile and showed a shoebox that was cut from the side.
 
In an instant the inside of the box was changed to a living room, and then there was a big wolf sniffing around. It was like a small cinema.
 
“So let’s start, shall we?”
 
 

Fin.


Messages:

Dia~~~~!! Not so surprise xd I hope you'll like it~ it was so difficult because I always tell and show you everything and now I couldn't do it xd I hope you'll like it~ I had a lot of fun writing it. Love you~~~ ❤️o❤️