Mobile Friendly

INTERPOLATION
 
All Chapters in one place.
 
Chapter 1
At the peak of the day, this unpredictable city decided to be sunny and oddly warm in the middle of winter. The not-so-quiet library became baked with the suns’ heat, poor ventilation systems and the heat of people with food. Just when I need a quiet seat to work on my assignment that’s due in a few hours, I can’t find one.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, so here I am dealing with two love birds in front of me as I sip on an overpriced watery iced latte in the Uni coffee shop . Even worse, I’ve been stuck on the same question for the past twenty minutes.

Fingers pressed to massage my temples as I began to lose hope in the ridiculous question. “Remind me why I took math as my major again?” I sighed exasperatedly, knowing full well Jaz will reply.

“Well-”

“It was a rhetorical question.” The male in front cut his girl off with a kiss

“Thank you Junhong. But lighten up on the PDA please.” I moved my gaze back to the page. I didn’t need to look up to know Jaz was upset with the way she began to pack her belongings.

“Not my major, not my problem.” Came her reply though gritted teeth. I’m in no mood to play with her either, this is 5% of my grade on the line.

“Oh come on babe.” Her sweet boyfriend coerced. I watch as I get diabetes with their sweetness. “You know we haven’t had lunch yet.” The lad made suggestive eyes to his girl, ignore what I said before.

“Jaz tone it down a little, Junhong go grab me a bite. I’ll pay you back.” I picked up my pencil again to work through the problem again as Jaz spoke up again.

“You can’t talk, you’re always broke-… ”

“Uh, babe lets grab some lunch. Our friend here needs to get help for her math problem.” Junhong spoke before walking away from Jaz, a particular glimmer in the couple’s eyes makes one fight a grin.

“Two of best friends are ditching on me, loving the single life here guys.” Love really does things to people.

“You’ll thank us for it. See you at 3.” Jaz chirped. And I already knew I’ll be crying in her arms in a few hours. RIP me.

Silence lingered over the table until a shadow cast over the table. “Hey.” That unmistakable voice involuntarily stopped my pencil and tilted my head up. “Mia, right?”. Holy he actually knows my name... Jung Daehyun, the cute wallflower. Everyone knows him by face, but the lad mainly keeps to himself. “Junhong said you were stuck with the MATH202 assignment.”

Those two are so ing done for.
 
Chapter 2
“Y-yeah” my voice failed me. “Just this one part. Have you done it?” In this major you either have flirts or guys who don’t shower, Daehyun is exceptional and unnoticed. Neat but casual fashionable dressing, he removes his leather messenger bag and pulls a chair out with a gentle scrape of wood to wood.

“Partly, just one question left. ” The waft of his cologne fill the air as he seat himself opposite me. Messy but lean blond locks parted to reveal that gorgeous forehead of his. Did I forget to mention he’s handsome? I swear I'm not a creep, but believe me when I say this. If you were to personify the sun it'd be Daehyun. “Where are you stuck?” he voiced.

“Question 3a. The interpolation question.” My voice worked and so did my hands as I slid my working over to the man in front of me. Vanilla latte arrived at our table, long fingers curled around the cup and parted to take a sip before the lad hummed.

“You’re a little ahead of yourself, according to your working.” Daheyun sighed before turning the book back towards me, pulling out a pen to use as a pointer. “In this line what kind of interpolation were you using?” he asks.

“Liner Interpolation. I know we’re dealing with bilinear interpolation but I don’t understand where I’m going wrong when I do this part.”

“If you look at the data, and try to plot it on your calculator, you should get an error, right?” My head bobbed as I took in his explanation. “It’s because it’s a piecewise function. If you adapt your working little, you should be able to get the solution easily now.” He smiled. Taking in everything, it all made sense. A small thank you slipped my lips before I kept my head down and worked on the problem, a beet red face isn’t what I want to reveal.

“Got it” a small smile crept its way onto my lips.

“Nice” a half assed reply came. Eyebrows furrowed and lips sealed shut in concentration I leaned forward to peer at his refill pad. Question 2b.

Putting forward a pen as a pointer, the sun kissed man leaned back in surprise. “You forgot to note down the index here, you carried it down your working but lose it right there. Keeping your working online with the equals sign will make it easier to track your work” came my sincere guidance.

“Thanks” he smiled.

“Most people take offence such words, I’m glad you understood what I meant.”

“I doubt you’d try to offend me when we just met”

“You’re right in that case but this isn’t first time we’ve met.” His puzzled expression was all the confirmation I needed to assert my efforts were for waste. “We’ve had labs together since first year. I doubt you’d remember your lab partner though.” I smiled bitterly. I’ve been trying to get this guy to notice me for so ing long I’m tired now, it’s not happening. Look, he only knew my name because Junhong asked him to help me. Nothing else.

“Well, then pardon my rudeness.” He excused himself to hold out a hand. “Nice to meet you, I’m Daehyun, second year Bachelor of Science in Math and Physics”

“I’m Mia, second year Bachelor of Science in Math and Physics. Nice to finally meet you.”

“Likewise.” Pearly whites gleamed back as the grooves and callouses of his hands fit against mine own soft hands with perfection untold.
 
Chapter 3
2:30pm. Packing up my belongings, Daehyun finally looks up again. “Don’t you want to submit that assignment on time? The faculty is a good ten minute walk from here.” He sighed. “I haven’t finished this question yet.”

“Need a hand?”

“All good, I can do this.”

“You know, asking for help doesn’t make you look dumb.”

“I doubt you did the Finite Binomial Differentiation question.” Pink lips pursed into a thin line as he plotted the wrong numbers down, and this guy just doubt my skills in math. Hah!

“Oh, that one’s easy. You have a Facebook, right?” I asked, pulling my phone out of my bag.

His sceptical “yeah?” is all I needed.

“I watched this video that works through the question really well. The question wasn’t too different from the one we have.” Copy pasting the message I sent to another friend, I put my phone back in my pocket. “Let me know if you’re still stuck, I’ll send you a picture of my solution to guide you.”

A buzz of his phone had him tapping away at the screen. “You didn’t add me as a friend?”

“School work first, friendship later.” I smiled before stepping away. A single step outside the coffee shop broke my façade and here I am trying not to cringe at my actions. A gentle buzz on my bottom had me reaching for my phone, tapping away to see what the all the buzz was about. I stared at my screen as it sank in. Jung Daehyun has sent a friend request.

Can this be real? Another buzz drew my attention opening up the recent message my lips curled into a smile. “Thanks, this helped a lot Mia. See you around Mia :)”.

Jung Daehyun was officially my friend.
 
Chapter 4
4pm lecture.

Same spot, same routine.

Hopefully.

Daehyun filed into the row ahead of mine, but today he waved hello with a tight lipped smile before moving down the empty row into his usual seat.

“Looks like you got somewhere” my friend giggled.

“Shut up Jaz.” Gosh, why are we friends again?

“I know you well enough to know what you’re thinking. You eyed that guy so much and when you lost all hope finally he notices you.”

“Jaz, the lecture’s starting.” Himchan whispered. Tapping my fingers away at my phone for Himchan’s screen to light, the lad beside me scoffed at his screen.

Fifty focused minutes passed with ease. Pad paper with notes on alkane alkehen and alkynes slid into my bag. Backpacked students filing out of the theatres, an arm bumped into my shoulder with practised ease. “If you’re so thankful for e saving you from Jaz’s obnoxiousness, Pizza’s on you tonight” the familiar culprit spoke up.

“I have barely enough money to go home today Himchan,” I sighed. “If the bills come on time don’t expect me at uni until payday.”

A relaxed arm slung itself around me shoulders. “I’ll pick you up, no one misses out on their education infront of me.” Yongguk’s deep voice came from behind. With eased practise I shrugged the arm off my frame.

“Yongguk. If you weren’t gay I would have married you by now.”

“Nothing’s stopping you from marrying Yongguk, FYI, the straight guy.” He laughed. Embarassment flooded your system.

“Himchan told me you were gay. Trust me I don’t like believing this idiot”

The culprit hummed in thought. “You’re straight?” Himchan asked only to get Yongguk grabbing him in a playful headlock.

“Yongguk. Spare him two minutes of your attention too, you’re flatmates aren’t you?”

“Oi!” Himchan protested. “You make him sound like a king”

“He is a king, but communism over autocracy of any kind.”

A sultry laugh escaped Yongguk’s lips. “There’s a chapel 10 minutes away from here Mia.”

“We’re not in Vegas” HImchan bit in making us laugh.

“But you serious about driving me to uni?”

“No,” the jerk scoffed. “I live on the other side. I’ll take you anywhere else in my way though, no biggie.”

“Ask me if you need anything, I’ll help out as best as I can.” Himchan smiled. “This guy drives like a snail.”

“I guess I’ll have to look into things today.” I sighed, stopping just before the exit. It’s pouring cats and dogs out there.

“We’ve got a class on the other campus in town, get home safely Mia” Himchan waved as he pulled Yongguk with him.

A few minutes passed and so did the rush. Lectures began while people cleared out to go home or to their hangout spots but here I stood, in a dilemma, do I wait this rain out or do I go home? If I miss my bus I’ll get sick and will miss out work so less money. If I go now I will still get sick but at least I’ll be home in time to take care of myself.

A red Suzuki swift pulled up in front of the exit steps. The passenger window rolled down to reveal Daehyun, smiling softly, pointing to his phone.
 
Chapter 5
Subtly taking the hint as the device buzzed against my , I pulled out my phone to see what he’s playing at.

“Need a ride?” - Daehyun.

“Depends. Where are you headed?” – Mia.

“Towards town.” – Daehyun.

“Can you make a stop at the bus stop?” – Mia.

“Depends. Where are you headed?” – Daehyun.

Biting back a smile I typed my reply.

“Touche. I’ll take a bus towards Northland.” – Mia.

“Sounds like a plan. You sure your boyfriend won’t mind?” – Daehyun.

“He won’t mind. He doesn’t exist.” – Mia.

“Yongguk’s a nice guy, don’t do that to him.” – Daehyun.

“I found out he’s not gay around ten minutes ago.” – Mia. I had to laugh this guy’s adorable.

“Then what are you waiting for lol” – Daehyun

Is this guy serious? Quickly running down the steps to enter his car, I was greeted with a slight smile with soft greetings. A towel passed to me in silence to dry myself was all the interaction I got before he sat back, pulling away from the kerb onto the road. “Thank you for offering the ride Daehyun.”

“Don’t worry about it, it’s the least I can do for your help today” he replied.

“Oh. Like I said, don’t mention it. I’m not the give-and –take type.” I brushed the topic off.

“I didn’t think you’d be so lenient.” He turned to face the front, a side profile like his

“You have a lot to learn about me. Good things take time” my body and voice became lax against the heated seats.

He failed to bite back his grin as plush lips spread into a smile, clearing his throat before pulling a straight face again. “I apologise for thinking you and Yongguk were dating. Both of you seemed very close though.”

“He’s like an older brother to me. It’s hard to believe him and Himchan are the same age.”

“I know right. They’re great guys but they’re worlds apart.” Breathing through his teeth as someone dangerously intercepted him, the calm driver sighed. “And it’s only the start of the traffic.”

“You’ve got a lot of patience to be driving around in this weather.” I commented as grey raindrops rolled down the window.

“I’m not a patient guy, but I’ve got company so it’s alright.” he drummed long fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the song on the radio.
 
Chapter 6
The car ride was filled with little conversation. In half an hour, I had learnt Daehyun lived with his family a few streets away from myself with a sister and his parents, he lived in the nicer part of the suburb. I on the other hand lived with Jaz, Junhong and this smart mouth Youngjae. He laughed at the smart mouth part a little, turns out he agreed with me. Pulling up in front of my flat, I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to Daehyun to thank him.

“Actually, I overheard you and your friends after class.” He began, rubbing his nape sheepishly.

“I figured out that much.” I smiled albeit pathetically. “I know you live with your parents but flatting while studying is not easy.”

“I understand that, but if you ever need it, we can carpool to uni. Same major, most of the same classes, I’m sure we could work it out easily.” He nodded.

“I’ve come to understand you’re a give-and-take kind of person, so how do I repay you?”

Daehyun looked to the gear stick and pursed his lips in thought.“I give you a ride to uni, you give me your time in the ride to uni. Whether it be in silence or conversation. Deal?”

“I don’t deal that way.” What is he, a flirt?

“No? Ah, that’s sad.” He smiled pathetically at his steering wheel, defeat evident on his fact. “I enjoyed the ride with you today though.”

“I understand you live with your family, you’re using your parent’s petrol. I may be able to give you my time, but I need to repay your parents too,” I reasoned. Consider me to be overthinking, but I know when to be grateful.

“Well, the best way to win someone over is through their stomach.” He grinned.

I’m glad we think alike. Stepping out of the car, I bent down to say some last words. “Let your parents know of your plans to carpool, as repayment I can make dinner for your household once a week.”

“I can tell you right now you’ve won them over.” He smiled from his seat as the door closed, deep brown of his eyes luring one in deeper to his charm. “See you tomorrow, I’ll drop by at 8.”

A gentle wave of my hand from the gate and he sped away. It took a second to realise something; I had a dumb smile plastered to my face. The sound of house slippers to concrete stole my attention, there’s only one man who does this.

“The genius finally made his move. Did you catch a ride with him?” turning around to see your flatmate in his bathrobe, PJ’s and slippers coming out with a paper.

“He offered and it was raining. Why are you out here dressed like that Youngjae?” I questioned, he’s a nerd to the core even as he munches on an apple in such untidy attire.

“I’ve known that guy since we were in diapers.” He pointed to the red car driving away. “He doesn’t do anything for free.”

“He’s not doing anything for free, I’m making his family dinner.” The keys to the front door clicked into place and the wooden door swung open with a timely grace. Youngjae peered over my shoulder as he asked his next question.

“Did he ask you of anything?” feet scuffled along the ground.

This guy and his interrogation…“Just my time when I get a ride.”

“He also never gives rides. Not even me.” Round eyes peered form behind thick black glasses.

This is getting ridiculous. Exasperated I turned around and spoke a little louder than normal. “And what am I supposed to do about that?”

A straight face looked back at me before the usually mellow voice turned cold. “Understand that if you hurt him I won’t let you be.” Heavy steps continued down the hallways until Youngjae shut his bedroom door.
 
Chapter 7
One week of car pooling became two. Two became four. Week by week, every Thursday Daehyun would return home with a warm Pyrex dish and a note. The first week was Shepherd’s Pie. Second week was Lasagne. The third week was a last minute broccoli cauliflower bake. Each Friday, a clean Pyrex dish and a note came in reply, a sweet comment on my cooking bought a smile on my face despite the university stress.

Daehyun opened up to me like flower in spring, over time it was just the right moment when he became himself. He laughed more, smiled more. We’d study occasionally. He’s still a noob though, never really checking his phone when there’s an important text on it. Like how our lecturer is sick so we’re free for an hour, which is why I’ll be with my friends instead of class. I hope he saw my text or he’ll be the only one to sit in an empty lecture theatre.

“So has he asked you out yet?” my best friend chimed as I texted Daehyun of my whereabouts. I expected this from Jaz, not Himchan. I scoffed at his question, he can’t be serious when he knows there’s been nothing of the sort happening between Daehyun and I. “Can you get off your phone for one damn minute?” the deep voiced culprit swiped my phone from my fingertips. I got up after Himchan immediately, my demeanour changing from playful to serious.

“Give it back” my voice came out low. How dare he use his height to take my things from me.

Where Jaz had been my biggest worry with her obnoxiousness, her obnoxiousness is actually benefitting. “Oi! Don’t be rude, give it back.”

“Himchan hyung that’s not cool” Junhong frowned. “You’re violating her privacy.” He continued as the immature elder chuckled at the contents on my phone.

“Yeah but look, he’s seen-zoning her.” Himchan laughed. This is embarrassing, jumping to reach for my phone was my final attempt. Rolling my ankle on landing, I fell to the ground with a yelp seeing stars. Warm hands slid underneath my legs and behind me back, lifting me off the ground and onto a free sofa. A familiar scent filled my nostrils

“You okay?” came Jaz’s voice. The figure that carried me moved away as Jaz moved her ice cold water bottle to my ankle.

“What are you? Five?” Came Daehyun’s voice, I didn’t need to be able to see to know he was talking to Himchan. “There’s a thing called privacy. And when someone tells you to stop, it’s cowardly not to listen.”

“It’s cowardly to not change for the girl you like.” Himchan retorted.

“Guys, we’re in public. Please.” I begged.

“I know what you’re playing at Daehyun, if you hurt her I won’t let you be.” Himchan spoke before grabbing his belongings.

“She’s hurt because of you.” Daehyun remarked as Himchan walked away.

As much as it angered for me to see Himchan that way then, little did I know I would be paying such a hefty price for my silence today.
 
Chapter 8
Himchan ignored me then, but I knew the guy. I knew he was sad, so when Yongguk called and asked what happened I wasn’t surprised. What surprised me was hearing my best friend sob. “Yongguk I need you to pick me up, I’m staying over at yours tonight.” I spoke into the phone as I reached over for a duffle bag.

“Catch a bus.”

“I’m on crutches. Are you going to be this way?”

“Get your boyfriend to drop you off.” He sighed.

“I don’t have one. Are you offering to take the vacant position?”

“I’m not joking, get Daehyun to drop you off.”

I had to stop at this. “You think we’re dating?”

“Rumour has it.”

“Well I’m not dating him. I’m injured and I need a ride.”

“I’d pick you up but the car is being repired. I’m serious it’s not an excuse. You’ll need him to drop you off.”

“Fine, make sure you have a free bed. Bye”

My finger hovered over the call button as I contemplated calling the neighbour. I may have been silent at what he said to Himchan but I wasn’t happy. Jaz helped me all the way from uni to the hospital, stay with me and going home together. Am I upset at Daehyun? Yes, I am. Will I get him to make up for it?

Yes, I will.

“Hey, you called?” Daehyun answered, uncertainty lacing his voice.

“Yeah, I need your help. Actually, you need to do something with me.”

“How is your ankle-”

“Listen.” I cut in, losing my cool a little. “I need you to pack a bag for a night and pick me up.”

“Mia you act as if this isn’t the most suspicious thing you’ve ever said.”

“Daehyun, I need to do this. Please.” I pleaded. A beat of silence later I heard a sigh on the other line.

“I’ll be there in ten.” He replied and hung up.

A man of his word, ten minutes later I was halfway down the steps when the doorbell rung. Balancing crutches on the stairs isn’t easy, but when your friend’s face is covered in worry and he rushes to help you it’s easy to fall into arms with reality. Reality being you’re being carried down the stairs and reprimanded for your stupidity as he lowers you into the car seat. I feel a fever creeping…or is that just embarrassment. I don’t know, but I know now that he was the one who moved me to the sofa this afternoon.

“Where are we going?” he asked as he started the car.

“To the corner store.” I replied, pulling out my wallet. “I need to buy some things.”

“And then?”

“Himchan’s house.” His lips were pursed with distaste, I knew he was against the idea. A woman needs to be stubborn when she needs to get things done.
 
Chapter 9
The door opened to Yongguk’s face morphing to shock. “Oh my god woman! Give me those bags.”

“Where is he?” Daehyun asked the elder from behind me.

“I didn’t think you’d actually bring her here. He’s in his room.” Yongguk answered as he moved down the hall into the living room. Stepping into the house, I turned to see Daehyun still at the porch.

“Remind me why I’m needed here?”

“To see what your sharp words can do to people.” I replied, ignoring the slight throbbing pain in my ankle.

Daehyun leaned against the doorframe, scoffing at my statement. “That guy acted like a child and got you hurt.”

“If we’re going to be friends, you’re going to have to respect the people around me too.”

“I don’t tolerate my friends getting hurt!”

“And I don’t tolerate it when people cherish are hurt!” The words came through gritted teeth, patience has taught me to hold back my anger but Daehyun has tested me too much today. “Himchan has been my pillar the same way Youngjae has been yours. Do you get it now?”

The look in Daehyun’s eyes changed ever so slightly, anger slipped into confusions. Turning into the hallway, cold fingers sat on the door handle as I gathered strength to enter the room. The door creaked open as the figure on the bed writhed into a corner, unwilling to be disturbed. Daehyun’s breath ghosted over my shoulder from behind, I knew his thoughts. There lay in a bundle of blankets my best friend, his back toward me as he continued sobbing. My biggest worries were set aside, no blades were seen. Walking up to the bed, a cautious hand landed on Himchan’s arm, causing him to still. A call of his name had the man sit up and turn around, tears stained the handsome elder’s cheeks as swollen eyes brimmed with tears at the sight of my crutches. Sniffled became sobs as both his hands reached clasp one of mine. “I’m sorry I hurt you. I’m sorry Mia, I’m so sorry.”

“You didn’t hurt me. Sure you acted dumb for a moment but you didn’t hurt me”

“I’m always dumb, I’ve always hurt you.”

