Chapter 1

Dark Lake Academy 2

Ravi frowned slightly as he looked out the window, his mind going back to old memories that he would rather forget. The first day of a new school year tended to do that to him.

It was hard to believe that his first day at Dark Lake was just ten years ago. It felt like no time had passed at all, like it was still his first year at the school. But it wasn't. The wedding ring on his finger alone was enough of a reminder of that.

No, his first day was years ago and he was no longer a student. He was a teacher; one who needed to prepare for his first class tomorrow. Although, it wasn't held until after lunch, like all the other special supernatural classes, he liked to be ready for anything the new year wanted to throw at him. Last year it was a kid who could not believe that they were a shifter to the point of a very bad mental breakdown. The year before, he had a kid who was convinced that they were the next big, bad, powerful shifter. That kid broke a leg showing off to the other students.

There was no way that this year was going to be any different, so Ravi needed to prepare himself for what was going to come.

And yet...

Yet his mind was stuck in the past, in thoughts and memories that he would rather forget and ignore.

"Ravi?" Sori's sudden entrance startled Ravi a lot more then he would have liked.

"Hey," he tried to smile, "What's up?"

"The first bus will be arriving shortly," she told him. "We should be in the cafeteria."

"Right," Ravi nodded. "Sorry, I just....you know."

"I know," she sighed sadly, pulling her husband into a tight hug, "I know."

Ravi let himself take comfort in his lover for a few moments before pulling away. Sori wasn't fooling around about the first students arriving very soon. He needed to put his own personal problems behind him and focus on doing his job.

 

--

 

"Thank you so much," the older woman bowed again and N smiled kindly.

"Please," he told her, "You don't have to thank me so much. I was doing my job." And it wasn't like he'd done anything out of the kindness of his heart; she had paid him to help her.

"Still," she told him, "I'm very grateful."

"Just accept her thanks, hyung," Hyuk said, "She isn't going to stop just because you told her too."

"You're welcome," N said, taking the ghost's advice.

It wasn't long after that that the woman left and N was left alone with his youngest brother.

"You really need to learn how to take a 'thank you,' hyung," Hyuk frowned slightly, moving to 'sit' in the chair in front of N's office.

"I know," N sighed, taking a seat himself, "I know."

"Then why don't you?" Hyuk questioned. "How many years have we been doing this PI thing? And you still can't take a 'thank you' like you should."

Hyuk wasn't kidding. After everything that happened with the old council and that man, the deaths of several of his friends, including Hyuk, and the silent disappearance of Leo, N's departure from Dark Lake was certain, much to Ravi and Ken's dismay; Ravi especially. Hongbin however...

Hongbin's stability had long faltered from loss of his youngest and closest brother.

N preferred not to bring this up. It only reminded him of how far their family had fallen.

Leaving Dark Lake had left N in a state of uncertainty. He had no idea what to do with his life. When Hyuk had shown himself, N had been so happy to see his little brother, despite the bittersweet fact left by his ghostly form. After talking with the conflicted changling, Hyuk had suggested private investigation, which led to their current occupation. N was a pretty good detective, but he felt that Hyuk was the star of the show since he could go places that N could not.

"Well," Hyuk sighed, "I've got someplace to be. Why don't you get some food and some sleep. Your eye bags have eye bags."

"Where are you going?" N asked. He knew that Hyuk wasn't going to tell him, he never had before, but it was habit to ask.

"Just someplace," Hyuk replied before vanishing.

N had no idea exactly where Hyuk went when he vanished, but if pressed he did have a theory. In his mind, the most likely place for Hyuk to go when he left N's side was wherever their brothers where.