Chapter 10

The Ace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook heaved a tired sigh as he placed his pen down and leaned forward onto his desk, his palms covering his face while his elbows rested on the bone white surface where papers laid scattered. Jungkook groaned groggily — albeit, the sound coming out muffled due to the palms covering his face — before rubbing his face in a massaging movement, dragging his hands down after a while to reveal his closed eyes. Jungkook used his nose to inhale long and deep — since his nose weren't covered like his mouth was — cracking his eyes open lazily only to stare intensely at the monitor in front of him with his brows furrowed — as if whatever thing that was displayed on the screen had offended the young police officer in more ways than one. 

          Displayed on the bright screen of the flat monitor before Jungkook was the report that he had gotten from one of the witnesses of the fire that happened recently, the screen glowing brightly and hurting the young police officer's eyes which caused said officer to rub his dry eyes and yawn, hopefully wetting his eyes with the tears that comes with a yawn. After wiping away the tears that formed from the yawn, Jungkook looked down at the countless sheets of papers that were strewn across his table — each piece recorded accounts from different witnesses. Above the spread out papers on the table and beside Jungkook's folded arms — the young police officer had rested his forearms on the table — was the pen that the officer had been holding not too long ago, It's cap on its behind and the tip just staring off into a random direction — whatever direction that Jungkook had placed it in. 

          Jungkook — even though he was of a young age at twenty — had bags under his pair of dark eyes — due to his overwork and having to stay up late at night — the colours just as dark as his eyes — an exaggeration, needless to say — and very prominent — that was no lie as they stood out like a sore thumb on his otherwise fair skin. The hair on Jungkook's head was also in disarray — although he had only tidied and styled it this morning before coming to work — purplish brown strands sticking out in all kinds of directions possible — some strands stood up tall like it was trying to find an Internet connection while others found their way into his face, covering his forehead even if just a little. Jungkook's usually bright and lively eyes that glistened twenty-four seven was now lifeless and void of all kinds of emotions, his dark orbs not at all reflecting the fluorescent light above him — or basically reflecting any sort of light — making his eyes look darker than they already are — turning his dark brown eyes a darker shade, almost black. 

          Jungkook heaved yet another sigh as he brought a hand up to his hair, running his fingers through the mess of purplish brown strands atop his head before patting down on it lightly — a poor and useless attempt at tidying his hair. Jungkook let out a huff before looking down at the papers that were all over his table, his eyes darting from one sheet to another in rapid movement, allowing his eyes only a fraction of a second to skim through the first few words of each accounts. Jungkook stared for another moment longer, losing himself in his own thoughts before some knocking on his table caught his attention, turning his head to look at the person standing beside him in his cubicle. 

          "Hey," the police officer that Jungkook met eyes with offered a soft smile before slowly placing a mug down onto his papers — there wasn't any space on the table that was not covered by the accounts, though it wasn't like Jungkook gave a damn about it anyway — asking gently, "Are you okay?" 

          The police officer that was standing beside Jungkook in his cubicle was a young man — he looked older than Jungkook, though just by a little bit based on his appearance — with curly brunette hair, his bangs covering his forehead and eyebrows and just ending right above his eyes. The police officer's eyes were round and dark — the size was not exactly small nor big — and when his lips stretched into a smile, a rectangular shape formed. The police officer had pale fair skin and was quite tall. 

          "Officer Taehyung," the purplish brunette greeted the other police officer with a forced smile — the young police officer wasn't sure whether it came out as natural as possible — before asking, "What are you doing?" 

          Taehyung raised a brow at Jungkook's inquiry questioningly, placing a fisted hand on a hip — in an otherwise girly bossy manner — as he mused — his voice bordering that of offended and amusement, "Is it wrong of me to give my favourite junior something to drink?" 

          Jungkook blinked a few times at what Taehyung said — wide eyes filled with confusion — before peeking into the recently placed mug to check its content, realising with a soft 'oh' that Taehyung had just given him hot chocolate. Jungkook observed as the dark brown substance swirled inside the white mug that Taehyung had just put down onto his table — on top of all the papers that the young police officer had randomly spread onto his table, too — the swirls of the hot chocolate were all in light colours due to the marshmallows floating on the liquid. Jungkook spotted four marshmallows floating on his drink and they were all small — the size in which you can put them into a cup, and not the size where you use in bonfires — and came in four different colours — Jungkook could see light blue, light green, light yellow and pink — huddling together in the centre of the hot chocolate with colourful lines connecting from them. 

          Jungkook looked back up at Taehyung and gave him a thankful smile, holding onto the ear of the mug and lifting it off from the table before doing a toasting movement as he chirped — as cheerfully as possible, "Thanks." 

          Taehyung shrugged and waved a hand — an indication that there was no need for the younger to thank him — placing the same hand down onto Jungkook's table — slightly leaning the weight of his body into that arm — and watched silently as the purplish brunette brought the mug to his lips. Jungkook tilted his head back with his lips still on the rim of the mug, his lips slightly patted to allow the hot chocolate to flow into his mouth and invade the cavern. The hot chocolate was not too sweet when it touched Jungkook's tongue, but when the young officer's taste buds were met with the swirls from the marshmallows, a burst of sweetness invaded his senses and soon the purplish brunette found himself almost unable to stop drinking the drink — the younger managed to control himself in the end. 

          Jungkook let a hum emit from his throat, placing the mug back down onto the paper covered table before looking up at Taehyung, a smile etching its way onto his face as he complimented, "It taste good." 

          Taehyung huffed out a soft laugh as he turned his head to the side and lifted his chin up in a prideful manner, one of his hand doing a hair flip motion — although the lack of long hair on his head — as he boasted, "Of course it would taste good! Nothing that is ever made by me — Kim Taehyung — would taste terrible!" 

          Jungkook rolled his eyes and made a gagging noise upon hearing Taehyung's statement, glancing sideways at the elder while doing so in time to catch the latter scowling at him — eyebrows furrowed to form a crease on the brunette's glabella and lower lip protruding out to cover the upper lip in a form of a pout — the motion made by Taehyung had Jungkook grinning not-so-secretly with his lips stretched widely in smugness. Taehyung noticed the smug grin and it only caused his scowl to deepen, but he did nothing to try and wipe the expression off of the younger — instead, the older officer opted to calm himself down by taking deep and slow breaths. It wasn't like that stupid grin of Jungkook's could kill him or anything — plus, it's been a while since the elder last seen the younger's smile, so to see that grin on the purplish brunette's face was a good change. 

          "Anyway," the elder of the two said as he was clearing his throat, instantly getting the attention of the younger who stopped laughing, "How is it coming?" 

          Jungkook watched as Taehyung gestured to something beside him on the desk, following the movement to find the scattered pieces of papers, immediately knowing what the elder was trying to imply at and letting a sigh escape from his lips — suddenly, the tiredness from just a few minutes ago came back in full blast like a truck and the young police officer felt as if the weight of the world was put onto his shoulders all over again as he ran a hand down his face and murmured into the palm that covered his mouth, "Not good at all." 

          Jungkook had been reading the accounts that he gathered from the witnesses of the recent fire incident repeatedly for the past few days now, and had also been doing just that until the arrival of his senior officer Taehyung — the purplish brunette officer had been trying his best in figuring out what course of action should he take next after reading the accounts. All the accounts that Jungkook read had basically been the same — for those living further away from the Huangs, they claimed about seeing the area of the house shining brightly in amber; for those living closer to the house, they stated having to notice the fire and smoke coming from the Huang's family's house — none of them were different in any way, shape or form at all. The only accounts that Jungkook had read thus far that were different from the ones which he read — the only two accounts that varied from the other twenty plus accounts recorded — were taken from Jiang Jinfu — a member of Kris' gang for crying out loud — and Huang Zitao — the son of the two burnt victims from the house fire — both of which had been in a car and on their way to the Huang house when they came across the incident. 

          Thinking back, Jungkook still could not understand why senior officer Hoseok had easily let the Zitao guy off the hook after said guy trespassed a crime scene — even if Zitao was a relative to the victims of the fire, that still does not give him the right to just enter a crime scene like he owns the place. Jungkook had meant to ask Officer Hoseok about it — about why the senior had demanded for the junior to let the trespasser go — but that thought slipped out from his mind as soon as he was given the task to take care of the witnesses' accounts — a tedious work if you ask Jungkook, but it's not like he could do anything about it anyway. Now that Jungkook thought about it, maybe he should ask Hoseok about it, probably like right now — if he could find Hoseok first, that was. 

          Speaking of Hoseok, "Where is Officer Hoseok?" 

          When Jungkook lifted his head up to look at Taehyung, he found the elder looking around him at the office, trying to find a certain brunette male police officer which he mentioned earlier — the younger did the same soon after. The office was mainly quiet saved for the sound of printing and keyboards typing, the occasional murmurs from the other police officers found in the room also floated in the air and blended with the sounds of machines, creating an odd electronically and monotonous melody. There were not many officers present in the office at this hour of the day — it was already afternoon, which meant most of the officers had already went out to have their lunch — so the place was considerably empty, making it easier for the two of them to try and locate their brunette target. 

          And, speak of the Devil. 

          "Hoseok," the elder of the two was the first to spot the brunette officer, waving his arms and gesturing for Hoseok to come over to Jungkook's cubicle. 

          In a blink of an eye, Hoseok went from the printer all the way on the furthest end of the wall to inside the cubicle, passing even Taehyung who was standing at the cubicle entrance and taking up most of the space — this should have already made it difficult for anyone to enter the cubicle without having to bump into Taehyung first, but judging by the look of surprise on Taehyung's face, Jungkook suspected that the curly brunette senior was trying to figure out how the Hell Hoseok was able to enter the cubicle without him noticing. Jungkook blinked a few times in confusion at the brunette male — Hoseok, not Taehyung — mind running a hundred miles per second as it wondered on the few possibilities at how Hoseok was able to come into his cubicle from so far away and without alerting Taehyung — for a moment, the purplish brunette thought of the possibility of having a teleporter as a friend. Of course, all those stupid thoughts was immediately thrown out of the window when a wide grin suddenly broke out on Hoseok's face — as expected of the smiler. 

          "You guys called me?" Hoseok chirped out the question as he looked between Jungkook and Taehyung, eyes twinkling in anticipation like he was waiting for one of them to say something. 

          Taehyung was the first between the two — not counting Hoseok — to be brought back to reality, having to clear his throat — in which had effectively broke Jungkook out from his own daze — before offering a small smile at Hoseok and replying, "Yes, we called you." 

          Hoseok let out a soft laugh — not wanting to be too loud lest he bothers the other officers who were concentrating on whatever work they were doing — before asking with a soft clap of his hands, "So! What can I be of help with?" 

          Jungkook immediately took the chance, "I have been wanting to ask you something." 

          Hoseok glanced over at Jungkook with a raised brow, but did not say anything. 

          Jungkook only allowed himself a short time to intake a sharp breath, before he was letting his mouth run on the question that had been on his mind for quite an amount of time already, "Who is Huang Zitao?" 

          Hoseok and Taehyung were staring at Jungkook in surprise — most probably at the question — but the purplish brunette did not just stop there, instead he continued on, "That day of the fire, I can't help but to notice how close you were with that man." 

          Jungkook had been watching — keeping an eye on Zitao after he was told to let him go and chancing a few glances at said male while helping the other officers, only to find Hoseok talking to the male with such a cautious expression on his face like he was afraid of saying the wrong thing. Jungkook had thought that it was weird — having to see someone like Hoseok talking to a person with a cautious look when usually he's the kind to try and cheer up the person, which would usually end up in him getting yelled at or actually successfully making a person feel less like . Jungkook had also wondered on what kind of relationship Hoseok has with the Zitao guy — guessing whether Zitao was some kind of family friend to Hoseok, but the thought was gone as soon as it formed when the other police officers called his name to tell him to concentrate. 

          With a gulp, Jungkook continued to pry, "So, basically saying, what kind of relationship do you have with that guy? Is he your friend or something?"  

          Hoseok was staring silently at Jungkook the whole time the younger was rattling his mouth off — eyes expressionless and unreadable while his lips pressed together gently in a loose pout — whereas Taehyung only looked between the two with obvious confusion engraved in his features — brows knitted together to form creases on his glabella with lips in a pout as he averted his eyes between the two officers — trying to catch up on the conversation since he was left out of the context. The silence that accompanied after Jungkook's questions was an awkward one — tense and chilly, as if a bucket of ice cold water had been poured over all of them — and the purplish brunette officer couldn't help but to feel as if that he had asked the wrong question — or basically sprouted out something bad to offend his senior officer — shifting uncomfortably in his seat — the swivel chair making annoying squeaking noises courtesy of his movements. After a long time of receiving no response from Hoseok, Jungkook started to feel anxious, thinking that he probably did say something to have upset the elder, and was planning to apologise and drop the topic. 

          That was, until Jungkook heard a sigh from Hoseok, and he looked up to see a defeated look on the elder's face as he said, "You were going to ask this question sooner or later anyway, so I might as well come clean about this." 

          Jungkook didn't realise it but when he heard Hoseok said that, he instinctively leaned forward in his seat with his elbows resting on his thighs and fingers laced together, staring intensely at Hoseok as he spoke, "Well, the funny thing is, I known Zitao the same day the fire happened." 

          Jungkook cast a quick glance at Taehyung with surprise evident on his face, but all the elder could offer was a shrug before they were back to listening to Hoseok's storytelling, "It was in the morning, close to noon already at that time." 

          "Boss told us about how there had been a report, made by the one and only Kris Wu Yifan himself," as Hoseok stated that, he let out a huff — half laughter and half scoff — and ran a hand through his brown locks, messing the brunette strands slightly, "Boss informed us that somebody had been breaking the rules lately, and that we should get a report on it and investigate it as soon as we get the time." 

          "It was a kidnapping case," the brunette officer explained with a wave of his hand, "Made by the oh so notorious Suho of the Kim gang." 

          Jungkook made a disgusted look — mostly due to how much the young police officer knew of the infamous Suho's notoriousness —  and when caught by Hoseok and Taehyung — who were looking at him in offence and confusion, each — he merely shook his head and made a dismissive wave, "It's nothing, please continue." 

          Hoseok shook his head, "As I was saying, Suho kidnapped Zitao, who — mind me saying this — should have no relation with him whatsoever." 

          Jungkook quirked a brow at Hoseok, "No relations?" 

          Hoseok chewed his bottom lip before sighing in defeat, "Okay, yes. Zitao's father had a debt history with Suho, but it was already returned! Which means, they should not have any relations at all after that!" 

          Jungkook let out an acknowledged 'ah' while Hoseok just continued, "But, the weird part is, Suho kidnapped Zitao anyway, which was why Zitao was brought in to make an account. Boss wanted to get information on what happened and to see if Suho broke the rules." 

          Jungkook nodded at the explanation, "And during the short amount of time you met him, you became close to him?" 

          Hoseok opened his mouth like he was ready to object, but instantly closed them as if realising something, before shrugging as he said a tad bit grudgingly, "Okay, yeah. Maybe I did become a tiny bit attached to Zitao." 

          "Huh, I see," the purplish brunette officer hummed in understanding — although also a bit absentmindedly — swaying in his swivel chair for a bit before a thought popped up, "Wait, that's it!" 

          Taehyung looked at Jungkook the same time Hoseok did, confused expression evident on both of the senior's faces as the former asked, "What's it?" 

          Jungkook got up from his swivel chair all of a sudden — although not so abrupt to the point of ripping a jump from either of the two senior officers, just enough to cause them to lean back a little in surprise — spinning on his heel so he was facing his desk and started to gather all of the papers that were scattered all over his desk, speaking while doing so, "I could start off my investigation by interrogating Suho!" 

          Taehyung looked at Jungkook quizzically, "You want to see whether he has anything to do with this?" 

          Jungkook nodded — a bit too harshly — as he arranged the papers on his desk and placed them to one side, picking up his workbag that he left hanging from his swivel chair and slinging it over his torso, adjusting the strap before looking up to connect eyes with Taehyung, "Who knows? I might find what I'm looking for." 

          Jungkook turned to leave, but was blocked by Hoseok who stood in his way and placed a palm on his chest to stop him, "Whoa there! You don't know whether he actually has anything to do with this! Who knows? Maybe he doesn't even know something like this happened!" 

          Jungkook only offered Hoseok a smile as he grabbed the elder's wrist gently and pulled it away from his chest, "It's worth a try." 

          As Jungkook passed Taehyung and Hoseok while leaving his cubicle, Hoseok asked out, "Don't you want to at least have lunch first?" 

          "I'll find something," the purplish brunette muttered under his breath, though he suddenly stopped in his steps as he realised something, turning around to face the two older brunette's again to ask, "I almost forgot to ask: Where can I usually see Suho?" 

          While Hoseok offered a helpless shrug, Taehyung answered with, "I heard from somewhere that he really likes to go to this one cafeteria." 

          Jungkook looked over at Taehyung, "What's the name of the cafeteria?" 

          Taehyung pursed his lips and scrunched his eyes shut in a thoughtful manner, humming to himself, "I think the cafeteria is called XYZ-Ace Cafe?"  

          Jungkook nodded, making a mental note to find its location on his phone before waving, "Well, I'll be heading off now! See you guys later!" 

          Taehyung and Hoseok waved Jungkook goodbye and watched as the young purplish brunette officer opened the door of the office and stepped out into the hallway, the door closing behind him and leaving the two brunette's staring after the already gone figure of Jeon Jungkook. 

          "Well, there he goes," the brunette officer with tanned skin said after a whistle and a soft clap of his hands, turning to the paler skinned brunette with a huge grin on his face as he asked, "So, I was on my way to lunch when you guys called. Do you want to go out and have lunch with me?" 

          Taehyung offered a smile to Hoseok, but the smile looked like an apologetic one as he said, "Sorry, I got things of my own to do too. Maybe next time?" 

          Hoseok only smiled a genuine one and shook his head, showing that he was fine with it, "Of course, I understand. Then I guess I'll be seeing you around!" 

          Hoseok waved Taehyung a goodbye and after receiving one back from said officer, he made his way to the door of the office and twisted the knob. 

 

 

 

Hoseok hummed lowly as he stretched his arms above his head, his legs taking him down the hall and towards the lobby room at the end of it. A sigh escaped Hoseok's lips when he felt his muscles loosening up enough — sitting in the same position for a long period of time isn't exactly a comfortable thing to do — and bringing his arms down, he brought one up again to massage his eyes — staring at small letters for a long time isn't exactly good for a person's eyesight, either. As Hoseok entered the lobby, he let his hand fall to his side and looked over to the reception counter, a chirpy bidding at the tip of his tongue as he stared at his red haired friend — or colleague, since they were still at work — from behind — he just came from the hallway after all. 

          "Good afternoon, Officer Park Jimin," the brunette officer bid in a cheerful tone as he came to a stop in front of the reception counter and rested his forearms on the surface, glancing down at his friend as he asked insincerely, "What are you doing right now?" 

          When silence was all that greeted Hoseok after his question, his smile faltered slightly but he didn't let the fact bother him too much, instead he forced the smile to come back up onto his face as he bid again while looking out of the glass doors of the police station, "It's a good day outside, don't you think?" 

          Once again, Hoseok was answered by silence and with worry and hints of irritation in his mind, he turned back to Jimin and closely inspected the red haired male who was still looking down at whatever was on his desk in front of him — tiptoeing in his shoes to look over the counter, Hoseok found a few papers stacked somewhat messily atop each other with an opened record book beside the small stack of papers, making a random guess that Jimin was probably trying to find records that might relate with the report he was working on — or something that is closely similar to his guess — until Hoseok arrived. It was only then when Hoseok realised that Jimin was not moving at all in his seat — the pencil in Jimin's right hand was loosely held with the stationery threatening to fall from between his limp fingers while his non dominant hand was heavily placed on top of the papers, serving as a sort of paper weight. 

          "Hello, Jimin," the brunette police officer had a huge frown on his face at this point as he turned his full attention to his red haired colleague now, bringing a hand to in front of his friend's face and waving it to see said officer's responsiveness, "Anyone in there?" 

          Jimin seemed to have finally snap out from whatever trance he was in after Hoseok waved his hand in front of his face, immediately whipping his head up to connect eyes with the latter, wide round eyes meeting a pair of dangerously squinted eyes — the head jerking movement done by the former was so fast that for a split moment, the brunette officer feared that his red haired friend was going to have a whiplash. Hoseok was so taken aback by the sudden action that he involuntarily jerked his whole body backwar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter