CHAPTER 1

THE DOORWAY

I was cleaning my grandmother’s attic when I felt it.  It was a sudden shaking that rattled the floors and shook the dust from the high beams of the room.  I started running for the stairs when I felt the rotted board on the floor crumble on my feet.  It was too late for me.  I fell down and my last thought as I saw myself falling straight into my grandmother’s hope chest at the foot of her bed, that I hope they find my body and don’t let my grandma’s large hope chest be my coffin.

 

I closed my eyes waiting for the impact that will surely shatter my bones, break my neck and kill me.  Instead I heard the cover of the chest opening, then darkness and warmth surrounded me.  

 

I was falling, and falling, and falling and it never seemed to end.  I opened my eyes briefly but couldn't see anything in the darkness.  I was thinking that this is what it must feel to die.  I hope my grandma was not frightened and alone like I am right now.

 

I landed with an omph on something soft.  It was still dark but I can feel something soft surrounding me.  It smelled like roses and mothballs.  I was inside my grandma’s hope chest.  Thank God i’m alive, I suddenly prayed.  I couldn't feel the shaking of the house anymore so the earthquake must have stopped.  I push the cover to open it, knowing from experience that it was light enough to open from the inside.  It was my favorite hiding spot when I was a kid.

 

The lid was heavy like something was on top of it.  I tried kicking it but I could not bend my knees or hip enough to give it any force.  I screamed in frustration at this.  I was alone in the house.  My mother left to buy groceries and cleaning supplies so we can air out grandma’s house.  It will be hours before somebody realizes i’m here. Dammit!

 

I kicked the lid again in anger and ended up stubbing my toe.  I yelled at the pain which I ended in a muffled scream when the lid suddenly opened.  A young man was looking at me strangely.  He looked slightly surprised at finding me inside.  

 

“Sophie?”  He asked tentatively while holding out a hand to help me up from inside the chest.

 

I reached out my hand to his and he grasped it with warmth and strength.  It was an electrifying touch that was both familiar and strange.  

 

“Dae-Dae?” I asked tentatively.  This can’t be happening.  I must be dead after all.  Baby Dae-dae was my childhood imaginary friend.  We played around a lot when i lived with my grandma that one whole year that my father worked overseas and couldn't take me with them.  

 

He blushed but started talking right away.  It was strange how we always felt familiar and at home with each other.  I just now realized he is actually speaking a different language.  I wonder why I could understand him when I never learned another language but English.  I always thought that those words I used to babble in the home made videos grandma sent to my parents were just baby talk about my imaginary friend.  I am actually talking in mispronounced Korean.  Huh! That’s strange.

 

“Sophie?  What are you doing in there?” He asked as he helped me stand up. He closed the lid and we both sat down on top of the chest.

 

“Dad-dae?” I still can’t believe i am seeing him.  I poked his cheek but it was different.  He was my Dae-dae but not quite him either.  He is the adult version of my best friend.  He looked different.  His cheeks and jawline were more chiseled, gone was the baby fat and was now replaced by lean muscle.  He was cute when we were kids but now his entire being screams y.  

 

“No.  Not Dae-Dae anymore.  That’s a childhood nickname.  Call me Jongdae, or Chen, or better yet call me Oppa.”  He laughed as he removed the finger that i was still poking his cheek with.

 

“Huh? Why?” I asked bewildered.

 

“Because I am still older than you, you brat!” He laughed before ruffling my hair just like he used to when we were young.

 

“Yah! Leave my hair alone!” I ducked my head to avoid his large hand.  That’s when I noticed how pristine the floor looked.  I remembered shaking my head at the footprints I left in the dust when I was inspecting my grandma’s room.  I stiffened and stood up suddenly.  

 

Where the hell am I?

“Yah! What are you doing?”  Jongdae asked when he saw me twirling a hundred and sixty degrees in bewilderment.  He looked around trying to figure out what I was looking at.

 

“Why does heaven look like your room?” I asked him curiously.

 

“What? You’re still strange when you talk you know that?  And may I ask what you are doing in my room?  I haven’t seen you in years and this is where I find you?” Jongdae was mock-glaring at me but was failing miserably since he seems to find something amusing.  

 

“Calling my room heaven is pretty original.  Never heard that one before.”  He smirked as he said it.  I glared back at him not really sure what he finds so amusing.

 

“Well I’m not sure If i am in heaven or hell since I just died.  I assumed naturally that my soul went to heaven since I tried to live a good life.  Stop laughing you idiot!  What the hell is so funny?” I wanted to smack his handsome face.  That or crawl all over him and kiss him.  So this is what I am reduced to. Huh!

 

“Never thought the day would come that you would admit you liked me.  Didn’t take you as a stalker or a fan either.”  He laughed happily before he jumped up and hugged me.  He easily lifted me and twirled me around and around like he used to when we were kids.

 

“Wait, what?” I gasped but started laughing when we fell down on a heap on the floor.  Landing was not so soft this time.  I landed on top of him on the floor and despite his leanness, Jongdae was solid muscle under that oversized hoodie he was wearing.

 

“Ouch!”  I hurt my hand when we landed awkwardly on the floor.  It was a mild sting but I had to shake it off to lessen the sudden pain.

 

“Let me see.  I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to hurt you.” He was now frowning and seemed anxious as he tried in vain to grab my injured hand.

 

“It’s nothing.  Don’t worry.  I got it.” I tried hiding my hand behind me but he was already sitting up on the floor and he was reaching for my hand.  

 

The door flew open with a bang and I was startled out of my wits when I met seven pairs of eyes that seems to be rounded in amazement.  Seven young men were in a heap on the doorway.  It was obvious that they were leaning on the door that’s why it flew open.  I barely managed to swallow a scream at their sudden appearance and automatically hid my face on Jongdae’s shoulder.

 

“Chen!  You shouldn’t sneak your girlfriend into your room.  You’ll be in big trouble.”  A rather handsome but awkward looking giant untangled himself from the pile and started helping the others up while he surreptitiously avoided looking at me.  This is awkward.  I just now realized that I am in Jongdae’s lap, I have my head buried in on his shoulder, and his arms had automatically tightened around me when I jumped at the sudden commotion.

 

“Well everyone this is Sophie.  Sophie this are my group members.”  Jongdae untangled us and helped me up.  I gave a rather awkward bow and greeting.  What the hell is going on?

 

“Your Sophie, Hyung?” A handsome young man who was only slightly shorter than the giant elf who just spoke to us asked in disbelief.

 

“My Sophie.” Jongdae nodded in confirmation.  He seemed a little too happy when he said it.

 

“Bwo?  Since when was I yours?” I demanded at him.

 

“Since you fell in my arms when you were five years old.  And considering you just fell in my arms again and finally admitted you liked me too.  That means your mine and I am keeping you.”  He smirked at me again.

 

“Are you dead or do you want to die?” I asked him.  I’m pretty sure murder is not allowed in heaven so I’m going to hell after all.

 

He laughed happily and enveloped me in his arms once again.  “You’re the best birthday present ever!”

 

I kicked him in the nut.