Chapter 2

THE DOORWAY

Jongdae was rolling on the floor gasping in pain after I kicked him.  His friends were howling in laughter at his predicament.  Only one came over to help him off the floor. He was a gorgeous man with cat-like eyes. 

 

I’m still confused as to what’s going on and where I am.  I am only sure of one thing.  I am not dead yet.  Even though I think I've died and gone to heaven, there’s no way I am this lucky.  I am surrounded by eight gorgeous men, including the one whose nut I just kicked for trying to cop a feel.  And for saying I am his.  I am an independent woman and nobody owns me.

 

“Sophie?” Jongdae whined in pain on the bed.  I was glaring at him but I did feel guilty.  

 

“Well? Are you all just going to stand there laughing? Somebody get ice for his balls!” I instructed them in exasperation.  Kids.  I'm standing in a room filled with kids.

 

“Sophie, wae?” Jongdae once again whined noisily in bed.  Cat-eyed man was laughing silently and said he was responsible for the ice in this house so he will get it.  Don't know what that means but everyone just left all of a sudden when he herded everybody out.

 

“Dae, I'm sorry it was instinct.  I don't like being hugged or being told they own me.  I didn't mean to hurt you.  I swear.” I gingerly sat down beside him in bed and lightly patted his back.  He was curled up in a fetal position but fast as lightning, he tugged my hand unbalancing me so that I ended up face down on the bed.  He gave my two light smacks with his hand before collapsing back in a giggling mess on the bed.

 

“Oh god! We’re back to being five-year olds.” He laughed at himself.  Apparently he was not as hurt as I thought.  

 

“Speak for yourself.” I muttered while rubbing my abused posterior.  He didn't hurt me, but it was surprising.  I can't decide whether I should be angry at him for the -slapping or moan for more.

 

He surprised me when he suddenly rolled over gave me a quick peck on the lips and jumped out of the bed.  He opened a closet door and grabbed another hoodie.  This one is thicker, more oversized and black.  He grinned ily at me indicated that I should turn around.  I looked at him blankly, my mind still frozen in shock after he kissed me.  Jongdae shrugged and pulled off the hoodie he is currently wearing.  I gasped and quickly looked away but not before the image of his six-pack abs and sculpted chest was burned on my retinas.  No shame at all.  I think he deliberately tried to show off his body to me.

 

My eyes were still closed when I felt gentle fingers cupping my face. I opened my eyes to his smiling face and I naturally smiled back.

 

“Not that I wouldn't gladly spend the rest of the day locked in this room with my girlfriend but this is a boys dorm and I am a gentleman.  Do you want to go for a walk?” He asked so sweetly while he was absentmindedly rubbing his thumb on my lower lip.  When did he become so y?  I nodded in agreement.

 

He pulled me up from the bed and saw I had my sneakers on and frowned slightly before shrugging and leading me out of the room.  We walked a short hallway before coming out to a living room where seven men were trying too hard to look nonchalant.  One was covering his face pretending to read but his book was upside down, another was clicking away madly at a game console but his eyes was turned towards Jongdae.  His game was on pause.  

 

“We’re going out!” Jongdae waved his hand hastily in their direction moving fast while he dragged me quickly behind him.  I barely managed to say goodbye.

 

“Dae! Where are we going.  Slow down. Dae…….Yah! OPPA!” I ended up yelling at him as he continued to drag me with him.  We got inside the elevator of the building by the time I was yelling Oppa at him. He chuckled and pulled me to his side.  He put an arm around my waist and nuzzled his nose behind my ear.

 

“I missed you.  So much.” He whispered in my ear.  My heart gave a sudden thump of excitement both at his words and the tiny kisses he was peppering on my face.  But still, essentially he’s a stranger to me.  Even though his arms felt like home.  His kisses like water after the drought.  I can't let him kiss me senseless.  I felt his lips hovering over mine and shockingly I felt my own parting in anticipation.

 

Seconds after his lips touched mine, the elevator doors opened and a dimpled man looked up smiling but dropped his gaze blushing in embarrassment at our obvious intimacy.  Jongdae groaned in frustration but pulled away his lips from mine.  

 

“Gimme a break! Can't a man kiss his girlfriend?” Jongdae groaned leaning his forehead over mine.  I wanted to groan too but his words bothered me.

 

“You have a girlfriend?” Something was pinching in my chest.

 

“I’m holding her right now.” He grinned, happy once again.

 

“You mean me?” I asked in surprise.  

 

“Who else?  I’ve loved nobody else but you since we were kids.” He was smiling and happy while my mind was boggling at his words.

 

“Dae, uh, I don't know how to tell you this but one us is crazy.” I whispered to him.  

 

“Must be me.  Who else would wait this long for a childhood sweetheart?”  He whispered back.  “By the way, how did you get inside the chest?” He was back to talking normally.  He can't seem to take his eyes off me. Neither can I take my eyes off him.

 

“I don't know.  I was at grandma’s house one minute, fell down, opened my eyes and you were there.” I shrugged my shoulders in confusion.  He frowned slightly but didn't care.  We ended up walking along Han river.  

 

I would like to say I hated it but he was the perfect boyfriend.  It's too soon as far as I am concerned to call him my boyfriend.  He kept saying it's just perfect time to call me his girlfriend.  He laced his fingers with mine and walked leisurely with me.  We stopped at a convenience store to buy some snacks and warm ramyeon noodles.  I liked sweets and was looking in the candy aisle when he came back with a stupid grin. He bought two ring pops.  He said it was our couple’s ring.  I laughed at his silliness and gamely wore the ring.  

 

We walked, talked some more, catching up on the lost years, we ended up sitting down near the river edge to watch the lights on bridge.  He sat really close beside me grinning like an idiot.  I smiled back thinking that I am falling way too fast for this man.  He leaned in to kiss me and closed my eyes in anticipation.  Then midnight struck and all the lights on the bridge and the ones near us turned off.

 

I opened my eyes and I was inside my grandma's hope chest once again.  I hurriedly pushed it open to look for Jongdae.  I was back in my grandma's dusty room.  

 

 

I was back in California.