Chapter 2: Stupid new Neighbor

White Lies

 

Jieun drummed her fingers against her desk, fighting the urge to hit Jennie’s  head with a book as the girl was once again gawking at a new girl at their class, not even trying to hide the fact that she was looking. Jennie’s mouth opened as she was about to ask about the girl when Jieun beat her to it.

 

“Nayeon, same year as us, transferee, and in a relationship.” Jendeuk gave a sheepish smile at Jieun as the girl gave her a death glare. She was used to it. Jieun had always been like that. It’s like the whole world is her enemy ever since her dad died.

 

Having two energetic friends was enough to drain her energy for the whole day but now she cursed her luck as once again, the rain was pouring as she got out of her last class. Sighing, Jieun grumpily made her way to the library when she heard someone singing from the Music room. From the door, she saw a silhouette standing in front of the members of the Dance club. Perhaps she’s their new vocal teacher after Ms. Bom left? Or is it a transferee?

 

Jieun shrugged before noticing the rain had stopped just as the music from the room stopped. She quickly ran out of the university and made her way home, humming quietly as she walk, not knowing that the girl she was looking at earlier was walking just behind her.

 

That evening, Jenny, Jieun’s Mom, gathered all of her children at Sohye’s room after dinner. It was around 9:00 pm as they prayed together as the snow falls outside. Rose, who was just done washing up and was gazing outside her room, saw them from the balcony of her new home. She can’t help but smile at the cute sight of the family, and she smiled more when she saw Jieun hugging and kissing Sohye goodnight before leaving the room.

 

The next morning, Jiwon and Sohye sat side by side watching the basketball game that the American guys were playing on their street.

 

“Pass it! Pass it! He’s open!” Jiwon shouted as he pointed at the open guy but the player holding the ball ignored him and tried to shoot but failed.

 

“What are you doing guys?!” Jiwon frowned, completely frustrated at how awful the guys were playing.

 

“Why don’t you come teach me, you little sht!” The guy who shot shouted which made his friends erupt in laughter before continuing their game.

 

“If I could’ve played then I would’ve show you how it’s done.” Jiwon muttered as he frowned, looking down at his crippled legs.

 

“Hello Boy. Hello Girl. Hello doll~! A girl who looked sweet greeted them with a wide smile before sitting between Jiwon and Sohye.

 

“Who are you? What are you doing here?” Jiwon said before moving away from the older girl and gesturing at Sohye to do the same.

 

“M-mommy said not to talk to s-stranglers.” Sohye said as she clutched to her penguin toy tightly. Jiwon shook his head before pointing at his younger sister.

 

“Not stranglers, strangers.” The young boy said, squinting his eyes at the stranger who just laughed at them.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m Rose, your new neighbor. I live across you.” Rose said as she pointed at the house directly from the siblings’ house.

 

“No, that weird old uncle Seunghyun lives there.” Jiwon countered back, crossing his arms. Rose laughed but stopped when she realized something.

 

“Hey, that weird uncle is my uncle.” Rose said before pouting playfully which made Jiwon cover his mouth and Sohye giggle.

 

“Oops. You made a boo boo~.” Sohye said as she pointed at Jiwon while giggling. Rose smiled fondly at them before talking.

 

“Yes, he made a boo boo. But it’s okay. I know he is a little weird. But I heard he has a thing for a weird old lady here too.” Rose whispered at the kids as she playfully nudged Sohye who giggled.

 

“Hey! That’s our grandma you’re talking about.” Jiwon said as he scrunched his nose, glaring his eyes playfully at Rose.

 

“Oops, I made a –“ Rose said before turning to Sohye who smiled widely.

 

“Boo boo~” Sohye said before giggling once again. Rose laughed and as she was about to say another thing when a loud shrieking voice disrupted the whole street’s peacefulness.

 

“Aye, What is this? Beggars in the US?” Rose said as she frowned, looking for where the horrific singing is coming from.

 

“Not beggars, that’s our Grandma!” Jiwon said as he covers his ears with his hands and everyone on the street did the same.

 

Rose frowned before making her way on the street to see a window on the second floor of the house. She whistled and clapped her hands to catch the attention of the old ladies singing on the top of their lungs.

 

“Hey Ahjummas! I’m sorry to stop your singing, but everyone here is still too young to lose their hearing!” Rose shouted which made Jiwon and Sohye laugh along with some of their other neighbors.

 

“Hey! Who are you to try and stop us? We are trying to offer our praises to our dear ancestors!” Grandma Kim shouted as she glared at Rose who was now hiding behind her uncle Seunghyun who came down from their house.

 

“I’m sorry, Miyoung ah. My niece is just a bit mischievous.” Seunghyun said as he shoos Rose away but the girl just stayed behind her uncle as she saw Jieun who was now wide awake as she opened her room’s window.

 

“Why are you so noisy in a Saturday Morning?” Jieun grumbled but her face softens when she makes eye contact with Rose who was now smiling widely at her with her eyes forming crescents. Sure, Lisa’s smile was cute. But Rose’s was breathtaking, not that Jieun would admit it.

 

“Specsy.” Rose muttered as she saw Jieun fix her glasses. She smiled sweetly at Jieun which the latter replied with a glare. Rose then turned her attention to Jieun’s mother who was standing in front of their house with Sohye. Jieun then later joined them.

 

“You must be Mrs. Kim. I’m Roseanne Park Chaeyoung, but you can call me Rose. You’re just as beautiful as your daughter.” Rose said as she patted Sohye’s head before winking at Jieun whose jaw dropped.

 

“W-wha--?” Rose then raised an eyebrow at her before turning to Sohye.

 

“Am I right, Sohye? You’re beautiful like your mom.” Rose said before grinning at Jieun who glared at her. The older of the two teenagers inwardly smiled at how cute Jieun was.

 

“I must say Rose-ssi, our street had never been this lively before.” Rose nodded a bit before looking around.

 

“I know, it is a sort of a boring street.” Rose said as she smiled again at Jieun who rolled her eyes at her.

 

“Psh, yeah right.” Jieun scoffed which made her mom nudge her.

 

“Is she born this way?” Rose asked Jenny while smiling, amused. But it was Sohye who answered her.

 

“She’s always grumpy.” The little girl said which made Mrs. Kim and Rose laugh and Jieun frown more.

 

“Anyway, Mrs. Kim, I wanted to ask you this since I met your daughter.” Rose glanced at Jieun before grinning and turning to Mrs. Kim.

 

“I want to marry your daughter.”

 

“WHAT?” Jieun’s voice might’ve been heard all the way to Korea as she stared at Rose in disbelief. But the latter just stared at her calmly with her lips tugging in to a smirk.

 

“Do you mind? I’m talking to Sohye. Sohye ah, will you marry me?” Rose picked Sohye up who giggled and smiled as she saw Jieun’s red face. She must’ve taught that Rose was talking about her as Jenny’s “daughter” that Rose wanted to marry.

 

Jieun never felt so embarrassed like she is right now. She glared at Rose before stomping her feet back to their house which made Rose grin.

 

“Interesting.” Rose thought as she watched the younger girl enter her house.

 

“Stupid new neighbor! Ugh!” Jieun grumbled before stuffing her face into her pillow and screaming on it out of frustration.