Chapter 12

The Story of The King's Guard

Minhyuk was exhausted by the time they reached Jae and the others. He had been forced to run the entire way to the border without stopping because they had been chased.

"Jae!" Yelled Brian as they finally reached Jae's camp. Jae looked up from cooking as he heard his voice. "Brian!" He said. "We have company!" Yelled Brian as Minhyuk did a quick 360 turn and snarled at the enemy. Even in his exhausted state he would stand and fight. Shownu and Kihyun change and go to stand beside Minhyuk, snarling and baring their teeth at the enemy. Jae hopped onto Shownu's back and grabbed one of his knives. "Let's stand and fight then," he said. "Go Shownu!" He shouted and Shownu rushed forward, launching at the enemies. Kihyun howled before following after Shownu.

Minhyuk was forced to provide some long range cover as he moved around to let Brian and Dowoon to launch their projectiles. The enemy wasn't prepared to meet Jae and the others, getting caught off guard.

After a few minutes the enemy retreated for now, letting Minhyuk collapse where he was for now. "You did good Minhyuk," said Brian as he got off of Minhyuk's back. Dowoon pet Minhyuk on the head as he got off. Minhyuk wagged his tail a little as he let out a huff.

Shownu and Kihyun came back with Jae. "Good job Minhyuk," said Jae. Kihyun nudged Minhyuk up and pushed him back towards camp. Minhyuk whined in protest but he forced his body to walk to camp. Once he reached camp he collapsed right there and refused to move anymore than that. "Give him a break, we had to run non stop," said Brian as he looked down. Junhyuk came over and sat in front of Dowoon who smiled slightly and pet his head. "Glad you made it pup," he said.

Jae turned to Brian after making sure the food hadn't burned yet. "Where's...?" He asked. Brian looked away as he refused to look at Jae. Dowoon looked down, refusing to answer Jae. Minhyuk whimpered some as Shownu and Kihyun came out of their tents in human form, dressed. Jae looked shocked as he blinked. "They're not dead are they?" He asked. "As far as I know, no," said Brian. "But we aren't sure just yet," he said. "It's not a definite answer," he said. Jae nodded in understanding. "We just have to hope that they're alive," he said. Brian nodded.

 

~



Wonpil woke with a groan as he forced his sore body to move. He sat up and looked around his cell and spotting Sungjin beside him. He pushed his body to crawl over to Sungjin. "Hyung, hyung!" He said as he shook Sungjin. He looked around the cell and spotted some ragged clothes and went to put on some pants.

He then went back to check on Sungjin, making sure he was still breathing. Rough and bloody bandages were wrapped around his stomach area and he checked to make sure they were doing okay. He willed his ice magic to come to his fingertips and froze the wounds closed before tearing up the shirt and changing the bandages.

Wonpil looked up when he heard footsteps and quickly moved away from Sungjin, his back hitting the wall as he looked towards the footsteps. A guard had walked over, bringing food. The guard left the food in the cell before leaving. Wonpil heard his stomach growl and crawled over to the tray of food. He looked down at the food before dragging the tray back to where Sungjin was.

"Hyung," he said, gently shaking Sungjin. "Wake up, please," he said, looking worried now. "I can't do this alone," he said. "You always said I could do it, but I can't do this alone, I always did things with others," he said. "I will stay strong for you, but there's only so much I can do before I break," he mumbled. "Just wake up soon okay?" He asked.

 

~



A 6 year old Wonpil was playing with a ball he had gotten for his birthday. He knew no one liked his kind, but no one wanted to hurt a child. He had been left by his pack when they stopped here, and not knowing where to go, he was forced to work and use whatever money he earned to buy the essentials. He had to work for his food, which happened to be on Sungjin's family's small farm.

Sungjin and his brother came outside of their house and Wonpil had to duck behind a tree, peeking out to look at the two brothers. "Oh, Wonpil went to water the plants again," said Sungjin as he looked around the crops. "That's good," said Joshua.

Sungjin looked up, spotting Wonpil. "No need to hide," he said, walking over to Wonpil. Wonpil ducked behind the tree again. "It's alright," said Sungjin. Joshua ran over. "Come on, we'll give you lunch, our parents know you're here anyway," he said, holding out his hand. Wonpil came out from behind the tree, looking at Joshua then at Sungjin who both smile. "Come on," said Joshua as he grabbed Wonpil's hand and ran back to the house with him. "Don't run too fast!" Sungjin yelled after them. It was the beginning for a new friendship for the trio.

 

~



Wonpil checked on Sungjin again during the night, or what he had presumed was night time. He hadn't really touched the food, letting it go cold. He would stay strong for Sungjin. He needed to stay strong for his hyungs, they helped him and now it was his turn to help them, starting with Sungjin.

"Wake up hyung," he mumbled as he changed Sungjin's bandages and made sure the wounds were still closed. "I can't do this alone," he mumbled as he tried not to break down in front of Sungjin despite the fact that Sungjin was unconscious right now. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," he mumbled as a sob escaped him. He forced down the sobs as he quietly sobbed into his arms as he laid down in the fetal position.