Like Dreamer's Do

It Happened in Jeju
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Ji Chang Wook was having a pleasant dream. He was on a forest path with her.  They were running, her hands in his and she was laughing happily as they rushed towards the bright rays of the setting sun. He turned to look at her and then all of a sudden he was falling. Falling off a mountainside. Ok, so maybe this was not a pleasant dream.

He woke up with a start only to realize there was someone knocking on his door. His mind felt confused. It was still a little dark outside. Was something wrong? Did JiHyun need help? At this thought he jumped out of bed quickly and rushed to get the door.

 

----

 

Nam Ji Hyun tried to knock a little louder. It was a little difficult to do while she juggled the tray holding coffee and breakfast. Perhaps it was a little mean to make him wake up so early; but she had warned him yesterday that today they would have a very early start. It would be almost a forty minute drive to the fish market and she needed to get there at the crack of dawn to have the best pick of everything.


In the past many of her boarders had enjoyed making this trip to with her. They got to see a different side of Jeju and experience local life. However, she had a feeling this particular guest would not be as enthusiastic about getting up early. But, oh well Mr.  Mainlander, she thinks unsympathetically, you had agreed and when you come to Jeju you can do things the Jeju way. She knocks again.


"Chang Wook-shi. It's almost five, I have to go soon. Maybe we can just skip today and-"
 

The door swings open abruptly and JiHyun almost tumbles forward. Her vision is taken up all of a sudden by the sight of a bare chest inches from her nose. She freezes for a moment before realizing what she is looking at. Then she quickly turns around almost spilling the coffee over the both of them; her face blushing furiously.
 

"Ch-Chang Wook-shi... Why, why are you... undressed?"

Chang wook glances down to realize he only has his PJ bottoms on. He shrugs. His shirtlessness is currently the least of his worries.

"JiHyun, is something wrong?" he glances at the breakfast tray in her hand, feeling even more confused. Was it later than he thought? But it was still dark and she said five didn't she? Who would  be up at this God-awful hour?

"I - I have to go to the market now. But if you've changed your mind and would rather skip this trip...."

Ah, that's right. He had been the one to agree to this God-awful hour.

Yesterday, after the magic of sunset and Mt. Halla, they had headed home in tired, companionable silence. He had enjoyed being able to steal glances of her while she drove down the dark tree-lined roads.

He had offered to buy dinner; but, she said she had already started the broth for saengseong guksu, a Jeju dish of buckwheat noodles in a fish stew, and he was not going to say no to that. 

When she had later brought his dinner, she had asked him if he would like to visit the fish market with her the next morning and he had said yes. She could have asked him if he wanted to watch seaweed dry or crabs crawl across the beach and he would have said yes. There had been some mention of leaving before dawn but his mind had skipped on to happy thoughts of spending more time with her. And then later he had fallen asleep early; tired but happy.
 

Realizing he was standing there like an idiot, Chang Wook pulled the door open wider and lifted the tray from her hands. He looked for a spot to set it on and decided on the kitchen counter. JiHyun waited outside but he noticed she still was not looking him in the eye or anywher

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter