X. A Stranger

My Ai

He fumbles with a mega sized map of the city while at the bus stop. He has the address of his next destination. He was instructed how to get there. Still, he’s gazing at all the curving lines and various labels and arrows trying to figure out how to get where he had to be.

He curses under his breath. He couldn't make sense of all the information on the glossy paper. He almost gave up and decided to call his aunt. But no.

He is on this trip to find something. How is he supposed to find that something if he couldn’t even make sense of a damned map?

The wind blows past and the map slips from one of his hands. It whips to a person standing next to him.

“Oh . I’m sorry.” He’s too surprised to even look at who he hit.

The person laughs, “No it’s fine.”

He stows the map away, embarrassed. He angrily grabs his phone and dials.

“Are you headed somewhere?” The person asks.

He lifts his attention from his phone and hesitates. He’s taken aback by the person’s question. Is he trying to be helpful?

The stranger smiles at him and waits for a response.

Almost like a reflex, he blurts out the address in a hurried slur of words. His brain is frazzled. He wasn’t used to strangers being this nice.

The stranger smiles again and chuckles, “Oh. Just take the bus that stops here. The place you’re headed is only about seven stops away from here.”

He nods openmouthedly and tries to digest the information. He’s too distracted by the kind stranger with kind eyes.

“I’ll be riding this bus too so I’ll tell you when you get off.” The stranger adds.

“Thank you.” He manages to say. He had to look away from the stranger and pretend to be looking for the bus that he’s supposed to ride in.

The stranger just smiles again and crosses his arms.

“Are all people in Seoul this nice?” He asks shyly.

“I’m not from here, but I’ve been here before. Let’s just say not all people are as approachable. But that’s true in all parts of the world...not just here.”

“So you’ve been to all parts of the world?”

“Some of it.”

The bus is a block away.

“Where are you from?” The stranger asks.

Should he answer truthfully? This stranger might be dangerous. But would a dangerous person gladly offer help when you least expect it? Would a dangerous person smile so innocently and look at you with soft eyes like they were a friend of yours for a long time?

Probably yes.

But that didn’t stop him.

“China.” At least it wasn’t specific.

The stranger’s eyes widens a fraction. His mouth shapes into an “o” and he covers his mouth.

The bus is near.

“No way! I’m from China too!”

His heart skips many beats. That’s an unlikely coincidence. Is this stranger lying?

“Guangdong! Do you live near there? Oh wow, this is cool. I’ve never met someone else from China before!” The stranger rambles on.

He couldn’t have made that up. He’s honest. And very excited. He can’t help but smile at the stranger’s joy.

The bus arrives.

“Come on!” The stranger gets on. He follows.

“I’m Junhui by the way.” The stranger extends a hand.

His name. It’s beautiful. “Oh. Minghao.” He answers back and takes Junhui’s hand.

And his entire world explodes.