SUPERNATURAL ⚝ Creatures and Beasts of All Kinds

⚝Spectacular Cupcake!

Werewolves and Vampires aren’t the only supernatural creatures to exist ya know!

It’s definitely no secret that when it comes to writing out stories featuring some sort of beings that isn’t human, the two most popular ones are our big furry companions and blood sparklers. And I am just as much of a fan of wolfs and vamps as anybody else, but from what I seen, some peeps seem to be getting kinda tired of seeing them all the time when there are tons of other types to work with. Not only that, but especially since a quite a bit of stories using them are similar in the elements that they use? Don’t quote me on that but that’s what it seems like from my observation.

I haven’t read much when it comes to werewolves in comparison to vampires, but I do notice that a majority of them have to do with ABO, aka Alpha, Beta, and Omega dynamics. And something that I feel some peeps have voiced is that they don’t like how elements and interactions between Alphas and Omegas are portrayed, mainly with how Omegas are always shown as the weaker ones or at the VERY bottom of the chain like they really are just nothing.

Then, when it comes to vampire fics, I don’t know about others, but to me, sometimes when I read stories about vampires, I feel like there isn’t even that much of a focus on them, ya know? Like, sometimes I kinda feel like peeps make vampire fics just for the sake of wanting their character(s) to be vampires, and that’s it. And like, there’s nothing wrong with that being your reason, choosing to have characters to be a certain way or whatever, but I don’t know, they don’t fully get to me. And then usually the romance, typical between a human and vampire, is the main focus and the supernatural bits on the side.

I say, if you wanna do something with wolfs, why not try and throw away the ABO dynamics entirely? Or, if you want to use Alpha, Beta, and Omega titles, try and use a bunch of other ones too! A wolf hierarchy and pack can include many positions and ranks. Say, like, include Deltas, Zetas, Gammas, Sigmas, Upsilons and more! And in terms of vampires, I just don’t want to much focus on romance lol (this is just me complaining honestly), I want to see cool vampire stuff yo! I’m not sure what suggestion to give, but what about you peeps! Anybody got some advice or suggestions for vampires, pliss let me know!

So, because these guys already get plenty of love (or maybe a little too much) here I am to suggest to you all some other types of supernatural and legendary creatures, beasts, and beings in general that you can use for your stories! Whether you make your main characters them, or an enemy they face, or want to use them in some other way.

Shoutout to MissMinew by the way! The reason for getting the idea to put this chapter out next was because of a comment I saw her make on someone’s blog post the other day, asking what type of AUs were underrated. So, in a way, this one is dedicated to you~

Let’s get to that list! (Note, that a lot of these descriptions are me basically summarizing info from things like Wiki pages)

