From Me To You

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The strains of soft music pipe through the sound system in the waiting room but other than that all is silent and no one else is around. Chang Wook glances at the woman next to him now sitting so silent. They were waiting for her Aunt while the older woman went through her regular tests and checkup at the doctor's office. Chang Wook had tagged along saying that if they didn't mind, he had to do a quick errand in the city while they were at the doctor's but once they got there he hadn't left.
 

He was worried.

"Are you doing ok?" he asks her quietly. 

She nods, but she looks exhausted. He notice she had spent most of the long car ride, chatting with her Aunt and himself but he knew she had been pretty shaken earlier.

Chang Wook feels an urgent desire to fix everything for her but he doesn't know if there is anything he can do. So instead, he wraps one arm around her and pulls her close letting her lean on his shoulder. He wonders for a second if she would mind, but all he hears is a tired sigh. 

-----

JiHyun knows she shouldn't allow this. She should be keeping her distance especially after her words to him earlier that day. But the warmth of his arm and the solid strength of his shoulders make her realize how much she had needed some comfort.

"I'm sorry," she says quietly, "For what happened this morning... and for this. It's not quite the peaceful vacation you signed up for, is it?"

A gentle kiss lands on her head and he murmurs a protest. His arm pulls her closer in his hold.

JiHyun felt so weary. So tired of fighting her feelings; of putting up a brave front and pretending everything was ok.  Her eyes get blurry but she stubbornly wipes the tears away. She needed to be strong for her Imo, but the tears still insist in coming and finally she just lets them fall. His arms wrap tightly around her as if he knew she needed it and soon she turns her face into his shoulders and sobs out all her fears and worries until finally it feels like there are no more tears left inside.

For long moments they sit there with only the sounds of their heartbeats and the rhythm of their breathing. JiHyun realizes with wonder that, other than her Imo, she's never had someone hold her like this before. She's never had someone to talk to about the fears she's hidden inside. After a while she breathes in a long shuddering sigh, then sits up straight and wipes her face. It's time to face the world again.
 

"I don't know why I'm such a mess" she says ruefully, "Sometimes Auntie is forgetful but today I panicked a little and I overreacted. But, everything is ok. Really."

But she doesn't know who she is trying to convince; him -- or herself.
 

---

Chang Wook's heart feels like breaking a little more at the sight of the woman in front of him trying to be brave. He can't imagine how he would feel if it was him and his mother going through this. Truth was, he might have tried to drink his sorrows away. But here she was keeping it all together by herself. He wants to hold her some more but the set of her shoulders seems to say she was done with crying. At least for now.

"JiHyun..."

What do people say in this situation anyway? That it would be alright? That everything would be ok? None of that sounded right. So he reaches out and holds her hand instead, hoping to convey all his care and feelings with that one small act. They sit t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter