one.

Disrupting the quiet

Sungyeon’s eyes were fixed on the library’s door. She was dreadfully waiting. Waiting for what you may be wondering, easy: she was expecting her worst nightmare to make its’ entrance at any moment –her worst nightmare being Kang Yaebin, always accompanied by her inseparable pals, Jung Eunwoo and Zhou Jieqiong. Call her dramatic, but since they started coming to the library last week, Sungyeon saw how the serenity she felt at her workplace slowly crumbled down and burned to ashes. It didn't take long for them to arrive, and at their sight, Sungyeon already felt the nerves creeping up.

 

The library used to be a peaceful, quiet place, as they all usually are. The atmosphere was relaxing. People talked gently in whispers and worked on their stuff without prying into others’ businesses. Sungyeon was happy with her job there. Everything was going great, the calm before the storm. The calm ended when Yaebin, Eunwoo and Jieqiong, made it their habit to visit the library. You’d think they’d respect the quietness of the place, but you couldn’t be more wrong. They spoke loudly and laughed at whatever jokes they made, making it difficult for the ones trying to work focus. When someone shushed them, annoyed, they would shut up for a couple of minutes, pretending to pay attention at whatever unfinished homework they had on the table, and then go back to talking. Today was no exception.

 

Sungyeon felt anger bubble inside her. Their behavior was making her really nervous. The way they acted was extremely disrespectful. She didn’t want to personally intervene; she had a tiny bit of hope. Maybe they would fall silent soon. It took the young girl ten minutes to know it wasn’t going to happen. She got up from behind the counter, seeing that if she didn’t put an end to this they would not stop, and made her way to three older girls. She cleared .

 

“Hey, hey” she half whispered, half hissed trying to get the girls’ attention. “You’re being rude, if you keep being loud I’m going to have to kick you out” her tone was serious, just like her expression. She had to look a little intimidating if she wanted them to take her seriously. Three pairs of eyes were staring at her, and didn’t say anything for a moment.

 

“Ok, we’re sorry, please, don’t kick us out, we will be quiet this time,” Eunwoo pleaded. Sungyeon wasn’t convinced, but she was too good, and she decided to let it pass this time. “All right” she accepted.

 

The librarian made her way back to the counter, hoping they would keep their word this time. She felt someone’s gaze follow her, but when she turned around, there was no one staring at her. She had probably imagined it. Shaking her head, she went back to work. Thankfully, the rest of the evening remained quiet, as the three students kept their promise. You could hear soft giggles occasionally, but nothing too bothersome. Nobody complained about them again. Sungyeon was grateful.

 

When Eunwoo, Jieqiong and Yaebin were leaving, the latter took a moment to spare a glance at the younger girl behind the counter, her face expressionless, but her eyes gleaming with something akin to curiosity.

 

 

 

–– i can't believe i uploaded twice on the same day, knowing myself, but yeah. chapters will probably get longer as the story progresses and i, once again, apologize if there are any mistakes.