Chapter 3

White Tulip

Seokjin stands in front of his home contemplating whether to walk in and head straight into his room or runaway and never come back. He would prefer the latter but he knows that he can't avoid his father forever.  

 

His father has threatened him for years to send him to the U.S if he didn't end his relationship with Namjoon. Seokjin ignored those threats. He's a grown adult. Who is his father to intervene with his relationship when there is no harm being done? Nothing would change his father's mind and it hurt. It hurt not having support from the only person he could trust.  

 

Nonetheless, Seokjin gathers all the courage and enters the home. Upon entering, his father stands facing him with crossed arms and a disappointed look on his face. Seokjin rolls his eyes and swerves around his father to head upstairs.  

 

"Stop right there young man." Seokjin halts his steps at the voice of his angry father. His father approaches Seokjin, grabs his arm and turns him around to face him. 

 

"You went to see him, didn't you?" Ignoring his father's question, Seokjin yanks his arm and continues towards the stairway. His father runs behind him and grips his arm tighter.  

 

"I told you to stop seeing that boy!" His father points his finger at Seokjin. "I'm not going to have a son of mine be in a relationship with another man. What do you think your mother would have done or said? Aren't you embarrassed? Have you no shame? Why can't you be like your brother and date a girl?" 

 

Seokjin shoves his father's arm away and confronts his father face-to-face. "I'm gay and this is my life. I choose who I can be with. What is so wrong about being gay? What is wrong with Namjoon? Namjoon has a lot to look forward to in his future." His father rolls his eyes. "But you know what makes Namjoon so special?" His father crosses his arms, tight-lipped. "He cares. He's supportive. He never compares me to my brother and he loves me for me, not for who he wants me to be unlike you."  

 

His father slaps Seokjin with so much force that Seokjin stumbles back and falls on a step of the stairs. "Don't ever disrespect me like that, you hear me! Go to your room and pack up. I've given you plenty of time to get rid of that boy, but now you've left me no choice. You're leaving next week to the U.S. with your uncles."  

 

Seokjin stands up, fixes his backpack, then stomps to his room.  

 

As he enters his bedroom, he throws his backpack across the room, lays on his bed facing the ceiling while cupping his left cheek with tears in his eyes. His father slapped him. They've always had their differences, but not once did his father ever lay a finger on him.  

 

Seokjin is overwhelmed with emotions. Shock, anger, and sadness courses through his body. 

 

He sits up and looks around the room. He spots a book on the shelf above his desk. Seokjin stands up, wipes his tears and as he walks towards the shelf, he hears screaming coming from downstairs. He tiptoes to the door and places his ear against it. "It's brother and dad!" Seokjin opens the door, walks out of his room towards the railing at the top of the stairs and observes the altercation.  

 

--- 

 

With a hand on his hip, Seokjin's brother exclaims, "Father, you're going too far. Did you need to slap him?" 

 

"Seokjoong, please. Seokjin got what he deserved. How dare he disrespect me when all I'm doing is protecting him from that brat!" Seokjin's father huffs in annoyance. 

 

Seokjoong rubs his face, sighs, and clasps his hands together. "Father, meddling in his relationship is not protecting him." He understands his father's intentions, but it's not a correct way of handling these matters. "Seokjin knows what he's doing and what he's getting himself into. Let him make his own mistakes so he could learn. He's been with Nam-" 

 

Seokjin's father extends his hand with closed eyes and threatens, "Don’t you dare mention that brat's name in front of me." 

 

"-Fine. The point is that Seokjin has been with that "brat" for how long? Seokjin is still one of the top 10% of his graduating class and don't forget that he takes over my position at the company when I have to take over yours when you're ill. His relationship hasn't changed a single thing."  

 

Seokjoong studies his father's features as he notices a change of expression. His father appears to be remorseful. Probably for slapping Seokjin or for discriminating Seokjin's relationship. The father shakes his head, straightens his back and flares his nostrils while feigning no emotion. "Seokjin is leaving to the U.S no matter what." 

 

"Father..." Seokjoong closes his mouth as his father raises a hand for him not to keep going. 

 

"I said what I said. Go help your brother pack up." 

 

Seokjoong rushes in front of his father. "At least let him live with me. I'll keep an eye on him, I promise." 

 

His father halts his steps and faces his elder son. "Seokjoong, you have a pregnant wife to look after. Seokjin would be a burden to the both of you." He waves his hand signaling for Seokjoong to head upstairs. "Now go on and help your brother pack up, we're done with this conversation." 

 

"But father..." 

 

"Seokjoong!" His father yells in annoyance. "Please just let this go, once and for all. I'm done talking about this. A decision was already made. Don't complicate things." 

 

Seokjoong watches his father walk away from him. He rubs his face and stomps in annoyance. He glances up the stairs and notices Seokjin watching him with sorrow and tears running down his cheeks.