Chapter Four

The Queen's Dragon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He is greeted by the cool of the tavern inside, the much desired dim light and the undesired musty air. He doesn’t blame Minjun for the last one, as only hot and sticky air would swamp in if he opened the windows. This and well loud unpleasing noises.
It takes him a minute to adjust to the different brightness and only once the temporary blindness disappears before he can spot the wide grinning man with the waggling eyebrows behind his counter. Polishing spotless glasses, just out of boredom.
“Congratulation, you escaped the Siren,” his grins grows wider as Jiyong only exasperates a sigh, sitting on one of the many empty bar stools. Shoving a couple of coins, pre-counted over the desk mumbling, “As always, please.”

Though he has to add that despite the shabbiness of the inn and furthermore the room, the food and the disgrace of alcohol. The Innkeeper and self-declared bartender – yes he does blame him for the abuse of the rum – is a really fine guy, and he can’t nag about him at all.
They have a great relationship as far as a relationship with Jiyong can be great, and he is aware that the fault is with himself. He tends to distrust people, but that just something life has thought him so far. Minjun is a chatty fellow, especially when he is drunk. Fortunately, he isn’t as cheerful as a particular fisher, and mostly Jiyong is at least tipsy too, which makes everything but especially socializing a lot more enjoyable. Also, this guy has excellent values, and he appreciates it a lot that Minjun often drinks a glass or two with him. It portrays Minjun’s noble character or just an exceptional sense of profit making. Since he mostly comes back in the early morning hours, there aren’t any other guest around. Or barely, and surely not to get drunk but to enjoy some shabby brunch with hard boiled eggs and overcooked beans. Honestly, he isn’t sure if he perhaps is the only guest staying here anyway. It won’t surprise him, because who else would settle here? Not that it is that bad, but they just were no other ships at the port anymore.
So it’s entirely possible that Minjun’s intention isn't altruistic nor purely out of friendliness. Whatever the reason is, he surely won’t complain. They’re some others around, usually coming in the evening, using the tavern as their pub to meet and catch up. Mostly fishers, like him, which isn’t reassuring as it means that everyone struggles, and it surely wouldn’t get any better if the merchant doesn't come back soon. It also implies that people will be more depending on fish. The need for more fish doesn’t guarantee their loan to become better. It leads to more people will be out there fishing, more people fishing doesn’t mean plenty of fish, but eventually less fish available. Ultimately, it will be even harder to make a living let alone keep some savings.
Commonly he leaves when they gather, and for a change that has nothing to do with him avoiding people. Unlike Sungyu’s remarks, he does prefer to be punctual. Start his work as early as possible to get out with the first waves to get a little further and have more time to fish. Always with the mild hope in the back of his mind to not be on the brick again of getting floated out. His resolution apparently hasn't worked out so far, but there is always a tomorrow. One reason for his failure is a brunette obstacles that occasionally makes leaving early harder as it should be. The woman in question is a bit older than him and pins her long silky hair up when she works. She is the main and now the only waitress of the inn. Sandara is her name, though the regulars call her Dara, and so does he now. Her voice is gentle this makes her a pleasant company even when dealing with a massive hangover. She is always cheery, slightly clumsy but willing to work hard and her best. The only bad thing he could say about her is that she is almost too overly worried about everyone’s wellbeing and a tiny bit nosy. This means that he almost has to sneak out to get away without ending up with an uncalled early supper. Apparently, he isn’t very good in doing so. She catches him to often to his liking and won’t let him go before she has seen him eat at least a piece of bread. He absolutely hates this trait in her as he feels patronized and controlled. But it’s hard to shout her off, not when she steals or splits her ration with him. Obnoxious that he often skips it to avoid any extra cost or because it’s too pricey for him. Yes, she is, unfortunately, a very sweet and lovely lady.

It’s also the time and place where he gets his nautical yarn from. As much as he prefers the company of solely an attractive woman or a good ol’ bottle, shared with none other but himself, and occasionally maybe a friend. It’s not the worst idea to get along with the others. Even when that means to grab deep into his pocket and pay for a round. Just the little things to be accepted and earn the privilege to be seen as a mate. Most sea stories are more poppycock than anything else, but in every humbug, there is a spark reality. Which might be at some point crucial or come in handy and even if not it’s always nice to not j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter