Chapter 4

The Story of The King's Guard

Brian put his strategist mind to work to help them counter the enemy wolf pack that was on the other side of the bridge. Chen and Xiumin let them know ahead of time that they would be attacking in a couple days so they spent the next day or so planning on how to counter the attack.

"How's Mingyu doing?" Wonpil asked Sungjin as they took a small break from planning to go to the bridge to see what they could do. "Fine," said Sungjin. "He got into the queen's guard along with my brother," he said, smiling a bit. Wonpil nodded as he smiled. "He's been a loyal member of my pack, but when he said he wanted to go into the queen's guard I told him to follow his dreams," he said. "Don't let the pack hold you back from your dreams," he said. "I came back this way because my pack was here," he said as he looked up and down the river. "They did well without me, and now I'm back and still leading this pack as if I never left," he said. "Mm," said Sungjin as he examined the bridge.

"What do you think we should do?" Asked Wonpil as he watched Sungjin examine the bridge. "I'm not good at planning," grumbled Sungjin as he tilted his head to the side. "I think we cut the bridge," he said after a minute. "Let it get destroyed by the river or something," he said. "Have Brian throw in an electrical current into the water and we should be stopping most of the attacks but there will be those who will manage to get to us," he said.

"That's actually not a bad idea," said Brian as he walked over with two of Wonpil's pack members. "I talked it over with your betas and Minhyuk and Shownu are okay with the idea that I proposed to them," he said. "Which is basically what I said?" Asked Sungjin as he turned to Brian. Brian nodded. "There is another bridge 5 miles down stream," said Wonpil as Sungjin checked the map to be sure. "Oh, I though we were already at this bridge," he said, pointing to the one that was further down stream. "This makes sense I guess," he said as he nodded.

"How far can your electricity currents go?" Asked Wonpil as he turned to Brian. "Not too far," said Brian. "Chen has a limit for a reason, any farther and it could kill me he says," he said. "Is it far enough to stop an army of wolves?" Asked Wonpil. Brian summoned his orb to be sure. "He says yes," he said. "What does Xiumin think of this?" He asked. "Mm," said Wonpil. "He's been quiet, even when I did summon my orb to help you," he said.

"Hm," said Sungjin as he withdrew one of his swords. "Cut the bridge now?" He asked as he turned to Wonpil. "Go for it," said Wonpil. Sungjin nodded and cut the ropes holding the bridge up with his sword. He re-sheathed his sword before looking down at the water. "Well, when are they attacking?" He asked after a minute as he turned to Wonpil and Brian. "Tomorrow," said Brian. "Maybe tonight, but we need to be prepared either way," he said. Sungjin nodded and they headed back to camp.

Sungjin spent the next couple hours sharpening both of his swords since he noticed that they were starting to get dull. Brian offered to help so Sungjin pointed to his bag where he had an extra whetstone and Brian went to grab the other sword and sharpen that one after grabbing the whetstone.

Wonpil made lunch and brought it over to Sungjin and Brian before grabbing his own bowl and eating from that. "You always used to sit and tune your guitar like this," he said to start a conversation. "You two and Jae," he said. Sungjin hummed in response as he paused in his sharpening to eat. "Yeah," said Brian as he sighed a bit. "We need to get the others together again, those times were fun," he said. "We will," said Sungjin as he finished eating and resumed sharpening his sword. "Just need to push through this civil war," he said. "Not like we've been through war already," grumbled Brian as he resumed in sharpening Sungjin's other sword sword after he was done eating. "Mm," said Wonpil as he finished eating and stood, going to see if his pack needed help with anything.

It would still be a few hours before any word of an attack was coming came through. Sungjin had been catching up on sleep as he leaned against a tree in camp but was startled awake when he heard howling. Wonpil ran out of his tent, looking towards the sound. "That was Kihyun," he said. "He's signaling an attack," he said. "Let's go!" Said Sungjin as he scrambled to his feet. Brian ran over with Sungjin's swords, which were in their respective sheathes, and threw them at him. Sungjin caught one then the other and strapped them to his back. He then ran towards the river with Brian running after him.

Wonpil and the others were already at the river in their animal forms, growling at the wolves that stood on the other side. Sungjin and Brian showed up with Sungjin withdrawing one of his swords and preparing for a fight. When the wolves started crossing the river Brian went to the front and started sending electrical currents through the water, shocking the wolves and causing them to try and get around the electricity. When Brian started attacking so did the others. Sungjin leaped onto Wonpil's back and then Brian moved back as Wonpil and the others went into the river and to the other side. Brian hitched a ride on Minhyuk's back as the large wolf waded across the river. When they got to the other side the battle truly began as Sungjin hopped off of Wonpil's back and with a battle cry ran head first into the enemy with Wonpil behind him like they had trained to do. Brian stayed back and threw lightning bolts from Minhyuk's back as Minhyuk had to stay a little behind because he would be back up as the stronger wolves took the front.