Interlude - Yang Yoseob

Last Farewell

 

*****

 

Yang Yoseob drove away from the graveyard – a beautiful hill with a sorrow within. The actual reason for him to be there has ended two hours ago, but something held him back and chose to stay. He glanced at the man on the front passenger seat. He sighed and shifted his gaze back to the road in front of him.

It was so sudden when he heard the news of her death. Three days before the news broke out he met her at the flower shop she worked in, she’s still very much alive and breathing. Never in his mind would pass a thought of her being… not living. It’s just impossible. Because she’s the person that’s living her life in a certain way that made him feel envious towards her. That carefree self that’s always smiling no matter what life may throw to her way. The entire four years he had known her, he never thought that she’d be the one that leave this soon.  So soon.

A car accident took her life away. It was said that the driver of the taxi she took can’t see the road before him due to the heavy rain and it was night time, thus the car went out of the lane and crashed to the safety rail. He wanted to laugh at Gyuri when she called him to deliver the news, she was joking right? There’s just no way a Goo Hara would leave for good. She must be joking. She had to.

But her shaking voice and occasional sobs were enough proof of it being real. Reality. And it suddenly dawned on him that the bright sun was gone.

Having this need to find out what actually happened, he played detective. He asked for information from the officers, for medical report from the hospital, even from all of the people who he knew that knew her. Later he knew that she’s out from the morning on the day she died. He also found out that there were luggages inside the taxi. Her luggage.  Was she… no, it can’t be. She won’t leave them all behind for good, right? Why would she, she had a perfect life for god’s sake. She even laughed with him that day, just like how she used to be. Was he the last person she talked with before she… He shook his head and tried to concentrate on the road.

His vision got blurred and the tears were threatened to fall. He blinked to stop it to roll down on his cheeks; he can’t break down while driving. He can’t break down, not while he knew that the man beside him showed no emotion at all. Not while his hyung was a walking dead.

He knew Junhyung and Hara had a special bond. Even though Junhyung rarely talk about her – which was not a surprising thing since he was known as the cold one – Yoseob could see the way he looked at her, the way he answered her question, the way he practically glowed whenever she was around. It was as if his world were rotated around her. Like she was his sun, and he was her moon.

But what terrified him more than her death, was Junhyung’s reaction. He remembered when he drove like a madman to the apartment he shared with Junhyung and opened the door to see the lifeless stare of his cousin. The glow that was there before, disappear with her departure. Now that the sun was gone, the moon didn’t glow like before. Its life source was dead – gone.

He was worried like hell when he saw the state that Junhyung was in. He still did his usual routine, did the same thing he used to, but he wasn’t the same hyung anymore. He tried to talk with him and asked him things. But Junhyung wouldn’t talk about it, let alone speak in a full sentence. No matter how hard Yoseob tried, Junhyung was still dead.

It’s been two days since her death and two hours and a half since her funeral. And he knew he had to get his hyung out of this misery before Junhyung would do something stupid. Though the past week had been almost depressing but he knew that there’s always a possibility of Junhyung slit his wrist or jump from a cliff or many other scenarios that ended up with him being in the same place with where Hara is now.

But what can he do? He could only ask for the fate to be kinder, wishing for whoever that wrote their so-called destiny would give mercy to his cousin.

He pressed the accelerator further and the car dashed forward when he remembered her question to him five days ago.

“If I’m no longer a part of your lives anymore, would everyone be okay? Would you be okay? Would… would Yongjun oppa be okay?”

He never figured out why, out of the blue, she asked him a question which had an obvious answer – not that time at least.

“Of course not, Hara. No one would be okay, even me. And you know hyung. He’ll never be okay without you.”

“Is that so? But they have to, you have to… He has to.”

“Maybe we have to… but we don’t want to. You’re our sun, how can we live without you?”

You can, I know you do.”

“What’s wrong? Something happened?”

“Not like that… It’s nothing!”

He can still hear her laughter in his ears. Now a tear slipped down and he quickly wiped it away. He glanced at his hyung again, secretly hoping that he’ll be back to his former self. Hoping for the reality to change where a woman named Goo Hara was... here.

 

****