“Enough of this, you know that’s a lie. And even when you hurt me it’s has always been on accident.” “I know your heart is pure, and it hurts me to see you like this.”

“I’m sorry I hurt you. I promised him I’d keep you safe.” He sobbed as the promise came back into mine.

“You’re doing it just fine. Trust me, it’s fine.” I assured the lad although his gaze sat fixed on the figure at the door.

“Why did you bring him here?” he changed his tone.

“Because he was dumb to make you feel like this.” I replied.

“I…I got carried away.” Daehyun rubbed his nape as he came closer. “Sorry Himchan, Mia’s right about everything she just said”

“I’ll let you two have a moment with Daehyun’s half-assed apology.” I excused myself from the room for a glass of water for the crying boy.

Fast forward a few hours and here we are now, on the living room floor playing UNO and eating junk food from the corner store. Masculine cheers rang though the house as the boys succeeded in making me pick up 12 cards at once. “Y’all are mean.”

“Love you too babe.” Yongguk commented.

“You’re the worst of them all!” Himchan shouted. “Stop picking on her like a creep.”

“You joined in and made me pick up four, you can’t talk!” I may be shouting but goodness, this banter is what I live for.

“I know, it’s late. When’s your first class tomorrow?” Yongguk stretched as he got up from the ground.

Collecting the cards on the floor Daehyun cleared is throat.“We all have PHYS301 tomorrow. Everyone be up by 7 and I’ll drive us into uni.”

“Ooh, no give and take? This is something new.” I commented while clearing the chippie packets.

“A bed and breakfast for a car ride sounds like a decent deal” plush lips curled into a smirk.

“Heartless, oh so heartless.” Himchan tsked as he walked towards his room.
 
Chapter 10
“For goodness sake Himchan will you hurry up?” Himchan pounded on the door.

A sigh involuntarily left my lips, “Remind me why I thought a sleepover at your place would be a good idea.”

Pouring scrambled eggs on the sizzling pan the scent of hash brown and sausages wafted in the air as I continued watch over them on my stool. Himchan had been kind enough to give me his bed because of my ankle while he took Daehyun into the living room. Guilt has bought me into the kitchen to make breakfast for all.

“Mm, smells divine.” Came the honey voiced man. Droplets of water dripped from his hair onto Daehyun’s shirt. Sun kissed skin and gleaming brown eyes so early in the morning were bound to lose my composure.

“Morning, now make yourself useful and load the toaster will you?”

“As you wish,” the lad strode past and did as asked in a comfortable silence. The sound of crockery to wood came soon after, it was nice of him to set the table too. “Mia, you’ve got a phone call from.”

“Just leave it on speaker on the counter, my hands are full.” I called over the extraction fan. Leaving my phone on speaker beside me the lad reached over to turn the fan off. Himchan’s gonna be pissed at the smell. “Morning Youngjae, can you do me a favour?”

“Sure, as long as you fill me in on why you eloped with Daehyun last night.” The idiot chimed from the other side. A snort resounded behind me as I resembled a tomato.

“That could be us but you keep saying no Jae.” Daehyun laughed softly.

“I have standards. By the way, Jaz is losing her because you’re missing and Daehyun’s parents dropped by to ask about your escape driver.”

“We were just having a sleepover at Himchan and Yongguk’s place. Tell Jaz I’m okay and I’ll see her at uni soon. Also, could you grab my binder book for me, please? Today’s coffee’s on me.”

“Daehyun’s rubbing off on you, I like it-”

“And you don’t like me?” the cheeky culprit chimed, pressing closer to my shoulder. A Cheshire cat grin spreading wider knowing the light blush that filled my café.

“See you at uni Mia.” The call ended with a plop on the other side. Daehyun’s expression at being ignored by his friend was hilarious but the mark to his pride was cut short with the toaster popping bread on time.

“Ooh, what’s this? For me?” Himchan smiled while walking in. Just in time, I was plating up everything from the pan.

“Only the best repayment for your hospitality.” I grinned. “Could you bring this to the table.” With that, the four of us sat down for breakfast. A pot of coffee finished along with playful banter. An unhealthy American-style breakfast using everything from Himchan’s freezer and Yongguk’s beloved eggs was all devoured in twenty minutes, hums of pleasure and compliments to my cooking thrown in the air again. I’m glad I can be of some use to my friends, I rely on them too much. The residents took it upon themselves to load the dishwasher while Daehyun and I packed for uni.
 
Chapter 11
“You sure you can go to class in this state?” Concern laced Daehyun’s voice as everyone prepared to leave the car.

“I can’t risk staying home, plus we’ve got the group project to begin working for.” Came my reply as I opened the door.

“Be sure to let us know if you get sick, I’ll talk to the lecturers for you.” Yongguk spoke as he handed my crutches.

“Thanks class rep, let’s get to our lecture then” I smiled. Crutches swung back and forth in rhythm as we moved closer to the lecture theatre. The boys goofed off on their own and my other friend joined the crowd. Daehyun and Youngjae talked and Himchan teased Junhong while the others laughed, Jaz walked beside me as we savoured this interaction between our friends.

The hours passed with typical classes and university stress. Tired limbs slumped against Daehyun’s car seats, making breakfast this morning didn’t help as well. Pulling out his phone Daehyun called someone, speaking in hushed tones as I drifted off into dreamland. The car hummed to life as sleep overcame me, a peaceful and comfortable silence fell in the car.

Twenty minutes later I woke up to Daehyun driving, he had just entered our suburb. “Rest well?”

“Yeah, I didn’t think the today would take so much out of me”

“No kidding, you even drooled.” A hand to my mouth revealed his bluff as Daehyun laughed on, thinking I didn’t notice he didn’t turn into my street. “Why are we going straight?”

“Well, I’m not letting you cook something when you’re unwell. And my mother has been wanting to meet my mystery carpool friend”

“Daehyun. I’m wearing a giant sweater I stole from Himchan’s closet on top of a pair of white jeans along with mismatched shoes. Turn around, I need to change.”

“You look fine, trust me. And why do you need to dress up? They’re just my parents.”

“The people who let you drive me around with their fuel money, yeah, I’m fine with that.”

“It’s not their fuel money.” He laughed softly. “I pay the gas for my car.”

“So I’ve been sending meals to your family for no reason?”

“Bringing happiness out of pure goodness from one’s heart isn’t considered no reason.” He began poetically only to laugh at my unamused expression.

“I hate you. I feel like a fool.” Overthinking comes easy, this is so embarrassing.

“That’s okay, I can work around that.” He grinned as he pulled in front of a humble home in the pretty part of suburban Northland. Ruefully stepping out of the house thundering footsteps barrelled towards his front door. The door swung open to reveal a little girl with Daehyun’s eyes enlarging at the sight of me.

“IT’S A GIRL!” she called back into the house. Muscular arms under my frame ended my struggle with crutches on the stairs to his front door. The child came back and screamed again “MOM HE’S CARRYING HER INSIDE! BRIDAL STYLE.”

“Daehyun you cannot get more embarassing.” I harshly whispered only to have him chortle in response and I can’t do anything as Mrs. Jung barrels down the hallway in her apron.

“Oh hello! It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. Daehyun put the poor girl down”

“Thank you for having me here at such short notice. I’m Mia by the way.”

“More like M.I.A” Daehyun’s sister laughed.

“Yeah, sounds about right to me” I sighed. Dinner tonight will be an arduous task.
 
Chapter 12
I didn’t think Daehyun’s household would be so…loving. And genuine. I wore mismatched shoes to their house and I was literally carried into their home by their lone son but instead of being judged I was welcomed with open arms. I guess judging my cooking was the most I could get form the Jung household.

Mrs.Jung was a beautiful woman, she turned her rugged southern accent into something y and her son had definitely picked up on it too. It was nice to see a family keeping close to their roots. Mrs Jung worked away in the kitchen and I sat atop a stool. Daehyun acted as sous chef, chopping vegetables and clearing the dishes as Mama Jung worked her magic on the stove. “You make cooking look like less of a chore.” I sighed, at the woman moving about her kitchen elegantly.

“Cooking is an art form” the woman smiled. “When there is love and devotion, everything becomes art”

“She looks cool when she cooks too” Daehyun added.

Pausing at her sons statement the woman rested a hand on her hip and judged her son. “And when have you seen her cook.”

“Just this morning, I made breakfast” I butted in. “Normally I prepare your dinner dish before leaving for uni with Daheyun.”

“And what did you make?”

“Something simple really, we just emptied my friend’s freezer -” Daehyun came around behind me to clamp a hand over my mouth.

“She made an American style breakfast, minus the pancakes and sweets. There were eggs, sausages, hash browns and mushrooms.” He bragged, “It was just enough for us” he finished with a glance to my face as a distance too close for comfort as his mother watched on. Swatting his hand away the lad grinned and moved back to his station.

“That’s not easy to make. I’m glad you kids had something yummy to eat she smiled.”

“I doubt it was as good as that broccoli bake.” Daehyun’s sister smirked while carrying a bowl of soup out of the kitchen. Slipping on the tiled floor the girl fell to the ground, spilling her soup on me and herself. “Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” she apologies profusely while her brother sent her a death glare.

“It’s alright, it was an accident.” Pulling the sweater away from my frame I looked to Daehyun. “Could you grab my bag from the car?”

“Sure, I’ll show you to the bathroom first.” He answered. Once in the bathroom I stripped into my underwear and soaked Himchan’s sweater immediately, finding some detergent in the bathroom to gently clean the sweater with. My pants weren’t salvageable with the crimson soup staining them.

The rapping of knuckles on the door led me reaching my hand out of a crack from the door. A white sweater sat in my hands along with some leggings, but they weren’t mine. Taking the hint, I decided I’d question his motives later, especially when the sweater smelt of his cologne.

Stepping out and back to the kitchen, Daehyun’s sister gasping dramatically didn’t help. “She’s wearing his favourite sweater” she cooed.

“And she looks good in it” came a comment from a hard-faced middle aged man. Mr.Jung was an older version of his son, the struggle of life hardening the man’s face but keeping the gleam in his eyes. A dumb smile remained plastered on both father and son’s faces throughout dinner.
 
Chapter 13
“I hope you enjoyed our hospitality tonight” Mr.Jung smiled.

“Thank you for treating me so well. I should take my leave.”

“Daehyun, go drop her off, it’s very late.” Mrs.Jung ordered.

“I’m not letting her limp all the way home.” Daehyun laughed as he pocketed his keys. “Let’s go?”

“Yeah, let’s go- Oomph!”and I was back in daehyun’s arms as he walked down the steps to the house to the car. “Daehyun put me down this is embarassing”

“You’re so light, did you even eat?” he teased.

“I had three serving now put me down.” I admitted and patted his shoulder to put me down.

“Come back again soon!” the little one waved from the doorstep.

“I’ll try when I’m not on crutches ,” I laughed as the idiot finally lowered me to the ground. Pulling out of the driveway, we both knew the ride was going to be a short one. “Can you explain why I’m wearing your sweater and what I’m guessing are your mother’s leggings?”

“You can’t be wearing dirty clothes at the dinner table with strangers can you?”

“I also didn’t need to wear your favourite sweater.”

“Eh, keep it. It looks better on you anyways.”

“Daehyun-”

“I hope you liked my family’s company tonight, you really won them over with your cooking and good looks.” He blurted. This is awkward.

“You think I’m good looking?” A beat of silence filled the car. “I saw hesitation. It’s okay I know I’m not the prettiest.”

“It’s not like that”

“Screw it.” A gentle push to the door slammed it shut. “Thanks for the ride home, as punishment for being a jerk lunch is on you tomorrow.”

“Good night, beautiful.” He smiled before my crutches swung back and forth, the car didn’t move from it’s spot as I entered the house. Only upon turning on the lights to my room did I see his car finally pull away from the kerb.

Only then did I realise the alight pain in my chest once he drove away. It wasn’t the kind the doctor could fix.
 
Chapter 14
Friday morning routine consists of a little happy dance in the morning to Friday by Rebecca Black, don’t judge me on this one. The buzz of my phone pulled my attention as I interrupted my happy dance and paused the music. “Hey did you see my mustard sweater anywhere?” came the caller.

“I wore it to uni yesterday, didn’t you notice?”

“Stop stealing my clothes.” He scolded.

“I’ll wash it for you, okay?”

“Where have you been? Jaz was asking about you again last night, I told her you and Daehyun left together like usual. She said you didn’t get back home last night.”

“Oh I got back home, just a little late. Remember how I cook for his family on Thursdays?”

“God I hate it when you cook for them.” I had to roll my eyes at this part.

“Things changed up and I went to his place for dinner instead.”

“You what!” He shouted, my poor ear began to ring “Stay away from him.”

“I’ll think about it, my ride’s here, catch you later.” I finished and hung up on him.

Daehyun’s puzzled expression didn’t go unnoticed. Neither did his silence. Nore did his awkwardness. Was wearing his sweater to uni a bad idea? “Daehyun, if you want your sweater back all you have to do is ask you know.”

“Oh no, that’s not it” he laughed, albeit awkwardly. Clearing his throat he broke the thick silence. “Hey, look, I’m sorry if I offended you last night.”

“What part?”

A sigh escaped his lips ad a free hand raked back loose blonde locks.“I think you’re beautiful” he blurted out. Stopping at a red light, he continued while looking ahead, “Inside, outside, and most importantly, when you’re beside me.”

“That last part was a little cringe.” It also made my heart skip a beat.

“Only the truth.” He smiled a little sadly. “I get it if you don’t feel the same way, but yeah. I’ve always wanted to tell you that I’ve liked you, a lot.”

“What would you do if I said I felt the same way?”

“Huh?!”

“I’m not repeating myself. You heard me.”

“I’m a little broke with lunch and now a date, but will some flowers and bubble tea do for tonight?”

“I was going to suggest working on that annoying MATH202 assignment but I really like warm taro bubble tea.” It was hard to bite back that full blown grin on my face when his hand fitted into mine so perfectly.

“Noted.” He grinned, pearly whites gleaming between plush lips. Here’s to the start of something good.
 
Chapter 15
Everyday for the past two months Himchan has been calling me in the morning. It’s not to say it’s always a bad thing but it’s not nice when you’re getting ready to go to uni looking all nice after that really important group project. And again, I get told to stay away from my own boyfriend.

“Himchan not this again-”

“Where are you now?” Himchan has been acting up like this ever since I told him Daehyun and I are together.

“I’m home-”

“Don’t you dare step out of the house, I’m coming over and I’ll take you to uni instead.” He commanded, the faint sound of keys jingling and doors opening only alerted me of his seriousness this time.

“Himchan-”

“You brother made me promise to take care of you and I’m not going to let Daehyun live if he tries to take you away from us.”

This was my final straw, the bitter words would leave my mouth through gritted teeth.“Jongup’s gone. He left a very long time ago.”

“Not in my books.”

“Jongup’s promises died with him!” My throat felt raw at the gravity of my shout. “We need to move on. YOU need to move on. When people leave so do promises, so we must continue living.” The sound of of a car starting only lead to scare me, knowing Himchan he would take pride in keeping to his word.

“Don’t let him get close to you Mia. Don’t do it or I can’t keep my promise-”

“You don’t have to keep your promise!”

“This isn’t the promise you know of.” Now I was rendered speechless. What is there I don’t know of? “You don’t get it. YOU are the promise. You’ve been promised, to me.”

“What the heck?”

“Jongup made me promise to keep you safe, in return you would be mine. It was his final wish-”
 
Chapter 16
“Enough of the sick jokes,” venom dripped every syllable as I picked up my backpack and left through the door.

“Why would I be joking about a matter like this?” he glowered. Gentle toot from outside revealed the red car I had grown accustomed to.

