two.

Disrupting the quiet

It was Friday, classes were over, and Sungyeon was on her way to the library with Yewon and Siyeon, her best friends. She had a free day, but final exams were coming, so the three had decided to study at the library –if they had a study reunion at one of their houses they would end up doing nothing. They were bickering about what they should do on Sunday. They had decided to hang out but couldn’t reach an agreement on what to do. Yewon was acting as a mediator between her other two friends, who were very obstinate and could get pretty intense when arguing –their arguments were discussions that got too heated, and they were usually about the dumbest things. So, Yewon was stopping her stubborn friend from getting too into the argument, when she saw from afar three feminine silhouettes.

 

“Sungyeon, Ddi, aren’t those Yaebin, Jieqiong and Eunwoo?” queried curiously the oldest of the three. That seemed to get the other two’s attention, basically because they were making their way to the entrance of the library, and knowing their reputation of being laid-back when it came to their studies, it left the young friends baffled. Well, Sungyeon wasn’t, since she had already seen them before, contrary to Yewon and Siyeon.

 

“They’ve been coming to the library for a couple of weeks or so,” Sungyeon commented dismissively. “They’ve made working there a nightmare,” she added, this time a trace of annoyance lacing her voice. Since the day Sungyeon had to personally ask them to stop being noisy, things had gotten worse. They had seemed to take the younger girl’s warning as a joke. Now they even made paper planes and aimed them at each other, eliciting laughs from the girl to whom the paper plane had been thrown. What’s more, one of them, Yaebin, glanced at the younger girl behind the counter occasionally to see if she was watching, that the young librarian found strange. Sungyeon wondered if they were really older than her or if they were five year olds trapped in the bodies of three teenage girls. Mysteries of their actual age aside, they were making the young librarian’s job feel like living hell. A chain of complaints came every afternoon right after the girls left. Sungyeon kept apologizing when some people suggested banning the entrance to the library to those girls. That was something she should consult with her parents. Moreover, deep down, she would feel bad if she had to ban them from visiting the library, don’t ask her why. She didn’t know herself. Maybe she was too good to throw someone out and not let them come back again.

 

“What? Why?” Siyeon’s face turned into a look of confusion and disbelief, as if she couldn’t believe what was hearing was true –which it was.

 

“Don’t know, not to study, that’s for sure. They’ve been a pain in the so far, being loud and acting like kids,” the librarian stated her thoughts. She and her two perplexed friends walked into the building that was the library, and took a seat at the back, they weren’t too far from where the older and childish –might Sungyeon add– students sat. It’s not like they had any other option, not too many seats were empty.

 

The girls took out their respective textbooks form their bags and silently started studying and taking notes, asking each other questions and resolving doubts every once in a while. An hour into their studying session they began to hear giggles, and, shortly after, Sungyeon felt something hit her softly, a small ball of crumbled paper. She looked up, annoyed, to see Yaebin was walking up to her.

 

“Sorry, this is my fault, I was aiming this at Jieqiong, but she dodged it,” she accompanied her words with a charming smile –Sungyeon didn’t find it charming at all.

 

“You shouldn’t be playing like this here, so I’d rather hear you apologize for that than for hitting me with the paper ball” the small, young student spat at the other, who was still looking at her with a smile plastered on her face. Said smile fell a little after Sungyeon finished the sentence, but it was just for a moment, Yaebin covered it up quickly. She cleared .

 

“Ok, I’m really sorry. We just get easily distracted.” She didn’t look really sorry to Sungyeon. There was a glint of mischief shining in her eyes. “Whatever, it’s ok, just try to aim it better next time” she told Yaebin, with what she hoped would come out as a bored tone.

 

The older girl’s smile widened at Sungyeon’s response as she bid goodbye to her and the two friends who watched the scene, confused.

 

After that incident, there was no way Sungyeon could focus on her notes as Siyeon and Yewon shot inquiring stares at her every now and then and her thoughts kept drifting back to what had just happened.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

–– a/n: i'm probably the worst author ever this fic must be so boring i'm sorry y'all. ALSO don't get used to the quick updates, i'm starting uni soon, so i dont know how i'll manage to update the fic often. anyways, enjoy and comment, i would love reading your thoughts on the story!