Chapter 3: Sweetheart

White Lies

The weekend went by fast as Jieun was already on walking out of her house on a Monday morning, off to school. She stopped by Lisa’s house which was only beside hers to see her friend waiting for her with Jennie.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jieun asked Jennie who pouted at what she said.

 

“Good morning to you too, Jieunnie.” Jennie said before throwing an arm around Jieun and Lisa who was seemingly busy as she ate a muffin. The three of them then made their way to their university with Jennie chattering loudly as usual, Lisa eating as usual, and Jieun rolling her eyes as usual. It was a normal day until…

 

“What?!” Jieun’s voice rang across the empty soccer field as she yelled at whoever she was talking to. Lisa just shrugged and continued eating while Jennie simply raised an eyebrow at Jieun.

 

“But mom! They’re not exactly new neighbors you know?” Jieun grumbled as a small pout formed on her lips. Jennie pursed her lips and looked away, playing with her phone.

 

“Aish. I can’t believe mom just hang up on me.” Jieun frowned and grabbed the donut Lisa was supposed to eat which made the older girl whine. The eldest just laughed before turning to Jieun.

 

“Wae? Why were you arguing by the way? What’s it about?”

 

“Remember the stupid neighbor I told you about? She, her mom, and weird uncle Seunghyun are coming for dinner at 8 tonight. Ugh!” Jennie smiled in amusement before laughing.

 

“Wow, you hate her that much? I mean, you just met her yesterday?”

 

“I don’t hate her, it’s just complicated.” Jieun defended herself before smacking Jennie’s shoulder as the girl was still laughing.

 

“I’ve never seen you like this before.” Jennie said as she chuckled while rubbing her shoulder where her best friend hit her. Jieun rolled her eyes before her expression brightened up.

 

“I know! How about you come at the dinner with me?” Jennie who was drinking coke choked up as Jieun said those words.

 

“What?!”

 

“You heard me, Jennie ah. Come with me at the dinner. Please.” Jieun begged Jennie with her puppy eyes which made the latter look away.

 

“As much as I want to, I have to talk to Sana.”

 

“Wait what? You mean the Sana? Minatozaki Sana? The player?” The quietly eating Lisa asked as she turned wide eye while looking at Jennie.

 

“Yes, Minatozaki Sana.”

 

“Oh my Gosh, how?” Lisa flailed her arms like an octopus before she started to throw questions at Jennie who was looking at Jieun for help but the latter was ignoring her as she was sulking.

 

“Psh. You have a talk with Sana but you won’t help me? Tsk. Whatever.” Jieun packed her things and grabbed another donut from Lisa’s 2 boxes of donuts. Yes, that’s all hers.

 

“Wait, Jieun ah! I’ll make it up to you, arracchi?” Jennie shouted at Jieun who just waved her hands dismissively.

 

 

“Mom! I’m home-- , What are you doing here?” Around 6:30 pm, Jieun had just gone back from her university to see Rose wearing an apron while holding a bowl, mixing whatever was in it.

 

“Oh, welcome back sweetheart. How was school?” Rose asked her as she moved at the Kim’s kitchen, preparing a whole lot of food.

 

“You didn’t answer my question. Aish.” Jieun turned her heel away from Rose who smiled cheekily as she continued to cook.

 

“Jieun ah, you’re here.” Jenny entered the kitchen with Sohye which made Jieun stopped her tracks and turn to her mother. Sohye on the other hand greeted Rose with a kiss on her cheek and sat herself at the counter near Rose.

 

“Mom, Can I talk to you? Alone?” Jieun said as she glanced at her neighbor who let Sohye taste her cooking which received thumbs up.

 

“Oh, Sohye ah. Would you mind sweetheart? This is adult’s talk now.” Rose said as she placed the bowl that she was holding earlier on the table and went near Jieun and Jenny, as if she was part of the conversation.

 

“By alone, I mean mom and me.” Jieun said as she glared at Rose who just gave her a silly smile and a wink. Jieun then pulled her mother to the living room to have their alone talk.

 

“Mom, Rose—“ Jieun didn’t get to continue their conversation as her mom gestured at the couch where Rose’s Mom and Uncle Seunghyun was sitting.

 

“Rose’s family.”

 

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo.” Jieun greeted stiffly as she bowed and excused herself and her mother to another room. But before she could talk…

 

“Noona~ I got a new shirt.” Jiwon said as he showed his new jersey to Jieun who smiled at him sincerely.

 

“Oh, who’s it from?”

 

“Rose noona.” Jieun groaned before leaving her mom and Jiwon in the room and proceeded to the kitchen.

 

“Ya. Ms.Park” Jieun patted Rose’s shoulder as the latter was tasting what she cooked.

 

“Yes sweetheart?” Rose said as she walked around the kitchen once more with Jieun following her.

 

“Don’t call me sweetheart.” Jieun said as her cheeks flushed red but she shook it off and glared at Rose.

 

“Then call me, Rose or Chaeyoung.”

 

“Okay. Ya. Rose.” Rose smiled before turning to Jieun while holding a spoonful of food.

 

“Yes Jieun? Open your mouth. Ahh~” Rose said as she softly grabbed Jieun jaw to make open and fed her the spoonful of food. Jieun quietly obliged and ate the food Rose gave her.

 

“Something to say?” Rose asked as she walked to the food that she was preparing.

 

“A bit much salt.” Jieun said as she chewed. She wasn’t going to admit this, but Rose’s cooking seemed to be very good as she ate the spoonful of bibimbap.

 

“You’re the same. You’re too salty for your own good.” Rose said as she turned around to the stove and continued cooking.

 

“Ya!” Jieun frowned once again as she heard what Rose said. She then followed the older girl to the kitchen.

 

“Oh my gosh, Why are you following me? You really like me that much?” The aussie girl jested as she gave a silly grin at Jieun who face-palmed.

 

“Ya, it’s not tha—“ Jieun however, was stopped by Rose who shushed her.

 

“Shhh. I know. I’m very y.” Jieun faked a gag before glaring at the chuckling Rose.

 

“What’s your problem?” Rose’s voice was now far from her playful voice that she had been using on Jieun. Her voice was now soft yet stern and her expression was the same.

 

“Huh?” On the other hand, Jieun was confused. Very confused.

 

“You. What’s your problem? Why are acting like the whole world is on your fragile shoulders?” Rose asked Jieun as she leaned her back on the kitchen counter.

 

“You don’t me well enough to ask.” Jieun countered back as she frowned. However, Rose smiled at her. This time, it wasn’t the usual teasing smile. It seemed to be a normal, sincere smile that Jieun never would’ve thought to see from Rose.

 

“I know. But I know well enough to say that you should stop carrying the weights of the past and move on. Be happy.” Rose said as she turned the stove off and put the food on the plated on the table with Jieun still following her.

 

“I am happy.”

 

“And I’m not Park Chaeyoung. Oh, please. No need to lie to me, Kim Jieun. You’re far from happy and everyone knows it. Do me a favor and copy me. 1, 2 and smile.” After counting 1 and 2, Rose smiled as if she was teaching Jieun how to.

 

“Come on, it’s easy. 1 and 2 then smile.” Rose leaned over Jieun’s face and placed her hand on the side of Jieun’s lips and stretched to form a ‘smile’.

 

“Ya, don’t touch me.” Jieun grumbled as she swatted Rose’s hands away.

 

“Oh my gosh. Now I’m pretty sure you had forgotten how to smile or laugh with all the saltiness you carry on your body.” Rose said before she sighed and called all the people in that house to come and eat dinner.

                                                             

Sure dinner went well with no banters between Jenny and Minyoung, thanks to the guests. It was only Rose and Jiwon going on about playing guitars, before Bom, Rose’s mom, the same former vocal teacher from Jieun’s university, decided to bring up Rose’s new job which happened to be a replacement of her mom as a vocal teacher at the university Jieun was studying at. Sohye was now asking lots of question about singing which Rose gladly answered.

 

However, Jieun was awfully quiet as she just ate her dinner and didn’t even listen to the conversation that was going on around the table. She was still thinking about what Rose said. Is it true? Has she really forgotten how to smile and laugh? She just sighed and excused herself to rest and went to her room upstairs.

 

Rose glanced at the girl who went to her room worriedly before her attention was drawn back to Sohye who was asking to be taught how to sing which Rose promised she would. Despite the ongoing talk around the table, the singer was still thinking of Jieun worriedly.