Chapter 4

White Tulip

"Seokjoong!" His father yells in annoyance. "Please just let this go, once and for all. I'm done talking about this. A decision was already made. Don't complicate things." 

 

Seokjin couldn't help but overhear the conversation between his brother and father. It broke his heart to see that the only person who supports him whole-heartedly is his brother. His father didn't even give him a chance to introduce Namjoon and see what a beautiful human being he is.  

 

He makes eye contact with his brother and rushes inside his room. "Seokjin, wait!" Seokjoong ran up the stairs to catch up to his brother. Seokjin slammed the door behind him and locked it. He slid down to the floor and covered his face with his hands and wipes the tears that were threatening to fall once again.  

 

Rattling of the doorknob could be heard. "Seokjin, open the door. Let's talk." Seokjin choked a sob and immediately covered his mouth. "I know you're feeling upset because of dad, but you can't hide in there forever."   

 

Seokjin sighs. His brother is right. Eventually, he's going to have to face them before he leaves to the U.S. He stands up and unlocks the door.  

 

Seokjoong immediately hugs Seokjin as soon as the door opens. Both brothers held each other tightly and began sobbing, letting all of their emotions flow.  

 

A few minutes later, they settled down on Seokjin's bed, both staring at the floor thinking on what they're going to say next. Seokjoong turns his head and looks at Seokjin. "Hey. You know hyung loves you, right?" Seokjin nods without raising his head or glancing towards his brother. "I want you to be happy and I know father does too."  

 

Seokjin finally looks up, annoyance displayed on his facial features. "Like hell he does! If he wants me to be happy, then why can't he just accept my relationship with Namjoon?!" 

 

"Seokjin-" 

 

"No, Seokjoong! No! Don't try to justify father's actions." 

 

"Listen to me Seokjin!" Seokjoong sighed. He's never raised his voice at his brother. He knew that Seokjin is upset and rightfully so. But whatever their father has in mind, it's something that they both have to try to understand.  

 

"Look, I'm not trying to justify whatever father is doing. But you need to understand his point of view. Namjoon is a music producer and a rapper. You're a second heir to father's business. Father is concerned that Namjoon won't be able to provide and might be leeching off you-" Seokjoong can already see Seokjin puff up in anger, ready to retaliate but he continues, "and before you can say anything else, I know Namjoon won't. The mere fact that both of you are on different spectrums of class concerns father." Seokjin finally looks up at his brother and sighs. His brother has a point. As much as he doesn't like acknowledging it.  

 

Seokjoong takes the opportunity to take his brother's hands for comfort and continues. "There's nothing I can do for you. As you see, father has made a decision already. I wish that I could take you under my wing, but let's think about it this way, maybe going to the U.S. will be best for you right now. Hyung is here for you at all times. And whenever you're ready to come back, I will always receive you with open arms. Take this opportunity to better yourself and it could help enforce your relationship with Namjoon. Distance might be the best option for you right now." 

 

Seokjin hugs his brother and chokes a sob. He's grateful to have an older brother that understands him and always wishes the best for him. He wouldn't know what to do without him.  

 

Seokjoong laughs awkwardly and pats Seokjin on the back. "I'm sorry but I have to go back home. My love must be waiting for me to come home." Seokjin lets go of his brother and chuckles while wiping his tears.  

 

"Yeah sorry. Go ahead." Seokjin watches his brother stand up and walks towards the door hesitantly. "Hyung." Seokjoong turns to look at his brother. "Thank you for being here for me. I really appreciate it." 

 

"No need to thank me. But if you have any concerns or need anything, please contact me. I'm here for you." Seokjin nods and waves goodbye. He watches his brother leave and he lays back on his bed.  

 

Seokjin is left confused.  

 

How did this happen? How did things get this bad?  

 

His father never appeared to be homophobic. He had the same views his mother had. But what changed? 

 

Was it when his father caught them kissing at the front of his house?  

 

But if his father really was accepting of homouals, then what made his case different? Is it the mindset of "it's okay as long as it's not my kids?" 

 

He wasn't sure, but it's not like he can change his father's mind. His father made it clear. He's leaving. Far away from the one he loves.  

 

Ding! 

 

He received a message. He stood up, walked to his desk and picked up his phone. His heart broke. It read, "Namjoon". 

 

Why are you texting me right now? Damnit Namjoon... If only you knew.  

 

Ding! 

 

! Stop it...  

 

Ding! 

 

Seokjin hesitated. He knew what the messages were going to say and he wasn't prepared on what he's going to answer. He unlocked the screen and checked the messages. 

 

Namjoon: Hey babe. I'm sorry about earlier, but I really missed you and wanted to see you. I'm going to be free tomorrow and I was thinking on inviting you for dinner. It's been a while. How does that sound? 

 

Namjoon: Oh! I forgot. You must still be studying huh? Well, I'll let you study. Text me when you're available.  

 

Namjoon: I love you! <3 

 

Seokjin gripped his phone and covered his mouth, fighting the tears. Namjoon, you're making it really hard for me... I don't think I'll ever be able to let you go... 

 

Seokjin closed his eyes and took a breath. He breathed out and unlocked his phone. He began typing a reply when he received a message. Not from Namjoon. 

 

Unknown: Hey Seokjin! This is Jimin from Mochichim Cafe. Your friend Jungkook passed by the café and he passed down your number. I wanted to know if everything is okay. You seemed concerned about something and I couldn't get that out of my head all day. Please text me back once you see this message.  

 

What in the ?