  • ALIEN – We tend to associate aliens with other worldly beings, usually ones not from planet Earth and somewhere else in the galaxy, as they are a foreign being from another place. When you think about it that way, humans could technically be aliens to other lifeforms as well to other planets.
  • AMAZONS – They are known from Greek mythology as a tribe of warriors that only consisted of women, daughters of the god Ares and a nymph named Harmonia. They’re pretty fierce!
  • ANGEL – A spiritual person known mainly for the wings on their back, usually doing acts of kindness, and are associated with heaven. Archangels are ones of higher principal and rank. If straight up angels aren’t your thing, try some other winged being. Also, they don’t always have to be goody goody type angels.
  • BANSHEE – Originating from Irish legend, they are female spirits who could basically warn of nearing death of someone within a family/house. They would show this by letting out wails and shrieking.
  • BASILISK – A mythical reptile of legend, even known to be king of the serpent types. Apparently, it’s so strong that one glance can kill, and even has hot breath or deadly venom.
  • CENTAUR – I always wondered if it would be considered rude to ride on these guys, do you know? Anyway, here we have our mythological fren that’s got the upper body of a human while the rest is all that of a horse.
  • CHIMERA – According to Greek mythology, this guy right here was a monstrous fire breathing hybrid with it being a mix of different animal parts. Like a lion body with a goat head and a snake tail. As long as it has various animal parts to it, roll with whatever you want to.
  • CYBORG – They are more Sci-Fi and not really Supernatural, but they aren’t regular plain human beings, so I’m counting them. Then can be part human, or not human at all (full robot), either way, their appearance is that of one. A being with robotic and mechanical parts to them.
  • CYCLOPS – Belonging to the primordial race of giants, they are beings with one single eye in the center of their foreheads. They would serve as builders, blacksmiths, and craftsmen.
  • DEITY – Quite the diving being, this is basically another title to address those that are gods and goddess. Those like Zeus, Hera, Artemis, Apollo and more are just that. Immortal beings high up above the clouds in another plain of their own.
  • DEMIGOD – Moving along to a similar kind. We’ve got demi-gods, which are basically deities that are minor aka not as important and powerful, the offspring of a mortal and immortal which I’m sure most are familiar with, or a figure that attained divine status after death.
  • DEMONS – We all know about these guys. Associated with places like the underworld or other similar places like that, considered to be a harmful spiritual entity. Along with them comes things like exorcism and all that.
  • DRAGON – I’m sure we all know about these legendary beasts! They tend to be scaled, carrying reptilian and serpentine characteristics plus wings that help them soar through the skies. Some breath fire, some may not. There are tons of different types, like a Drake for instances.
  • DWARF – A human shaped entity that dwells in the mountains and in the Earth. Tends to be associated with wisdom, smithing, mining, and crafting. They are usually seen as short and even described as ugly.
  • ELEMENTAL – Any magical entity, say, a person, that personifies a force of nature and therefore possess elemental power that is usually exclusive to the person’s own unique element. Ya know the basic ones – earth, water, air, and fire – and then there are many others like lightning, plus various types.
  • ELF – A type of human shaped supernatural from Germanic mythology and folklore. A good way you can tell someone is an elf, is by their signature pointy ears that grace their appearance.
  • FAIRY – Faeries are mythical beings from European folklore. They usually are small, and tend to be female, but they don’t gotta be I believe. They can be human size too. They’ve got magic powers and usually have mystical looking wings of some sort. Sprite and Pixie are some are other names to refer to them as.
  • FAMILIARS – A familiar (spirit or animal) is an animal shaped spirit or minor demon that was believed to serve witchs (or other magic users) as domestic servants, spies, companions, and in general helping them. Say, by bewitching their enemies or divining information. If you got a magic character, maybe give them a little buddy to work with.
