six

Maybe, this time

A/N: I'M SORRRRRRY FOR THE LONG LEAVE. I DROPPED A CHAPTER HOPE YOU ALL LOVE IT

 

 

Chapter 6

 

“I’m sorry Mrs. Park but your son has been diagnosed to have Stress Cardiomyopathy” the doctor said as he looked at the chart of what appears to be a teen aged boy

 

“What?! Bu- But how can that happen, he’s 14 for Christ sake!” “honey please calm down” the man beside the well-dressed woman said

 

“calm down?... how can I when all I can see is our child lying in the hospital bed!” “honey..hey look at me okay… we have to listen to what the doctor is saying or else how can we find the best possible treatment for him..hmm okay”

 

The man turned his head to the door where inside a boy in his early teens is seen lying on the bed, face as white as paper, wires of different colors attached to his chest, a tube on his mouth that is attached to an oxygen tank, and an IV line attached to his left hand.

 

The man then turned to face the doctor again “Please doctor, how is that possible…we don’t even have heart problems running in our family”

 

“Well Mr. Park, Stress Cardiomyopathy can be acquired through either physical or emotional stress that causes the heart to weaken. Is there a possibility that he either played rigorous sports or was there a recent event that caused him to have severe emotional stress?”

 

The man and woman looked at each other worriedly “I.. ah.. yes our family just went through a funeral 3 days ago, it was a funeral for my wife’s mother, his grandmother to be exact.”

 

“I am sorry so hear that Mr. Park. Well..In relation to that, does he share fond memories with her?”

 

“yeah.. she basically took care of him and his older sisters while they were really young. We are always away due to the nature of our work so we asked a favor to my mother if she and her husband could take care of them for the mean time” the wife answer in tears

 

“I guess this really took the toll on him then.. what I would like you to do is to provide support to him, specially emotionally, and I can prescribe medications that would help in the beating his heart. Usually the left side of the heart will or could go back to normal, then everything goes back to what is was before but not as normal as it was from the beginning…If that does not happen though and this disease progresses then we can give him more potent drugs and he may be a candidate for a pacemaker or heart transplant”

 

“if that’s the case the we-“

 

“Doctor!” a distant but loud voice filled the corridor. Four nurses are seen running to towards the couple and doctor

 

“The patient is on arrest!”

 

.

.

.

 

I woke up with a headache and the feeling of my throat dry. I have a mask in my face, My chest feels heavy and my arms feel like they pricked with many times.

 

“Doctor, the patient is awake” I can hear the nurse beside me call the attention of the doctor that was talking with youngjae

 

“hey..can you hear me hyung” youngjae approached me from the right side and placed a hand above my head and the other on my arms

 

“What happened” I looked at youngjae and said in a raspy voice. I feel tired and I wanted to sleep again.

 

“can you tell me was what the last thing you remembered hyung”

 

Just from thinking already makes my head hurts “I was trying to get some sleep..then you..you came and I.. I think I went to the bathroom?” I asked in confusion “then I slept?”

 

“hyung.. you..your in a hospital, in St. Mary’s Hospital to be exact…you.. you went to cardiac arrest” I looked at youngjae and I can tell he looks sad

 

“really huh..” as I tried to pull myself up to sit “well I guess I was really stressing myself out” as I looked at my fingers “Good thing there’s a hospital one block ahead or I guess you’re going to take me to SMC” as I looked at youngjae

 

“it wasn’t just heart burns, right?” As he took my hand “hyung why… why didn’t you tell me.. I could have taken good care of you”

 

“it’s alright youngjae”

 

“alright?!.. hyung I catched you just to realized that you had no pulse.. and I had to do CPR to you…do you... do you know how hard it was for me to think that you are going to die in my hands…do you” youngjae started crying really while holding my hand and I felt really sorry for him

 

“ youngjae ah… please don’t cry anymore okay..” as I patted his head “hyung.. is fine… I am going to be fine, alright”

 

“I’m sorry hyung it’s just..” “no, you don’t have to explain… I have you a hard time right, ha?” I said trying to ease the tension.

 

“How long was I out” I asked the doctor that was now talking to the nurse

 

“Dr. Park, you were out for almost a day already”

 

“So what happened.. uh what there the findings”

 

“Don’t you want to wait for your parents to arrive” he asked me

 

“I’m already an adult doc, you can tell me”

 

“well Dr. Park it looks like the pacemaker that was placed in your heart suddenly malfunctioned. In addition to that it looks like your heart’s problem is getting worst, you might need a surgery. As for now we might need to change the batteries of your pacemaker since it passed 10 years already since its placement”

 

“I need to file a leave though” “What.. hyung you can file for an emergency leave you can’t just walk out of here like nothing happened and everyone there will understand”

 

“youngjae ah I don’t want them knowing I’m sick okay… it’s just that people will treat me differently okay… they will pity me and you know how much I don’t like that kind of treatment”

 

“but hyung..” “it’s okay youngjae.. I’ll file it asap so that I’ll get a surgery as soon as possible. Doc can you prescribe me some medication that can at least relieve the symptoms”

 

“Dr. Park as a physician yourself you should know the side effects of taking the medications and I suggest you file that leave as soon as possible. Dr. Choi here said you work at Seoul Medical Center and filing a leave as new physicians can be quite hard, so please I suggest you file it soon.”

 

“Thank you uh.. Dr. Go. Can I go home tomorrow… I uh want to file my leave and I ah, I have work tomorrow evening”

 

Youngjae looked at me worriedly “hyung-ah”

 

“It’s alright youngjae ah” I said holding his hand giving him a small smile

 

.

.

.

 

:)