It’s Been A While

Through The Lenses [EDITING 2/22]

10 It’s Been A While (Oraenmaniya; 오랜만이야)


Tzuyu stands at the entrance of FNC building. It hasn’t been long since Baekhyun dropped her off before going to SM Ent. Building. It’s been exactly a week since the trip and Youngkyun has already gone back to their dorm the very next day. Tzuyu was shocked by the sudden decision he has made but she thinks it’s for the better.

“He still has to practice to make up for the days he was off, right? Their concerts are fast approaching so it’s better for him to go back to his brothers and…make up with them,” Tzuyu thinks.

“Excuse me, miss. Aren’t you coming in?” The security guard asks Tzuyu who is still lost in her thoughts of Youngkyun.

“Ah, yes. Here’s my ID.” Tzuyu hands the guard her ID in exchange for a company guest ID. She smiles kindly at him and goes inside.

 

Walking in the hallways of the building gave off a different vibe to her. For her, it feels bizarrely familiar. What makes it stranger is that she clearly remembers the ins and outs of the place as if she’s been here numerous times before. Without any guidance and signs, she finds herself right at where she’s supposed to be at.

She knocks on the door of the meeting room and opens it. “Hello, good morning. I’m Chou Tzuyu, the official photographer for this upcoming concert tour.” She bows.

“Oh, Ms. Tzuyu! Come, come. Please take your seat,” the guy in his 20s welcomes her enthusiastically. “If you haven’t known me yet, my name is HanHo. I’m the manager of SF9. I heard a lot about you since Hwiyoung came back.”

Upon hearing that, Tzuyu can’t help it but ask. “How has he been? He just disappeared the next day and only left a note saying he already needs to go back to practice. His phone is also turned off.”

“Oh, he didn’t tell you? He turned his phone off and surrendered it to me and said it’s to avoid distractions while he practices. He’s really practicing rigorously.” HanHo smiles and clasps his hands on the table. “Okay. Now that we’re complete… Can you brief Ms. Tzuyu about this comeback’s concept?”

“Ah, this comeback’s concept is about sacrifices for love. Yep, so they should come out as guys who are hurt but still they find themselves brave as they did the right thing—to let the girl go,” a woman in her 20s said.

“Oh, okay.” Tzuyu leans a little bit to hear more of the concept.

“It’s supposed to be sad, right? But it’s not. It’s because it’s more about letting themselves go. Like, a character development? Growth? Something like that,” HanHo explains further.

“They’ve grown after letting her go and then they come back as stronger guys,” the woman agrees. “I’m Inha, by the way. I’m SF9’s head stylist. It’s quite late but yeah, nice meeting you.” Inha extends her hands to Tzuyu and they shake hands. “Ohmy, you really look good! I thought that kid just exaggerates. Your looks could be that of a girl group’s member too!” 

Shyly, Tzuyu laughs. “Thank you.”

“Do you really accept our offer already? Are you finally going to be SF9’s official photographer for thi-,” Manager HanHo got interrupted by the hasty incessant knocks on the door.

“Manager Hanho! Manager! Manager HanHo!” Dawon bursts in to the room. “Hwiyoung!”

Tzuyu suddenly stands from her seat. “What happened?”

Dawon looks at her. “Who’s she?” He points at her and then hides behind HanHo.

HanHo laughs and steps aside to reveal Dawon. “She’s your official photographer for this comeback.”

Still worried, instead of introducing herself, Tzuyu asks, “What happened to Youn-Hwiyoung?”

“Oh. I’m Lee Dawon. I see you already call our baby by his real name. I’m Sanghyuk! My real name’s Sanghyuk, in case you haven’t known yet.” Dawon flashes his brightest smile at her but Tzuyu didn’t bother smiling back. “What happened to Youngkyun?”

“Oh, he’s just teasing me and he won’t stop.” Dawon turns to face their manager and continues, “He keeps calling me as I practice for our song. As soon as I am to answer his call, he would hang up. He uses Chani’s phone, by the way. I think they’re together right now and probably hanging out in a chicken store. Manager HanHo! Help me! The maknaes are teaming up against me!” Dawon attaches himself at HanHo like a 3-year-old. 

“Taeyang doesn’t. Wait, excuse me,” HanHo excuses himself and walks out the room with Dawon attached to him still. 

“That’s a regular occurrence, Ms. Tzuyu. I hope you enjoy working with us.” Inha smiles.

