I'll Follow the Sun

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



The car ride back to the cottage is tense and silent. A part of Ji Chang Wook wants to run as far away as he can. Away from the harsh words and reality of earlier. He wants to escape back to his other life before he knew this girl, or that love was a double edged sword and had his feelings and hopes dashed so completely. 

But his pride also tells him that this would prove her point. About people who came here for brief moments only to run back to where they came from once the fun was over. So, when JiHyun had got up to go home he had stubbornly followed without a word; pulling the shopping cart and carrying all the bags as if to prove his own point.

Besides, he still had his things and his friend's Vespa to collect, but he knew after this he wasn't going to stay much longer. His short island getaway was coming to an end. 

---

The familiar scenery flashes past as JiHyun drives down the country lanes, her eyes looking intently at the road in front of her. Once in a while she steals a glance at the stone-faced man beside her. She's never seen him so quiet and serious. This makes her realize with sudden clarity that despite her temper and standoffishness, he'd always been able to disarm her with a smile or his silly sense of humor.  She missed them even more now they were gone.
 

Why oh why did she have to ruin things? Why couldn't she have held her tongue?

JiHyun is certain though, that a short island fling would not have worked for her. She could never have been able to move on as if being with him was just another fun little weekend . But it would have been even worse to agree to some sort of long distance relationship only to be left waiting until all her hopes died; because no matter what he said, it could not work.

After all, she knew very well how reality and life could break people apart. Her father had been a mainlander who had taken her mother away from the island and in the process broken her grandparents hearts. They had never quite forgiven him especially because it meant they never got to see JiHyun for much of her first year and then lost their daughter before they had a chance to reconcile.

A drunk driver had taken her parents one fateful winter night and only through the grace of the Gods had JiHyun been saved, strapped securely in her infant seat. She was barely one then so she had no memories of them. Only pictures of the smiling couple that her Aunt gave her. The very same Aunt, her mother's younger sister, had flown to Seoul to help with arrangements and take JiHyun home to Jeju. Perhaps it was ironic that she claimed to be an island girl but had really been born in a hospital in Seoul.

Her grandparents themselves had been long gone, and though they had never quite gotten over their heartbreak, JiHyun had been secretly glad that her mother and father had found love with each other despite their story being so short. In a way they too had had a chance at a happy ending. 

Because she knew it didn't always end t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter