Chapter 7

The Story of The King's Guard

It would be another day before they reached signs of civilization. They had decided to go the rest of the journey on foot with Minhyuk and Wonpil in their human forms.

"It looks like we're coming upon a town," said Brian as his orb came to a stop beside him. Wonpil hummed in response as his orb also came to a stop beside him. Sungjin looked around and spotted the town up ahead. "There it is," he said. "But is Dowoon here is the question," he said. "Chen says yes," said Brian. "So does Xiumin," said Wonpil. "I guess we'll see then," said Sungjin as he walked forward. The others followed after him.

An arrow landed at their feet and Sungjin jumped back, quickly grabbing one of his swords. "Wait," said Brian as he held up a hand. "If Dowoon is there, he wouldn't miss," he said. "At least, not by accident," he said. Dowoon hopped down from a tree, causing everyone to jump back in surprise. "Damn it Dowoon," said Sungjin as he laughs. Dowoon chuckled some before whistling for his dog, who came running. Junhyuk tackled Sungjin, making Sungjin fall onto his . "Ow," said Sungjin as he laughs when he was assaulted by . "Hey there, I missed you too buddy," he said.

"As silent as ever I see," said Brian. Dowoon shrugs before walking back into town. Junhyuk went after him and Sungjin stood, re-sheathing his sword before following after Dowoon. The others follow after Sungjin.

"How peaceful has it been?" Asked Sungjin as they reached a small house. "Somewhat peaceful, I have a rebel group in the area though, been keeping an eye on them," signed Dowoon. "Hm," said Brian.

"Erm, this may seem like an awkward question but, how come you don't speak?" Asked Minhyuk as he tilted his head to the side. "He can," said Sungjin. "But he prefers sign language, especially when we're in an enemy filled area," he said. "We all learned sign language actually," said Wonpil. "Dowoon takes advantage of it though," he said.

"Where's this rebel group?" Asked Sungjin as he grabbed his map. Dowoon came over and looked at the map before going inside to get a pencil before coming back out and marking their location. "This is where we are?" Asked Sungjin. Dowoon nodded. He then looked at another town before circling that one. "The rebels are here?" Asked Sungjin. Dowoon nodded again.

Brian came over and looked at the map. "Wait," he said. "Isn't that home?" He asked as he pointed at the other circle that Dowoon made. Wonpil came over and crowded in, looking at the map. "It is!" He said. "I wonder if our parents are still around?" Asked Sungjin. Dowoon shook his head. "Who's parents are still around then?" Asked Wonpil. Dowoon pointed at himself then at Wonpil. Sungjin had to take a moment as he basically threw the map at Wonpil before storming off somewhere to yell in frustration. Wonpil looked shocked as Brian went to do the same thing.

"Erm," said Minhyuk as he stood awkwardly. "Our parents were our biggest supporters when we chose to go to the capitol to start our military service," said Wonpil. "All of us made a promise to get them to the capitol when we had enough time to, and we never did," he said. "Then a famine happened a few years ago, and we tried but only Joshua managed to get to the capitol with his wife," he said.

"It's a sense of 'what could I have done to get them here faster' kind of thing," said Dowoon as he looked to where Brian and Sungjin wondered off to. "Especially for Brian and Sungjin," he said. "Both their parents were sick, and wouldn't have survived the initial journey," he said. "Jae didn't have parents, but everyone welcomed him into their houses when he needed to sleep somewhere," he said. "Especially if it was in the winter or something," he said. "He came from the capitol didn't he?" Asked Wonpil. Dowoon nodded. "He mostly stayed at Brian's," he said. "The rest of us had siblings and he didn't so it was easier to share the food," he said.

Brian and Sungjin came back after about half an hour while the others were in the house. Dowoon was working on lunch while Wonpil and Minhyuk went to the river behind the house to clean themselves off of the grime and dirt of traveling for so long.

Sungjin had beat himself up the most over it, because he had been the one to make the promise to bring their parents to the capitol. The others had joined in after he told them of his idea. "After everything, you'd think they'd still be alive," said Brian as he sighed. "At least you get to see your parents," grumbled Sungjin as he sat down on the floor next to his bag.

He noticed that Wonpil had put the map back in it so he took it out and looked at where Jae's circle was. "We need to get to Jae," said Brian as he came over. "We do," said Sungjin as he he traced the initial route with his finger. "This is the initial route, but there's another way," he said, tracing another route with his finger. "This road is a bit treacherous but it'll be quicker," he said.

"I think we go the safe route," said Dowoon as he walked over. "I don't think we'd want Minhyuk and Wonpil to get injured along the way if we take this route," he said, grabbing a pencil and tracing the second route. "However," he said, tracing a third route. "I do know about going this way to get to Jae," he said. "It's an old hunting trail that veers off here," he said, circling a spot. "Then we just follow the river along here," he said, tracing a line along the river. "Then we'll be out of the mountains and in the plains," he said. "From there we'll be in the eastern side of the kingdom," he said.

"I say we take that route then," said Brian. "I'll lead the way then," said Dowoon. "When we get done with the rebels here anyway," he said. Sungjin nodded. "Sounds good," he said.