  • GHOST – Can also be referred to as spirit, phantom, wraith, or apparition. The entity/essence of a dead person. Usually they are seen haunting peeps, maybe possessing them, and taking on other objects of the living.
  • GHOUL – From Arabic mythology, they are monsters or evil spirts that have to do with graveyards and consuming human flesh. Oh my.
  • GOBLIN – These are basic guys that I’m sure many of you know. We see them in all types of things like videogames for example. A monstrous creature with various and conflicting abilities, temperaments, and appearances. Pretty much always small, grotesque, mischievous or just plain downright evil and greedy.
  • GOLEM – An animated anthropomorphic (when human traits, emotions, and intentions are attributed to non-human entities) beings that are magically created from inanimate matter, specifically clay or mud.
  • GORGON – If you know who Medusa is, that you’ve already got a good idea of what a Gorgon. Deprived from the Greek word mean “dreadful” the term commonly refers to any of the three sisters who had hair made of venomous snakes, as well as being able to turn those who beheld them into stone.
  • GRIFFIN – This guy is legendary! Another creature combination! With the body, tail, and back legs of a lion. Meanwhile, the head is that of an eagle while it also has its wings and talons for the front feet. With both those animals traditionally considered king of beasts and birds, the Griffin is especially powerful and majestic, making him king of all creatures.
  • HARPY – Ugly winged bird woman that steals food.
  • HELLHOUND – A supernatural dog from folklore, known for its hellish and ominousness, like quite a wide variety of other mythological dogs. For them, their traits that mainly define them are mangled black fur, red glowing eyes, super strength or speed, phantom characteristics, and lastly, a foul odor.
  • HYBRIDS – One of the basics, and pretty much what a lot of these guys are. Legendary creatures that combine together the body parts of more than one species, and one of them is often times a human being. You can combine pretty much anything, so let loose dude! Also, something I notice a lot with hybrid stories, is that the hybrids usually are mistreated and then the main character savior comes in and makes a home for them. Why not try making an environment where hybrids are actually accepted amongst the majority? Or where they are the norm? I think that’d be cool.
  • HYDRA – Fully known as the Lernaean Hydra, is a serpentine water monster. In some cases, it possessed many heads, the number varying. In other cases, we usually see it starting out with say, three heads, but for everyone cut, it would regrow two of them back. Yikes! One thing is for certain, and that is it having more than just one head. How many? That’s all up to you.
  • KRAKEN – Watch out if you’re going out to sea. One of the most legendary sea monsters out there, we have our giant squid fren that can grow all the way up to 40-50 feet (aka 12-15 meters).
  • KITSUNE – Aka, the Japanese word for fox. They are intelligent beings possessing magical abilities that increase with age and wisdom. According to Yokai folklore, all foxes can shape shift into human form. Usually we see them depicted as tricksters, though in some cases, they can actually be faithful guardians, friends, lovers, and wives. When I think of kitsunes, I always imagine them with nine tails, but I don’t think you need to include the extra eight.
  • MERPEOPLE – Our legendary aquatic frens from down under the sea. We’ve got our Mermaids and Mermen, a combination of a human upper body, while everything down below is the fish parts. In terms of mermaids, it’s usually an entire tail, scales and all. I mostly see peeps write about merpeople with them coming on land and trying to be human, but why not do the opposite? Write something about humans becoming merpeople, going underwater and experiencing their world, or straight up only use aquatic creatures instead, no land peeps.
  • MINOTAUR – We’ve got another human animal creature combo here. Minotaur are guys with the body of a man and a head of a bull. Like Roman poet Ovid described “part man and part ball”. I think in some other cases, the legs might also be that of a bull, probably depending on the lore.
  • NYMPH – From Greek and Latin mythology. A minor nature deity that is female, typically associated with a particular location or landform. Generally regarded as divine spirits that animates nature. Usually shown as young attractive maidens that love to sing and dance.
