Chapter 4

Dark Lake Academy 2

 

"How'd the first day go?" Suho asked. "Anything interesting happen?"

"No, not yet," Kyungsoo replied, "But then again, nothing really happens on the first day. It's the second day where the interesting stuff takes place."

"Right," Suho nodded. "So, how's your class list looking?"

"Hyung," Kyungsoo frowned, not at all pleased by the game the dragon was trying to play. "Is your job really so boring that you have to play games like this?"

"Honestly," Suho laughed, "yeah. It is."

"You need to get out more," the vampire sighed.

"Maybe, but didn't answer my question," Suho let out a knowing grin. "What are your thoughts on this year's class of vampires?"

"Lee Jooheon," Kyungsoo replied, "the first, and only, dhampir in recorded existence. Care to give me a heads up on exactly what I'm going to be walking into tomorrow?"

“Hm no, not really," Suho smirked. "But I'm sure you can deal with whatever he throws at you."

"You are the worst hyung ever!" Kyungsoo shouted, rather childishly. "Xiumin wouldn't do this to me. He’d never even dream of sending me a kid like this without any prior notice."

"Sticks and stones, Soo," Suho replied, "sticks and stones."

"Speaking about hyungs," Kyungsoo changed the subject, "have you heard from Kris recently?"

"No," Suho sighed, his good mood faded instantly. "I haven't."

"I recall, he said something about a mission," Kyungsoo frowned, "to South America. At least that's what he said last time I talked to him. That had to be… a month ago."

"I remember that mission," Suho explained. "He wrapped it up a week ago. He was back for a day or so before taking another one to Africa. I don't know the details, at least not yet anyway. But I'm sure once it's done the office gossips will make sure everyone knows."

"Nothing’s secret anymore huh," Kyungsoo chortled. "Not within the ISBIP anyway."

"I think it's a means of defense after the war to combat corruption," Suho shrugged. "If everyone knows where all the agents are at all times, then no one can be off doing secret missions for other people."

"Makes enough sense," Kyungsoo sighed. "There could be worse ways of dealing after all."

"Hmm," Suho hummed in agreement, thinking of all his friends who were coping in a less than ideal way.

"Well, I need to hit the sack," Kyungsoo said, trying to cover a yawn. "Got a long day tomorrow so I best be ready for whatever is thrown my way."

"Sleep well," Suho smiled, "and let me know how it goes, alright?"

"You should get some rest yourself," Kyungsoo replied, "It won't do anyone any good if you're too tired to even sign your name. Good night Hyung and good luck."

 

--

 

"I wish it was after lunch already," S.Coups whined, reluctantly exiting the dorm with his two new roommates trailing behind.

"Why?" Shownu asked, looking up from his class schedule, "what's so great about after lunch?" He was still hesitant to make friends with the boy, but there was no way he was going to pass up an opportunity to learn more about this place.

"That's when all the supernatural classes are," S.Coups explained, falling into step with the pair of newbies so he could look at the schedules, "see? In the morning you've got stuff like math and science, the basic school classes. But after that, you've got the whole afternoon to practice your gifts."

"So," Minhyuk frowned slightly, "there are witch classes and nightmare classes?"

"Sort of," S.Coups replied, "There's a class especially for those who can use magic, like witches, warlocks, fallen, and yuki-onna. There are flight classes for those who can fly, like dragons and fallen. Those who can change forms, like shifter and nightmares, have a class together. Fae have their own class where they just play around with their empath abilities. Ravi will probably pull you and Woozi aside at some point to work on your dream-based gifts."

"Woozi is a nightmare?" Minhyuk asked, intrigued by the idea of finding someone else of his race.

"He's a fae," S.Coups replied, "truth be told, nightmares have become a rarity."

"Why is that?" Minhyuk asked, feeling a bit disheartened by this news.

"From what I understand, nightmares are kind of," S.Coups waved his hands around as he tried to think of the right word. "They aren't the most accepted supernatural out there. Because of their gifts, a lot of other species are kinda put off by them. Necromancers have a similar problem."

"I don't get it," Shownu frowned, "Why aren't they accepted? What's so weird about them compared to anyone else?"

"Honestly?" S.Coups shrugged, "I don't get it either. You'd think that old prejudice like that would have died out by now, but maybe it just needs more time. Just don't get too upset if some people are kind of cold to you, Minhyuk."

"Wouldn't be the first time people treated me cold for now reason," Minhyuk muttered. S.Coups heard this blunt statement and frowned slightly as he tried to figure out a way to improve the mood of his roommates.

"Hey," he grinned, "how about show you guys around the school grounds at lunch?"

"I guess that’s a good idea," Shownu replied, thinking it over. He deduced it would be better than getting lost trying to find everything later.

"Great," S.Coups' grin grew. "We’ll start with the ceremony grounds. They're at the very edge of campus, so it's best to start there. Plus, you'll need to know where they are by the end of the week, Shownu."

"Wait," Shownu held up a hand, "ceremony grounds?"

"Some species are very traditional," S.Coups explained. "Like witches and vampires. Every few weeks, witches ceremonies. It's generally nothing big, just little rituals to thank nature and their ancestors for all the blessings they've been given."

"Oh," Shownu nodded, "I was thinking of… something else."

"Sacrifices?" S.Coups raised an eyebrow knowingly. "You aren't the first person to think that, so don't feel bad about it."

"S.Coups!"

The three turned to find Yeri waving at them from the school entrance, "Hurry up! The bell's gonna ring soon. You're always late on the first day."

"Not always," S.Coups yelled back, running over to her. "You're being overdramatic."

"Sori warned you about this, remember?" she replied.

Shownu and Minhyuk trailed behind the pair smiles finally gracing their faces. After all, to them the argument was rather humorous.