Chapter 7

The Ace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The name had sounded oddly familiar at first, like it was not too long ago that Tao had heard of that name. A part of him was giving him red blaring sirens of warning when the beautiful male's name was announced, telling Tao over and over again that he heard of the name somewhere before this at some point and that he just couldn't remember when or where was that. Tao swore that the name sounded familiar, but he just couldn't remember how he came around into knowing the name and by whom was he told by. 

          "Are you okay?" Tao flinched and looked up to where the voice had came from — it was just Luhan, with doe eyes showing his worry and concern with his brows knitted and lips turned downwards. 

          Tao pushed the thought out of his head — he could deal with them later — and smiled at Luhan as he shook his head, "Yeah, I'm okay. Is there something wrong?" 

          Luhan purses his lips and tilted his head, trying to find something in Tao's act that Tao didn't know of. Luhan scanned Tao with such hard eyes that it almost felt like Luhan was trying to peel layers off of Tao like the latter was an onion, causing Tao to feel nervous under the stare and shift uncomfortably and uncontrollably from side to side. Either Luhan didn't notice Tao's discomfort or ignored Tao's discomfort, because Luhan didn't let up his stare and was still burning holes into Tao's body. 

          Tao prayed to the high Heavens that Luhan doesn't press about the topic again — it was making him feel uncomfortable. 

          Finally, Luhan shrugged his shoulders — like he gave up on trying to pursue whatever the thing he was trying to find — and looked away from Tao so he could get himself some dish on his plate. Tao bit his bottom lip before a relieved sigh could leave his mouth, not wanting Luhan to know that Tao wasn't just feeling like he was being roasted alive by Luhan's stare not a few seconds ago — although Tao didn't know why he should care if Luhan actually knows. It wasn't like Luhan would start questioning the sigh of relief and kill him if he doesn't tell him the reason — or, he would be killed anyway for the reason he sighed in relief — right? 

          Right? 

          Tao suddenly realised — at that moment — that even though he had been saved from Suho — a powerful and dangerous gang leader — he was currently taking refuge in another gang. This didn't sound right — actually, it didn't just don't sound right, this wasn't right. What the Hell was Tao doing here — note, in another gang — anyway? 

          'Oh yeah', he thought grimly, 'To escape yet another gang.' 

          This was ridiculous and Tao knew that very well. Why should Tao be trusting these people? Yeah, sure, if it weren't for them Tao will still be in Suho's underground hideout and possibly starving to death right now. Though that probably won't happen since they bring food to him, but Suho might do just that if Kris hadn't gotten him out anytime soon. That wasn't the point though. 

          Kris told Wu Lei to get Tao out of there and Tao was grateful for the two Wus, also not saying he didn't trust Jinfu since they had been friends for as long as Tao could remember. But as far as Tao's history with all things gang related went, they were not good — given, Suho's was the only gang Tao actually came across but even so. Wu Lei was still a member of a gang and Kris was the leader of said gang, so what could possibly stop Kris from ordering Tao's death? 

          Definitely nothing, that's what. 

          Tao was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even realise that he had stopped eating his food completely. Everyone around him didn't notice Tao's sudden change in behaviour except for the teenager-that-would-soon-turn-into-a-young-adult that was sitting beside him — not even Kris who was sitting directly in front of him had notice his sudden lack of action. Wu Lei looked at Tao with worry in his eyes, his own hand stopped moving as he waited for a reaction from the male. 

          "Tao," the boy finally called softly, gently shaking Tao's shoulder as he asked, "Are you alright?" 

          Tao instantly snapped out from his train of thoughts and looked towards Wu Lei. Wu Lei's eyes that were filled with so much concern immediately melted down every bit of doubt that Tao might have of the young boy. Tao didn't know why but something about Wu Lei was so genuine and Tao just couldn't find it in himself to blame Wu Lei of anything. 

          Tao didn't know why he wasn't treating Wu Lei the same way he had treated Baekhyun that day. 

          Tao smiled at Wu Lei and nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just got lost in my thoughts, that's all." 

          Wu Lei looked doubtful and wouldn't have continued to touch his food if Tao hadn't urged him to do so. After some protests from Wu Lei and prompting from Tao, the boy finally gave up and continued to eat his meal. Tao could very well see Wu Lei sending him worried glances from time to time and Tao didn't know why but he felt like laughing at that. 

          Wu Lei's so cute and caring, Tao wondered if that was the reason he trusted Wu Lei more than he would of any other people. 

          Tao thought back of Baekhyun again and it took all in Tao's will power to not show any signs that he was worrying over something that he was thinking. Tao made sure to not make it obvious that he was thinking about stupid things by eating his meal, albeit slower than before — way slower, but they probably didn't notice. Tao ate as he thought about Baekhyun and why he hadn't trust the latter like he trusted Wu Lei. 

          Baekhyun was caring just like Wu Lei sometimes. Baekhyun — like Wu Lei just now — would also ask if Tao was alright whenever he spotted Tao too deep into his own thoughts, as shown a couple of times when they were talking together and Tao's thoughts would suddenly trail off course. Baekhyun would be genuinely concerned about Tao like Wu Lei would. 

          Tao paused. Maybe that was it. Maybe, that was the problem. 

          Genuineness. 

          Baekhyun had been so friendly with Tao when the latter first met the former, but the moment Baekhyun was with Kyungsoo the other day in the mall it was like Baekhyun was a whole other person. Baekhyun was still cheerful and funny when he talked to Tao that day, but when he brought Kyungsoo out to Tao the former suddenly became all whisper like and dark. Baekhyun even threatened him, and Tao knew the look in Baekhyun's eyes anywhere. 

          Tao seen those looks before, especially in Kyungsoo's and Xiumin's eyes a month ago. 

          They were eyes promising death. 

          Although, Baekhyun was still nice enough — weirdly so — to give Tao some advice on how to perform in front of Suho and around others. Not only that, Baekhyun also worried about Tao still whenever the latter got too lost in his own thoughts. Even though at that time, Tao was Suho's prisoner and Baekhyun was suppose to be guarding him. 

          This seemed to confuse Tao a little. Does Baekhyun have Multiple Personalities Disorder? Or was Baekhyun bipolar? Baekhyun would be all nice and caring for Tao at one second, and then in the other he's suddenly threatening Tao's life. Tao was seriously unsure of what to make of Baekhyun's personality — whether the elder was a nice guy or not by heart. 

          All these weird thoughts was starting to make Tao dizzy and the male had to take a huge bite from his food in order to push those thoughts away. It didn't prove to be helpful but as he continued to chuck down more food, Tao's mind was suddenly concentrated on digesting the food in his mouth instead of thinking about random things. Slowly, the thoughts went away and Tao forgot what he had been thinking about just a few seconds ago. 

          "Kris," the male heard Luhan calling and he forced himself not to look up at the other as he heard the beautiful male said, "I need to talk to you after this." 

          It wasn't a request and there was an underlying tone that suggested that Luhan was demanding it. Whatever Luhan was going to talk to Kris about, it was important and probably about business. Tao wouldn't be surprised though — after all, this was a gang and he would be damned if Luhan was not trying to talk to Kris about business. 

          Kris only hummed, "Why can't you say it now?" 

          There was a hint of disapproval in his tone, "It's better that this is discussed privately." 

          There wasn't an immediate response but soon after Kris sighed, "Alright. Meet me at my office after breakfast." 

          Luhan didn't say anything and when Tao looked up, the male was already eating his meal. 

          Tao looked over at Kris and tensed when he saw the latter looking over, but not to Tao. Kris' eyes were on someone else and when Tao followed the gaze to where it was on, Wu Lei came into view. Wu Lei also seemed to feel the stares that he was receiving and looked up from his meal, a mouthful of spaghetti chewed halfway with strips of the noddles dangling from the corners of his lips. 

          "What?" Wu Lei said with his mouth full, voice muffled and he quickly — forcefully, too — swallowed down the spaghetti in his mouth to ask again, "What?" 

          Kris said after a beat, "Show Tao around the mansion, he might be staying here for a while so he might as well know his way around here." 

          Wu Lei seemed to brighten up at the request and Tao held himself back from chuckling as the younger asked, "Seriously?" 

          Kris seemed to notice his younger brother's excitement and smiled, nodding his head to confirm Wu Lei's question, "I'm serious." 

          Wu Lei was biting the bottom of his lip and Tao had to cover his mouth in order to not laugh out loud. Wu Lei was basically shifting around his seat and pumping his fists in the air cheerfully. Wu Lei was just so adorable when he was excited and Tao couldn't help the fondness that blossomed inside of him at the sight — no wonder Kris didn't look annoyed by Wu Lei like most older brothers would of their younger siblings. 

          Tao looked over at Kris to see how the latter was reacting to his younger brother's excitement and couldn't help the grin that spread on his face. Kris was looking so affectionately at Wu Lei, like a parent would to their child when said child was happy of something. It warmed Tao's heart to see these kind of siblings relationships and for a moment Tao envied the two for having each other since the closest he got to a sibling was Jinfu, and they weren't blood related. 

          Tao's eyes happened to trail off to look at the person sitting beside Kris — Luhan — and his whole body seemed to stop moving. Luhan was looking at Kris with furrowed brows and lips down in a frown — Luhan's lips were naturally in a pout, but this time the lips were obviously in a frown instead. There was disapproval shining in Luhan's doe eyes and Tao couldn't keep the frown from appearing on his face. 

          Luhan looked worried about something, but what? What was Luhan worried about? What was it that Kris said that seemed to worried Luhan so much? 

          Luhan felt a pair of eyes on him and immediately looked over to Tao who quickly looked down to his plate and acted as if he was eating and wasn't just staring at Luhan a moment ago. Tao felt Luhan's eyes piercing through the crown of his head and he looked up, confidently meeting Luhan's eyes and quirking a questioning brow at him — he was trying to act as natural as he possibly could. Luhan shook his head at Tao and continued with his meal, the latter sighing inwardly since Luhan didn't suspect anything. 

          Soon, Kris was done eating and he stood up from his seat with the plate and silverwares in his hand. Then, Kris left the dining room through the door connecting to what Tao suspected to be the kitchen. After Kris disappeared into the kitchen, Tao heard the water running and no one needed to be a genius to know that Kris was washing his dishes. 

          Tao didn't know why he was paying so much attention on Kris and quickly looked back down to his meal, eating it although he wasn't really that hungry anymore. The water had stopped running after a while and Tao willed himself to not look up and at Kris when he heard footsteps walking out from the kitchen. The footsteps stopped but Tao still didn't look up. 

          "Whoever is the last to finish their meals," the male started to say, "Please remember to put the leftovers in the refrigerator, if there's any." 

          There were sounds of understanding and with a nod and a hum of approval, Kris exited the dining room. Tao heard the footsteps walking up the stairs and slowly, the sound faded as they reached the first floor. Tao took one last bite from his meal before setting the silverware down and leaning back in his seat, staring at his plate which still had a little food on it. 

          Wu Lei noticed Tao not eating and nudged his side to gain his attention, "You're full?" 

          Wu Lei gestured to Tao's plate as he said that and with a glance spared to the plate and the food on it, Tao looked back to Wu Lei and smiled, "Yeah, I'm full." 

          Wu Lei hummed as he swallowed down his food before pushing his now empty plate aside, pulling Tao's plate towards himself and helping Tao to eat his food, "Can't waste food." 

          Tao only laughed lightly at the comment. 

          At some point while Tao was watching Wu Lei eating and waiting for the younger to be done, Luhan had also finished his own meal and was already heading to the kitchen with his dishes. Tao was surprised since Luhan was the last to enter the dining room and yet was one of the first few to leave. His thought process immediately stopped when he saw Luhan exiting the kitchen and he looked away, listening as Luhan walked out of the dining room and up the stairs to the first floor. 

          Not long after, Wu Lei had also finished eating and was standing up from his seat along with Tao. Tao took his plate from the younger and rushed to the kitchen, spotting the sink in a corner and making his way there immediately. Tao gently placed the dishes down in the sink so he could turn on the tap water, feeling the cold water rushing down into the sink. 

          Wu Lei stood beside and squeezed for the sink, his arms bumping into Tao's as they both washed their dishes. There were some scolding on Tao's part who kept telling Wu Lei to wait for his turn, but Wu Lei didn't care and instead dabbed some foam on the tip of Tao's nose. Tao scowled playfully at Wu Lei and splashed some water at the boy, who shrieked before laughing and dabbing more foam on Tao's face. 

          Eventually, the sink became a war zone as Tao attacked Wu Lei with water and Wu Lei with foam to Tao. They didn't stop with their battle until Zhixiang came in, stopping for only a moment to see what he would do. Tao half expected Zhixiang to start scolding them, but instead the elder only grinned as he placed the dishes down near the sink. 

          "You guys continue on with your fight," the elder said as he turned around and waved to them, "I still have a bath to take." 

          The two watched as Zhixiang exited the kitchen and stood there silently, not moving an inch. After a long while, they slowly turned to each other and blinked a few times, trying to comprehend what just happened. They decided to shrug off the thought and immediately afterwards, Tao splashed Wu Lei with water and the boy let out a war cry as he scooped up a bunch of foam and dumped it on Tao's head — who squealed in a not so manly manner. 

          The two didn't stop with their water-foam war until Ta-Lu came in, who gaped at the scene and scolded them for making a mess of the sink and the place around it. The two had apologised and offered to clean up the place later, but Ta-Lu shooed them off and told them to get out before he makes them. The two scurried out into the living room, not wanting to face Ta-Lu's wrath. 

          The two ended up needing to take a bath and change into some other clothes before their tour around the house — after all, they're both wet and covered with soap. Wu Lei brought Tao to his room and told him to wait for the younger at his room, saying he would pick him up later and they could tour around the house after that. Tao agreed before going into his room to take a quick shower. 

          Tao changed into another clothing set and waited for Wu Lei on his bed with the wet clothes in his hands. It was until Tao heard a knock on his door that he exited the room and saw Wu Lei standing in the hallway with fresh clothes and the wet ones in his hand. Wu Lei immediately took Tao clothes and ran off, forcing Tao to follow behind the younger if he didn't want to get lost and left behind in the mansion. 

          With a snap of the fingers, they were in the laundry room and Wu Lei dumped their wet clothes into the basket, turning to Tao with a wide grin and nudging the elder as he said. 

          "Come on," the boy grabbed Tao's hand and dragged him out of the laundry room, "Time to show you around this mansion!" 

          Tao nodded as his legs tried to keep up to the active teenager, his feet almost crisscrossing each other as he stumbled out from the laundry room in an ungraceful manner. Tao could barely care about how he looked at the moment though, he's just glad that he didn't trip on himself and fall down with his face smashed to the ground. Tao regained his balance after a few more steps and by that time they were already out of the laundry room. 

          Tao saw that the laundry room was actually beside the dining room and close to the backdoor, and Wu Lei was bringing Tao somewhere near the back of the house and close to the backdoor. Tao followed Wu Lei around the corner and saw that opposite of the backdoor, there was a door to a room. Tao was pulled towards the door and within seconds, he was entering a room. 

          The room was big but vacant with a few beanbags in the corners of the room and some pillows and blankets scattered on the floor, messily on top of one another. On the opposite side of the room, a television that hung against the wall stretched from one end of the room to the other — it was wide but short in height, like screens from cinemas. There were speakers on both sides of the television and under the television there was a rack filled with DVD casings. 

          "This is the movie room," the teenager told Tao as he spread his arms and gestured to the room, "This is the place where we sit back and enjoy a movie or our favourite shows. We try to avoid having to download shows and movies as much as we could. But if there's a show or movie that we wish to watch but couldn't find them in stores, then we would only download it." 

          Wu Lei said that as he walked towards the television and picked up something small on top of the rack, waving in his hand at Tao — it was a USB. 

          "Next up," the teenager commented as he placed the USB down and showed Tao out of the movie room, "The first and second floor!" 

          Tao followed Wu Lei out of the movie room and towards the living room, stopping for only a short moment for Wu Lei to explain, "Oh, and this the living room, as you could already tell." 

          "There is the dining room," the teenager said as he thumbed to the direction of the dining room, "But you already know that." 

          Tao nodded and his eyes trailed and landed on a door. 

          Raising a brow, Tao patted Wu Lei's shoulder and pointed to the door he saw as he asked, "What about that one?" 

          Wu Lei followed Tao's finger, eyes landing on the door and instantly recognition lit his eyes. 

          "That is the meeting room," he commented with a face, "You know, where leaders tend to gather around to have drinks and some chitchat..." 

          Tao turned away from the room too immediately and pushed Wu Lei towards the flight of stairs, "Up to the second floor we go!" 

          They reached the second floor but they didn't walk around it, instead only standing at the stairs as Wu Lei gestured. 

          "The second floor is mostly of bedrooms and guest rooms," the teenager shrugged, "Nothing special." 

          Then, Tao followed Wu Lei up to the third floor and followed the younger to a room down the hallway, entering said room when Wu Lei jokingly opened the door and bowed like a butler while saying, "Ladies first." 

          Tao kicked Wu Lei's leg lightly and playfully before entering, grabbing onto Wu Lei's wrist and dragging the teenager into the room with him. Tao's eyes quickly scanned the room and they almost dropped out from his eye sockets. Tao wondered if it was possible for jaws to go lower than the ground, probably dropping so far down that they might reach the core of the Earth. 

          Tao could easily tell that the room was a library — he be damned if it wasn't — but even so this library was not the mini kinds of libraries you tend to find in houses and sometimes schools. This library was large like a public library with about a thousand rows of bookshelves and tables after tables for reading. Books lined the shelves and under the tables there were neatly placed chairs, there were also papers pasted on the sides of the shelves. 

          "This is the library," the teenager told Tao, "Obviously a place for reading. You can find any genre you want — fantasy, romance, comedy. Anything, you name it!" 

          Wu Lei gestured to the shelves, "You just have to follow the papers pasted on the shelves. They tell what genres are placed on these certain shelves. We don't line our books according to alphabetical order so you might have difficulty trying to find the books that you want." 

          Tao nodded blindly, his eyes still looking around the library with his brain just dead from how big the place was. Wu Lei chuckled and dragged Tao out of the room, the elder stumbling behind with his eyes still glued to the library. They still had other places to go to and it was until the door to the library closed that Tao finally snapped out from his daze. 

          Tao was brought to another room and this time the room looked to be a gym. It was just as big as the library and Tao wondered just how big this mansion was. There were many equipments to be seen — a rack of dumbbells, a few treadmills lining the wall, cardio bikes lining along with the treadmills and so many more. The windows stretched from the ceiling to the ground, gifting them the perfect view of their backyard. 

          "This is the gym room," the teenager said enthusiastically, "This is where we workout and build our muscles." 

          Wu Lei curled his arm when he said that, poking at it and slumping as he commented, "I should probably build some." 

          Tao laughed at Wu Lei's comedic manner, nudging the boy out of the gym as he asked, "Any other rooms?" 

          Wu Lei immediately beamed, "Two more." 

          Tao smiled, "Then we better be quick." 

          The next room that Tao was brought to resembled a music room, only unlike the ones in schools with stages and stuff this musical rooms had a piano in the centre and a few cases placed to the side of the room. There was a raised platform to the opposite side of the room and some racks for music sheets were placed to one of the walls. There were some instruments decorating against the walls and just like the gym, the windows to this room also stretched from the ceiling to the ground but only on one wall unlike the gym which took up two walls. 

          "This is the music room," the teenager introduced to Tao, "We usually use this place to play some instruments and sing some songs. I come here sometimes but try to avoid this room as much as possible." 

          Tao looked at Wu Lei with surprise in his eyes, "Why not?" 

          Wu Lei looked sheepish, rubbing the back of his neck as he explained, "Well, I'm actually tone deaf." 

          Tao stared at Wu Lei for a moment, letting out an 'oh' in acknowledgement. 

          "Who used this room the most?" Tao suddenly asked, watching Wu Lei curiously. 

          "That would be my brother, Luhan and Zhixiang," the teenager paused as he thought for a moment, "Oh, and Lay." 

          Tao nodded, "I see." 

          Wu Lei shook his head, gesturing for Tao to follow him, "One last room to go." 

          The final room that Tao and Wu Lei visited looked similar to the gym but the difference was instead of workout equipments, the room was filled with something else entirely and Tao had to wonder just who on Earth in their greatest mind could ever be able to come up with such a room — of such an idea for a room — in their freaking house? 

          The room was equipped with — wait for it — what looked to be obstacles you would find in those kind of shows where people have to go through courses of obstacles before being dubbed with an awesome name, namely the title of the show they're in or something, like Ninja Warrior and stuff. Speaking of Ninja Warrior, the room had practically ninety percent of the obstacles from that show — there was a salmon ladder right in the centre of the room, cliff hangers against the wall, floating steps somewhere in the corner and some others. The room may or may not be based off of the Ninja Warrior show since most of the obstacles were from the show — he couldn't recognise the other obstacles seen in the room. 

          "This is the obstacle room," the teenager told Tao. 

          "Why do you guys need one?" Tao found himself asking, turning to look at Wu Lei who grinned. 

          "I knew you were going to ask me that," the teenager said proudly and Tao rolled his eyes, although not in annoyance. 

          "You may think this room can be used to build our muscles like the gym," the teenager shook his head, "But actually we use this room more for agility and speed rather than building muscles." 

          "We would time ourselves and see how fast we can finish one or all of the obstacle courses in the room," the teenager went on to explain to Tao, "And if we fail to complete a course, we would restart or redo the course." 

          Tao nodded, seeming impressed with what Wu Lei just told him, giving the room one more look before looking to Wu Lei and asking, "I believe that this is the last room you want to show me?" 

          Wu Lei nodded, "Yeah, this is the last one." 

          Tao nodded, looking at the room once again, "So, what now?" 

          Wu Lei shrugged, "I don't know either." 

          Silence accompanied them for a second. 

          "Let's go to the living room," the male suggested, pointing to the door. 

          "Yeah," the boy agreed while scratching the back of his head, turning on his heel and walking towards the door, "We do that." 

          The two exited the obstacle room, Wu Lei closing the door while Tao waited in the hallway with his hands in his pockets. Tao looked down the hallway, rocking back and forth on his heels as he tried to find something that might catch his attention. That something soon came into Tao's view and he set his feet down as he stared down at said thing that caught his attention. 

          There was a door down the hallway that Wu Lei hadn't shown him to. 

          Wu Lei stood beside Tao and followed the elder's gaze to the door, "Are you wondering what that room is?" 

          Tao nodded but said nothing, continuing on his stare at the door at the end of the hallway. 

          Wu Lei cleared his throat, "Well, actually, that's Kris office." 

          Tao looked over at Wu Lei, "Kris' office, you said?" 

          Wu Lei nodded, "Yeah. You know? Places people work in and stuff?" 

          Tao chuckled and looked at the door, a part of him curious as to what might be behind the door. 

          Wu Lei saw the look in Tao's eyes and he sighed, "You're not going in there. Now come on, to the living room!" 

          Tao let Wu Lei drag him away from the hallway, walking down the stairs until they reached the living room. Wu Lei let go of Tao's hand and walked over to one of the three seating couches, plopping down onto the seat and letting out a sigh. Tao decided to take his seat on one of the two seated couches, leaning back against the backrest and staring at Wu Lei's tired expression. 

          "Anything you want to talk about?" Wu Lei asked as he peered at Tao, watching the elder expectantly. 

          Tao thought but soon shook his head, "Not really." 

          Tao and Wu Lei had basically talked about everything that they both had interest in already — their favourite sports, their favourite video games, their favourite shows and the likes — so they now had no ideas on what else they could talk about. They could talk about gang stuff but Tao was still trying to cope with having to be in a whole other gang, so that was out of the question. They already knew each other, already came around in introducing themselves and telling each other their backstories. 

          Tao paused at the thought as he suddenly remembered something. Didn't Kris just tell him that morning that Wu Lei went by the name 'Oh Lei' for undercover? How about Wu Lei's story? When Wu Lei first told Tao and Chen his story the day before, was it entirely true? After all, Wu Lei had been undercover. Maybe the story was made up just like the name? Or maybe there's some part in the story Wu Lei made up which was true. So, maybe, fifty percent of the story told was true while the other half was all made up? 

          "You're daydreaming," the male heard Wu Lei saying and instantly snapped out from his train of thoughts, turning to Wu Lei to find that the teenager had already

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter