SLICE OF LIFE ⚝ Jobs and Work Places

⚝Spectacular Cupcake!

How about a story about peeps in a working environment?

Here I am with the first one and already it isn’t one of the listed genres lol. They will come soon though, I promise! Just thought I'd start out with a nice and simple one to kick things off.

Anyway, recently I happened to check out the anime ‘New Game’ which is about a group of women working together at a gaming company. It mainly focuses on the character development team, and Aoba, the main lead, as she had just graduated highschool and began her adult life working there. It was a nice and refreshing watch for me, considering the other recent action based anime I watched around it lol (aka Attack on Titan and Hero Academia).

New Game kinda inspired me and made me want to write something like it. A relaxing slice of life style comedy. I myself actually already have planned something along those lines because of a dream I had a long time ago, plus a couple others I believe, so that’s also where I got this idea from. So, here I am suggesting the same to you!

Why not give a story about peeps and their daily lives at a place they work at? Or, do you need options for a job to have your character(s) work at on the side? And try not to just go with the typical café! Nothing wrong with it, but it definitely is like a standard go to, and I see many peeps use it, so why not give a different work environment a try? Here are some to help you all out with:

  • Restaurants // The types of food/drink places you could go with are fancy, fast food, a bar, a diner, bistro, one with a buffet, tabletop cooking, or something small like a bunch of food trucks or a snack bar. As for what type of food, there’s BBQ, seafood and sushi, Italian, pizza, noodles/ramen, exotic, soup, etc. I’m sure there are many more choices!
  • Sweet Treats // Continuing on with the idea of a place to grab something nice to consume, we can’t forget stuff like ice cream parlors and frozen yogurt stores. There’s also bakeries and candy shops as well. I’m not one for it, but there is also stuff like the cheesecake factory too.
  • Entertainment // How about peeps working jobs at frequently attended fun places like the movie theaters, a bowling alley, a skating rink (both rollerblading and ice skating), an arcade, an amusement park, or a zoo. Hell, write about peeps who work in a circus!
  • Entertain+ // Moving on to another form of entertainment, have peeps work at places like music stores, and maybe someone likes blasting tunes throughout the store loudly, or an instrument music store. Anime and manga shops could be another good one, with all types of figurines and body pillows for your otaku needs! Then of course we have book stores (you can add this on to a café and combined them). A toy shop or trinket store is another option.
  • Teaching // Write about peeps doing some form of teaching or watching over youngsters. At a university, a highschool, a middle school, and elementary – differences depending on the grades and class. Tutoring for fellow students? Or maybe do a daycare story. Specific class oriented stuff out of a school, like a dance building!
  • Big Complex // Have a bunch of friends, maybe in highschool, get their first jobs at a complex like a Mall where there are tons of stores and then they can go find each other when on their breaks, just chillin around the mall and shopping there themselves.
  • Electronics // Have them work at a store that sells electric based stuff, kinda like Apple, Sprint, Verizon, etc. Phones, laptops, computers (possibly with peeps coming in to have them build), tablets, keyboards, mouses, and maybe even gaming systems?
  • Services // You could try places that have a bit of a more serious atmosphere (that you don’t have to make series if you don’t want to) like the police force, detectives, lawyers, at an airport or on the plane, a hospital or some type of medical clinic (pliss make sure you know your stuff first and do proper research on medical related things, as stated by MissMinew). Therapy of some kind.
  • Leisure // A place where peeps usually go to for relaxin and maxin purposes. At a hotel or at a spa. Maybe a country club? If it is during the season of summer you can make your characters lifeguards or something at the beach or pool.
  • Clothing // A store having to do with pieces of clothing or accessories. General clothing, ones designated specifically for men and women, ones dedicated to a specific crowd of people. Shoe store, hat, casual wear, fancy stuff, thrift shop, you name it!
  • Appearance // Alongside clothing, there’s also stuff like tattoo parlors and shops that you can get piercings at. Also, hair salons.
  • Company // We’ve got places like standard business, working in an office. Consultancy firm? Go with video games or maybe fashion, focusing on peeps as designers or as models. Or, even better, having your characters start their own business!
  • Difference // You can have your characters work at the same job, or have them working at different jobs, and then maybe they all come together late at night to talk about their days, struggles, customers and all that over some drinks or something.
  • Standard // Then we have the typical work settings of basic everyday stores. Grocery, furniture, hardware, markets, sporting goods, dealerships, stuff like that.
  • Adult // If you wanted to go rated with it, you can choose something like a shop or a stripper club. You could also just do some type of regular, non-rated club.
  • Extra // Here are a few more that I wasn’t sure how to label and thought of. A gym, pet shop, floral shop, wedding planners, construction, etc.

As you can see, there are many other places to have your characters work at, depending on what your story is about and if you are going to be having certain peeps work somewhere in your story.

Some references and examples for more inspiration:

  • 6TEEN – A cartoon show that used to be on Cartoon Network about six teenage friends, three boys and three girls, and their daily lives as they worked at the mall together. I loved this show. Jude was that dude! And Nikki was the coolest girl of the three.
  • The Suit Life of Zack & Cody – A TV show about twins and their misadventure in the hotel they live in. Maddie, Mister Mosby, and their mom Carrie are a few that worked there.
  • The Office – Just as the name obviously states, it’s about peeps who work in an office. I don’t watch this show, but I’m familiar with it, so I wrote it down.
  • Sam & Cat – A show from Nickelodeon about two girls who had a babysitting job, though they didn’t seem to be the best at times.
  • Gugudan – When they debuted and they put out their trailers and teasers for their concept, it showed them in a theatre with different job roles assigned to them.
  • Secret – In their ‘I’m In Love’ music video, you can see that the concept looks to be therapists and therapy.
  • AOA – In their ‘Short Hair’ music video, it shows the girls dressed up as different occupations. We have a police officer, office worker, stewardess, mechanic, ice cream shop, hair salon, and cheerleader (could use teaching here).
  • SNUPER – In their ‘Platonic Love’ music video, they are shown at a roller skating place.
  • TTS – In their ‘Holler’ music video, it shows the girls in a hotel setting, and it seems like they even run it and most likely own it too.
  • Super Junior M – In their ‘Swing’ music video, it has the boys all in an office setting, and they seem to fool around.
  • AMKU – In their ‘How People Move’ music video, it depicts the brother and sister duo at a toy shop, where toys come to life.
  • Clothing – An example of two clothing stores directed towards a specific audience are Hot Topic and Victoria Secret. Victoria Secret being known as a lingerie story for women, and Hot Topic is a place well known for its dark and gothic like atmosphere. It’s my only favorite place to shop at, aside from buying clothes online.
  • Standard – Of course I’m sure you all know, but places like Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Giant Eagle, Sears, Bed Bath & Beyond, ’s Sporting Goods, etc.

Other genres and elements that I also see working well with this is FRIENDSHIP and COMEDY (+CRACK or CHAOS), or possibly some other ones depending on whatever it is you may be going for with it. Like with the AKMU example, if you wanted to have stuff come to life, that would rule into Fantasy! Take this and make it your own!

If anybody else has something they want to add to this page, like another work environment or example, pliss go ahead and tell me!

If you decide to use it any of this, let me know and I’ll add it to the list of created stories!

COMMENTS BROUGH TO US BY YOU PEEPS!

MissMinew - But I have a small plea - don't do hospitals or medical clinics if you have zero knowledge of how it works and isn't willing to research a lot. Nothing more frustrating than a story set in a medical environment that screws it up completely. ; _ ;  Also also - you can go realistic with this, but you can take /any/ of these to a sci-fi or fantasy genre by making them non-humans wherever they work, agents from the future on the look-out for something important, secret agents on a mission going undercover, vampires hiding from the government or whatever you want really. ^-^ Add a little spice to the characters and you'll not only have a story where you can add comedy in a realistic, everyday setting (and I mean, please milk reality when it comes to these as much as you can, srsly) but you can also add that little drama, that little thing that truly sets it apart! Also - your characters can also work as vets in a vet clinic. That's a fun occupation to write about! ^-^

KeitMeg - Actually, there are plenty of stacked up medical info going around, especially on Tumblr, summarized and to the point. I write Hurt!SamWinchester on AO3 all the time and when I look in the right places, I find my answers (what to do in case of a seizure, or what to watch out for in cases of a concussion...). People just need to do a little digging, 's all.