“See you at Uni, my ride is here-”

“I swear to God if you leave that house I don’t know what I’ll do-” cutting him off with the end call button, I grabbed my bag and carefully made my way downstairs. Did I believe my best friend, absolutely not. Was a scared? Petrified is the right word.

Daehyun smiled from the driver’s seat, I swear there was a ray of sunlight shining on him at that moment. Stepping out of his car, Daehyun walked over towards me. Time seemed to still as my feet carried me to meet him in the middle. Held in an embrace of warmth and love, plush lips pressed against mine own for a few seconds. My new favourite greeting. “I could have gotten a kiss form you in the car, I guess there was no need for me to get out of the car.”

“Sure, but you wouldn’t get my hugs”. I replied and squeezed his frame; Daehyun laughed that melodious laugh I’ve come to love. The sound of a speed racer stole my attention, the increasing volume and speed at which a familiar white car drove at caught my breath. Himchan’s car swerved out of control as he pulled up behind the little red car only to smash into it. Metal crunched and glass shattered as the little red car’s boot and back seats became sandwiched and the wreckage moved down the road. Daehyun held me close as he watched what could have killed him had he remained in the car like all other times. Himchan’s white bonnet had been crushed brutally, but a maniacal expression on his face turned my blood cold. A smirk of satisfaction plastered on his face, the lad broke out into wild laughter. Tear streaks down his cheeks glimmered in the sunlight as his eyes were wide open.

That could have killed us, and he was laughing? Was the person who could have killed us with full intention really my best friend? Slamming his car door open Himchan stumbled to the ground and went back to laughing. “Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer.” He shouted, uncaring of the blood trickling down his face.

Breaking out of my trance of fear, my feet pulled back towards the house. Unspoken fear had Daehyun and I moving towards the front door. A hand to my arm pulled me inside, Youngjae closed the door behind the pair of us softly.
 
Chapter 17
He hasn’t noticed yet but when he does all hell will break loose. The smart mouth began to shake as he grabbed a pair of keys. “Look, I’m scared but I’m driving to uni” his voice shook, fingers gripping the keys in a vice grip. “I didn’t know Himchan was out for blood.” Youngjae directed at Daehyun.

“You think I knew?!” Daehyun protested.

“I’ll make a diversion, you two, just get as far away from here as possible.” A knock at the door had Daehyun and I hide in the kitchen. Gathering his strength Youngjae went to answer the door. Peeping through the crack in the door, we watched what happened. The click of locks loosening and soon the door swung open for some sunlight to flood the hallway. Youngjae’s salutation was reciprocated with an apology. A deafening bang had all of us in shock; Youngjae choked on air and gripped Himchan, falling to his knees as blood began to pool around him. Blood has splattered on Himchan’s face, the man was unrecognisable.

And it’s at times like this when I begin to overthink. Himchan was a madman no doubt but something held familiarity. His patience had reached it’s limits, he was not going to take any more. “Mia don’t you dare step forward,” came Daehyun’s voice as his grip tightened out of fear. Pushing past my boy, careful steps up to Himchan rendered the man motionless. Raising my hands to hold the lad’s slender face the hardness in his eyes faltered, and there was my best friend again, all shaken and innocent.

“I’m right here. I didn’t go anywhere.”

Bloodied hands reaches up to hold my hand to his cheek. “You scared me. I thought you left.”

“I didn’t like your joke.”

“It’s the truth-” he cut himself of indignantly. “You know what, let’s end this here, If I can’t have you, so can’t he.” The cocked pistol raised in Daehyun’s direction he continued looking at me even as my hands slipped back to my sides.

With the lump in my throat as Daehyun stood at gunpoint, I barely let out a whisper. “Why are you doing this?” I pleaded.

The pause in his actions indicated he thought of his answer. “Limerance,” he replied. “You would never know, you could never relate-”

“I can.” My voice broke. Tears lined my eyes as I understood him. Try taking the feelings I have for Daehyun and multiplying them to the point you can’t breathe.

“It’s a pain. Unrequited love is a pain.” HImchan nodded and choked on his words.

“So you’re going to leave ours that way?” Daehyun spoke up. Himchan’s grip tightened around the handle of the gun. “You know, Himchan. You’re the reason I’ve had the courage to get this far with her. You’ve known it all from the start.” He shouted

“Yes, I know it all. I also know I can’t walk away.” Himchan shouted in reply, tears fells down his cheeks. “All is fair in love and war.”

Daehyun’s jaw hardened. “You’re right, all is fair in love and war.” A firm grip to my wrist, Daehyun pulled me into him with a force that made me shriek. Himchan’s gun fired and I felt a strong pain in my back and chest. Heaving a breath was painful and adrenaline coursed through my veins, the sound of my own heartbeat drowned out Himchan’s incessant cries. Looking up to meet Daehyun’s face, the lad winced, I guess we both had the same fate.

Legs giving way, groans and pants escaped our lips as we fell to the ground. Daehyun’s arms still around me, even as death neared I felt safe and loved with this man. Winding my arms around him to feel the wet patch on his back too, it was safe to say I knew where we were going. Himchan’s tries to get me out of Daehyun’s arms wouldn’t work, even as Daehyun’s grip slips mine holds the loving man a desperately as one holds the final sands of time

Where there is an ending there’s always a beginning. Whatever beginning I was going to get, if it involved this man and those loving warm brown eyes I would be happy with any outcome.
 
The End