Chapter 2

The Ace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a Sunday morning with the streets still busy with traffic and people, but at least it had gone down a little since Sunday is usually the day off for many people — workers, students and the likes. Everyone could always just sit back and relax and just enjoy their lives like they were meant to, instead of rushing around and trying to get things done in time. Life is too short for people to worry things. 

          Even so, that didn't stop a certain night club waiter from doing just that. 

          Tao was sitting on a stool near the cafe's huge window pane with his cup of coffee on the tall table, adding a cube of sugar into his coffee and stirring it slowly with a teaspoon to dissolve the sugar. Tao's eyes were trained to the scenery outside, looking at the road that was filled with cars flying to and fro and people would would occasionally appear on the sidewalk and momentarily block Tao's view from the scenery outside. Even though the morning was as peaceful and quiet as it could possibly be, there's a war going on instead inside of Tao's head. 

          Tao's thoughts were all over the place, jumbled up together like when you throw garbages into the river. Those garbages would compile into one corner and taint the clear water into an ugly brown colour, and that's exactly the state Tao's mind was in. Tao's brain was littered with thoughts and nothing was making sense to him right now. 

          The incident the day before had him up all night and questioning the whole situation. Sehun was creating more questions for Tao instead of answering them for him. Tao wondered if something had gotten into the kid, probably like he had seen a ghost and Tao's house was the closest the boy could get to. 

          What was Sehun talking about? How did he know Tao? How did he know about Baekhyun, Chen, Chanyeol and Kai? What did he meant when he said they were coming after him? Who are this 'they' anyway? 

          So many questions, yet so little answers. However, one thing that Tao could be certain of was Sehun's name. Tao remembered hearing that exact same name somewhere, although he wasn't exactly sure where. 

          Tao had tried to remember where he had heard the name before but no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't find it anywhere in his memory card. Tao felt like the first time he met Sehun, the boy was also doing something similar. The same scared look and the same timid voice. 

          Tao sighed and hung his head. He wasn't getting anywhere with this. 

          "Hey," a gentle voice called and Tao could sense somebody taking the stool opposite of his on the other side of the small round table, "You okay?" 

          Tao looked up at a pair of familiar gentle eyes — Jinfu. 

          Right, he had invited Jinfu over to have breakfast with him. Tao had also told Jinfu that he had something on his mind that he needed to share with Jinfu in hopes that the elder could understand. Most of the time Jinfu won't be able to help Tao with his problems, but being able to let those troubling thoughts out was way better than keeping them hidden inside and stowed away somewhere deep and dark. 

          "Yeah," the younger nodded and rubbed his temple, "At least, I think."

          Jinfu nodded in understanding and waited for Tao to be ready to talk to him about whatever it was that had been bothering his mind. Tao took in a few breaths to calm himself down. Then, Tao looked up at Jinfu and started to recount what happened on the previous night. 

          Jinfu listened intently as Tao told him about Sehun, about his warnings and everything else. Tao did left out a few details, thinking that they were not important. Details like the name of the boy who came to warn him and also the names of his supposed 'friends'. 

          Jinfu took in a slow breath when Tao was finally done with his story, breathing out through his nose with the same slowness. Tao just watched Jinfu breathed in and out again through his nose. The third time is the charm as Jinfu let out a sigh when he was exhaling. 

          "Tao oh Tao," the elder massaged his forehead, "Give me a reason why I haven't abandoned you yet." 

          "Because we're friends," the younger said with a shrug, "Before I moved out of China." 

          Jinfu shot him a glare, but the slightly upturned corners of his lips suggested otherwise, "I hate you."

          Tao only nodded, "Noted." 

          Jinfu sighed again before composing himself, "So, there was this kid who told you to stay away from some friends that you made in the bar?" 

          Tao nodded and Jinfu frowned. 

          "He said that they meant harm," there was a nod from Tao, "And that you should stay away from them?" 

          "Basically," was Tao's answer. 

          Jinfu seemed to be in distress over the matter as he combed his hair back and inhaled deeply, "I'm not even you, but I could already feel the white hair growing." 

          Tao glanced momentarily at Jinfu's hair before looking back at his face again, "Your hair is still as slick black as it could possibly be, don't worry about a single thing." 

          One glare from the elder warned the younger to not try and be too smart with him. Jinfu can put up with Tao's attitude, but if the younger goes overboard with it the elder might just snap. Tao shut his mouth tightly at the warning and waited for Jinfu's next words. 

          "Why does danger follow you wherever you go, Huang Zitao?" 

          A shrug, "Don't ask me, I don't have the answers." 

          Jinfu nodded before straightening himself, "Then, do you believe the kid?" 

          "Pardon?" 

          "The kid that came to warn you about the new friends you made," the elder explained, "Do you believe him?" 

          Tao hummed thoughtfully — now that was a question worth thinking about. 

          "I don't know," the younger replied, "Baek and the rest don't seem like bad people, but the Sehun kid doesn't seem to mean any harm either. He looked very serious when he told me to avoid Baek and the rest." 

          Tao didn't notice how Jinfu tensed slightly at what he said because once Tao looked back up at him for a reply, Jinfu had already calmed himself down so as to not alarm the younger — that would be the last thing Jinfu wanted to happen right now. 

          "Well, I'm not the one being asked the question," the elder finally said and gestured, "You choose on whether or not you want to believe the kid." 

          Tao crossed his arms and looked down as he went deep into thought. Baekhyun and the rest weren't bad people, although you do have to wonder about the pure coincidence that Baekhyun and Chanyeol actually knew Chen and Kai. It seemed too coincidential, especially since he met Chen and Kai the day right after meeting Baekhyun and Chanyeol. The Sehun boy also seemed odd and out of place, but something about him told Tao that he meant well and that he should probably listen if he wants to survive. It could be the sincerity in his eyes and the worry in his voice, or it could be the familiar sounding name. 

          Either way, Tao had made up his mind. 

          "Jinfu," the elder looked up at the call of his name, "Can you run the club by yourself tonight? I think I'll try to avoid it for today." 

          Jinfu looked at Tao for a moment before slowly nodding, "If that's what you wish." 

          "So, heeding the kid's warning?" Tao nodded at Jinfu's question, "Okay then, take all the time that you need, come back once you're done settling it. I'll try to run the club without you." 

          "Thanks," the younger said gratefully. 

          Jinfu shook his head, "I'm your friend, this is what friends are for." 

          "Although," the younger looked up to hear out what the elder had to say next, "If you get into trouble again, don't find me. I'll probably abandon you instead." 

          Jinfu laughed as he ran off from his stool when Tao tried to hit him. 

          The two spent the morning drinking coffee and just chatting about whatever they could think of — discussing about the hottest news on the paper, complaining something about 'typical humans' when they saw something that irritates them, and also betting on things that would happen like "Bet a hundred that the lady will call a cup of cappuccino". 

          Jinfu ended up handing over a hundred when the lady bought anything but a cup of cappuccino. 

          When noon was about to come, Jinfu excused himself saying that he had some matters to attend to. Tao knew that Jinfu won't tell him what those matters were so he didn't ask. The two bid farewell and promised to meet again the next morning before they parted ways. 

          Jinfu looked back to make sure Tao was out of earshot before pulling out his phone and dialling in a number that he knew by heart. Jinfu would always dial this number if he had a problem, because he believed that the person he was seeking would have the answers to whatever problems he's facing. Jinfu pressed the 'call' button and put the phone to his ears, waiting for the other line to pick up. 

          There was a 'click' and a familiar voice rang from the other side, "Hello?" 

          Jinfu breathed in steadily. 

          "Kris, we got a problem." 

 

 

 

Tao decided to spend the day off shopping since that his parents were out and there wasn't really anything he could do at home. It had been a while since the last time he shopped anyway — and when was that again? Tao was definitely a hundred percent sure that it wasn't a month ago. 

          The shopping mall closest to Tao's place was piled with people — it being a Sunday, many people decided to come out and shop around to spend the time. Tao was used to this kind of scene though — he be damned if he's not used to such things. Tao lives in a city! 

          Tao wandered around and found himself stopping in front a boutique shop selling his favourite brand — Gucci. Normally, Tao wouldn't buy anything for himself especially if he didn't need it. But it's been a while since Tao last visited his favourite Gucci shop, so he didn't see no reason to check it out. 

          Tao couldn't remember the last time he had walked down shelves and tables displaying products of his favourite brand — it felt like a century ago the last time he did something like that. Now that Tao was looking through the displays of products, he was seeing newly produced products. However, as much as Tao wanted them, he had to hold back the urge to buy them — he was just passing by, he didn't need them. 

          Tao lingered in the shop for some time — since that he wasn't buying any of these, he might as well admire them while he was at it. Tao would pick up some of the products and trying them out — spraying just a bit of the cologne on his wrist to test out the fragrance; wearing the shoes and walking a few steps in them to test out the comfortable level; and also checking out some of the bags there were. Tao ended up reluctantly leaving the place after staying there for probably a few hours — no exaggeration, he actually stayed there for around two and a half hours before leaving. 

          Tao continued to roam the shopping mall for a bit, walking into boutique shops from time to time if he saw promotions or anything that he finds interesting. Tao didn't buy anything though, just walking around the place and checking things out. Tao looked at the time and pursed his lips — there was another four hours until one o'clock in the afternoon. 

          Tao felt somebody tapping onto his shoulder and so he turned around, looking around in confusion when he saw no one behind him. Tao felt his shoulder being tapped again and he tried to turn as fast as he could to catch the person patting his hsoulder. Swiftly, Tao turned just ever so slightly when he felt a tap again before quickly spinning the other way and successfulyy catching the person who had been patting on his shoulder. 

          They always fall for the trick. 

          "Got you," the male's eyes followed the arm that he was holding, his eyes travelling up to the face and his eyes widened when he saw who it was. 

          It was a short male — shorter than Tao, at least, probably not all that small if Tao wasn't so tall — with a petite figure, making him look feminine at first glance. The man had brown hair with the bangs parted and showing off the forehead — the bangs were slightly curled at the end. His eyes were round but not big, lips thin when he smiles. 

          It was Baekhyun. 

          "B-Baekhyun," the younger found himself stuttering out as he saw the last person he was hoping to see that day. 

          "Tao," the petite male tilted his head and smiled widely, "What are you doing here?" 

          Tao looked around to try and find an escape, meanwhile also answering Baekhyun's question, "Just wandering around and checking things out." 

          Baekhyun hummed at the answer, "I see." 

          Tao couldn't find any way to escape from the elder so he ended up looking back at the petite male before him. Suddenly remembering about three other people, his head snapped upwards to see if there was anyone with Baekhyun. No one — there was no signs of Chanyeol, Chen or Kai. 

          "Where are the rest?" Tao asked as he looked back at Baekhyun. 

          "'The rest'?" 

          "Chanyeol, Chen and Kai," the male listed and gestured, "They're not with you today?" 

          Baekhyun let out an 'oh' and laughed, "No, they're busy with something." 

          Tao quirked a brow, "What are they busy with?" 

          Baekhyun only smiled, but the smile carried an unsettling feeling with it. Tao felt a chill down his spine and frowned, but he didn't say anything about it. Tao decided that it was best that he doesn't ask Baekhyun any more questions. 

          "So," the male decided to change the subject instead, stuffing his hands into his pockets and looking at his surroundings, "You came alone?" 

          Baekhyun brightened a little, "Oh no, I'm not alone!" 

          Tao looked over at Baekhyun as the latter continued, "I came here with another friend of mine. There was nothing to do back at our place which is why we came out here to shop." 

          "Well," the petite male sheepishly chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck, "Actually, I was the one who had nothing to do and decided on coming out to shop. He's just with me because I asked him to come with me and keep me company." 

          Tao smiled lightly at that, "I see. So where's this friend of yours?" 

          "He went to the bathroom just now," the petite male reported, "I was waiting for him when I saw you." 

          Tao looked up and around worriedly, "You should probably go back to your friend then. I think he'll be worried if he can't find you when he comes out." 

          Baekhyun waved his hand nonchalantly, "Nah, he won't be worried. In fact, he'll be more than happy to abandon me to my own devices while he goes back." 

          Tao had a brow raised in interest, "Some friend you got there." 

          "What can I say?" Baekhyun shrugged with a smile, "D.O isn't exactly the friendliest there is, really." 

          Tao hummed, "So, you won't go back to wait for him?" 

          "Oh no, I will," the petite male said as he nodded, "Just so that he knows that he can never get rid of me." 

          Tao chuckled at that statement, "Some friend you are." 

          Baekhyun beamed proudly, "Damn right I am!" 

          "Come on," the petite male took the younger's hand and started to pull him to a direction, "Let me introduce my friend to you." 

          Tao widened his eyes and started to panic, his new burst of motivation to find an escape filled his mind as he looked around frantically. Tao tried his best to resist the pull but Baekhyun proved to be stronger than he looked once again. Tao had no choice but to stumble behind Baekhyun if he wanted to catch up to the petite and shorter male. 

          Tao stopped when Baekhyun did and before the taller could object, the elder placed a finger on his lips to shush him. 

          "Come on now," the brunette clicked his tongue, "It won't be that bad!" 

          Tao only flashed Baekhyun a tight smile — he's sure that it will be. 

          "Oh, here he comes," the brunette announced and immediately dashed off to greet his friend, leaving Tao behind to fend for himself. 

          Sehun's warning suddenly played in his head then. 

          'They're not your friends. You can't trust them, no matter how convincing they are.' 

          Tao should probably get out of here while he still can, now that Baekhyun was distracted with his other friend. As friendly as Baekhyun was, Tao took the day off from the bar for the very reason of not wanting to see Baekhyun there. Never in a million years would Tao have expected Baekhyun to be shopping around at the same mall as he was. 

          Tao's foot twitched and was ready to make a run for it. Tao's heart was beating so loudly that his ears was drumming to the pace of his heart. Cold sweat on his palms and his lips were growing dry — Tao had to get out of there while he still could. 

          Tao his heel and was about to take his first step away from the scene. 

          "Tao," there was an exclamation of his name and the voice belonged to Baekhyun. 

          Tao closed his eyes and took in a long deep breath, cursing at himself in his mind for taking his time when he should've just run for it. Tao couldn't run from Baekhyun now or else he would look weird and arouse suspicion. So, Tao turned around to face Baekhyun, a wide smile plastered on his face as he looked at his friend. 

          The only problem was, what caught Tao's attention first wasn't Baekhyun, rather it was the person standing beside Baekhyun and was supposedly Baekhyun's friend. 

          The person was a male and shorter than Baekhyun. The male seemed chubby but Tao could be a hundred percent certain that the male wasn't — it was the outfit's fault, it didn't do a great job at making him look thin. But what caught Tao's attention the most was his features. 

          The male had round and owl like eyes, his hair short and showing off his forehead. His skin was not as pale as Baekhyun's, but still pale nonetheless. His lips were plump and in a shape of a heart. 

          Tao's heart stopped beating when he laid eyes on the male. Tao was sure that the blood had drained from his face upon finding out who the friend was, his blood running cold. Tao could feel sweat rolling down his forehead and his neck, cold sweat building up in his palms as he tried desperately for them to go away. 

          "Tao," the petite male introduced the taller male to his friend, "Meet my friend, we call him D.O." 

          "His name is Do Kyungsoo." 

 

 

 

Tao didn't know whether it was just him or time had actually stopped as he stared at Baekhyun's friend. Baekhyun — a friend that he met at a bar — came to the shopping mall with his friend. That friend was Kyungsoo, the man who — along with Suho and Xiumin — used to come and terrorise him and his family for the debt his father owed. 

          Baekhyun is friends to Kyungsoo. 

          And then an image of Sehun crossed his mind and he remembered why Sehun looked so familiar. 

          Suddenly things seemed to make sense, but at the same time confusion rose in him too. That was why Sehun warned about Baekhyun and the rest — that was how Sehun knew about them in the first place. The kid was a part of Suho's gang and if Baekhyun knew Kyungsoo, then that meant there's only one possible way Sehun would know about Baekhyun. 

          Baekhyun is a part of Suho's gang. 

          However, what confused Tao was: What did they want with him? Sehun said that they — supposedly referring to Suho and his gang — were after him. What do they need Tao for, really? 

          Tao's train of thoughts was cut short when he heard Kyungsoo bidding at him, "Hey." 

          There was a smile on Kyungsoo's face, but his eyes told a different story. He knows, the Devil always know. Kyungsoo knew Tao, but he was acting as if he didn't just because he could. 

          Tao didn't know whether to be scared and intimidated by Kyungsoo or to be angry and hate him even more than he already had. 

          "Hi," the tall male's smile was tight, his voice just a tad bit choked. Tao cursed himself mentally and hoped Kyungsoo didn't notice. 

          But hope is a luxury that Tao can't afford because Kyungsoo was no stupid man. The man deserved to be one of Suho's 'bodyguard' for a reason, and his strength and precision were not the only reasons. Kyungsoo must have noticed the slight choke in Tao's voice, even though he doesn't show it. 

          Kyungsoo instead asked, "What's your name?" 

          'You already know my name,' but Tao didn't say it out loud, swallowing down the retort as he introduced a bit shakily, "My name is Huang Zitao." 

          "But you can just call him 'Tao'," the petite male suddenly chimed beside Kyungsoo, reminding Tao that he was still there. 

          "Yeah," the shortest nodded. 

          "I know that." 

          Tao almost broke out into a run at that. Tao's legs were itching to run, to get as far away from these two as possible. So far away that they wouldn't know that he was ever here in the first place. 

          Maybe Tao should go back to China where he belonged, Korea didn't seem as safe and nice of a place as it had been when he first came here anymore. Tao could speak his native tongue again too instead of speaking a foreign language for another few more years or longer — he wondered if a long period of time of speaking in a language that isn't his native could affect his ability to speak his Mother language. Tao could also eat his favourite food again when he gets back to China! 

          "Do you have any plans for tonight, Tao?" Baekhyun asked out of the blue as he tilted his head so it was resting against Kyungsoo's, "I was thinking we could spend some time together." 

          But then again, this is no story. This is reality. No one can run from the cruel thing that is called 'reality'. 

          Tao wanted to say 'no'. Tao wanted to scream at them, punch them in the face and then run away as fast as he could like there will be no tomorrow. Tao just wanted them gone, just wanted to be left alone without the need to worry about things and people from the past. 

          Unfortunately for Tao, that's not how reality works. 

          "I don't know," the taller male said with a shrug as he scratched the back of his head, "I mean, I need to run the bar." 

          Tao probably should call Jinfu to say that he didn't need the day off anymore. 

          Baekhyun was having none of that, shaking his head as he reasoned, "You can tell your friend to do it for you, can't you?" 

          Tao couldn't reply, not when Baekhyun announced again the moment Tao opened his mouth to reply, "Excellent! Then we will be seeing you tonight!" 

          Baekhyun took hold of Kyungsoo's hand and smiled widely, "Eight o'clock, at XYZ-Ace Cafe." 

          "We'll be waiting." 

          Baekhyun's smile was a dark one as he pulled Kyungsoo away from Tao, who stood frozen in his spot with the image of Baekhyun's dark smile imprinting itself into his brain. 

          There was no running from this, and Tao knew it. 

          It's either find them himself, or they find him. 

 

 

 

Tao left the shopping mall shortly after Baekhyun and Kyungsoo's departure. Okay, actually, Tao just left the shopping mall a few minutes ago. Tao was frozen in his spot for so long that it took a man bumping into him for him to snap out from his thoughts. 

          Tao almost screamed on the spot — the whole situation was putting him on edge. Just when Tao thought Suho and his gang could just roll out of his life a month ago, they just have to come right back into his life! And what for? Tao already paid his father's debts, what else did they want from him? Tao just couldn't understand! 

          Tao wondered how the Hell had his life came crashing down so terribly with this whole gang business in the first place. Tao didn't even know that there was this sort of thing until his father admitted to having borrowed some money from one of Korea's most dangerous gang. Tao wondered if the police know about this — the existence of gangs, he meant. 

          Tao groaned and tousled his hair in frustration, pulling at the strands and wondering if he was strong enough to pull his hair out. Tao decided that it was impossible — not because he didn't have the strength, just he doesn't think being bald suits him. Tao lost count of how many sighs escaped his lips as he made his way back home. 

          Tao was surprisingly exhausted by the time he got home, plopping down onto the couch and almost instantly falling asleep if it weren't for his troubled thoughts. Tao's eyes were droopy but his mind was still running wild with thoughts. Right now, Tao was especially thinking about the invitation Baekhyun gave him. 

          'Eight o'clock, at XYZ-Ace Cafe.' 

          That sentence played like a broken record in his head, being said over and over so many times that Tao started counting it like he was counting sheep. At some point, boredom and exhaustion overpowered his fear and anxiety and he let slumber take him into Dreamland. At least there, Tao need not worry about anything. 

          It was only one o'clock when he took his nap but he didn't really bother. Tao had a dreamless nap and by the time he woke up, it was evening and the sun was starting to set. Tao woke up to find his father sitting on the living room's armchair and reading the day's newspaper while the television was on and showing some romance movie that Tao guessed his mother had been watching. 

          Tao's mother was nowhere to be seen in the living room, but faintly he could hear sounds coming from the kitchen. Tao groaned as he slowly sat up on the couch, a slight ache in his neck since he had his head rested on the arm rest. Tao's father looked over when he heard his son moving. 

          "Well you're finally awake," his father commented before looking back to his newspaper. 

          Tao only hummed as he tried to get his bearings. 

          Faintly, in a distance, Tao could hear Baekhyun's voice reminding him about something. 

          The invitation. 

          "Dad?" Tao's father turned to him, "What time is it?" 

          Tao's father momentarily glanced down at his watch before looking back up at Tao, "Half an hour away from seven o'clock." 

          Tao nodded, 'There's still a little time.' 

          "Dad," the father looked up again, "Can I ask you a question?" 

          "Sure, what is it that you want to ask about?" 

          "How did you know about Suho?" Tao looked at his father and saw him tense. 

          "I-It's a long story," his father answered. 

          "Tell me about it," the young man pressed, trying to force the truth out of his father. 

          Tao's father rubbed the back of his neck after closing the newspaper, looking over at Tao as he asked, "Why are you suddenly so interested in knowing about it?" 

          Tao paused for a moment, "Curiosity." 

          Tao's father hummed, "There's a saying, 'Curiosity kills the cat'." 

          "Maybe I deserve it," the father was confused at Tao's statement but the latter quickly shook his head before the elder could ask him anything, "Just tell me. I'm your son, I deserve to know." 

          Silence hung in the air as Tao wait

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter