Chapter 1: Worst day

White Lies

One fine day in Dallas, Texas, shouts were heard from the Kim’s household with the neighbors ignoring them, clearly used to the shouts.

 

 A fight between her grandmother and her mother, that’s how Jieun’s day starts. With her little brother who can’t walk, Jiwon betting 5 dollars that their grandmother and mother will fight, again, and their youngest sister, Sohye, watching quietly as she clutched to the penguin doll that Jieun gave her.

 

“How I miss korean food. I just wish that my son married someone who can actually cook Korean food.” The eldest kim said as she glanced at her daughter-in-law who frowned at the comment.

 

“Be thankful that we have enough food on our table to feed all of us.” Jieun’s mother snapped back before patting Sohye’s head to soothe the scared girl. And with that, once again, Jiwon won the bet. Jieun groaned as she rolled her eyes for the 123456789th time in her life as she slammed her hands on the table.

 

“Both of you! Stop it! I can’t with this. There, you won again. Just leave me alone.” Jieun placed the 5 bucks on Jiwon’s hands before grabbing her things and walking out of the house. It was a daily thing with them. Her grandmother and mom fighting with her walking out after she gives Jiwon the money and kissing Sohye’s cheeks goodbye.

 

Jieun hastily walked and entered the café near her university just in time to see Lalisa Manoban, her bestfriend. There are two things you should know about Lalisa Manoban. 1, she claims food is her first love. 2, she’s a hopeless romantic, wishing for her so called true love.

 

“Oh, you’re here. Make that 2 blueberry muffins and 2 iced lattes. What’s yours?” Lisa turned to a shock Jieun who taught that what Lisa ordered was for both of them already. The younger girl received a nudge from Lisa which woke her up from the shock of how much food her bestfriend can eat.

 

“One iced latte, on the go please.” As soon as they got their orders, they went out of the café and took their route to their university. But luck wasn’t on Jieun’s side.

 

“OH MY GOSH! LOOK AT ME LISA! THE COFFEE, UGH!” Everyone who could hear Jieun can say she had the worst day ever even when it was just morning. Someone had bumped into her making her coffee spill on her shirt.

 

“Oh my gosh! Look at her, Jieun. She’s so cute!” Just as what I told you, Lalisa Manoban is a hopeless romantic who was now gawking at a tall, fierce cat looking girl, completely ignoring Jieun who was fussing over the spilled coffee. The younger girl rolled her eyes before fixing her glasses as she glanced at the supposed cute girl that Lisa was talking about.

 

“Lee Chaerin, 3rd year. She’s our sunbae, pabo. And she has a girlfriend.” Jieun scoffed before entering the university restroom to change with Lisa trailing behind her with a broken heart.

 

After reaching the university, Lisa rushed to her first class leaving Jieun standing in the middle of the rain with an umbrella, glancing at her wrist watch every 5 seconds with a frown on her lips. Her day couldn’t be worse. Just then…

 

“Jieunnie!” A voice squealed and Jieun turned to where it came from to see Jennie Kim, captain of the basketball team, and there are two things you need to know about Jennie and that is 1, she thinks she’s cooler than what she really is when in truth she is just a lonely owner of Kuma and 2, she’s a major flirt who never stops trying.

 

How did the famous Jennie Kim and I-don’t-know-how-to-smile-or-laugh Jieun became friends? Well they’re classmates in Math class and since the captain of the basketball team failed horribly and needs at least a B to continue playing, the professor assigned Jieun, the top of the class, to tutor her. And that is how they became friends.

 

“You’re 45 seconds late.” Jieun monotonously said as she shared her umbrella with Jennie who gave her a cheeky grin.

 

“Well…”

 

5 minutes earlier, Jennie got out of the game meeting and saw one of the cheerleaders, Tzuyu, by the field. Jennie went near her and was about to ask the chinese to dinner at 8 when..

 

“Dinner at 8?” Jihyo asked Tzuyu which the latter said yes to. And Jennie frowned before making her way to where Jieun was to see Sandara Park who was standing by the Gym.

 

“Hey.” Jennie said winking at Dara but she froze when she saw Chaerin coming out of the Gym, probably out from Basketball practice, and took a run for it to Jieun.

 

“Idiot.” Jieun muttered as she shook her head before a small smile appeared on her lips. Jennie Kim always managed to make her smile.

 

“Yeah, but I’m your idiot.” Jennie said before putting an arm around Jieun while grinning widely.

 

“Excuse you, I don’t have any idiot in my life.”

 

“Ya! You’re so mean to me!” Jennie whined as she and Jieun slowly walked to Lisa’s classroom. On the whole way to their friend’s classroom, they just bickered back and forth with the other students watching them amused. They were already used to see the bestfriends making a ruckus wherever they are.

 

“Oi, Lalisa. Stop drooling over Sana.” The two arrived at Lisa’s room and Jennie poked Lisa’s cheeks who was watching Minatozaki Sana run across the corridors, probably late to her class again.

 

“You have to agree, she is hot thought.” Lisa sighed dreamily with her eyes forming hearts as she smiled widely.

 

“True.” Jennie nodded and joined Lisa at gawking at the school’s number one player. Jieun just shook her head at Lisa and Jennie.

 

“You guys are hopeless. Come on. Let’s go to class.” Just as they were about to go, Sana ran by the classroom they were in and winked cutely at Jieun which made Jennie and Lisa’s jaws drop. Jieun frowned before rolling her eyes.

 

“Tsk. What a flirt.” The youngest muttered before walking of their next class with her two friends following her with expressions of disbelief on their faces.