  • OGRE – Term for a variety of abominable and brutish hominid monsters that would be seen in myths and folk tales. Informally large, unpleasant, grotesque, predatory, and typically cannibalistic towards normal human beings, oh my. These guys definitely seem not super friendly…or approachable. Feminine way to address one would be Ogress.
  • PEGASUS – Apparently one of the best-known creatures from Greek mythology, and I believe it! Divine stallions with wings, usually portrayed as a pure white color.
  • PHOENIX – Another, big and well-known legend from Greek mythology. Basically, a giant fire bird, one that is said to go through a cycle where it dies out but then gets reborn, rising from the ashes and beginning a new timeline. This guy is pretty cool. But hey, if a fire bird isn’t your thing, use another element!
  • PYTHON – The serpent sometimes represented as a dragon, living at the centre of the earth.
  • SERPANT – Sea Serpent to be exact! It is another type of dragon, not really with wings like the typical one usually. Obviously as shown in their name, they are reptiles of the water.
  • SHAPESHIFTER – A person who has the ability to shapeshift, or metamorphosis, whichever one you prefer. So, they can transform themselves into a completely different entity, changing their entire physical form if they so choose. An example would be our lovable werewolf fren.
  • SIREN – I actually happen to find Sirens probably one of the most interesting amongst this list. Dangerous creatures that you would find at sea, luring sailors to wreck their ships upon rocky coasts using their alluring voices and enchanting music.
  • SORCERER – You could also use terms like Wizard, Witch, Magician, Warlock, Enchanter, Enchantress, or Witch Doctor, though they seem to have differences amongst them. But overall, all of these peeps are ones with some form of magical power. Maybe use an Alchemist instead if you wanted to.
  • SUCCUBUS – These are the ladies you’ve gotta watch out for! They’re Lilin-demons that take on the form of females then proceed to seduce men, usually through ual activity. It is said that repeated hook ups with them may result in a decline of health, mental state, or even worse, death. Don’t get caught in a trap! The male counterpart to Succubus are Incubus.
  • TROLL – Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. Dwellers of isolated rocks, mountains, or caves. They live together in small family units, and are rarely helpful to human beings, even maybe considered dangerous to them. They are trolls after all. Gotta solve the puzzle before crossing the bridge.
  • UNDEAD – If it’s dead but alive, it’s undead. Beings from mythology, legend, or fiction that are deceased but behave like they are alive. A common example is a corpse being reanimated by supernatural forces. A couple other examples of types of undead are Skeletons and Zombies. Apocalypse time?
  • UNICORN – A legendary creature described as a beast (or basically a horse or a goat like thing) with a single large pointed spiraling horn projecting from its forehead.
  • VALKYRI E– From Norse mythology, one of a host of female figures who can just choose whoever they want to die and live on the battlefield. Sound a little broken and OP if you ask me.
  • WENDIGO – Here we’ve got another monster or evil spirit that has to do with cannibalism. It can be a monster that seems human, or a possessed human that becomes monstrous, who knows? Murder and greed are things you can connect to it.
  • WERECAT – Similar to our dear Werewolf frens, but instead of transforming into a wolf or having characteristics of one, it is a cat with feline traits. And there are all types of different cats to work with here. Domestic, tiger, lion, leopard, and my personally favorite, a snow leopard!
  • WYVERN – Legendary creature with the head and wings of a dragon, while it’s body, two legs, and tail resemble that of a reptilian. So, something like a gecko or turtle. Then the sea variant has a fish tail instead of a dragon one.
  • YOKAI – Lastly, the Yokai of Japanese folklore. They are a class of supernatural monsters, spirits, and demons. They range diversely from being malevolent to mischievous, or occasionally bringing good fortune. Often possessing animal features – such as the Kappa and Tengu do – other times humanly, some look like inanimate objects while others don’t really have a shape. They usually have spiritual or supernatural power. Shapeshifting is quite a common one.

Here are some honorable mentions not on the list: Big Foot, Bogeyman, Cerberus, Chupacabra, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Gargoyle, Grim Reaper, Imp, Jackalope, Jinn (Genie), Leviathan, Loch Ness Monster, Nix, Pharaoh, Sphinx, and Yeti.

Some fan favorites of mine or ones that peaked my interest the most are: Aliens, Amazons, Angels, Banshees, Cyborgs, Demigods, Dragons, Elementals, Eleves, Fairies, Ghosts, Ghouls, Hybrids, Hydra, Kraken, Kitsune, Merepeeps, Minotaur, Nymphs, Phoenixs, Serpants, Shapeshifters, Sirens, Sorcerers, and the Undead plus a few more.

There are tons and tons of other ones and sub-kinds of these, but I just gave you a lot of basic ones and those I was familiar with. Get inspired!

Here are some references and examples for more inspiration:

  • Alpha King – This is a Haikyuu fanfiction I’ve been reading on AO3 (here), and if you ask me, I’d say it writes out the ABO dynamics out nicely. Plus, there are other good elements a part of the story too.
  • Just Smile – This is a GOT7 fanfiction that I’ve been reading on AO3 (here) that has to do with vampires. But, instead of focusing so much on romance, they focus on other things that are pretty cool.
  • Vixx – The concept kings when it comes to dark and unique stuff, almost every comeback of theirs has something supernatural related about it. On & On, Hyde, Conception Trilogy, etc.
  • SHINee – In their ‘Ring Ding Dong’ MV, the boys are all seen with wings at the end of it. Kinda look like Dark Angels.
  • EXO/B.A.P – Both of them have their group concepts as being from different planets, making them Aliens. Exo from Exoplanet and B.A.P from somewhere involving the Matoki.
  • BEAST – In their ‘Shadow’ MV, with the cool and awesome dark visuals, they had like a Shadow People concept, and stuff having to do with darkness.
  • 4MINUTE – In their ‘Volume Up’ MV, the concept is them as Vampires. That saxophone though.
  • Gugudan – For their debut and in their MV ‘Wonderland’ the theme was Mermaids. The album was even titled ‘The Little Mermaid’ after the movie.
  • Twice – In their MV ‘TT’ each one of the girls are a different type of character that can be associated with the supernatural. Mermaid, Vampire, Fairy, Devil, Puppet, Pirate, Ice Princess, Super Hero, and Bunny.
  • April – In their MV ‘Tinkerbell’ the concept is pretty obvious. They are Fairies in it, just like Tinkerbell is.
  • Bayonetta – A video game starring a female main character with the same name who is an Umbra Witch. She uses guns as a weapon, when she attacks with her hair her clothes come off, and she can control time.
  • Pokémon – There are three legendary pokemon who are elemental birds. Articuno (ice), Zapdos (lightning), and Moltres (fire). Another legendary pokemon is Jirachi, which is one that has a third eye on its tummy.
  • Tokyo Ghoul – Pretty self-explanatory here based on the name. This is an anime starring the main character Ken Kaneki, who gets turned into a Ghoul.
  • Naruto – Naruto is an anime that’s all about ninjas. In it, Naruto, the main protagonist, has a demon fox inside of him, a Kitsune with nine tails, by the name of Kurama.
  • & Stocking – An anime about two angels that have fallen from heaven, and to get back, they must collect a set amount of heaven coins (or something like that). They are certainly not the goody type of angels, and this show is pretty rated lol. The two of them fight with the clothing items that they are named after. ’s transform into a gun, her weapon, and Stocking’s stockings transform into katanas, her weapons. What a concept.
  • Danny Phantom – An old show back on Nickelodeon about a boy who got the ability to turn Ghost, then he would use his powers to stop other ghosts that were coming through. He’s here to fight for me and you! Sorry…the intro is just so good.
  • Scooby-Doo – A hit show that had many different versions to it, but they all covered the same thing. A group of meddling kids form Mystery Inc., their own little crew where they go around solving mysteries. Ones that usually involve them chasing after “Monsters” (they usually were just peeps masked, but you get the point)
  • Gargoyle – An old show, back on Disney I believe, that straight up was about Gargoyles. I miss old shows like these, they were great.
  • H20 – This was an old TV show back on Nickelodeon about three Australian girls who all gained the ability to transform into Mermaids. It was pretty good and I liked it a lot. Rikki was the coolest one btw.
  • Wonder Woman – Wonder Woman is a woman who comes from the Amazonians. That place looked quite majestic in the movie, not gonna lie.
  • Percy Jackson – A series of books and movies about a boy who discovers that he’s not only a Demigod, but the son to one of the big three, Poseidon himself. These are chalk filled with mythical and supernatural stuff.

Other genres and elements that I see working with these are ACTION, ADVENTURE, FANTASY, and SCI-FI, or some other ones depending on you and your story.

If anybody else has something they want to add to this page, like more creatures/beings of some sort or example, pliss go ahead and tell me!

If you decide to use any of this, let me know and I’ll add it to the list of created stories!

P.S. Do you think making someone a hybrid combo with an object would work for comedic purposes? I know this sounds random, but imagine someone as a microwave hybrid, and they could heat up nachos in their stomach? But then again, now that I think about it, that could basically just be a Cyborg/Robot feature. Wtf am I talking about lol. Ignore me.