O. A Coincidence

My Ai

At least the commute here isn’t stressful unlike in some cities he’s been to.

The biting cold is welcoming. The cold gusts of wind that blow past are a nice change from the harsh humid tropical climate of his previous destination.

He stands at a bus stop, hands in his coat pockets, waiting for a bus to take him to the apartment he rented out.

From the corner of his eye, he could see the person struggling is struggling with a big map. He laughs inwardly. He remembers the time he was like that. Relying on drawings and lines on a glossy paper. His attention only on the map and never on the sceneries and views that were in front of him. He was too busy trying not to get lost that he lost the opportunity to admire the sights firsthand. A few trips after, he ditched maps and relied on his sense of direction and his skills in communicating with locals. Thankfully, they were enough.

He wants to tell the person next to him who is still fighting with his map to do the same. But he didn’t want to seem creepy.

A strong breeze knocks the map from the person’s hands and smacks right at his face.

“Oh . I’m sorry.” The person says meekly.

He isn’t even mad. He finds it amusing.

“No it’s fine.”

He watches as the person puts away the map and grabs his phone.

“Are you going somewhere?” He asks.

The person gazes at him and he did everything he could to look unfazed. The person has a strange aura about him. It’s inviting. Warm. Friendly. It made his heart beat faster.

The person replies immediately with an address. Oh. He knows where that is.

He chuckles, “Oh. Just take the bus that stops here. The place you’re headed is only about seven stops away from here.”

The person nods and he can’t help but smile at them. He looks at him a bit longer. The person seems...familiar?

He clears his throat and continues “I’ll be riding this bus too so I’ll tell you when you get off.”

“Thank you.”

He crosses his arms to keep from getting cold. He glances a bit at the person next to him. They weren’t wearing thick clothes. Aren’t they feeling chilly? His concern grows and he contemplates giving his scarf.

But the person speaks all of a sudden “Are all people in Seoul this nice?”

He smiles and looks at the ground, remembering his past travels “I’m not from here, but I’ve been here before. Let’s just say not all people are as approachable. But that’s true in all parts of the world...not just here.”

“So you’ve been to all parts of the world?”

The snarky tone surprises him but he doesn’t take offense. This person can fire back wittily. He respects that.

“Some of it.”

The bus is a block away.

“Where are you from?” He asks out of curiosity.

He senses the other person’s hesitation. Oh no. Was he being too forward? Was that not an appropriate question to ask? Of course it might not be. He is, after all, just a stranger in Seoul who happens to be waiting for the same bus at the same time.

By coincidence.

Maybe.

He isn’t trying to be creepy but he guessed he had that effect. He wouldn’t be surprised if the person no longer answered.

But they did.

“China.”

His heart races ten-fold. Never has he met someone else from China during his travels abroad. They were mostly locals or other nationalities. This excites him further. Plus the fact that the conversation hasn’t ended yet makes him giddier.

“No way! I’m from China too!”

He can’t keep his mouth from talking. He’s too happy at this encounter.

“Guangdong! Do you live near there? Oh wow, this is cool. I’ve never met someone else from China before!”

The other person, for the first time, smiles back. His knees almost go weak.

The bus arrives.

“Come on!” The adrenaline courses through him as he steps on the bus. He turns around and decides to give away the last bit of information he thinks this person should know.

“I’m Junhui by the way.” He extends a hand.

“Oh. Minghao.” The person answers back.

His name. It’s beautiful.

Minghao takes his hand.

And his world explodes.