five.

Disrupting the quiet

(i haven't proof read it soz)

 

 

Weeks passed by quite uneventfully. Sungyeon didn’t tell her friends about her dream, or anyone else for the matter. Days were getting colder and exams were nearing. Sungyeon found herself burying the lower half of her face in a wool scarf while making her way to the library. She furrowed her eyebrows and quickened her pace to arrive faster to her workplace, wanting to end with the suffering that was being out in the street during winter. Winter is a beautiful and magical season. Seeing the town covered in white was a beautiful sight, but dying in the cold wasn’t in the small librarian’s plans.

 

Turns out, luck wasn’t on her side today, though. The library’s heater wasn’t working properly, so she would be stuck for hours in the library until her shift ended. Sungyeon wanted to cry. She was going to freeze. It was partly her fault though, because she didn’t bring a jacket with her, thinking she’d have enough with just a scarf to cover her neck.

 

The girl tried to take her mind off the issue by occupying herself with the cataloguing and classification of some new resources that had arrived. It didn’t help too much though; there was a small voice at the back of her mind reminding her that she was extremely cold. She bit her lip in annoyance, but continued working nonetheless, doing her best to ignore it.

 

At some point, the infamous trio of friends, Yaebin, Eunwoo and Jieqiong came to the library and sat down at their usual spot. They hadn’t been loud or annoying in any way since the music store situation, and deep down, Sungyeon missed their loud and – let’s be honest– a bit childish antics, though she would never admit it out loud. Every now and then, the librarian would spare a glance at the three girls –mainly Yaebin.

 

As the evening went by the temperatures dropped bit by bit. Sungyeon was walking back to the counter after helping a man find a book he couldn’t spot when she felt a hand pat her shoulder softly. She slowly turned around to find Yaebin holding a sweater in her hands with an indecipherable expression painting her features. The younger girl was confused.

 

“Take this,” the older one whispered softly, offering the other the sweater she was holding. Sungyeon was about to protest, but Yaebin cut her before she could start talking. “I said take this, you are cold, I could see you shaking from my seat.”

 

Sungyeon felt a mixture of feelings well up inside her, some of them she couldn’t decipher. Yaebin’s expression remained unreadable, but you could catch a glint of worry in her eyes if you paid enough attention.

 

“I-, I don’t need it,” the librarian insisted trying to sound convincing. She cursed at herself internally for stammering. The older student rolled her eyes and sighed.

 

“C’mon, just put it on, you aren’t fooling anyone.”

 

Sungyeon reluctantly took the sweater and carefully put it on. It was really soft and warm. She liked it. The librarian felt her face warm up and silently prayed the other wouldn’t notice the slight blush that colored her cheeks. The young librarian spurted out a “thank you” before Yaebin turned around to go back to her table where her two friends were –not– discreetly watching the scene expectantly.

 

Sungyeon urged her body to move and go sit behind the counter once again. She was angry with herself for acting so bashfully. She was annoyed with Yaebin for confusing her. She was mad at the world in general, because that was easier than facing her feelings. Whatever. She had never been good at that. To make things worse, the warmth the jacket provided her was a constant reminder of Yaebin’s rather constant presence in Sungyeon’s life recently. The librarian’s mind drifted to the spark of worry in the elder’s eyes, her unreadable expression, completely different from her usual easygoing smile. The crease between her eyebrows deepened. She felt bad for always acting so harshly around the other, but she just couldn’t help it. Something about Yaebin infuriated her. Go figure.

 

Needless to say, the librarian couldn’t focus on her job for the rest of the evening. She thanked the heavens for the lack of work there was that day.

 

Soon enough –not according to Sungyeon– it was time to close the library. The small girl let out a breath of relief. She checked the library to see if everything was in order and proceeded to get all her stuff.

 

It seemed like life was not on her side because as soon as she walked out of the library she was faced with Yaebin. The girl was standing right beside the door, arms crossed right below her chest, eyes distant and thoughtful expression. The librarian froze and contemplated whether to run away while the older girl was still lost in her thoughts. However, Sungyeon didn’t get to execute her plan because right then, as if on cue, Yaebin snapped out of her daze. Damn it.

 

“Hey,” uttered the younger awkwardly as she sent a nod in the elder’s general direction, a smile –more like a grimace– on her face.

 

“Hey there, I was waiting for you,” Yaebin said nonchalantly and she shot the brightest of smiles to the librarian. Sungyeon kind of forgot how to breathe. She cleared .

 

“What. Why the heck were you-? Oh. Your jacket, right, whatever, here you are,” the younger’s cheeks turned pink when she remembered about the situation that happened earlier on and she started stripping out of the jacket that had been providing her warmth.

 

“No. No, it wasn’t because of the jacket; I’m going to walk you home. You can keep the jacket, it looks better on you anyways,” Yaebin shrugged casually and motioned for Sungyeon to follow her, not even waiting for the latter to react.

 

“Firstly, you are not walking me home and secondly the jacket is yours, so you take it,” if Yaebin thought the petite librarian would not argue with her then she was dead wrong. She wouldn’t be walked home by anyone, especially if that person happened to be Yaebin.

 

“Yes, yes I am, it’s dark outside. And cold, I won’t let you walk home by yourself.”

 

“I’ve been walking myself home for the past year and I’m still in one piece. Since when are you worried about me anyways?”

 

“I’ve been. For a while. Just let me walk you home damn it, stop acting as if I had killed your dog or something. Every time I try to get close to you you act so disgusted. I’ve never done anything to you yet it seems like you hate me,” the elder’s tone raised bit-by-bit as she kept talking. She hadn’t intended to spit all that out, really, but once she opened she couldn’t stop.

 

“I-” the librarian started, Yaebin’s rant had caught Sungyeon off guard, but she was right, there’s no way to deny that. “Sorry,” she apologized, her voice barely more than a whisper.

 

“It’s ok, let’s just go,” the other’s tone was laced with exhaustion, as if this exchange had extremely tired her out.

 

Yaebin did end up walking Sungyeon home, but none of them said anything. They walked in silence, a couple of feet away from each other, their heads hanging low, tension and unspoken words heavy on their shoulders.

 

 

––– a/n: I'M SO SORRY IT'S BEEN MONTHS SINCE I LAST UPDATED. i really have no excuse, i hope all of you have had a nice day today. happy –extremely belated– new year! also, you can follow me on twitter if you want, i'm @singyeons there