 


“Everyone, gather! Hurry up, hurry, hurry!” Manager HanHo calls SF9 from the corner of their practice room. Dawon is still sitting beside him and Inseong, Jaeyoon, Rowoon, Taeyang, and Youngbin gather around him. Chani and Youngkyun are still at their universities and Juho is working on something at the studio. “Today, you’re going to meet your official photographer for this comeback. Her name is-,” Manager HanHo is interrupted by the kid sitting beside him. Yes, it’s Dawon.

“Chou Tzuyu. She’s really pretty. She’s the girl Hwi keeps on talking about to us, Taeyang. Do you remember? That morning he came and he wouldn’t shut up about leaving a girl named Tzuyu without leaving properly,” Dawon reminds Taeyang.

“Jennie sunbae-nim’s bestfriend?” 

“Yes, that’s right!” Dawon jumps off his seat in excitement. “She actually looks like a member of a girl group. If I hadn’t known, I would’ve mistaken her as a new trainee!” He tells the others.

“Aish, I was supposed to be the one to introduce her to all of you but Dawon…you’re still a big mouth as ever! Anyway, I’m going to bring her here. Just a moment.” Manager HanHo excuses himself to get Tzuyu from the meeting room. “Ms. Tzuyu, let’s meet the boys.” 

Tzuyu follows Manager HanHo to a room filled with silence and a vibe of anticipation. She is greeted by five pairs of curious eyes and Dawon’s unfailing bright smile.

“Hello. I’m Chou Tzuyu but you can just call me Tzuyu. You don’t have to call me Ms. Tzuyu. I hope we enjoy working together.” She bows at them.

“Wow. You’re really pretty, huh?” Rowoon says and looks at her from head to toe.

“You remind me of a flower but I just can’t remember what it’s called,” Taeyang says and thinks in silence after that.

“No wonder Hwiyoung’s head over heels on you,” Jaeyoon shakes his head. “Am I right or am I right, Inseong?”

“Yeah. Hwiyoung wasn’t really kidding when he said you’re prettier than me.” Inseong extends his hand. “I’m Kim Inseong.” Tzuyu reaches for his hand to shake it but when she held his hand, Inseong spins her. “Nice meeting you,” he smiles at her before letting her go.

“Heol, boys! Calm down.” Youngbin looks at Tzuyu apologetically. “Sorry, it’s just that these boys are really curious with matters like this because they haven’t really met each other’s significant other so…” Youngbin trails off. “Nice meeting you. I’m Youngbin.”

Tzuyu smiles at the boys. “Nice meeting you all.” 

“Oh, I think Chani and Hwiyoung are already coming. They must have heard you’re here and cut their after-class adventure short,” Dawon dances to his excitement. “I wonder how Hwiyoung will look like upon seeing you!” And it’s the boys’ cue of mercilessly teasing Tzuyu as if they hadn’t just met each other five minutes ago…

“Is Hwiyoung cringe-worthy? You know, like saying cheesy things?” Rowoon asks.

“Or is he trying his best to keep his cool image in front of you?” Jaeyoon pulls out a chair and offers it to Tzuyu. “Sit. Sit. We still have a lot to ask you.” 

Tzuyu sits and laughs. “He’s…cute.”

The boys dropped to their asses on the floor and wriggled. “This is so crazy!” Jaeyoon scratches his neck and his body as if it’s really itchy. “I’m allergic to people in love, ugh!”

“Did he rap for you? Like, rapped a verse or two, freestyle about how much you mean to him?” Inseong asks further.

“Fortunately, no.” 

The boys stopped wriggling on the floor when the door opens. 

“Hello, Tzuyu. I’m Chani. Please take care of me.” Chani greets her as if he’s really been expecting her in ages to come and flashes his angelic smile as if he didn’t bother Dawon earlier with Hwiyoung on the phone.

“Hello, Chani. My name is…,” Tzuyu trails off seeing Youngkyun behind Chani.

“Tzuyu.” It didn’t come off as completing her sentence but rather a greeting. A stiff one.

“Hello, Youngkyun,” Tzuyu smiles brightly at him as though she wasn’t left by him a week ago without any clear explanations.

The other door that connects the practice room to a studio opens and the remaining member of SF9 that hasn’t shown himself to Tzuyu yet waltzed in the room.

“It’s been a while, Tzuyu,” Juho greets her but the way he mentioned her name seemed like it has rolled on his tongue a many times before. There’s the familiarity on his tone and Youngkyun can’t help but watch Tzuyu’s expression.

On Juho’s arrival and greeting, Tzuyu grew curious of him by the way he put it. “Have we met before?”