Chapter 3

THE DOORWAY

Did that just really happen?  Did I knock myself out and dream of everything?  I pulled myself out of the chest and looked up to the large hole in the ceiling where my body fell through.  My lips were still tingling from Jongdae’s kiss.  I’ve gone crazy.  I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.  My hair snagged on something.  Carefully I pulled off my hand from my hair.  There I found the ring pop Jongdae put on my finger.  

 

So it wasn't a dream.  What the hell?

 

“Sophie! Sophie! Are you alright?” My mom rushed in looking for me.

 

“Yeah mom!” Again my eyes were glued back to ring.

 

“Oh my God!  What happened to the ceiling?  Why is there a hole?” My mom gasped when she finally noticed the hole in the ceiling.

 

“Floorboards were rotting. I fell down when I was running.” I muttered.

 

“Oh no!  Are you hurt?” My mom frantically looked for visible injuries. 

 

“I’m fine, mom.  I fell on Granma’s hope chest.” I quietly replied.

 

“Are you sure you’re fine.  You seem quiet.  That’s not like you.” Mom tensely brushed my hair away from my face. To tuck it behind my ear but she suddenly froze.

 

“Hon?  Is there something you forgot to tell me?” Mom was looking at me funny.

 

“Not that I know of.  Why?” I finally glanced up away from the ring pop.

 

“Honey, I know a hickey when I see one.  It’s small but that’s a fresh hickey right there!”  My mom was chuckling as she pointed at a spot just below my ear.

 

“Bwo? Eodie?” I gasped without realizing I started speaking in Hangul once again.  I rushed to look at the vanity my grandmother had in her room.  I strained my neck looking at it and sure enough Jongdae did leave a hickey on my neck.  I hid a smile when I found it.

 

“Sophie, you know you don't have to hide him from me right?  I’m guessing he is Chinese? Japanese?” My mom seemed a little too pleased that I might have a boyfriend.

 

“Korean mom.  He’s Korean.” I sighed in reply.

 

“Tell him I want to meet him soon.” Mom chuckled and ruffled my hair before she left the room.  Hell.  How do I explain that I got fresh hickeys from a guy I met twenty years ago as kids and lives in another continent.  I’m going to get locked up in the mental ward.

 

Three months later, I managed to convince even myself that I knocked myself unconscious when I fell down and the hickey was a bruise.  The ring pop was something I bought and forgot, and Jongdae was an imaginary friend that morphed into my ideal boyfriend in my head.

Slowly I resumed my normal life, we cleaned, fixed up grandma’s house and sold it.  I kept the chest in her memory.  I placed it in my room and used it as storage for my winter blankets and jackets.

 

 

Soon enough, I was back to my normal life and I was going about my business when my boss asked me to work on a special project in New York.  I was excited since this meant promotion for me.  I was to coordinate the hotel rooms for some musicians and their entourage.  Fair enough.  I will deal mostly with an advanced group.  It helps that all of a sudden I seem to understand Hangul.  I can’t read it.  Nor can I speak fluently.  But I can understand enough to get things done.

 

I got things finalized two days before the group arrived and my boss suggested I stay around the area in case there’s a hiccup in the plans.  He gave me paid time off to enjoy the city plus accommodations.  All in return for having my phone on and charged 24/7.

 

I went sight seeing, and shopping.  I was standing on a crosswalk debating on which musical to see in broadway when I heard my name being called.  I looked around but couldn't find who was calling my name. Must be hearing things.  I walked briskly and decided. To go see “CHICAGO”.  Because I was cold, I walked fast, blending into the crowd.  I dived into the warmth of the theater and made a beeline for the bathrooms.

 

 

“Chen is on the other side of the street.” Suho was waiving him over while trying to look inconspicuous despite the camera trained on his face.

 

Jongdae pretended he was at a shoe store looking awhile when in truth, he saw a woman he thought was Sophie and chased her down.  He feels like he is slowly losing his mind.  Just when he thought he’s gotten over her, he saw a glimpse of her and started running.

 

He stared blankly at the stage his mind lost thinking of Sophie.  During the break, he caught another glimpse of a woman that looked like his Sophie and he squeezed his eyes shut, clenching his jaw and fist, willing himself not to go looking for her.  They finished their tour of New York and Mexico City.  They we're checking in their hotel in California when he caught another glimpse of someone who looked like her.  He rubbed his eyes in exhaustion.  He’s hallucinating now.  Great!  

 

He was chatting amiably with Xiumin when the elevator doors opened, and let out a woman who had her eyes glued on some papers in her hand and her phone stuck to her ear.  He kept an arm out to let her pass and keep the doors open.  She ignored them.  He smiled at her rudeness. 

 

“Thank You!”  He whispered just as the doors were closing.  

 

She dropped her phone and whipped around.  Jongdae was shocked to see Sophie staring back at him with disbelief.  He was startled and froze on spot.  The elevator doors closed just as he was scrambling to get to her, shouting for her to wait for him.

 

 

I have lost it.  I am now hallucinating even when I am awake. I heard him.  I saw him.  But it can't be him.  Not my Jongdae.  I rushed to a nearby taxi stand and gave my address.  There I went straight to my room and hid under the blankets.  Tomorrow I will go see the doctor.

 

 

Jongdae finally managed to stumble out on the fifth floor.  He nearly ripped out the exit doors and jumped on most of stairs railing in his haste to get down to the lobby.  Xiumin was desperately trying to calm him down. He arrived in a skid but the lobby was empty save for the receptionist and the doorman.  He screamed in frustration.  He was sure he saw Sophie.

 

“Hyung! You saw her too, right?” He pleaded with Xiumin desperately.

 

“I did.  I swear I did.  But she is not here and you're making a scene.  Let’s go up and talk about this. Huh?”  Xiumin was trying to keep him quiet.

 

EXO finished their tour with nothing else happening.  They all went back to the dorms and collapsed in utter exhaustion.  Jongdae opened his room and found Sophie sleeping inside his hope chest which had the lid open precariously. He dropped his bags and rushed to her, startling her awake.  The lid dropped down closed just as she clapped eyes on him.

 

Jongdae nearly ripped the lid off the hinges to get her out.  When he opened it. Sophie was gone.  What the is going on?